Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Can I enter a paycheck END DATE to budget for retirement? (3 Merged Votes)

Quicken 2017 - Retiring and a few months and I would like to enter an END DATE for our final paychecks so I can budget through the end of the year. I want to do this in the Income Reminders and Bills to get accurate dollars not via Planning and investing if possible.Using Quicken for 12+ years and have never found a way to do this when changing jobs either.
20 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Curious. Because I just took a look at various Income and Bill reminders that I have set up ... and the Paycheck transaction is the only one that I couldn't find an "end date" in the Income Reminders either.

So, I suspect that you'll have to go to Planning to set a retirement date.  RE: job changes, you'll just have to adjust manually the scheduled transaction.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited October 2018
    Hello pdymersk,

That is a great question and Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, the paycheck reminders do not currently have the ability to set an end date but I think that is a great idea and would be a valuable addition to the program so I have changed your question to an "Idea" post instead.

The Idea posts can be voted on by other members of the Community and are reviewed directly by the Development teams for input on what future functions or features are being requested.  The more votes an Idea receives, the higher it is prioritized by Development for possible implementation.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Agreed, this should be an option. A couple years back, I worked around the problem by entering the reminders in the register up to my retirement date. Then I deleted the master paycheck reminder in the table. It was annoying having the future entries in the register for a few months but the budgeting and cash flow were accurate. As each of the final paychecks was downloaded into the register, I tweaked the deductions like always and then one day, I was retired.

Congratulations by the way.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

Unless your paycheck includes 401k contributions (*); I believe you can use a plain split transaction for your paycheck, which will give you control over the paycheck end date.

To see how the plain split transaction should look, you can either:

- hold down CTRL+SHIFT while opening a paycheck transaction in its account

register or

- create a report that includes a paycheck, with the Customize option "Show splits" checked.

[ (*) You can even create a plain split transaction that includes the correct split lines for 401k contributions, but I think that transaction will not update the "Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts" hidden Quicken account ... which has an impact on Tax reports. If you are using a Quicken Paycheck that has 401k contributions, you can check the Tax Schedule or Tax Summary report to see the effect of the "Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts" account.]
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • SoniaSonia Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Hello pdymersk,

Unfortunately, the paycheck reminders do not currently have the ability to set an end date but I think that is a great idea and would be a valuable addition to the program so I have changed your question to an "Idea" post instead.

The Idea posts can be voted on by other members of the Community and are reviewed directly by the Development teams for input on what future functions or features are being requested.  The more votes an Idea receives, the higher it is prioritized by Development for possible implementation.

Thank you,

Sarah

Hello Sarah! I've been trying to suggest an End Date to paychecks too. We get salary increases, so I would like to setup an end to the current and start a new one with new amount. 
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Hello pdymersk,

Thank you,

Sarah

Sonia,
    if you haven't done so already, please click the "VOTE" button on top of this webpage to make your vote really count.
    You're not the only one who's looking for END DATE support on paychecks.
    Teachers could use this, too, when they're out on summer break without a paycheck coming in.
  • SoniaSonia Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Hello pdymersk,

Thank you,

Sarah

Done!
  • Philip107Philip107 Member ✭✭✭
    Others have requested this and it would be nice. I need it for tax scheduling in the Tax Planner. The Planner uses the Paycheck schedule to show projected income and tax due. The Planner needs to know when the paychecks ends so to predict how current capital gains, interest and dividends today affect the final outcome at years end. This particular paycheck is ending 6 months from now when my wife retires. As it is, the Planner assumes the paycheck is there all year. Not good for planning.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29
    I'm not sure about the Tax Planner ... I always thought it would stop calculating paychecks at your retirement date.

However, there is another Idea post here in the Community about setting an End Date for Paycheck Reminders. This function currently is not available.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7721794/can-i-enter-a-paycheck-end-date-to-budget-for-retirement
    Now I just have to find out how we can vote on this Idea post to make the programmers hear us loud and clear ... I'll get back to you.

[Edited, UKR:  It appears that 2 or more discussions were merged. Ignore the circular reference.
    How to vote is explained later in this discussion]

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideas appear to have a vote count displayed within the topic on the home page.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Ideas appear to have a vote count displayed within the topic on the home page.
    OK. And what do I need to do to "+1" the Vote count?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe function not activated yet? I cannot find either.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • SoniaSonia Member ✭✭
    This would be great, not only to end paychecks at retirement, but to change amounts when we get pay raises, for example!
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sonia said:
    This would be great, not only to end paychecks at retirement, but to change amounts when we get pay raises, for example!
    When you get a raise, just edit the existing paycheck reminder to reflect the new amounts.
    And there's NO WAY that Q could  automate this ... because Q has no way of knowing when/is you get raises, or the amounts.  Even if you download, Q only sees the Net amount of the check ... not all  of the split components.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • HysteriumHysterium Member ✭✭
    I'm a contractor and I get paychecks for the duration of a contract. This may be a week, it may be a year or more. I want to capture the full detail of my paycheck so I break it out by taxes, deductions et al. I enter my paychecks into the Quicken Planner but I don't want any particular paycheck to continue when I know what the end date of my position is. This change will allow for beter planning for people in the position I just described.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited March 29
    Hello @Hysterium

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add this ability.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka