Format for Standard Cheques in Quicken 2018 for Mac (Canada)

I recently switched to Quicken 2018 for Mac and I use Image Ready standard cheques, three cheques to a page. The payee name is showing where the written amount should be. I can only select "standard" cheques and not image ready. In Quicken for Windows Image Ready was one of the selections. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey David,

Sorry to hear that you are unable to print a check.

Can you explain what you mean by Image Ready?  Do these cheques have a business logo on them? 

Do you have the Voucher or Wallet option or just the Standard Option?

Let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • David ParisiDavid Parisi Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi Tyka and thank you for your reply. The issue is not that I cannot print cheques but that they don't print properly according to the Canadian standard set out several years ago. In Canada the first field on a cheque is PAY. In this this field the amount is written out. eg. One Hundred and Twenty........ This field is followed by the the amount written out numerically. The next field below the written amount is Pay to the Order of: This is where the Payee's name and address are placed.

I use Standard, three-to-a-page cheques meant to be printed using my laser printer. The cheques come from the bank and have the fields in the correct order. Quicken for Windows allowed me to choose Standard cheques which print the Payee first and then under that the written-out amount of the cheque. There was also a cheque style called Standard Image Ready which printed my cheques in the correct order. Quicken for Mac does not give me the have this style. I have spoken to Quicken customer service and was told that this style was not available in the Mac version. Here is a definition of an Image Ready cheque.

Image Ready cheques meet imaging standards supported by various financial institutions. Imaging standards allow for the capture of a digital image of your cheques, and provide financial institutions with the opportunity to offer services such as:
    • Faster research and tracing as cheque images will be available online
    • More timely reconciliation as a result of being able to view cleared cheques more quickly
    • Ability to access cheque images via Internet banking

• Potential new services to combat fraud through image technology

Having purchased the Canadian version of Quicken for Mac 2018, I assumed that my cheques would print correctly and that the word cheque would not be spelled check! Customer Service explained that if there are enough people requesting the same cheque writing features they will look into implementing it. Quicken for Mac is far behind the Window's version. Unfortunately switching to another finance application is not practical at this time.

I love my new Macbook Pro, but, at the moment, am disappointed with Quicken 2018 for Mac.

Thanks again for your reply!

David Parisi
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Somewhere in your Settings is an option for Country selection: US, Canada or Both.
    What country have you selected?

I understand that Quicken for Windows Canada has the Cheque Style selections for "Image Ready" next to the old layouts.
    Is it possible that the style selections only show properly if you select "Canada" as the country?
    Is it possible that the Quicken programmers simply forgot adding Canadian Cheque Styles to Q Mac?

edited July 2018
    Thank you for your reply UKR.

My country preference is set to Canada.

The customer service rep actually had to ask someone about my issue because he had never encountered it. The answer from the developers was that the image ready choice is not available. When I asked why the Mac version was so far behind the Windows version he mentioned that Quicken Windows had a 16 year head-start over the Mac version. Not sure that makes a lot of sense to me but I'm not a programmer so don't know what the issues might be when writing for the Mac platform. 

I don't write a lot of cheques so am hopeful that the bank will accept them in the current incorrect format for now.

Thanks again!
  • SeanSean Member
    edited September 2018
    I am having this exact same problem. I am hopeful that this is resolved soon. I have ordered a bunch of new CPA 006 cheques that Quicken 2018 for Mac does not print properly to.  Please fix this as soon as possible.
    edited September 2018
    Sean said:

I am having this exact same problem. I am hopeful that this is resolved soon. I have ordered a bunch of new CPA 006 cheques that Quicken 2018 for Mac does not print properly to.  Please fix this as soon as possible.

Don't hold your breath. They keep sending out all these insignificant updates but something like helping us to print cheques correctly doesn't seem to interest them.
  • Robert CohanRobert Cohan Member
    edited September 2018
    Sean said:

I can print checks fine, but they don't show in check register. I am using Quicken for Macs 2016.
    edited October 2018
    Hello Quicken Harold and thank you for your reply. If you look back to one of my original posts you will see that I have already tried that route. The customer service rep had to ask one of the developers about my question and they told him that at this point the fields on the cheque writing screen cannot be moved. They also said that nothing could be done unless they had several users comment that they were having the same issue. As for the word "cheque" being spelled "check" in the Canadian version of the software doesn't make any sense. All of these things work correctly in the Windows version. 

To say I'm disappointed with Quicken 2018 for Mac is an understatement. When compared to the Windows version it looks and operates like a very poor software beta copy. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing an inexpensive, used PC so I can switch back to the Windows version.

If you want to keep me as a Quicken for Mac user, you'll have to bring the Mac version up to the same standard as the Windows version.
  • The latest Quicken for Mac 2018 update says that it now supports printing Canadian cheques. I tried it and it does NOT support printing Canadian cheques. The order should be the written amount of the cheque and then the payee with address. Still didn't get it right guys. Sorry!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @David Parisi This forum is not Quicken Support, so I'm sorry to say that posting the problem here is unlikely to help get the issue looked at by the developers. I have two suggestions for how you might better get this to the attention of the right people on the Quicken Mac development team:

1) In Quicken, on the Help menu, select "Report a Problem". Write a description of the problem there. You will not get a reply, but the more Canadian customers who report this as a problem, the more likely it is to get attention. You should definitely do this.

2) When each software update is released, it is announced on this forum in a post by Quicken Marcus, who is the product manager for Quicken Mac. He usually checks back on that specific thread about the latest release in the week or so after it goes live, to monitor for any user problems/complaints. So my suggestion is to wait until the next version (presumably 5.11) comes out (likely late this month or next month), and then post in that thread about the inability to print Canadian checks. I know this is rather hit-or-miss and sounds unorthodox, but if you can catch his attention, you'll likely either get an answer or action. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11
    This forum is not Quicken Support, so I'm sorry to say that posting the problem here is unlikely to help get the issue looked at by the developers. 

Not entirely accurate... Since the joining of @Quicken Tyka, @Quicken Harold, @Quicken Sarah and @Quicken Alex over the past year, they are more than just moderators; they are from the support team. True the developers will not directly see this but support is available here, though somewhat limited. 

That said, the other avenues do include using the "Report a Problem" feature. I suggest also adding a link to this thread for extra visibility to the developers of discussions around this.

You can also contact support directly via phone or chat to report problems.

All valid avenues, with varying levels of success. 

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    Not entirely accurate...
    Sorry to quibble, but I don't want my post being labeled that way when, actually, it is accurate. I wrote "this forum is not Quicken Support" -- and that's correct. Look at the top of the page; Support is on one tab, this Community is on the other. They're different. While the handful of Quicken moderators here do try to help users here, as do the many fellow users, the moderators are not the same as the teams of hundreds of Quicken Support representatives. That's why a moderator like Harold will often write "I would reach out to Quicken Phone Support so that one of our representatives can assist you with this issue" and "To send this information to Quicken, click on the Help menu and choose 'Report a Problem.' "

I also wrote "posting the problem here is unlikely to help get the issue looked at by the developers" and that's accurate, too. Occasionally, one of the development team members will read and respond to a post on this forum, but development team members account for less than 0.1% of the posts here. 

David Parisi wrote a post that addressed the Quicken team directly: "Still didn't get it right guys." I wanted him to know that message is not likely not to reach the people he wants to see that message. And I then mentioned two ways for him and other users frustrated with this issue to have a better chance of making members of the development team aware of the issue.

That's all accurate.

Finally, your suggestion that users can also contact Support to report the problem is correct in abstract but not helpful here, because David explained above that he has already contacted Support and was told that the program is operating as expected. I suggested two alternative ways to get this issue visible to the developers.

Can we just let it go at that?
    edited February 11
    actually, it isaccurate. I wrote "this forum is not Quicken Support"

First, I did not mean anything by it, so maybe don't take it so seriously. But as for accuracy, I have to point out that I wrote, and you quoted is "...not entirely accurate". And that statement is 100% accurate. So I cannot let that go, especially if it misleads anyone else reading this.

Note that I did NOT say that all that you state is not accurate, so some of what you said is correct.

But the way your quote is written, it is vague at best and misleading because "...not Quicken Support" can be interpreted as either "Support from Quicken" or "Support for Quicken", and clearly it is definitely the latter. And as for the former, it is also that too, since there IS support from Quicken staff, even though not all issues can be solved by the support from Quicken available in this forum. To imply otherwise IS inaccurate. And that is what I was pointing out.

And BTW, one way to get here is actually from the home page of Quicken.com, which lists Community under the SUPPORT menu on that page.

That is often why users coming here get the impression that this IS support from Quicken. And prior to the 4 new "moderators" joining, it was primarily a user to user support forum. Not sure if you missed it but Kathryn did announce that this was changing as a result of, and the reason for, the staffing change a little over a year ago.

And you can tell by the very nature of the types of answers given by the new team that they are far more than just moderators.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

OMG, my reply was not about the general nature of support, but the specifics of this particular issue and responding to what one user wrote. And despite my request to just let it end, I should have known that, as always, you have to have the last word. 
    Why do you have to make it personal? I am just dealing with the facts as stated.

• I sent a voided copy of a Canadian cheque using the "report a problem" in the help section. Let's see if that helps. All that needs to be done is modify two fields.

Thanks!
    dp