Quicken (2018) asks for Intuit account whenever I change computers

JeanJean Member
My wife and I use different computers to do our home expenses (using same file and account). Each time we open Quicken 2018 on the other computer, it requires entering Intuit account and password. Doesn't happen when on same computer. One is Win7 other is Win10.

Aside from knowing whether I can avoid being asked to login when I change computers, I'm wondering what happens if/when the sign-in server is down, or if... gulp... Intuit goes out of business or decides to stop supporting the software I'm running. Am/Will I be S.O.L or is there a way to use the software without logging into the quicken server?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Quicken should be asking your for your Quicken ID and not the old, obsolete Intuit ID.

Other than that ... because the file is shared between computers AND the file is registered to Computer A, accessing it from Computer B requires logon ID verification with the Quicken server (and vice versa). Quicken wants to make sure it's really you who is accessing your data file.

Theoretically, if your computer is totally disconnected from the Ethernet network cable and WiFi also is totally disabled, you should not get the logon prompt at all while on the same computer.

Note: Sharing a Quicken data file using a network server is not supported and will eventually lead to file damage.

• JeanJean Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

So if intuit goes out of business the only way I can use the s/w is to use it on the last computer it was matched to?

I thought I read somewhere that if I didn't have a quicken account (or stopped paying the annual fee) I just lost online features - not a complete loss of access to my data and offline functionality. Is that not the case? Is there not a way to get past the login prompt other than disconnect the computer from the internet?

The reality is that my wife only uses Quicken to enter her spending by hand. I do all the online downloading and reconciliation stuff. She doesn't use/need the online features. 

We're not reading file from network. There's a batch file that copies it locally first (and creates a lock file to prevent other user from running same batch file) then copies it back after. Have been doing this since 2000. Minus a couple of recoverable hiccups over the year it works well.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

So if intuit goes out of business the only way I can use the s/w is to use it on the last computer it was matched to?

I thought I read somewhere that if I didn't have a quicken account (or stopped paying the annual fee) I just lost online features - not a complete loss of access to my data and offline functionality. Is that not the case? Is there not a way to get past the login prompt other than disconnect the computer from the internet?

The reality is that my wife only uses Quicken to enter her spending by hand. I do all the online downloading and reconciliation stuff. She doesn't use/need the online features. 

We're not reading file from network. There's a batch file that copies it locally first (and creates a lock file to prevent other user from running same batch file) then copies it back after. Have been doing this since 2000. Minus a couple of recoverable hiccups over the year it works well.

Hello Jean,

I apologize for any confusion or frustration this has or may further cause.

The newest release of Quicken for 2018 is a subscription model and requires internet access to register your data file with our system.  Once the data file has been registered, a token is stored internally that should negate the need to sign into the Quicken ID again for a set timeframe, unless Quicken is reinstalled or the data file is opened on a different computer.  These actions will trigger the request to sign into the Quicken ID to verify that you should have access to the data file and the information contained within the file.  

If or when the subscription term expires, the Online Services are deactivated and the data file is accessible in manual entry mode until the software is reinstalled, the data file is opened on a new computer or the stored token expires and needs to be renewed.  When this happens, you will be prompted to sign into the Quicken ID again because the program needs to know what features or services to turn on or off based on your subscription status.

Quicken is a strong company that is growing every day and we have no intention of going anywhere however, if the day does ever come, a contingency plan would be enacted to ensure all User's have continued access to their data.

I hope this information is beneficial and please let us know if you have any further questions/concerns on this.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • essorkessork Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

1/ the token does not work; each time an individual reloads Quicken, it requests the Quicken userid / pw login

2/ yes, the Quicken authentication server is a single point of failure, when it goes down, all users are S.O.L. - this occurred during a major Quicken server outage some months ago.  Expect it to happen again and again
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

Sarah, are you saying that a 2 computer household using 1 file and 1 Quicken ID the user will have to authenticate each and every time the file is passed from one computer to the other?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • JeanJean Member
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

@mshigggins, yes that's what happens.

Thanks, Sarah, for answering clearly and honestly.

The timebomb aspect related to being able to access my data without a subscription is NOT mentioned in the "Quicken Data Access Guarantee". In addition to the apparent expiration of the stored token invalidating that guarantee, it's only a matter of time before a computer needs to be replaced. The data access guarantee is clearly not worth the web page it's printed on.

While I too like to think that Intuit is strong company (especially since I now see it's actually holding its clients hostage to an annual subscription fee), I'm less idealistic about the idea that if it filed for bankrupcy, the trusty or owners would allow spending a single dime on changing things to turn off the timebomb.

While very impressed with your clear and timely response, I'm highly unimpressed with the bait and switch reality of the data access (non) guarantee. It was actually a big factor in my deciding to purchase Quicken 2018 a couple of months ago.

How does one put in a feature request? I'd like to request that the timebomb be removed to align with the data access guarantee.

Thanks again.
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

Intuit has not been the owner of Quicken for more than 2 years. Quicken is now owned by a venture capital company, HIG.

I agree, it is very worrisome that access to your data on your computer is at risk should there be any issue with the Quicken ID authentication.
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

While I too am somewhat concerned about Quicken's call home "feature" and how access to my data could be impacted by business interruption/failure of Quicken, it isn't the only aspect of my life (and probably your lives) that carries such a risk. For example, thousands (and thousands more) of my emails containing valuable information that are only stored in Google's GMail system. If Gmail was to go out of service, for whatever reason and for however long, I would be entirely lost. And, I doubt that most people who use Hotmail, Gmail, etc. save each of their emails somewhere else for backup; I don't. Sure, Google would have the data replicated or backed up, but that is no insurance if they failed financially or there was some other catastrophic event that resulted in business interruption. These are risks and they are somewhat worrisome, but I try not to lose too much sleep over these issues.
  • JeanJean Member
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

Risk of failure is only part of it. Agree it's not something to lose sleep over (higher risk than google/hotmail - but I get your point).

The bigger part of it is desire to stop paying subscription fee. Thought I was only losing access to online features, not access to my data after the timebomb kicks in.
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

I don't understand your "timebomb" scenario. Unless Quicken fails AND they don't disable the call home feature at time of failure, you will be able to continue to access your data. You will have to login into the Q ID server from time to time to renew your token. The frequency of the Q ID logins will depend on whether you use only one computer or more than one computer, whether you reinstall the software, etc. But you can still renew the token and life goes on.

Each person to themselves, but I am more frustrated and concerned that my home phone, internet, and TV service monthly bill is almost $200 than I am about paying less than $10 per month to use Quicken. Frankly, I get more utility out of my frugal Quicken expense than I get out of my monthly TV expense. Even at full Canadian subscription rates, which are higher than the US rates, Quicken costs about as much per week as one cup of coffee... and that isn't even the Starbucks variety.
  • JeanJean Member
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

First of all, I did pay a fixed, agreed upon price to be able to use the product in perpetuity, I thought, as is common (though becoming less so) and more importantly, as advertised.

First problem.

Now I'm okay to pay the subscription fee today as it provides the online features, which are of higher value to me than the cost, and because that's what the published story is.

The point is that the s/w has to phone home periodically and, in addition to the fact that we have to do it regularly between my wife and I because we use two different computers (a hassle and the reason of this post), I now find out that if:

1) I stop paying the annual subscription fee
    2) they (Quicken/HIG) go bankrupt (not under my control), 
    3) they (Quicken/HIG) change the fee to something I don't want to pay for the online services
    4) they (Quicken/HIG) stop providing the service for whatever reason (not under my control):
    • My wife will have to use my computer to do our finances
    • We will eventually lose access to our data
    • I lost the amount I paid to buy the right to use the product and have to get another one and start over
    Not what I signed up for. Not sure how else to explain this.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For what is worth, my wife and I share a data file/Quicken Id on two different computers, and Quicken 2018 doesn't behave the way Jean and Essork describe, for us.

My wife has probably never ever even entered the Quicken Id password.

The operation we use is (with a script) copy data file to local disk for shared disk, open data file, copy back once Quicken closes.

I open/update Quicken usually once a day, she opens it maybe once a week.

I also haven't entered the Quicken Id in months.

I test for beta and if I leave that machine idle for say a month, it will prompt me.  And yes if I'm unlucky that the Quicken server is down at that moment I can't get into that data file (that is a bug one the Windows version Quicken Inc says they are going to fix.)
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

First of all, I did pay a fixed, agreed upon price to be able to use the
    product in perpetuity, I thought, as is common (though becoming less
    so) and more importantly, as advertised.
    Where?

From what I have seen everywhere Quicken 2018 is sold it is clearly marked as a subscription.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, I meant Quicken ID.

P.S. for the Deluxe version and above you can use it in "manual mode" even if the subscription expires, or Quicken Inc goes away.  Well, you should be able to.  The way it has been described is that it will try the log in and if it fails it should let you go into your data file.  But there is a bug in Quicken Windows that is prevented you going on.  They have said they will fix that.
  • JeanJean Member
    edited December 2018
    RE: From what I have seen everywhere Quicken 2018 is sold it is clearly marked as a subscription.

> I stand corrected. Looked again and it is sold on a yearly subscription. Thought I had paid a combined fee (product + 1 yr maintenance)

RE: The way it has been described is that it will try the log in and if it fails it should let you go into your data file.  But there is a bug in Quicken Windows that is prevented you going on.  They have said they will fix that.

> If that's the case, that's fine.

RE: 2 computers, no password prompt

> I would like it to work the work it works for you. Are you using US version? (I'm on Canadian version). The way Sarah was explaining it, the hassle I'm running into is normal / by design.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

RE: From what I have seen everywhere Quicken 2018 is sold it is clearly marked as a subscription.

> I stand corrected. Looked again and it is sold on a yearly subscription. Thought I had paid a combined fee (product + 1 yr maintenance)

RE: The way it has been described is that it will try the log in and if it fails it should let you go into your data file.  But there is a bug in Quicken Windows that is prevented you going on.  They have said they will fix that.

> I would like it to work the work it works for you. Are you using US version? (I'm on Canadian version). The way Sarah was explaining it, the hassle I'm running into is normal / by design.

I'm using the US version, but it certainly shouldn't be different on the Canadian version.  The Canadian version is lagging one month behind (hasn't got the April update), but from what I understand they are all suppose to work the same starting with Quicken 2018.  Quicken 2017 Canadian was the first on a subscription, but Quicken Inc said it was not exactly the same as what was create when the US 2018 version was released, but the first release of Quicken 2018 Canadian should have changed that.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Question for Quicken Sarah is the information you have stated about having to log in again when a data file is moved to another computer "only for the Canadian version"?

As in you have definite information that the US and the Canadian version work differently?

When I read your statement:
    Once the data file has been registered, a token is stored internally
    that should negate the need to sign into the Quicken ID again for a set
    timeframe, unless Quicken is reinstalled or the data file is opened on a
    different computer.  These actions will trigger the request to sign
    into the Quicken ID to verify that you should have access to the data
    file and the information contained within the file. 
    I can interpret it quite different, and in a way that lines up with what I see on the US version.

As the "first time" I open a given data file on a given machine, I will need to login (true from what I have seen).  But after that if I'm just copying the data file back and forth logging in isn't needed.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Arctic Hare
    Do you have another machine to test this on?

I did beta testing on the Canadian version and never noticed this difference, but they haven't done any beta testing for the Canadian version since the 2018 release and it could changed or I might just not noticed it because I didn't try it.
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

I do have a second (sandbox) PC. To test what? Moving a data file back and forth?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jean said:

Yes.  Does it make you log in each time?
    I have a feeling it won't and there is some kind of bug that shows up on just some people's machines.  I don't really think it is US vs Canadian version.
    edited December 2018
    Hello All,

I apologize for any further confusion or frustration my prior comments may have caused.  There was a typo in my original statement in that, you should only be asked to sign into the Quicken ID when a data file is opened for the first time on a second/different computer, if it is after a new install or reinstall of the Quicken software or the token expires.

Opening an already registered copy or restored back-up copy of the data file on a secondary computer should not prompt for a login to the Quicken ID. 
           If you do receive a prompt to sign-in, it can be an indicator that the registration of the file was blocked from completing the registration correctly.  This can be caused by many things such as, Antivirus/Firewall settings, missing or incorrect Windows permissions settings for the file location that Quicken is attempting to write the registration data too, missing/incorrect Administrator rights or a block from the ISP.

As mentioned, yes, there is a currently known issue preventing some Users from access to their data files if the Quicken Servers are down - this is a high priority bug that is actively being worked by Development to resolve as soon as possible.  

In regard to Quicken for US vs. Quicken for Canada versions - there should be no difference in the behavior, both product versions should prompt for a Quicken ID sign-in with a new or reinstallation of Quicken or when opening the data file for the first time on a new computer.

In Quicken versions 2016 to 2017, when support is discontinued per the Discontinuation policy (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy) an already registered data file and installed version of Quicken will open the file with no prompt for a sign-in.  If reinstalling or opening the file for the first time on a new/second computer - the data file will ask for a sign-in to the Quicken ID and registration of the data file.

In Quicken 2018 versions - if Quicken needs to be reinstalled for any reason - when the data file opens, you will receive a prompt to sign into the Quicken ID - this is done to confirm your subscription status. 
       If the subscription is Active at the end of registering the data file, the Online Services functions and features are activated.
       If the subscription is expired or canceled, at the end of registering the data file, Online Services remain deactivated and the data file is opened in manual entry mode only for product versions Deluxe through Home, Business & Rental Property.  Starter Edition allows access to the data file in read-only mode, per the Data Access Guarantee and the Terms of Service agreements.

No further prompts to sign-in to the Quicken ID should be experienced, unless 1 or more of the 3 conditions are met - new or reinstall of Quicken, if it is the first time opening the data file on a new computer or the token has expired and needs to be renewed.

I hope this information helps to clarify the expected behavior among the various versions of Quicken, as well as provide reassurance that your data is and will continue to be accessible to you.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

I apologize for any further confusion or frustration my prior comments may have caused.  There was a typo in my original statement in that, you should only be asked to sign into the Quicken ID when a data file is opened for the first time on a second/different computer, if it is after a new install or reinstall of the Quicken software or the token expires.

Opening an already registered copy or restored back-up copy of the data file on a secondary computer should not prompt for a login to the Quicken ID. 
           If you do receive a prompt to sign-in, it can be an indicator that the registration of the file was blocked from completing the registration correctly.  This can be caused by many things such as, Antivirus/Firewall settings, missing or incorrect Windows permissions settings for the file location that Quicken is attempting to write the registration data too, missing/incorrect Administrator rights or a block from the ISP.

As mentioned, yes, there is a currently known issue preventing some Users from access to their data files if the Quicken Servers are down - this is a high priority bug that is actively being worked by Development to resolve as soon as possible.  

In regard to Quicken for US vs. Quicken for Canada versions - there should be no difference in the behavior, both product versions should prompt for a Quicken ID sign-in with a new or reinstallation of Quicken or when opening the data file for the first time on a new computer.

In Quicken versions 2016 to 2017, when support is discontinued per the Discontinuation policy (https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy) an already registered data file and installed version of Quicken will open the file with no prompt for a sign-in.  If reinstalling or opening the file for the first time on a new/second computer - the data file will ask for a sign-in to the Quicken ID and registration of the data file.

In Quicken 2018 versions - if Quicken needs to be reinstalled for any reason - when the data file opens, you will receive a prompt to sign into the Quicken ID - this is done to confirm your subscription status. 
       If the subscription is Active at the end of registering the data file, the Online Services functions and features are activated.
       If the subscription is expired or canceled, at the end of registering the data file, Online Services remain deactivated and the data file is opened in manual entry mode only for product versions Deluxe through Home, Business & Rental Property.  Starter Edition allows access to the data file in read-only mode, per the Data Access Guarantee and the Terms of Service agreements.

No further prompts to sign-in to the Quicken ID should be experienced, unless 1 or more of the 3 conditions are met - new or reinstall of Quicken, if it is the first time opening the data file on a new computer or the token has expired and needs to be renewed.

I hope this information helps to clarify the expected behavior among the various versions of Quicken, as well as provide reassurance that your data is and will continue to be accessible to you.

Thank you,

Sarah

@Sarah, is the renewal period normally 90 days from date of issue of the token?
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Arctic Hare,

Yes, it's generally around 90 days before the token would need to be renewed. 

If using Online Services, the token should be renewed automatically by running the One Step Update, so you may not see a regular prompt to sign-in every 90 days; however, if One Step Update isn't ran regularly or you do not use Online Services, have an expired subscription or discontinued product version it may cause a prompt to sign-in when the token expires.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Sarah
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

@Sarah: I run OSU update every day. I use Quicken on only one computer. My subscription expiry date is months into the future. Quicken continues to require me to login into my QID from time to time. So, something is triggering that requirement outside of the design intent (based on your explanation above). It doesn't happen frequently, but it is happening.
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

Same here. I run OSU regularly on one computer. It's QW2017, so it's not expired. I get prompted for the QID every 4 weeks.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-id-log-in-frequency
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

@Arctic Hare & @mshiggins,

In addition to the blocked access during a server outage bug, Development is researching why successfully registered Users are receiving prompts to sign-in more frequently than the expected 90 days as part of the same investigation.  

The ticket with Development is still open but preliminary findings are pointing towards the token as being a root cause for both of these issues but that may change as the investigation progresses.

I'm sorry that I don't have any more information currently but I will update you both as more information becomes available.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • JeanJean Member
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

Thanks for the clarification, Sarah. It makes sense.

I'm not sure what happened but the sign-in-again-issue did not occur when I tried it today from the other computer. (My wife had not gone in since well before I reported this - she jumps on any excuse not to do it. ha ha). I'll keep an eye out and look for blockages :-) if it happens again.

Just a quick clarification, if I may, about online services. If one downloads data manually from their financial institution, i.e. not using One Step Update, is it considered using the online services or manual entry?

Thanks again
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

If one downloads data manually from their financial institution, i.e. not using One Step Update, is it considered using the online services or manual entry?

It is considered as using Online Services.  There is communication with a Quicken server to verify the financial institution that occurs when Quicken imports a QFX file.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Jerry MathersJerry Mathers Member
    edited May 2018

Hello All,

Thank you,

Sarah

However, downloading a .qif file (instead of a .qfx file) and importing it into Quicken is NOT considered to be an Online Service.  

Quicken 2018 allows imports of .qif files.

That IS an alternative.  Also, there are outside converters that will convert a .qfx file to an import ready .qif file.  
This discussion has been closed.