2018 Slowness

I updated from Quicken 2015 to 2018 today and this new version is _really_ slow.

The 2015 version was no speed demon, but this new one is painfully slow. After selecting one of my investment accounts, it takes about 10 seconds before the app is usable. I currently have 15 active accounts (and many more older ones that are hidden.)

I just checked the size of my Accounts.quicken file and it's 160.5 MB (the one for 2015 was 135.2 MB). Since I didn't add any information after the update, that extra 25 MB might be the culprit. (It took a lot of time to check the data after I opened the file - on the order of 5-10 minutes.)

I've been using Quicken since 1996 and don't really want to get rid of my historical data. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

-ch

Comments

• Jerry MathersJerry Mathers Member
    edited May 2018
    Quicken Windows or Quicken Mac?  US or Canada?
  • chockenberrychockenberry Member
    edited May 2018
    Quicken Mac in US.
  • Jerry MathersJerry Mathers Member
    edited June 2018

Quicken Mac in US.

Click on the "Investments" in the Account sidebar.

Reduce the graph by "grabbing" the dot and moving it to close the graph.

See if that helps.  
  • chockenberrychockenberry Member
    edited May 2018

Quicken Mac in US.

That helps once the account has been loaded, but there's still a substantial delay when picking the account for the first time after the app has been launched.
  • jgharris7jgharris7 Member
    edited November 2018

I was ready to dump Quicken due to similar problems with slowness, and found it is due to having Windows automatically detect settings for your Lan.  Go to the "Internet Options" in your control panel and  select the "Connections tab", then select the "Lan Settings" button. Make sure that the "Automatically detect settings" box is unchecked. This was also causing erratic performance with other applications.

Before I fixed this Quicken varied from behaving properly to taking many minutes just to start up. Anything requiring it to access the network could cause it to become unusably slow. Quicken tech support did not have a solution. Now it works fine for me.

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Also try this: click the Window menu and look at the bottom (below Sync Errors) for any background windows that may be open. If there are any, close them and see if performance improves.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • edited August 2018
    I went on Google and searched "break up with Quicken", I am getting so exasperated.  I have used their products for decades and hate this new iteration.  You click or type ANY change at all and the register or view flashes over and over and over as it updates all of the records and re-does the calculations.  I really dread finding another product and having to move all of our records over, but I cannot understand why I paid for a financial software product that cannot do calculations and show their changes at least as fast as I can type.  Grrrr. 
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hey everyone,

This thread has both Windows and Mac posts and is being closed.

If you are still needing help, please create a new post and include what year and version/release and a description of what you are seeing specifically. 

Thank you.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
This discussion has been closed.