Health Equity and 2 Step Verification Problem

The problem I am having is associated to a 2 step verification process that appears Quicken only partially supports. I can set up Quicken Connect to Health Equity HSA and during this initial set up process Health Equity sends a numeric password to my email address. Quicken prompts me for this code and once I enter it i can link up the account. Any future Quicken Connect sessions with Health Equity does not process correctly. Health Equity will send me a numeric PIN every time Quicken requests to sync to the account  but this time Quicken does not prompt me so I cannot enter the 2 step verification code and the account never updates.

Version 5.5.7 (Build 55.21646.100)
macOS 10.13.4

Comments

• BlakeBlake Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Same Problem Here!  It's actually quite annoying to get an email EVERY time I sync quicken.  Please fix this.
  • BlakeBlake Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This problem "seems" to have gone away after I upgraded to 5.6.2 and reconnected HealthEquity in Quicken.  Time will tell...
    Anyone else seeing the same thing?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Blake said:

This problem "seems" to have gone away after I upgraded to 5.6.2 and reconnected HealthEquity in Quicken.  Time will tell...
    Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I still have to receive the email, and input the pin from HealthEquity, in QWin 2018 R8.10.    
    What's REALLY annoying, is that per the contract between HealthEquity and Q, HE was supposed to notify Q of this change "in a timely manner", so that Q could make the necessary changes on their end.    
    HE, clearly,  didn't do so ... so now we're paying the price.  My wife has been lobbying her HR Dept HARD to get out of HE and into something with sane policies,  and better Q connectivity.   

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • BlakeBlake Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    .... and the codes are back.  Ugh
  • edited July 2018
    Same problem, only it appears Quicken is repeatedly trying to sync with HE after I close Quicken.  I do not have auto updates or scheduled updates turned on, so it's as if Quicken takes control and repeatedly tries to connect with Health Equity. 

Yesterday, I updated my Win10 desktop program to Release R9.30.  I reset the Health Equity account and completed a successful update!  I cheered, but it made no difference once I closed out of Quicken.  I still receive numerous verification code emails every day. 

Yesterday I contacted Health Equity (again) and they (again) told me the problem was with Quicken.  Today, I finally deactivated the HE account in Quicken.  What a pain.image
  • Scott McCauleyScott McCauley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm in the same boat. Frustrating! Like, Anne, I can see that Quicken appears to be attempting everyday. I keep getting code emails. I've been unable to sync with HealthEquity for several weeks.
    edited October 2018
    HE connects with Q via "Express Web Connect".  So, each night, Q's servers attempt to log into HE's servers as if they were you.  They then collect the data and hold it awaiting your request to download the data.
    As we know, however, Q's attempt to collect the data fails due to "Multi-Factor Authentication" (MFA).
    For the time being, the only way to stop these emails is to stop Q's attempt to connect ... by disconnecting  your HE account from download.
    Q employees are aware of this issue and are looking into it.
  • Don BartensteinDon Bartenstein Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

HE connects with Q via "Express Web Connect".  So, each night, Q's servers attempt to log into HE's servers as if they were you.  They then collect the data and hold it awaiting your request to download the data.
    As we know, however, Q's attempt to collect the data fails due to "Multi-Factor Authentication" (MFA).
    For the time being, the only way to stop these emails is to stop Q's attempt to connect ... by disconnecting  your HE account from download.

Any word on the Q employees looking into it?
    edited July 2018

Nope, and there won't be until the issue is fixed by HEALTH EQUITY.  Q employees can only bug them, since the problem is entirely on  HE's side.
    Wouldn't hurt for us to bug HE also.
    edited July 2018

Doesn't sound like they are real interested: 

With our focus on security, we have implemented additional measures when logging in to the member portal, such as multi-factor authentication. With those changes, we are not currently able to support exporting your HSA transaction history directly to Quicken.

However, you can download your transaction details as a Microsoft Excel (.xls) file. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. In the 'My Account' tab of the HealthEquity member portal, select 'HSA,' then 'Transaction History.'
    2. On the right side of the screen, select 'Download.'
    edited July 2018

UTTER BS.  Many banks/cards/etc utilize MFA ... and they all  work fine.
    It sounds to me like HE has decided that they don't want to pay Q's licensing fee any more ... and they're using "security" to CYA.
    BUT, bugging HE to bring back downloads can't hurt.
    edited July 2018

we have implemented additional measures when logging in to the member portal, such as multi-factor authentication.
    The MFA doesn't come into play if you log directly into HE's website.  All that you need for that is your ID and PWD.  So, more nonsense from HE.
    edited July 2018

Crossing my fingers on this, but I think they may have fixed it.  Ran OSD today and got prompted for a verification code from HE, instead of the usual failure notice.  Entered the code and it processed OK.  Exited Quicken and closed my browsers and then went back into Quicken to run OSD; got no prompts and HE processed with no errors.  Gonna give it a 
    day or two to see if it sticks.
  • Bill AllanBill Allan Member
    edited July 2018

Same problem, only it appears Quicken is repeatedly trying to sync with HE after I close Quicken.  I do not have auto updates or scheduled updates turned on, so it's as if Quicken takes control and repeatedly tries to connect with Health Equity. 

Yesterday, I updated my Win10 desktop program to Release R9.30.  I reset the Health Equity account and completed a successful update!  I cheered, but it made no difference once I closed out of Quicken.  I still receive numerous verification code emails every day. 

Yesterday I contacted Health Equity (again) and they (again) told me the problem was with Quicken.  Today, I finally deactivated the HE account in Quicken.  What a pain.image

Same here.  This is quite annoying.  Why can't Quicken offer a means of disabling the auto sync process for HealthEquity
    edited July 2018

I just ran your process and got the same results.  The REAL test, however,  will be when "Scheduled Updates",  which includes a download from HE, runs at 7am tomorrow morning.
    It COULD be, that the code that we input is valid for more than one use or for more than a few minutes.  We'll see.
  • GreyCrownGreyCrown Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Nice... Thanks for the heads up. I have had this account set to manual for some time while waiting and hoping for a fix.
  • Scott McCauleyScott McCauley Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It's working for me now, but is asking for a code every time.
    edited July 2018

For me, I seem to be asked for the code once a day.  Not 100% fixed yet, but a damn sight better than what it was doing before... ;)
    edited July 2018

I activated my Health Equity account last night. Today I don’t see any changes that would indicate this is working correct for me. I still get the email with the two step authentication code. The Quicken Servers are querying the Health Equity Account during the morning and the Health Equity Account does not recognize the server that is why it is sending the code to authenticate. If the Authentication code is not plugged into a query like it is when the account is first set up Health Equity will not send updated account information to the Quicken Server. Since the account does not get updated the only way to stop the emails would be to go into Troubleshooting/Deactivate Account. This will tell the Quicken Server to stop querying the Health Equity Account. The way I understand how this banking works, every time you request an account update you are not going directly to your bank. The Quicken Application on the client side makes a request to a Quicken Server which stores the bank information that it had Queried at some time throughout the day or night. So this is why the email in the morning as the Quicken server is making this request some time throughout the day. Hence no way to plug the two step verification numb since the Quicken server is making these requests.
    edited July 2018

And......  We're back to square one.  OSD erroring out saying there's a popup that needs to be satisfied......
  • Eric HawleyEric Hawley Member
    edited August 2018
    I added my HealthEquity account last night (Aug 15 ~10pm Mountain time) in Quicken Mac and also at the PersonalCapital aggregator website. The MFA code process went normally, and both have updated this morning without error (and without any additional code request or email hitting.)  Crossing my fingers this is working?  
    edited August 2018

I reset my HE account in Quicken about 2 weeks ago.  It seems to be behaving OK since....
    edited August 2018

I hadn't even thought about this for a few weeks ... because it has been behaving properly for all that time.

Seems that HE finally got their act together.
    edited October 2018
    I also have not had any problems in weeks
    edited January 16
    And it's baaack.....  I reset the HE account, enter the code and it works for a day.  Next day one-step-update kicks it out with a CC502
    edited January 10

And it's baaack.....  I reset the HE account, enter the code and it works for a day.  Next day one-step-update kicks it out with a CC502

Yep, seems so.  And I can't deal with it until tonight until my wife gets home ... because it's her account and the MFA notices go to her phone.
    edited January 15

I tried deactivate/reactivate.  When attempting to reactivate I get prompted for "the code", but then the reactivation fails with CC-502.  It's been doing this over a few days now.
    edited January 16

Activation worked today.....  
  • Ronald LozadaRonald Lozada Member
    edited January 16

Thanks for keeping us updated!
    edited January 16

My "Scheduled Update" of the HE account, at 7am, failed with a CC-502 ... but when I tried it again at 12:38pm it worked just fine.

SO, let's keep our fingers (and eyes?) crossed to see how long until HE screws it up again.
This discussion has been closed.