Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

14567810»

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.

Actually, an undocumented feature is that since QM2017 v4.2.1, released Oct 2016, the backup files generated by Quicken are actually zipped files...so all you need is to save the backup files in the folder synced to Dropbox. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

Thanks jacobs & smayer97 for the replies
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Great idea. Especially if using Quicken on more than one computer. If I was at location #2 and needed a backup, but wasn't going to be at location #1 for a week I'd be stuck. This looks like a great solution for running Quicken on multiple machines at multiple locations.
  • Paul3
    Paul3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Still Sloooooow to Launch.  I had high hopes QM 5.6 would fix the very slow initial launch issue.  But, alas, for me it is still as slow as ever.  In fact I believe QM 5.6 is actually slower than 5.5.7 to launch - can it be possible.  I used to launch Quicken, go and brew a cup of tea in the microwave for 2 minutes 20 seconds and when I returned my file was just opening.  Now I do the same thing but when I return I still have to wait for the file to open.  I also notice that I don't get an indication that Quicken is launching.  By that I mean no bouncing dock icon, no spinning beachball, nothing - just wait and hope.  I am thinking about rolling back to 5.5.7 (because its slowness was faster) but don't know if I can since the data file was updated.  Or, I guess I will have to wait for QM 5.7 and hope the team has figured this problem out.  As a reminded this slowness is only for the initial launch after I start may computer for the day or after a restart.  Any relaunch after the initial is very fast (5-10 seconds).  What gives?

I pretty much always leave my checking register as the displayed page, no graphs or charts.

Looking to upgrade to 5.6.1 now that it's stabilized, I'll see if there is any change in launch time or the sqlite3 process behavior.
This discussion has been closed.