Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can I adjust the Market Value of a TIP?

RCinNJ
RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Investing (Mac)
OK, so I accept that QM2018 doesn't properly pick up the correct Market Value for a TIP (Treasury Inflation Protection Security) -- at least in my TDA account. Fixing this has been requested: https://tinyurl.com/yc8jqukg.

I suspect if this is ever fixed for QM it will be far in the future. Anyone have advice on how to make a manual adjustment to the Market Value of a TIP so at least the value of the account holding the TIP is closer to correct? I tried using "Add Shares" but this is wrong. 

Also, if you would like this fixed, follow the link and vote!

Thanks!

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    Hey RCinNJ,

The only thing I can come up with is to create a security and add a price history for the adjustment amount and then just update the price history when you need adjust the market value.

This might need to be played with to get the Market Value closer to being correct.

Let me know how it goes!  If you include how much the account is off by I can try to recreate on my end as well!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hey RCinNJ,

The only thing I can come up with is to create a security and add a price history for the adjustment amount and then just update the price history when you need adjust the market value.

This might need to be played with to get the Market Value closer to being correct.

Let me know how it goes!  If you include how much the account is off by I can try to recreate on my end as well!

-Quicken Tyka

Hi Tyka,

Thanks for the idea. However, I don't see a way to assign this New Security to an account. Is there a way to do that?

Here's what I did in the 2 tabs. After doing this the adjustment does not appear in any of my Brokerage accounts. (the $1 is just a test it is off by several thousand)imagebefore 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    edited July 2018
    Hey RCinNJ,

I created an add shares transaction in the brokerage and assigned the adjustment ticker symbol.

I also priced this at $1 and added 5 shares this increased the market value $5.00.

If the market value needs to be lower, I would create a remove shares transaction.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hey RCinNJ,

I created an add shares transaction in the brokerage and assigned the adjustment ticker symbol.

I also priced this at $1 and added 5 shares this increased the market value $5.00.

If the market value needs to be lower, I would create a remove shares transaction.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Hey Tyra,

Thanks again. What you wrote did work to add the shares so they appear in the investment account. However, at least for the ways I tried, this adds to the Cost Basis in addition to the Market Value so that this is distorted and the Gain/Loss (which is wrong) changes slightly, but is still way off. Not really a net improvement unfortunatley. Is there a way to add to the Market Value without adding to the Cost Basis? I hope I'm wrong, but I think that might not be possible currently in QM?

Here are the last settings I tried. Besides "Add Shares" I tried various other possible choices, but all of the ones I tried had the same effect. I even tried using the actual security's name which added it directly to the security rather than to a transaction named "TIPs Adjustment" by calculating the true price per share and adding the correct number of shares. This still added to the Cost Basis and not just the Market Value (although the Gain/Loss was now correct).
  • Quicken_Tyka
    edited July 2018
    Hey  RCinNJ,

What if you leave out the total cost and just enter the number of shares?

The price is included in the price history and should calculate the market value.

Let me know if this still adds a cost basis.

Try that and let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hey Tyka,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a bunch more things and actually got it to be correct: For a brief moment the Cost Basis was not affected and I added to the mispriced Market Value so the Gain/Loss amount and percentage was correct. However, as soon as I did an account update it returned to the incorrect Market Value.
This discussion has been closed.