backup fails

The manual backup that I'm prompted with, and which I've used for years, has begun to fail.  The back up starts but the Quicken window becomes totally blank except for the menu bar.  The entire Quicken window is unresponsive.  Hovering over the Quicken window shows my cursor as the circular cycling indication which never stops.  I have to use Task Manager to end the task.  This started happening after the latest major update of Windows 10 (not sure if it has anything to do with it).  I use Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property 2018, version R8.8, Build 27.1.8.8

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • kevin2184kevin2184 Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Serlock, but when I click "ok" to create a copy, Quicken pops up a dialog box stating "Unable to create target file. Copy failed".  I then click "Ok" to close that dialog box, and I get the same blank Quicken window that only has the menu on top.  If I try and close the Quicken window, I'm prompted to do a backup, which of course, fails.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Are you using any cloud backup software or a NAS backup server?
    If yes, is that software configured to access the active Quicken data file?

Where is your active Quicken data file located? On your internal hard drive or on an external storage device or file server?

• kevin2184kevin2184 Member
    edited May 2018
    My active Quicken file is stored locally on my C drive in a "Quicken" folder in My Documents.  I do use a cloud-based backup service (SOS) but that only runs in the middle of the night.  It copies (i.e., backsup) all My Documents folder.  It also copies (backups) the "Quicken" folder that is in ProgramData. 

When I do a manual backup of my Quicken file (when Quicken prompts me on about the third time I've opened the file), I save it to an external 1TB flash drive (which has plenty of room).  I've been doing this for years.

Interestingly, I just tried to do a manual back up in Quicken using "File", "Backup and Restore", "Backup Quicken File", which brings me to the same "Quicken Backup" window that I get auto-prompted with from Quicken.  I clicked the "Change..." button to try and save the backup locally (to my desktop until I get this resolved), and I get an error that stating "File not found" and the error box shows the local path of where I'm trying to save it (my desktop).  That makes no sense to me. Of course, it is not located there.  That's where I'm trying to create it. 
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you aren't already using a short (8.3) file name for your data file (for example, QData.QDF), I suggest you rename the data file appropriately.

If the issue persists, I suggest restoring recent data file backup.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.