Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Manage Accounts and Transactions (Windows)

Quicken should allow mass deletion out of the pending downloaded transactions tab. (48 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited November 2019

Now that we have to pay each year for Q we should DEMAND that they fix this problem. Seems like it should be a simple fix. Since Q and Citibank are having download problems this has become more urgent. Support's fix is to deactivate and the reactivate the account causing 3 months of transactions being downloaded!!!

The register and the Downloaded Transactions tab are completely different.
    From what I can tell the register is using some very customized controls, and the Downloaded Transactions tab is using more of a standardized list.

But the real point is it is very different code and both are very complicated to support all the different modes that they have.  What might look trivial on the surface might in fact be a nightmare in the code.

As for the problems with Express Web Connect, that is almost "by design".

As in what it is an agreement between Intuit and the financial institution on how they should log in and get the transactions from the financial institution's website.

They aren't using any set protocol like Direct Connect uses.  The financial institution can change the website in ways that break the downloading at any time.  Even though they are suppose to notify Intuit of such changes, they don't always do it, and I think mostly they don't know what is going to break things until it does.  And I don't think Intuit is very quick to adjust to these changes.  It is a hard job when they are trying to support over 15,000 financial institutions that are all "doing their own thing".

So yes the financial institutions and the lack of standards are the main problem, but that wasn't what I referred to in my comment.  I was talking about the duplicate transactions.

The way Quicken knows if a given transaction is a duplicate is by the unique Id.
    Each transaction is given an unique Id and Quicken stores it.  If the transaction is downloaded again with that same unique Id, Quicken ignores it.

With Direct Connect the financial institutions are generating those unique Ids, and they tend to do a very good job of it.  That is why if you reset/deactivate/reactivate a Direct Connect account you don't see duplicates, because they keep the unique Ids consistent.

With Express Web Connect it depends on who is generating that unique Id.  Some financial institutions provide Intuit with a way to get a QFX file they have generated.  That has the unique Ids in it.  If they don't provide the data in that format Intuit has to generate the unique Ids, and they do a poor job of that.

The system they are using will give different unique Ids for the same transactions after a reset/deactivate/reactivate.  That is what causes the duplicate transactions in Quicken.  What's more they give the same unique Id for if a given transaction is repeated in the data they get.  For instance you pay a toll to and from work.  Those transactions will look identical, and Intuit will generate the same unique Id, and Quicken will ignore the second one.  In this case when the financial institution sends the same transaction twice in the data, there needs be something like a "counter" that keeps the second one unique.

Note that Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service, so they can't directly change this bad functionality.

Note here is the FAQ on how to remove duplicates in bulk:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicate-transactions

And I will add that if you are using automatic transaction entry mode you can just sort on the Status (first column with blue dot) and all of the New transactions will group together where you can select them and delete them.
  • I agree with wrightbg and Rick.  This is a chronic problem and Quicken needs to fix it.  My number one peeve with the program at this moment - and happens often....

Quicken - are you monitoring this and can you let us know if you have something planned?  The workaround above is often cumbersome, especially for an older account with lots of transactions.
  • bigkmkbigkmk Member
    I've used Quicken and Quickbooks extensively.  The download transaction feature in Quicken can be improved significantly to reduce the amount of time wasted simply getting transactions into Quicken.  I would like to make the following suggestions, most of which come from Quickbooks:
    1. Add a checkbox to each row in the downloaded transaction list so that you can multi-select to do things like accept them.
    2. Add ability to multi-select using Shift so that you can accept the selected items.
    3. Ability to filter by status with the following statuses: "New", "Renamed", "Matched", "Accepted"
    Sometimes I get behind and download my credit card transactions every 3 months.  There can be hundreds of transactions to go through.  It would be nice to be able to filter and view the "Renamed" ones so I can quickly make corrections on those, select them all and hit Accept all in one go.  Quickbooks lets you do this and it saves tons of time.
  • Jim RyanJim Ryan Member
    I agree wholeheartedly(!) because I have exactly the same usage scenario -- i.e., I need to process dozens (and perhaps >100) of downloaded transactions, some of which are tagged as a "Match", but most of which are tagged as "New".  It would help immensely if I could somehow "Accept all Matched transactions" and then I will proceed to still manually Accept the New ones.  I really like all 3 ideas above, but especially #1 and #2.
  • rockof613rockof613 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    At times, resolving connectivity issues with financial institutions requires resetting online access. This reset can cause old / already imported transactions to download. To prevent duplicate entries, these transactions must be deleted. Currently, this operation must be performed on each individual transaction and each operation requiring multiple keystrokes or mouse clicks. Allowing users to select multiple entries and delete (with confirmation of course) will save a great deal of time in these scenarios.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)K.O. (Win-Premier) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been requested numerous times by users and super users over the years but for some reason, Quicken doesn't seem to think it is important enough to put on this list of enhancements.

I will again express my +1,000 vote for this.
    > @K.O. (Win-Premier) said:
    > This has been requested numerous times by users and super users over the years but for some reason, Quicken doesn't seem to think it is important enough to put on this list of enhancements.
    >
    > I will again express my +1,000 vote for this.

Thanks KO. Figured it wasn't a new idea but couldn't find references in the community. Seems pretty straightforward and would save us a ton of time.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    " ... this operation must be performed on each individual transaction and each operation requiring multiple keystrokes or mouse clicks."

Assuming you read the link Sherlock posted, you should now know that your statement is not true. In fact the process is much simpler than your comment claims.

And you should also know that many years ago Intuit attempted to do what you're asking - they had lots of problems with it and finally abandoned the attempt. 

Given the relative ease of removing duplicate downloaded transactions, and Intuit/Quicken's previous experience, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for the change you've asked for.

If anything, I believe Quicken should devote their effort to preventing the duplicates when resetting an account is called for.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Jon FosterJon Foster Member ✭✭
    Has anyone found a workaround for this issue in investment accounts? The same sorting options are not available in Investment registers, so if I accept all ( literally thousands of duplicate transactions that Quicken did not match), I have no way that I know of for identifying these unwanted transactions for bulk delete process
  • Jon FosterJon Foster Member ✭✭
    > @Michael said:
    > I agree with wrightbg and Rick.  This is a chronic problem and Quicken needs to fix it.  My number one peeve with the program at this moment - and happens often....
    >
    > Quicken - are you monitoring this and can you let us know if you have something planned?  The workaround above is often cumbersome, especially for an older account with lots of transactions.

Quicken should take a year and stop adding "Features" and just fix bugs. The product has the features we all want, but it just is not stable. Ugh!!
  • I would certainly appreciate frequently-occurring problem being addressed by Quicken with better automation for institutions that do not offer Direct Connect -- I also acknowledge this may be easier said than done. Meanwhile, for whatever help it might be to anyone, here is how I am managing the inconvenience following necessary, periodic account resets. In simplest terms, I am accepting all transactions into the register. These appear with a Clr status of "c". Then I create a banking - transactions report. In the report settings account tab, I clear all accounts excepting the account I are fixing. In the advanced tab, under "Status" I make sure there is a check mark in the "newly cleared" box only. The ensuing report lists all my transactions for this account with a "Clr" status of "c". I can delete these all at once or in batches. I select the ones to delete using shift-click, ctrl-click, shift-downarrow, or shift-end -- all these work fine. I then choose "delete transactions" from the right-click menu. Gone. To ensure I do not delete any "c" transactions that are actually recent and not in duplicate, I review my sorted register before generating the report, noting identifying details of such transactions so I can omit them from selection before the bulk deletion. If I happen to delete one or two unduplicated transactions, I am prompted to enter an automatic adjustment for that amount next time I reconcile the account. I usually recognize what it pertains to later, based on the amount of the adjustment, and edit this for clarity in the register. This is the least time-intensive approach I have found, and I it helps someone else. Cheers.
    > @mshiggins said:
    > From C. D. Bales:
    > " ... this operation must be performed on each individual transaction and each operation requiring multiple keystrokes or mouse clicks."
    >
    > Assuming you read the link Sherlock posted, you should now know that your statement is not true. In fact the process is much simpler than your comment claims.
    >
    > And you should also know that many years ago Intuit attempted to do what you're asking - they had lots of problems with it and finally abandoned the attempt. 
    >
    > Given the relative ease of removing duplicate downloaded transactions, and Intuit/Quicken's previous experience, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for the change you've asked for.
    >
    > If anything, I believe Quicken should devote their effort to preventing the duplicates when resetting an account is called for.

That's not a fix, that's a hack and doesn't address the issue. You should be able to multi-select from the downloaded transactions panel. Period.
  • Rick MiltonRick Milton Member ✭✭
    edited February 22
    This is one (of a few) major frustrations with Quicken. I have downloads each much from by bank that are bank charges that they offset with a credit for the same amount because I'm a long term customer of the bank. The net effect is ZERO from these downloads, but I really don't want to add the 16 debits and credits each month to "dirty up" my register. So I sit there each month and manually (ONE BY ONE) delete 16 downloads!! PLEASE QUICKEN SUPPORT -- FIX THIS FOR US!!
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    After 1 1/2 years, the status for this idea has been updated on Oct 3 to Planned.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jmortjmort Member
    There needs to be a DELETE ALL option for downloaded transactions. When users have to reset there web connection, bank sites usually download the last 90 days of transactions for the user ( in most cases this is hundreds of transactions). In most cases these transaction have been downloaded cleared and reconciled and so the users need a DELETE ALL. You could put in a "type in YES" option so the user is certain this is the transaction they want.

Since my bank has update to Web Connect Option I have had to go through the reset option multiple times and I wind up having to delete several hundred transactions one-by-one.
  • Dennis ThorntonDennis Thornton Member ✭✭
    What release is this planned?
  • Scott LenowitzScott Lenowitz Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken for about 25 years. How can it be that we are still asking for a straight forward function to allow mass deletes? Previous comments note the problem when you have to reset downloading from certain financial companies - you end with hundreds of previously recorded transactions. Then you have to delete these through a crazy work around, IF that works. I am currently doing this and the work around (select first transaction then hold Shift key and select last transaction to highlight all that you want to delete) and it is not working. Holding Shift key and selecting last transaction just select that one transaction, it does not highlight from first to last.
    But that's besides the point - WE NEED A TRUE MASS DELETE FUNCTION. IT IS 2020!!! PLEASE!!!!
  • StudpupStudpup Windows Beta Beta
    Sherlock said:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I couldn't actually follow those, there doesn't seem to be a way to sort by order entered. Am I overlooking it? Thanks! Windows 10, Quicken 27.1.27.24
    Ally Invest doesn't have DC/EWC, only download, and the download sends the entire account history, regardless of how you choose your date filter on their website. I can't just accept all because all the transactions then delete unreconciled, because of the need to enter info for each transaction.

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    True, there is no "sort by order enetered", the dead give away is that you are in an investment account.
    Investment accounts do not allow the selection of multiple transactions, so even if you got them all in sequence, you couldn't select them for deletion.
    With investment accounts, you do the deletion from a Banking->Transaction report.  Customize it to show just the account you are dealing with and then do some sorting and deleting.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• StudpupStudpup Windows Beta Beta
    I haven't figured out a way to just accept all in an investment account when there's sale transactions. It actually takes less time to delete hundreds of transactions one by one than it takes to accept each sale transactions & match it up to specific lots, then sort and delete. Suggestions? 
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Suggestions?  Nope.
    That is why this "Idea" exists.
    Investment sales are a problem to deal with.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone goes to the first page of this Idea. you will see that this has been implemented in R27.20 through current R27.24 for the Banking and Credit Card Registers.

Click on the first transaction. Hold down the Left Shift Key and click on the last transaction to mark all.

Or click on the first transaction. Hold down the Left Ctrl Key and left click on the other transactions to mark. Now click on Delete.

Ctrl-A just brings up the Account List.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R30.14  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20262.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.630

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.