Home Alerts & Known Product Issues

Paycheck split values are gone

Pam FlaigPam Flaig Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Alerts & Known Product Issues
My last 3 paycheck split values no longer exist.   Hovering over tag will show the detail but the category split has no values.  Trying to save one, it removed the indication of the paycheck and entered the category as the same and the account.  I suspect there was some update in the last month that corrupted these transactions - 4/6, 4/20, 5/5.   Additionally duplicate 401K values were added on 3/9 paycheck.  These could be manually deleted in the 401K account as they were unattached to the split.   

I've seen both of these issues occur in prior Quicken versions too but never had a solution other than deleting and reentering the transactions.   It seems there are a few of these mysterious issues every year for the past 5.   I've used quicken since 2001.   

I have windows Quicken Deluxe 2018.   R8.8 27.1.8.8

Comments

• Pam FlaigPam Flaig Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Interesting point too, as i delete these corrupt transactions in my bank account, they have stranded the corresponding 401K deposits.   I had to delete those manually too.   
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Are you using mobile or syncing to the Quicken cloud?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited May 2018
    i do have mobile that uses the cloud file, i think it's one in the same?
    edited October 2018
    I had fixed several payroll entries in the past couple weeks, but today now many many more are corrupt.   

I need some answers and a fix before spending the time to reenter all that are corrupt now!

Any suggestions?
    edited June 2018
    Pam Flaig said:

I had fixed several payroll entries in the past couple weeks, but today now many many more are corrupt.   

I need some answers and a fix before spending the time to reenter all that are corrupt now!

Any suggestions?

I would try turning off the cloud syncing.
    edited June 2018
    Pam Flaig said:

Any suggestions?

So just not use the mobile app?  

I saw in another thread to reinstall Quicken.... No better.   
    edited June 2018
    Pam Flaig said:

Any suggestions?

At least temporarily until you can rule it out as the cause of the issue.
    edited December 2018
    Any way to restore the corrupt payroll transactions?   I've stopped using the  mobile app but it seems like payroll transactions for the past several years are corrupted now
  • wi_muggswi_muggs Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This evening I upgraded from Windows Quicken 2018 to 2019. 

Now some of the paycheck splits are missing when I try to edit them.  I do see the split information when I hover the mouse over the category column in the register, but when I click on the check mark to get to the edit paycheck window, all the categories are blank.  

Running validate, it is reporting that some of the transfers to other accounts like 401k's. it stated the transfers were from an account that was deleted.  No accounts have been deleted.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    More than 25 years ago, I manually created and entered split Payroll transactions then transited to easier Quick Payroll subscription and now very easy and satisfied with Intuit Online Payroll (IOP) subscription, from which QIF files are exported and imported into Quicken H&B automatically updated subscription software. Subscription does cost more but makes life easier with all the reports available and any time support is single phone call away.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

More than 25 years ago, I manually created and entered split Payroll transactions then transited to easier Quick Payroll subscription and now very easy and satisfied with Intuit Online Payroll (IOP) subscription, from which QIF files are exported and imported into Quicken H&B automatically updated subscription software. Subscription does cost more but makes life easier with all the reports available and any time support is single phone call away.

Muhammad,
    we're not discussing paychecks that you send to your employees.
    This discussion is about paychecks you receive as an employee of a company and problems with some of the previously recorded transactions.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 18.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 will be upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 14.23 * patch released
    10/8/2018

- 2019 ... Release R 14.27 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 12.8 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

- 2019 ... not yet available

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

3) If that doesn't
    resolve the issue, restore your Quicken data
    file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first
    occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that
    does not exhibit these symptoms.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

edited October 2018
    Pam Flaig said:

Any way to restore the corrupt payroll transactions?   I've stopped using the  mobile app but it seems like payroll transactions for the past several years are corrupted now

I now have entries back to 9/11/2015-5/4/2018 that are corrupt.   Hovering still has values but the split detail is completely blank.   Recent transactions are ok still.  I had reentered some in March, April, May when i first reported this chain.  They stayed ok for sometime.   I'm not going to reenter nearly 3yrs of transactions with detail.   

I wish there were some answers and confidence that this wont happen again.   

Like another post, I've had quicken since 2001 and have seen paycheck splits corrupt several times in the past few years.  
    edited October 2018
    Pam Flaig said:

Any suggestions?

i did for sometime but resumed mobile and cloud use with the newer app.  I couldn't find where there was an obvious link 
  • Jim32Jim32 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Any news here?  I just realized my 401k value now is significantly off with the 2019 upgrade.  I believe it is because I have this exact issue and its growing!!  When this post was originally created, I too only had a paycheck or 2 with this issue - now it's over 1.5 years of paychecks I am going to re-enter.

Someone said something about opening the paycheck 2x in order to fix it, but when I hit enter on the corrupt paycheck, it just removed ALL the splits all together and now just shows as a $0 to checking.
    \
    Please put a fix in quickly so that I don't have to "test" if fixing the corrupt paychecks will work.
  • halogirlhalogirl Member
    edited December 2018
    I am also having the problem of paychecks not having their splits when you click on the file (but showing up when you hover over the tag). I just spent the better part of two hours on the phone with Quicken Support. Their answer was basically that this is a known problem with "old" files after upgrading to 2019, and there is no fix other than to completely start over. They say that "old" files develop corruptions over time, but they offered no instruction on how to avoid these corruptions.

Fortunately, most of the information in the splits seems to be readable in the accounts. I didn't notice the problem until I started to look at my budget report for the year. I think that means I can hobble along with my day-to-day finance, but I can't trust the reports anymore or view/edit old paychecks.

I'm not sure what to do. I have about 20 years of data, though the last 12 years is what is most important to me. I'm hoping against hope that a future update will actually fix this problem, but in the meantime I may have to consider other options. I'm devastated.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I am also having this error. All my paycheck splits are empty when I open them to make adjustments. It's very frustrating as I can see them when I hover over the --Paycheck-- in the category column
    edited December 2018
    I've had this for a year now and 6mo ago it corrupted several years of transactions. This amoungst direct connect and mobile sync issues, I started a new file. Exporting all accounts and transactions. The payroll details are there! Just as a plain split, not payroll. The transfer items are still messed up, ie 401k. Other loan splits are messed up too. I'm going to delete those transactions and try again to copy in just those. I think the problem is that all the accounts were not created yet.

Question is, is there a trick to get imported transactions to be recognized as payroll type ? Similar question on loan accounts and splits that are simplified entries and accounts upon import
    edited December 2018
    I've given up on getting a quicken solution. So.... I'm rebuilding my files from transaction export from the old file. So far it seems the payroll transactions are coming in with the splits even on those that appeared corrupt. It's not the payroll like split but I'll take a plain split if things are right. It does seem the 401k is still a mess too as well as any loan transactions that had splits. I'm going to try deleting just those transactions, export and import just those. I think without all the accounts open in the new file, there were bogus entries. ..... Still hoping to get the file clean. Goodnew on all the direct connects and mobile issues I had before too... So far its all working with the new file
  • Lisa FLisa F Member
    edited December 2018
    Pam Flaig said:

i have this same problem!!!!
    as soon as i purchased the update it happened
  • rechisrechis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I had this same problem when I updated from Quicken 2017 to Quicken 2019 subscription.  On all my data files, I lost paycheck splits (you can see them if you hover, but if you click on the transaction , it is all zeros).  I continue to have the problem with certain files (after the transition).  I suspect it has to do with the syncing, because the data files that I have opted not to sync do not lose their paycheck splits, but the ones that are set up to sync lose the splits.  I have noticed that the splits are missing from the desktop version, not the website version. It has also happened with loan splits. 

And it happens again!!   Ugh.... no answers either.   

I just completely rebuilt my 20yrs of history Export QIF and import into new fresh from scratch file in late December. All the special splits like payroll and loans copied as simple splits, but that's fine because the corrupt payroll splits still imported with the detail.

I updated this morning with the January release 18.14.  

Tonight I find my 1/25 payroll transaction is corrupt!!  Along with the associated transfer to HSA and 401K.   

After all that rebuilding..... It did fix the problem temporally and all of my account connection issues and mobile resolved.   

What do we need to get this issue noticed and fixed?
  • I have this same issue.  I have used Quicken for 20 years and I am finally thinking about starting completely afresh on a new system.  This kind of problem happens at least once every two years...major problems that end up taking 2-4 hours of my time to try to fix.

Completely frustrating...horrible service.
    AND AGAIN.  

Just did the Feb update.  And today's paycheck transaction is corrupt.   I just updated and cleared with my bank download earlier today.   Backed up my file before updating.  

So there has got to be something with the update loads that corrupts some of the existing special split transactions.   
  • Edestiny7Edestiny7 Member ✭✭
    I too have experienced this Quicken software BUG for a third time today!  See my previous post about this: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7822322/quicken-premier-2016-showing-inflated-checking-account-balance-under-account-bar#reply_19877126
    I too had to resolve it by going back to a previous backed up version.  That was on Quicken 2016 Premier.  NOW I am on Quicken 2019 Premier subscription and it is STILL happening!  If you do a search for paycheck split blank transactions, there are PAGES of returned results of other users having this same issue.  When is Quicken going to repair this software bug?
  • I have the same problem.  Validate shows three paychecks with damaged transfers to two different accounts.  It appears as though the only way to fix is to re-create the paychecks manually.  I have been a quicken user since 1990, and have never had data destroyed in an upgrade like this.  

If I take the time to re-create the three invalid paychecks, will it fix the problem?  

Have users who have seen this problem had ongoing issues?
  • wi_muggswi_muggs Member ✭✭
    I am still having this issue.  I can't believe that Quicken has not looked into this issue.  It would be pretty easy for them to replicate it in a test environment.  

I suspect that the issue is with how the transactions our updated on the cloud sync.  Due to the 401k/Investment accounts not in the Cloud, when the transactions get synced up, the transaction from the cloud has no reference to the 401k accounts.

Quicken this issue is very annoying for a loyal customer of yours for decades.
  • Justin SealJustin Seal Member
    I have had the same issue for over 1 year.  It is really frustrating that it has not been fixed through multiple software updates.  I have to go back and enter the details of each paycheck when it disappears to track my budget because everything from the paycheck disappears from there too.  I have called support and tried validating and repairing the file.  I have deleted the recurring paycheck and rebuilt it.  Nothing seems to work.

It is really annoying for a loyal customer (10-15 years) when considering whether to renew the new subscription that is now required by Quicken.
    Crickets.....   Always on edge watching for the next time the bug strikes.     
  • YaffiYaffi Member ✭✭
    For the sake of this task, I deposit my paycheck into two accounts, I will call them Account1 and Account2. Account1 is where I enter the transaction, and Account2 is set up as another deposit account at the bottom of the "Edit Current Paycheck" function.

This has been happening for many months now, but today seems to have gotten worse.

Here are the steps:

In Account 1:
    Copy last paycheck transaction and paste as a new transaction.
    Change the date and save transaction.
    Click "Open the Split Transaction Window" Green check mark in the "Category" Column.
    Update: Earnings, Pre-Tax Deds, Taxes, After-Tax Deds, and 2nd Deposit Acct amt.
    Click Enter at the top of the form.

Sometimes all seems to go well and account balances for both accounts update accordingly.
    Other times, the transaction I copied from disappears and the account balances change accordingly.

Other times, it may seem to have worked just fine, but after logging out and back in, I will see that the transaction in Account1 changed to a "Payment" from a "Deposit", and the account balance will reflect this change. The amount in the "Payment" field is the same amount that was deposited in Account2. The way to clear this in the past was to click "Open the Split Transaction Window" Green check mark in the "Category" Column for Account1, and not modify anything, but just press "Enter". The transaction sound effect would happen, and all would seem well. This did not happen tonight. Tonight, after running "One Step Update" the sound for entering a transaction happened all on its own during the update, and I sighed because in the past when that happens, it entered a mysterious transaction, or changed something in the past that I had to search for because account balances changed.

After the update, I looked at Account2 and there were two transactions seemingly generated from this paycheck transaction. I tried deleting one of them, but I couldn't because it warned me that it was generated from the other account. Fair enough, I didn't want to delete that one anyway, but there was no way to tell the transactions apart. So I tried deleting the other (duplicate looking) transaction. When I did this, it deleted, but I also noticed the account balance on Account1 decreased.

I went back over to Account1, and the transaction had been changed back to a Payment transaction again, kinda like before. However, when I tried what I normally have to do to correct it, when I opened the transaction details, none of the split lines loaded. I closed it and tried again, same thing. So I just hit "Enter" to see what would happen. When I did this, it cleared the transaction and changed the account balance, and it was no longer a "paycheck" type transaction, but the category instead only had the name of Account1 in it.

I started from scratch again, copying my previous paycheck and saving, as I normally have to do. But this time, after saving the new transaction, the previous transaction disappeared. So I had to copy from the new transaction I just created and paste and update all the values for the last one and save it. It seems stable since then, but I give it another One Step Update to fail again.

This behavior has happened far too long, and I have emailed with the presidents office with promises of fixes, but nothing even remotely close to a fix, instead it is worse.

Entering a paycheck is even more annoying because adjusting the size of the Quicken Window flickers and shudders as it is updating and acts like it is going to die if you move it or try to resize it. So instead, I open my paycheck and then open Quicken, and ALT-TAB between the two to enter my transaction details. I have a 4K 32" Monitor with plenty of real estate so one would thing split-screen would work just fine, but not with this old rusted out program.

My computer is not the issue. My Quicken File lives on the NVMe drive, which is almost like it living in RAM.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17426345

UserBenchmarks: Game 104%, Desk 131%, Work 96%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 98.7%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 98.8%
    SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB - 63.2%
    SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 224%
    HDD: WD Black 6TB (2015) - 87%
    HDD: WD Black 6TB (2015) - 94.3%
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB - 105.2%
    MBD: EVGA 142-SS-E178
This discussion has been closed.