Home Alerts & Known Product Issues

Paycheck split values are gone

2»

Comments

• YaffiYaffi Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    One thought I had on the problem as happened tonight. I was wondering if there might be some contention between the online (Quicken Cloud) and my local copy, where a transaction is updated locally, but then when it syncs, it matches similar to the remote copy and doesn't handle the conflict properly. I am not sure how they keep track of transactions when there are conflicts between the online copy or my local copy, perhaps they they track a "modified time" on each transaction to select which one wins if there is a conflict. One thing I do know, is the amount of time I have invested in trying to work around these problems and the amount of anger I have towards the Quicken program is too damn high!
  • YaffiYaffi Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I was on Release R18.16 (US Versions, April 2019) when all this happened and I just noticed 19.44 was out (not sure why it didn't auto update me, it does every other time), but I ran the "Check for Updates" and installed Release R19.44 (US Versions, May 2019) so we shall see what happens, but I don't plan to hold my breath.

I notice this online community web app is super responsive and very slick, if only they could rebuild the Quicken program to be the same, with fluid and instant responses, no jittery typing or other crap with the UI issues on high res monitors, just simple 21st century technology working the way it should be in 2019. If it was as smooth as this support site, I would buy a 10 year subscription to the dang program.
  • KyricusKyricus Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am using Quicken 2019 Windows

I have a memorized paycheck transaction ( set up using the paycheck wizard) that shows incorrect splits when viewing it as a reminder in the account registers. The deposit is split between two accounts, my primary checking, and secondary.

When I enter the reminder (after receiving the paycheck), everything works fine; the correct net amounts are split to the correct accounts.

However, if I set the register to view future reminders, the reminder is allocating the entire net deposit amount to the primary checking account and showing nothing for the secondary - even though if I look at the reminder itself in Bill and Income reminders, it shows the split. 

Since everything works properly once I actually enter the paycheck, is there something in need to do differently in the reminder to get it to show the split deposit?

Thanks for the answer, I was afraid that might be the case as I couldn't find a solution and I've used quicken for many years. I've only recently started showing reminders in the register however.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    "When a reminder containing transfer entries is shown in a register, the reminder may not display properly in each register."

I was not aware of this potential problem before reading this discussion. 

When I just created a paycheck with two deposit accounts in a test (Q2019 R18.16) Quicken file, I saw no discrepancy in the primary deposit account balance when I had Quicken show reminders in the paycheck primary deposit account. The account balance was reduced by only the portion of the amount of the paycheck scheduled to be deposited in the primary deposit account - that is: the paycheck Reminder was treated correctly by Quicken (the secondary deposit account also had its balance modified correctly).

Do you have any additional information to indicate which Reminders will fail to treat their transfers correctly when displayed in their Quicken account, prior to being Entered?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    From C. D. Bales:
    "When a reminder containing transfer entries is shown in a register, the reminder may not display properly in each register."

I was not aware of this potential problem before reading this discussion. 

When I just created a paycheck with two deposit accounts in a test (Q2019 R18.16) Quicken file, I saw no discrepancy in the primary deposit account balance when I had Quicken show reminders in the paycheck primary deposit account. The account balance was reduced by only the portion of the amount of the paycheck scheduled to be deposited in the primary deposit account - that is: the paycheck Reminder was treated correctly by Quicken (the secondary deposit account also had its balance modified correctly).

Do you have any additional information to indicate which Reminders will fail to treat their transfers correctly when displayed in their Quicken account, prior to being Entered?

I have no difficulty reproducing the OP's issue in a test data file created for this purpose (Q2019 R19.44).  Note: Both accounts are configured to show reminders for the next 30 days.

The issue appears to be that a reminder is associated with an account and sometimes the impact of transfers within the reminder are not properly displayed in the accounts as shown above. 

Here's a simple transfer reminder that is handled properly:

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    edited June 2019
    @Sherlock Yep, that's exactly what is happening with my paycheck. It shows the entire amount going into checking acct 1 and nothing into checking acct 2.

What I have done as a work around is set up a separate transfer reminder to move the $$ between the accounts, as you have shown above. The only issue then is to remember to "ignore" the reminders rather than enter them as the actual deposit will correct the registers.
  • stevesbestevesbe Member ✭✭
    :# I have for the past several months lost the detail of my wife's paycheck. Although the total in the registry is correct, the detail is completely blank. I am unaware of this happening unless I open the split transaction screen to check into the detail for some reason. A file validation does not identify any problems with the detailed information except for one entry that deposits to a flex account. A screen shot of what I see when I click on the split transaction window is at link ttps://www.screencast.com/t/Nmlo77npt. Is anyone else having this problem. If so, what can I do to fix it?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you record your wife's paycheck detail?
    Do you use a Scheduled Reminder with all the Split detail? And do you record the paycheck transaction BEFORE you download data from the bank?
    If you do this correctly, Quicken should be able to match the downloaded deposit transaction to the existing register transaction, preserving all your Split detail.
    edited June 2019
    I use a scheduled reminder with all split detail.
    I do record the paycheck transaction before downloading from the bank.

A couple items I forgot to add (sorry) that might be pertinent are:

1. When I hover the mouse pointer (Win 10) over the register's transaction category ("Paycheck") it displays the detail but when I go into the detail
    it does not display for the problem transactions.

2. I have the scheduled reminder automatically apply the paycheck 28 days before the check arrives (to see ahead for future account balance issues).

3. Sometimes it does work... April and June do not display the split detail. But the May and the July scheduled transaction do display the detail. I might have manually corrected the May transaction but cannot remember. The July transaction has not yet been downloaded from the bank

edited June 2019
    I misspoke on #3....and I also revised it in the previous reply above.

Another thing I discovered is the following that might help figure out the issue. I did the following:

1. I go into the problem split transactions to edit it.

2. Instead of editing it I immediately click the Cancel button to cancel the change.

3. Quicken pops up a message asking me "Are you sure you want to cancel?".

When I do this with a split transaction for a paycheck entry that works properly, I do not get that question.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been a number of posts for the last year or so with paycheck detail display issues, varying depending on the version and release level of your Quicken. It's a bug ... it's a feature ... I guess, it's an incompatible change made by a programmer ... ;-)
    For example, printable reports and views show transaction detail, but selecting a paycheck's Split detail shows nothing.
    Other than deleting and reentering a standard Split transaction with all the detail maybe the following might help:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems
    If all else fails, contact Quicken Support.

edited June 2019
    Thanks UKR. I mostly agree.

But the one part of the split transaction problem is the issue that showed up during my file validation.

This caused an issue related to one of the paycheck split transaction entries that should have posted to my flex account but that was reported as an error in that account.

That tells me that it's not just a display issue but an application issue. It may be related to when information is download from the bank.

I will contact Quicken Support to make sure they are aware of the issue. I will also correct that bad paychecks manually and then I'm going to delete the scheduled reminder and re-create it for the future to see if this corrects the issue.

• jbray1234jbray1234 Member ✭✭
    I have been having this same problem since mid-2018. And I did submit a support message to them about it in March. For me I have only ever seen the problem manifest itself immediately after installing an update. Since January I have been monitoring past paycheck entries each month, and it had been six months since an occurrence of this bug. There have been several updates during that time and I was honestly thinking this might have been fixed. But it just happened to me again this week. There were a couple updates back to back, so not sure which one did it, but I'm on version R20.15 now. My last six paychecks were all corrupted. The splits show up up you hover over the field with the mouse, but it you open it to edit the split, everything is zeros all the way down.

Something new I noticed today is that when you click cancel to close it, it asks you if you're sure you want to cancel. Normally if you don't edit anything, you do not get that message. So somehow in the act of opening it to edit the splits, it actually changes them in that moment.

I've read others' comments about being linked to matching, syncing with web, reconciling, etc. I've tried several different variations of ways to clear and reconcile transactions. For example, deleting the downloaded transaction and manually clearing the one in my register without matching. Today's recurrence still has me puzzled, because I have a paycheck from Feb that was not harmed, which was handled exactly the same as all of the more recent paychecks that did get corrupted. I feel like there is no magic in how the paycheck is cleared or reconciled.

I have already tried creating a new paycheck reminder entry again. For a while I was actually tracking both the old and new paychecks, but only matching and clearing one. In that experiment, I found that creating a new paycheck entry made no difference. But clearing/reconciling/matching to downloaded transactions did matter, because my uncleared duplicate entries were never corrupted.

I am very frustrated and still waiting for some resolution from Quicken.
  • Pam FlaigPam Flaig Member ✭✭
    With no explanations, i'm still on edge with any update.
    I'm on R20.15 and seems not to have been an issue. So apparently the issue appears differently and inconsistently for different users.
    I'm still using file rebuilt at the beginning of the 2019 w/data back to 2002; it was a pain to rebuild with exported transactions, but maybe there was something progressively over time that kept corrupting. I hope to never need to do that again.
  • dominipaterdominipater Member ✭✭
    I just had this bug after installing R21.12 (QD-2019) build 27.1.21.12 on at least one paycheck. Haven't checked all.
    After I updated the product, the home screen said I had an uncategorized transaction.
    This led me to the paycheck. I hover over the category and can see the pop-up with the splits. Clicking on the checkmark leads to the paycheck splits screen but all sections are now blank.
  • sdpittssdpitts Member ✭✭
    well I will jump in I just started having the issue in the last few weeks - noticed it did an auto update recently... so far I only see the last paycheck(s) 8/15 for both our payroll checks (two diff 401k accounts). tried copying, one that works and when updates just the new one has error - was about to try making new payroll entry, but someone above said the tried that.. hope my old entries don't start breaking ha I too have years years data Im on the latest version.

QUICKEN HELLO?? surely your only answer cant be just start over!! I have invested years of time into this setup and data. Your best is try export/import on new setup? - how about you write a data fix program like ever other software vendor of your stature/user base does. This is not some simple mobile app I use for random checking and budget tracking.
    B)
  • TB AgentTB Agent Member ✭✭
    Another issues with the latest update from Quicken, I just discovered that after this update, I can no longer edit my paycheck splits, it doesn't show anything after the account the paycheck goes in, I had to do a work around to get the checks to work the last time. Quicken it is time to setup and fix your software and give user a refund on their subscription until you fix your issue

I have been a long time user, but I think it is time to speak up!!!!

I wonder how many other issues I am going to have!

Quicken Premium 2019 R 20.15
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development Teams for further research and resolution.

At this time I do not have an ETA on when a solution will be available, once a solution has been found it will be released as part of a future release.

If you are affected by this issue and would like to add your information, including a sanitized copy of the data file where this issue may be seen, to assist with the open investigation, please open the affected data file and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem option.

In the window that opens, enter "CTP-380" in the subject line, check the boxes for every file listed, including the sanitized data file copy and add any additional information or details regarding specific transactions or accounts affected and when ready click "Send to Quicken".

Thank you,

Sarah

[CTP-380]
  • SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Syncing Quicken and Quicken Cloud.
    edited September 2019
    Thought this may have been fixed but, I was wrong. I was able to delete my transfer reminder and it looks as if they paycheck reminder is working as I would have expected it to, in the projected balances tab, still doesn't show in the register correctly though... I know it's not big in the scheme of things but I would like to see this fixed.

The strange thing is, it works correctly in the projected balances report without the transfer reminder, but if I add the transfer reminder so the actual register looks correct, it doubles up on the projected balances report...Grrr. Frustrating.
  • Diver42420Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    Running QWin Deluxe 2019 R21.17, long-time user. My wife's paychecks are entered automatically via bill & income reminders. I was trying to edit the splits on one to adjust for a bonus and saw that when I open the splits on it, they're empty. But if I hover over the two buttons that open the splits (create a mini-category report and the regular Y split button), I can see the amounts in there. Several paychecks are like this but not all.

This is really messed up. How can I fix it and be able to edit the splits??
    That worked, thanks! Not the usual clean paycheck split window broken into categories, but I guess it will work. I expect better now that I'm forced to pay a subscription feel.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Older existing paycheck transaction which appear to not show split detail ... that appears to be some kind of incompatibility (aka bug) introduced by the programmers. :-(
    I recommend you not try to make changes to these transactions. Input separate adjustment transactions instead.
    If you haven't done so already please perform step (2) in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

This paycheck is only two weeks old. Yes I've already done the whole drill off fixing up the database and other hoops we're asked to jump through which never really seem to solve anything, other than make complaintants go away for a while.
  • Pam FlaigPam Flaig Member ✭✭
    We've had several chains on this for several years, only recently to be acknowledged by Quicken. And now today i find the issue again on my last cleared paycheck from 2wk ago. We need a solution asap as these are very frustrating and not apparent. I already rebuilt my entire 20yr history quicken file last year to fix many on going issues. No one has time for this nonsense!
  • dave.quayle7dave.quayle7 Member ✭✭
    This has happened to me again also. wifes paycheck only deposited into one account/ not split. 4 out of the last 5 weeks disappeared in the paycheck window. if hovered over the transaction the pop up window would show the amounts but if clicked on "split" icon it is blank. One transaction corrupt, next one good then last 3 no good.
    This has to be fixed. have to be able to trust the software and!!! but cant
  • wi_muggswi_muggs Member ✭✭
    It is about time for Quicken to finally start researching this issue. This problem is definately related to syncing the transactions to the cloud. I suspect that not all the split information is sent to the cloud for accounts that are not in the cloud. i.e Investment-401k accounts.

I now have a interesting issue with updating the my paycheck split. My paycheck amount has changed, so I am updating the split items. At the end the amount being deposited in my checking account matches to my paycheck. But after saving the changes the amount listed on my register in quicken does not match.
This discussion has been closed.