downloading new stock purchase is being associated to another stock automatically

Sometimes when I download a new stock purchase it automatically gets associated to another stock in my portfolio.  Even if I follow the prompts to set it up as a new stock, it still associates to the stock Quicken thinks is the best match.  Tried manually setting up the new stock before downloading but same thing occurs.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    When a new security is included in a transaction download, there is s pop up asking you if the new security matches one you already own (with a list for you to match to) or a new security.

If you have already created the security, just be sure to choose the right match from the offered list. Otherwise choose new security.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Make sure each stock has a different Ticker Symbol.
  • CPZCPZ Member
    edited May 2018
    mshiggins said:

When a new security is included in a transaction download, there is s pop up asking you if the new security matches one you already own (with a list for you to match to) or a new security.

If you have already created the security, just be sure to choose the right match from the offered list. Otherwise choose new security.

I did follow the pop up, several times, each time reverting back to an earlier file so that it was clean.  In every case, it associates itself with another stock in my portfolio . . . no matter what I do.  Stock symbol is different, it is a fund vs. a stock, etc.
  • CPZCPZ Member
    edited May 2018
    They do.  Thanks
    edited May 2018
    mshiggins said:

Have you tried answering the pop up that it is a new security and let it create the new security?
  • CPZCPZ Member
    edited May 2018
    mshiggins said:

Yes, multiple times . . . no matter what I do it continues to associate to a different stock.
    edited May 2018
    mshiggins said:

What version are you using?
  • CPZCPZ Member
    edited May 2018
    mshiggins said:

Windows 2018, R8.8, Build 27.1.8.8.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Quicken should be matching the downloaded transactions to securities in Quicken by the CUSIP ID.  We may view the CUSIP ID associated with a security in Quicken by: entering Ctrl + Y and  selecting the security name, Edit Security Details, and Other Info.  The CUSIP ID of a downloaded transaction may be viewed by examining the QFX file or OFX log (select Help > Log Files and OFX Log).

From your description, I suspect the financial institution may be providing the wrong CUSIP ID in the downloaded transaction.  If so, I suggest you contact the financial institution.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited May 2018
    Sherlock said:

Quicken should be matching the downloaded transactions to securities in Quicken by the CUSIP ID.  We may view the CUSIP ID associated with a security in Quicken by: entering Ctrl + Y and  selecting the security name, Edit Security Details, and Other Info.  The CUSIP ID of a downloaded transaction may be viewed by examining the QFX file or OFX log (select Help > Log Files and OFX Log).

From your description, I suspect the financial institution may be providing the wrong CUSIP ID in the downloaded transaction.  If so, I suggest you contact the financial institution.

If he says the security is new, I don't think it should be matched to an existing security.
  • CPZCPZ Member
    edited January 23
    Thanks for the replies.  I had previously checked the CUSIP IDs but did it again.  They are completely different.  What is interesting is that I am downloading two new stock purchases.  One enters correctly and the other one is causing the problems.  Everything about the stock looks fine in the security list details, except that the transaction history for another stock is showing up . . . therefor it is being associated to the wrong stock in my portfolio.
    edited May 2018
    Sherlock said:

In a download from a financial institution of the purchase of a new security, there should be at least two occurrences of the new CUSIP ID.  One would be for the share balance and the others would be for the transactions. 
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited January 23
    CPZ said:

Thanks for the replies.  I had previously checked the CUSIP IDs but did it again.  They are completely different.  What is interesting is that I am downloading two new stock purchases.  One enters correctly and the other one is causing the problems.  Everything about the stock looks fine in the security list details, except that the transaction history for another stock is showing up . . . therefor it is being associated to the wrong stock in my portfolio.

If you're saying the CUSIP ID of the new security is unique and matches the CUSIP ID for the new security in the download, but the new security has a different security's transactions, I suspect the Security List is corrupt.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • CPZCPZ Member
    edited May 2018
    CPZ said:

Thank you for this suggestion.  I did try this a few times also, but the problem remains.  The new downloaded stock continues to be linked to stock options (with no CUSIPID) in another one of my accounts.  I suspect I will have to contact Quicken to see if this is a known issue or if they have a solution.
  • Steve JaegerSteve Jaeger Member
    edited January 23
    Sherlock said:

I have noticed that investment houses often times use abbreviations for a security and at this time Quicken asks if the security they picked out of a hat is the right one. Downloading the Ticker symbol or this CUSIP ID sounds like it would salve the problem.  How do we get Quicken to do it?  
    edited January 24
    Sherlock said:

Steve Jaeger: Quicken is not relying on the name of a security used by the financial institution.  Quicken relies on the CUSIP ID to match the security in Quicken with the security data provided by the financial institution.  If the CUSIP ID provided by the financial institution does not match the CUSIP ID of security in Quicken we're prompted to establish the match.

If you have matched the security incorrectly, I suggest you uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window for the security.  When you subsequently access the account or download from the financial institution, you should be prompted to match the imported security.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Sherlock said:

If the CUSIP ID provided by the financial institution does match the CUSIP ID of security in Quicken we're prompted to establish the match.
    Should be "does not match"

-- Jim QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.