Quicken 2017 update R16.2

TFTF Member
Just updated R16.2 and Quicken doesn't shut down properly. Just spoke with Quicken Support and they confirmed that there is an issue with this update. 

Comments

• TFTF Member
    edited October 2018
    Support took me to quicken support page and I reinstalled previous version mondo patch for R15.15. 
  • splashersplasher ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @Turnando Fuad

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Quicken doesn't shut down properly"?

Both File->Exit and the upper-right corner "X" close QW2017 (26.1.16.2) without hanging and/or freezing for me as expected.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Monte BlissMonte Bliss Member
    edited October 2018
    Seems like it is not honoring Backup Preferences anymore. I have a Manual Backup Reminder set and it worked until I updated to this crappy version.  Grrr.
    edited June 2018

Seems like it is not honoring Backup Preferences anymore. I have a Manual Backup Reminder set and it worked until I updated to this crappy version.  Grrr.

You could always download the R15.15 patch from this link: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW2017R15.15MPatch.EXE
    also have your QW2017 install program available.
    After downloading the patch,
    -uninstall QW2017,
    -disable your internet connection (to prevent Quicken from updating to the latest release)
    -install Quicken
    -run the R15.15 patch

Make sure that your Windows UAC setting requires your approval for programs to update themselves.

• TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

@Turnando Fuad

Both File->Exit and the upper-right corner "X" close QW2017 (26.1.16.2) without hanging and/or freezing for me as expected.

It has a quicken blank screen that hangs. I am able to shut down the process from task manager only if Quicken shows not responding. Othertimes, I have to restart windows. The good thing is it doesn't seem to affect the data. But I went to Quicken support to reinstall the previous version R15.15. 
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    splasher said:

@Turnando Fuad

And Quicken support is recommending against installing R16.2 upgrade until they have the full Mondo version of R16.2 on their support website. They are aware of update issues for some users. 
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you click the red X in the upper right corner, Quicken will still perform a manual backup.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Monte BlissMonte Bliss Member
    edited June 2018

If you click the red X in the upper right corner, Quicken will still perform a manual backup.

Spot on. Thanks!
  • TFTF Member
    edited January 18
    Just opened my Quicken this morning and saw that the R16.2 is not an option for update anymore. It's gone from One Step Update and Check for updates. Thanks Quicken for responding quickly. 
  • edited June 2018
    splasher said:

@Turnando Fuad

Solves my inquiry about R16.2 upgrade not installing on third computer.  It appears that I should reinstall R15.15 on computers that have R16.2 if difficulties develop.  I am getting some weird looking "stuff" at times with R16.2.  Thanks for the postings about R16.2
  • Joe PJoe P Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Just opened my Quicken this morning and saw that the R16.2 is not an option for update anymore. It's gone from One Step Update and Check for updates. Thanks Quicken for responding quickly. 

On June 19 at 3 pm CDT, it "automatically" started an update to 16.2 on my Win 10 1803 machine, and cause the "Blue Screen Of Exit" just as others have described.  So much for quality control testing! 
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Support took me to quicken support page and I reinstalled previous version mondo patch for R15.15. 

The R16.2 update was released again today. Unfortunately, I am having the same issue where I am left with a blank inaccessible Quicken screen when I exit Quicken. I have to go to Windows task manager to end the non responding Quicken application.. 

FYI, I installed my R16.2 update from the Mondo patch from the Quicken support site. 

I had to go back again to R15.15. 
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

They will not make any changes and still call it 16.2, so unless there is something else that you are changing (update to Windows, etc), trying 16.2 is useless for you.

Were you using File->Exit or the X to exit?  Does it happen with both?

BTW, the 16.2 mondo patch is available at:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

• TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Using the mondo patch and have tried this on 2 different computers running windows 10 version 1803. The same thing is happening when using different files. 

Yeah, using File->Exit. 

This was the same problem after the initial R16.2 release last week. 

The status of this discussion should be changed to not solved. 
  • sabermansaberman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Quicken Home & Business 2017 Version 15.15 Build 26.1.15.15
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.492)

It still shows as available in Help-->Check for updates

Quicken also prompts on exit that there is a new version available and do you want to install it?  If you click yes you get:

Notice there aren't any release notes for R16.2.

• SherlockSherlock ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • PierreKPierreK Member
    edited October 2018
    Quicken 2017: File -> Exit does not close the window nor terminates the qw.exe process after updating to R16.2 build 26.1.16.2
    Killing the process from Task Manager jeopardizes the data and may result in corruption!  This is unbelievable!
    How did a bug this obvious get through QA testing????  When will this be fixed?
    edited June 2018
    PierreK said:

Quicken 2017: File -> Exit does not close the window nor terminates the qw.exe process after updating to R16.2 build 26.1.16.2
    Killing the process from Task Manager jeopardizes the data and may result in corruption!  This is unbelievable!

Use the X in the upper right corner of the Quicken window and everything works as it should.
    When will this be fixed
    Your guess is good as anyone's guess, Quicken does not publish a list of when then will be fixed.

• TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    PierreK said:

Thanks! I was able to test it on another computer using temporary data files and the program exits closing with X on the right hand corner. 

Quicken knew about this File->exit issue and I am surprised they released the upgrade after pulling the upgrade last week. 

It's one thing to not know and release but to know, and re-release a buggy update with a known problem? 
    edited June 2018
    PierreK said:

What I believe is happening is as follows.
    Quicken is now actively supporting three versions, 2016, 2017 and subscription.  Some of the changes being made (the new CapOne protocol is one example) requires that they change all three.  In years past, it was very rare for them to go back and change the two prior versions.
    They are moving large chunks of software from the subscription version they build the change into the other two versions.
    In doing so, they are inducing bugs in the other versions that were only in the source version, so some bugs are going backwards.
    This File->Exit bug is not new overall, it just showed up due to one of these software chunks being moved to resolve a different problem. 

Should it happen? No, but this is not the first time it has happened in recent months.  In two years, when they only have the subscription to support, this bug-replication issue will no longer exist.

• TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    PierreK said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

I am a software engineer by training and these processes shouldn't be an excuse for Quicken. 

I hope they clean up their processes real quick so this don't happen again. 

In the meantime, they need to pull the upgrade until they fix this. 
    edited June 2018
    PierreK said:

In the meantime, they need to pull the upgrade until they fix this. 
    That means that the CapOne protocol would be pulled and totally screw those users over with no workaround versus just the inconvenience of how a user exits Quicken.

• TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    PierreK said:

Its Quicken's job to fix *all* the problems. They need to do it for each version. We paid for the software or subscription. 

How do I know that using File->Exit would not corrupt my data if I forget ot click the X and have to kill the process? 

It's unacceptable to deliver buggy software no matter the excuse. 
  • Alan E LongAlan E Long Member
    edited June 2018
    I have the hang-at-File-Exit problem too.  And, One-Step-Update fails to complete: it stops with an error has occurred message (but no error message number is displayed).And the QDF file is always left in an  Open state - I can't access my data again until I reboot the PC.  And I see that the QDF file is now twice its previous size (from 54,000KB to 106,000KB).   Applying the Mondo 16.2 patch didn't help.  I haven't tried to revert to a previous version but will wait another day for a Quicken solution.
  • edited June 2018
    TF said:

Just updated to 16.2 with automatic update.  It is making double entries in the register and clicking on menu items.  After backing up my data it started acting right.  Runing Windows® 7 Pro.  This release is screwy.
  • ScottScott Member
    edited June 2018
    I have been having this problem through several versions (currently running Win 10, QW 17 Premier 16.2).
    I can always tell that I will not be able to shut down properly or back up (at all) so long as the calendar is only minimized. ( not fully closed). When this happens, I go to open the calendar again and TWO calendar tabs open up at the bottom, (above the windows taskbar). I always have to exit via task manager when this happens.Very disappointed with QW, I have been using this for over 20 years and the amount of bugs in the last few years is driving me mad.
    Please get this fixed.
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    Hope we get an official response from Quicken as to what's going on and what they will do to fix this. 
  • TFTF Member
    edited June 2018
    BTW, are superusers Sherlock and Splasher with Quicken or just super knowledgeable and kind users who helps out with Quicken issues. 
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    All SuperUsers are just super knowledgeable and kind users who helps out with Quicken issues.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Dave BurnsDave Burns Member
    edited June 2018
    TF said:

Same problem here.  Closing application leaves screen open using either File Close or hitting the X in the upper right hand corner.  Ridiculous.  Nice patch.  I'm guessing it wasn't fully tested.