Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Reports (Windows)

Ability to report using multiple Quicken files

PilotbumPilotbum Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Reports (Windows)
Contrary to Quicken's recommendations I have a 3.5GB Quicken file that goes back to 1992. I know, that's a lot and can be greatly reduced. Quicken recommends you start a new file every couple years and reduce the file size by removing old data. I have on many occasions, however, had the need to search for transactions from several years prior. Additionally, for me another HUGE reward of being an avid Quicken user is seeing my personal financial progress. Net worth, debt reduction, asset accumulation etc. Presently Quicken can only report what is in it's opened file. It would be nice to be able to search and report using multiple data files so you can have access to old data. 
2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Most power-users I am aware of keep their data in one file.  While tier-1 support may have it in their scripts to tell users to start a new file every couple of years, I don't see that really being a "Quicken recommendation".  I see it as a trouble-shooting step; a 'close out this problem' step.  

My data file goes back to 1991.  

I could imagine all sorts of headaches drawing reports out of multiple files.  
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 11

Most power-users I am aware of keep their data in one file.  While tier-1 support may have it in their scripts to tell users to start a new file every couple of years, I don't see that really being a "Quicken recommendation".  I see it as a trouble-shooting step; a 'close out this problem' step.  

Overlapping, redundant, data being but one of those headaches.
    And in my brokerage account, I have data going back to 1983.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • PilotbumPilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 11

Glad I'm not the only one with an enormous file. 
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Please provide more
    details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if
    you have account registers approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

How many scanned-in documents do you have in your data file? More than 3 GB worth?

And I'd also like to
    see the "File Information" window 
    (See below)

Is any cloud backup
    software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is
    running?

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g.
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how
    many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:

- Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you
    have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of
    Transactions".

If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at
    the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of
    Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the
    Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box.
    Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it
    here.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or
    GIF.

To attach the image
    here, start composing your response. At the bottom of the text entry window
    you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera
    icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select and upload the
    captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at
    wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 11

Without a doubt your enormous file is caused by the attachments, not your actual transactions.  And those attachments are actually not really stored with the transactions, and as such they have little impact on the performance.
    The Quicken data file is a compressed file made up of the files that hold the transactions and other Quicken information and the Attach folder that holds your attachments.  This can be seen opening a Quicken data file with 7-Zip:image
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 11

BUT, be careful to not change/delete/rename (i.e., in ANY WAY change) any of those contents.  LOOK ONLY!
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10
    I support this suggestion. I would love to leave file corruption, old transactions, closed lots, expired options, etc. behind & start a new clean file. But I have too many open investment lots to make this practical.

I would love to leave old, corrupted data behind in a file of its own — as long as I could incorporate that file’s data into my current file’s data to produce historical reports.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    This idea is going to get archived unless it garners some votes.
    (In other words, Bump!)
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your main problem is slow performance due to a large number of transactions in an investing account, you might explore the relatively new "Archive transactions" option. This moves the transactions for closed positions to an archive account in the same file, and often improves performance. The old transactions are still available for viewing and for performance and other reports.

Read the instructions carefully and be sure to back up your data file in case something goes wrong or the result is not to your liking.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • dtjdtj Member ✭✭
    My quicken file has data from 2005. I would like to use the year end copy facility to reduce the size of my file, but have not done so, as I would lose the ability to produce consolidated reports on all of data. (like seeing my net worth grow over multiple years)

Could you consider modifying *all* reports to look back to prior year end files? Another example of where this would be useful is when looking for when major purchases are made. I do this now by searching in my large file. If I were to use Year end copies, I would have to search each one independently.

Thanks for your consideration.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many here would recommend that given the speed and storage capacity of modern computers, very little is gained by using the "Year end Copy" feature.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I look at this as a request to "reduce the speed and efficiency of the reporting system".

Reports are generated by doing queries on the Quicken database in the data file.
    Databases are setup for fast queries that can get at data based on filters like time without searching through all the data.

This request on the other hand is a request to open multiple data files and databases to do the query, the only possible result is a slower query, there isn't any chance that it would be faster to do it this way.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)