Automatic quote update occurs even when the markets aren't open.

Mary Ann Edson-Plumb
Mary Ann Edson-Plumb Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Investments (Windows)
I have Quicken set to automatically update the values of my investments.  This seems to be an intensive process, as Quicken freezes for about 30 seconds or a minute each time.  So I have two suggestions:

1. Make it possible to set an interval for these updates.  Right now, it is every 15 minutes with no ability to set any other interval. Once an hour would work better for me and others might prefer other intervals.
2. Put in an internal table so that Quicken knows then the markets aren't open and doesn't try to update during those times.  It's frustrating to be hung up when there is nothing to update.
I like the convenience of the automatic update, but the freeze hits every time I open Quicken even at times when there is no new data available. 
2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Good ideas, also make sure that when the update is done, the focus is returned to where it was.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Freezing is why I disabled this feature. I'm not a day trader, so I simply click on the update button whenever I think about it during the day. I use my online brokerage alerts for the securities I hold anyway.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

I wanted to add an update to this Idea, while there hasn't been a change to the available intervals of updating quotes that have been an update to improve the speed of updating quotes.

The R27.20 release Increased the speed of updating investment quotes from the investments tab by not downloading historical quotes. Historical quotes are always downloaded during One Step Update. To include historical quotes from the Portfolio View use Shift-Get Quotes.

This may help the hanging experienced when updating quotes.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~