Balance Due wrong on Customer Invoice

2»

Comments

• RussRuss Member
    edited September 2018

@Quicken Alex, can you explain to me why there is both a Total line and a Balance Due line in Quicken 2018 HBR? It seems redundant to have both since they equal the same amount. Why was Balance Due added in 2018? It should be one or the other. FWIW, a partial payment will reduce the Balance Due but it should be on the Statement not the Invoice.

Greg

Agree 100%
  • RussRuss Member
    edited September 2018

It looks like the balance due line has been removed.  I just created and printed a new invoice and it wasn't on there.

So - for a B&B, what's the best way to provide a quest with a detail of their charges and reflect the deposit paid at time of booking?  Is the intent to create and print an invoice and then create and print a separate statement?  Time-consuming and a waste of time and paper.  Any customization that can be done in reports to create a document?

As a "work around", I use the comments section of the invoice to note deposit paid and date, and balance due... but I sometimes forget which leaves me scrambling at checkout time - that's why I was thrilled when the invoices were reflecting payments made.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

On what release was it removed or what did you do to remove it?  It still appears on my invoice and it is annoying.
  • RussRuss Member
    edited September 2018

Hello Paul,

I've checked my help request ticket and our Product Developers confirmed that the invoice "balance due" field is working as designed.

Essentially, the thought behind this is that an invoice is a bill for an account between a buyer and a seller that indicates what was sold, and how much is owed. As such, this bill does not change as payments are made because those are still the original, agreed upon terms of the sale and total amount owed.

A statement is a summary of a customer's invoices and payments and reflects the reduction in the total balance as the payments are made. Sending a monthly statement of the total balance and payment history is standard practice for any business. An invoice would only be re-issued if an error was made or if the terms of the sale have changed and the customer needs to be re-invoiced.

I have submitted a feature request ticket to ask that we add the ability to email statements from within Quicken for easier tracking of the payment history and statement handling. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that our Product Developers will add this ability, but I have provided a link to this conversation to show the need/desire for such an ability.

If I receive an update to confirm this feature will be added, I'll be sure to let everyone on this feed know. In the meantime, I recommend sending Statements to customers, rather than Invoices, to ensure the correct Balance Due is reflected. Once the statements is created, select to print it, set the printer to "Quicken PDF Printer on nul" (in order to save the PDF to your computer), then you may use an external email provider to email the statement. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced in the interim.

Sincerely,
    Alex

Here's a novel idea.... How about following the invoice format that I have prepared and don't override the "total section" arbitrarily?  At least make the 'Balance Due' line available in the invoice designer so it can be removed if the user doesn't want it.  Why are you hardcoding it?
  • Tom O'BrienTom O'Brien Member
    edited October 2018
    sunny said:

I am having the same problem with my quicken 2017 home and business.  The invoice does not reflect the current balance due on it.  It just shows the original billed amount even though a parital payment has been received and reconciled.  I chatted on line with 2 different customer service agents.  Neither could help me.  The 2nd rep told me that it works correctly on his end when he posts a partial pmt but he said he was using 2018 program and mine is 2017.  But now as I am doing research I am finding it still doesn't work on 2018 version.  When I email the invoice to the customer the balance does not reflect the partial pmt and the new balance.

Statement for a particular customer will get you close, but without a filter for project by customer, it's not as easy or helpful. Intuit: please add more report intelligence.. No reason any report can't be run thru an optional filtering engine for ALL data fields.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    sunny said:

I am having the same problem with my quicken 2017 home and business.  The invoice does not reflect the current balance due on it.  It just shows the original billed amount even though a parital payment has been received and reconciled.  I chatted on line with 2 different customer service agents.  Neither could help me.  The 2nd rep told me that it works correctly on his end when he posts a partial pmt but he said he was using 2018 program and mine is 2017.  But now as I am doing research I am finding it still doesn't work on 2018 version.  When I email the invoice to the customer the balance does not reflect the partial pmt and the new balance.

Intuit hasn't owned Quicken in over 2 years.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • sunnysunny Member
    edited October 2018

Hello Paul,

I've checked my help request ticket and our Product Developers confirmed that the invoice "balance due" field is working as designed.

Essentially, the thought behind this is that an invoice is a bill for an account between a buyer and a seller that indicates what was sold, and how much is owed. As such, this bill does not change as payments are made because those are still the original, agreed upon terms of the sale and total amount owed.

A statement is a summary of a customer's invoices and payments and reflects the reduction in the total balance as the payments are made. Sending a monthly statement of the total balance and payment history is standard practice for any business. An invoice would only be re-issued if an error was made or if the terms of the sale have changed and the customer needs to be re-invoiced.

I have submitted a feature request ticket to ask that we add the ability to email statements from within Quicken for easier tracking of the payment history and statement handling. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that our Product Developers will add this ability, but I have provided a link to this conversation to show the need/desire for such an ability.

If I receive an update to confirm this feature will be added, I'll be sure to let everyone on this feed know. In the meantime, I recommend sending Statements to customers, rather than Invoices, to ensure the correct Balance Due is reflected. Once the statements is created, select to print it, set the printer to "Quicken PDF Printer on nul" (in order to save the PDF to your computer), then you may use an external email provider to email the statement. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced in the interim.

Sincerely,
    Alex

I agree with Russ.  Please give us the option to set the invoice designer to have a balance due.  Its too confusing to have to deal with saving a stmt to pdf format then having to go in to my email and attach a stmt.  Talk about a pain, when it can easily be designed to handle this issue.
  • sunnysunny Member
    edited October 2018

@Quicken Alex, can you explain to me why there is both a Total line and a Balance Due line in Quicken 2018 HBR? It seems redundant to have both since they equal the same amount. Why was Balance Due added in 2018? It should be one or the other. FWIW, a partial payment will reduce the Balance Due but it should be on the Statement not the Invoice.

Greg

Again agree with UKR, we should be able to select item via the invoice designer
  • sunnysunny Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you everyone for your help with this issue.  I see that I am not the only one having a problem with the program design.  What a pain to have to create an invoice then to have to create a stmt, save the stmt to pdf, then open my email and attach just to show a customer their pmts and the balance due.  How unprofessional, and cheap it must look to my customers. Either I have to continue to type into my invoice the pmts rec'd and type in the current balance due manually or look for a new program other than quicken. It's frustrating that something so simple has to be made so complicated for no reason.   I am looking into other programs.  
  • QuickUserLVQuickUserLV Member
    I am creating a custom invoice format and the only thing I'm doing is just turning off some of the items so they do not show up on the invoice (ex. Ship To, Qty, Item, etc.).  The layout only shows a Subtotal, % Tax, and Total line at the bottom, but when I print out the invoice, it adds a Balance Due line below the Total line.  I do not want that but since it isn't on the layout to turn off, I don't know how to get rid of it.  Does anyone else know? 
  • I have the same problem.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a Christmas present given to you by the Quicken programmers. Somebody thought it necessary to add this Balance Due box without adding it to the Invoice Form Designer. :(
    There have been several discussion on this matter here in the Community.
    The only thing we can do at this time is to wait for the programmers to make this a customizable item.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote for it. Click the "Up" triangle under the voting count in the big blue box at the top of this webpage*. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you go on.

*In this lengthy discussion, the Vote count is located at the top of page 1 of the discussion. Select "1" from the green buttons << 1 2 >>
  • UKR,
    Thank you for your response.  I did vote for the enhancement.  Thanks for the directions!
  • FTERooFTERoo Member
    Just upvoted this. No excuses. There MUST be an option to show all transactions against an invoice and the remaining balance on just that invoice.
    Ask an experienced A/R or collections clerk to verify it's usefulness.
    The data's there, just do the math and print it.
  • pdallen1970pdallen1970 Member ✭✭
    It's ridiculous because it does print the balance due IF you print the ONE invoice from the register. But if you print multiple invoices, it doesn't show the correct balance. I've started having to print invoices as I create them, one-at-a-time, after I apply the guests' deposit. About a dozen extra clicks.