quicken online web interface (27 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Web Based.

If you would like to be able to access your Quicken file from any computer at any time without having to install the software, I suggest you consider using a remote desktop client.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • ReneeViehmannReneeViehmann Member
    edited October 2018
    The reason I use Quicken instead of various online financial planning "solutions" is because I can use it WITHOUT the internet. 
    I imagine it would be another option, not a replacement.  Similar to QuickBooks.
    QuickBooks is owned by Intuit, Quicken by Quicken Inc.
    But they were once both Inuit so there's already some background. 
    And so you have a "lame" foundation.  So what does that give you? 
    I would imagine that they would give a full blown web-based version more functionality.  Right now what app is not really useful other than to see how much money you have in your accounts.  
    Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.
  • Quicken KellyQuicken Kelly Member, Employee
    edited August 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.

It would be great for future versions to be web-based so that we can access our Quicken file from any computer at any time without having to install the software.  It seems the foundation is already there with the (lame) mobile app and the ability to sync.   Also, I believe QuickBooks already has this feature so why not extend it to home users.

Hi Renee, 

We do currently have an online companion application that is in Beta and available to Quicken members (Quicken 2018).  Please let me know if you would be interesting in participating in the Beta program. 

Our mobile app recently got completely re-done and is being released in phases to existing users through the various app stores. Keep an eye out for that! 

Best, 
    Kelly 
    edited August 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a plan to make future versions web-based?.

It would be great for future versions to be web-based so that we can access our Quicken file from any computer at any time without having to install the software.  It seems the foundation is already there with the (lame) mobile app and the ability to sync.   Also, I believe QuickBooks already has this feature so why not extend it to home users.

yes, I would be interested in Beta testing.
  • GasportGasport Member
    edited August 2018

Me too.  How do we participate...
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

The reason I use Quicken instead of various online financial planning "solutions" is because I can use it WITHOUT the internet. 
    I imagine it would be another option, not a replacement.  Similar to QuickBooks.
    QuickBooks is owned by Intuit, Quicken by Quicken Inc.
    And so you have a "lame" foundation.  So what does that give you? 
    I would imagine that they would give a full blown web-based version more functionality.  Right now what app is not really useful other than to see how much money you have in your accounts.  

"Background" doesn't produce code.  The one part of the "background" that did produce code is Mint.  For Mint they created a mobile app.  That was in turn used for start of Quicken Mobile.
    There is also quite a bit of "overlap" in the fact the Quicken and QuickBooks are still using the same system to access financial institutions.

But that is about it.

Nothing else is "shared".  Not the GUI, not the database, not the report system.  And in fact Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac don't even share these either.  They are completely different code bases.

People seem to think that because there is "soft" in the word software that you can easily change from one design to another.

Software has a foundation just like a building.  If you put in one for a single family home, you can't expect it to support a office building.

Quicken would have to be totally rewritten from scratch.  And if they did that what advantage would they have over say Intuit with Mint doing the same thing?

None, in fact they would have many disadvantages.

Maybe in time the "web/mobile app" will get more and more features and approach what you want.  But that will certainly be years in the making.  And one has to wonder if this was something the market really wanted, and it was that easy to do, why hasn't another company not done it?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

https://quickenbeta.centercode.com
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited August 2018

Renee & Gasport + anyone else interested, 

Please send me your Quicken ID to [email protected] and I will get you all set up. We actually aren't running the web beta through CenterCode (as directed above). 

Best, 
    Kelly 
    edited August 2018
    Robert II said:

I figured somebody had already asked, but I searched around and couldn't find any info on a quicken web interface.  Thanks

Hi Robert, 

I'm a little late to this thread; however, I wanted to let you know that we do currently have an online companion application that is in Beta and available to Quicken members (Quicken 2018).  If you are interested in participating in the beta program feel free to email me at [email protected].

Best, 
    Kelly 
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The OP gets their wish.

A new online web interface has just been implemented in Quicken Win 14.21. Here are the release notes:

New: Quicken Desktop’s key features now available for all members from any computer via the web!

• View balances, budgets, accounts, and transactions
    • See spending trends by category, payee, and more
    • Your accounts sync across desktop, web, and mobile
    • Enjoy a fresh, streamlined Quicken experience
    • Just sync your accounts and go to app.quicken.com

The web interface is accessed at:
    https://app.quicken.com/

I checked this out this morning when I updated to 14.21. To me, it looks really good! I compared the account balances and transactions between the desktop app, the mobile app and the web interface, and they are all spot on accurate, and agree with each other.
    The data presented on the web interface seems to be the same as what is contained in the mobile app.
    I don't use budgets, so I can't comment on that feature. It would be nice if they could eventually roll bills and income into the mobile and web interfaces.
    I think this will be a handy interface. There are times when the mobile app is inconvenient to use, and if I have access to a PC, I would rather use a web interface.
    I give this a solid thumbs up :-)

Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    edited October 2018
    I have been beta testing for a couple months and the issues I found making me NOT return to it is that once I reconciled on the desktop and then viewed in the web and then returned to the desktop, the previously reconciled items needed to be reconciled again. I reported it and they found an issue but last I checked, it was still an issue.

Also, I hated that the register was in reverse order and when you changed the view, it didn’t stay that way for the next time you returned. Again, I haven’t been back in the web version for about a month so I don’t know if these issues were fixed.
    edited October 2018

I have been beta testing for a couple months and the issues I found making me NOT return to it is that once I reconciled on the desktop and then viewed in the web and then returned to the desktop, the previously reconciled items needed to be reconciled again. I reported it and they found an issue but last I checked, it was still an issue.

Also, I hated that the register was in reverse order and when you changed the view, it didn’t stay that way for the next time you returned. Again, I haven’t been back in the web version for about a month so I don’t know if these issues were fixed.

I just got the update, and I haven't reconciled any accounts yet. But I'll check that out when I do.

Correct, it seems that the register does not retain changes to the date sort order after logging out. I normally have the most recent transactions on the bottom of my desktop register. But looking at the web app, I think I can live with most recent being on the top, at least for now. It would be nice if they could fix that, but it is not a big enough issue to preclude me from using it.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Now that it is public I can talk about this (I also saw this in beta, but after I made any of my comments above).

It is basically exactly what I expected a web interface on the same "cloud data" as the "Quicken Mobile".  So it is exactly what the OP requested, but far short of the people that want a full version of Quicken where the data is entirely on a server/cloud data account.

And frankly I'm pleasantly surprised that the GUI is actually pretty nice.

I'm not going to be using it because I don't trust the sync not to trash my data file, but for the people what willing to take that risk and need something "remote access" it should be a nice addition.  It will be interesting to see which is more prefered, the web or the mobile app version.

I think over time it will get more and more features.  But that will take quite a long time if Quicken Mac's rewrite is any indication.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Roger M said:

The OP gets their wish.

A new online web interface has just been implemented in Quicken Win 14.21. Here are the release notes:

New: Quicken Desktop’s key features now available for all members from any computer via the web!

I checked this out this morning when I updated to 14.21. To me, it looks really good! I compared the account balances and transactions between the desktop app, the mobile app and the web interface, and they are all spot on accurate, and agree with each other.
    The data presented on the web interface seems to be the same as what is contained in the mobile app.
    I don't use budgets, so I can't comment on that feature. It would be nice if they could eventually roll bills and income into the mobile and web interfaces.
    I think this will be a handy interface. There are times when the mobile app is inconvenient to use, and if I have access to a PC, I would rather use a web interface.

BTW on the budget.  I see that they have laid the groundwork for more functionality, but haven't yet had time to get it there, in the sense that it looks like starting about a month or two ago with the big rewrite of Quicken Mobile it syncs all the budgets.  But neither Quicken Mobile or Quicken Web yet have a way to select which budget to use.  The result is that the last budget used in Quicken Desktop is used.

BTW above I said I didn't think that most people would prefer Quicken Mobile over a Quicken Web, but that is before I used it, and realized that one advantage Quicken Web has is "screen space".  I didn't try accessing Quicken Web on a mobile device, but on my computer you have the same kind of space you would for Quicken Desktop, and as such it might actually be the prefered interface for people that are away from home for longer periods of time.  Then again if it was me, I would probably just run Quicken Desktop on laptop when away from home for a long period of time.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Roger M said:

The OP gets their wish.

I just logged into Quicken Web with my phone to see what it was like.  And lets just say it works just enough to make it frustrating that there are parts that make it unusable.

Then again, I never saw any indication that Quicken Inc had intended Quicken Web to be "small screen mobile device" compatible.  I just thought I would try it and see what it did.

At least at this point I think for phones Quicken Mobile app would be the better choice.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just started playing around with QWeb. An immediate shortfall, from my perspective is this:
    • Only these Quicken accounts can be synced with your mobile device
      and used for alerts —checking, savings, cash, investing and credit card. Foreign
      currency (non-U.S. Dollar) accounts cannot be used with Quicken for mobile at
      this time.

• Note: For investing accounts, only the
      accounts and their balances are synced. Transactions are not synced as of
      now.
    Meaning the "Property and Debt" accounts can't be synched.  So, the Web App is seriously deficient in showing MY net worth ... and probably that of most others.

I rarely input investment transactions manually.  I download them from my brokerage ... so that's not as big a concern for me ... but no 'Property & Debt" IS significant.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    edited October 2018

I just started playing around with QWeb. An immediate shortfall, from my perspective is this:

and used for alerts —checking, savings, cash, investing and credit card. Foreign
      this time.

now.
    Meaning the "Property and Debt" accounts can't be synched.  So, the Web App is seriously deficient in showing MY net worth ... and probably that of most others.

I rarely input investment transactions manually.  I download them from my brokerage ... so that's not as big a concern for me ... but no 'Property & Debt" IS significant.
    This is the same as with the mobile app. Agreed that the inclusion of Prop & debt accounts would be helpful.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

this time.

now.

And of course the people using Home & Business want their account types supported.  And don't leave out the people that have accounts in different currencies.
    Not to mention different reports, and lots of other major features, and then sub features, ...

My real point is just what I said months ago, people that believed that they were going to get full Quicken functionality aren't going to be happy with what this supports.

That kind of support would/will take years development.  And of course different people will disagree at what should be done first.

If you follow any of the Mac rewrite/requests for features you see what is really involved it that kind of task.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

this time.

now.

Even just importing the "accounts and their balances" (as they do for investing accounts) for Property and Debt accounts would work for me.

My P&D accounts have relatively few transactions, averaging about 1 per month across 12 accounts, that I really don't need to see the transactions online.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

this time.

now.

BTW I was trying to remember what someone wanted in mobile from Home & Business, and I just remembered it.  They wanted invoices.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is now implemented, as a parallel to Quicken Mobile functionality, but for use via browsers.

If you are interested in a full version of Quicken for Mobile, or a full version Quicken for Web, add you vote to the appropriate links below.
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
This discussion has been closed.