Can't Locate Uncategorized Transaction

I am also having the same issue of one categorized transaction showing in the "Home/Main View" screen. I am OCD about keeping my transactions ALL categorized, so I went searching for the one un-categorized transaction, NOT THERE! I searched ever date I have all the way back to 2009, there was NOTHING un-categorized. WHY??????imageimage
Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: uncategorized transactions.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bob, you should start a new post for your issue as it is not the same issue being discussed on this 2 year old thread.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffreyRadbillGeoffreyRadbill Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    So, I just accepted the most current update today and upon completion, Quicken showed that I had about 8 uncategorized transaction.  Funny that it would happen as before the update I had zero.  Next, I enter the category for each and they all disappeared as uncategorized.  EXCEPT - Quicken now shows that I have one remaining uncategorized transaction.  AND - when I click on that transaction, Quicken takes me to a register of no further uncategorized transactions.  What's happening Quicken?  
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Bob,
    please change the 3rd filter selection from "Spending without taxes" to "Spending". This might show the uncategorized transaction. Also try selecting "Income", just for grins.
    Do a Report on Itemized Categories. It should also show uncategorized transactions.
  • James ThomasJames Thomas Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Patch.

Updated Q18 Deluxe to R.34.10 patch hoping it would solve the one step update problems with my banks and credit union. But is did not, and added an alert on the home page that I have 3 uncategorized entries. However, it does not show the transactions so I can correct them as it did in the past.
  • LarryLarry Member
    edited July 2018
    The bogus ghost uncategorized transaction  is still an issue in today's patch/build 27.1.10.11 for Windows 2018 R10.11.  I have no uncategorized transactions. I created one and it actually shows up, then created another and it shows the two.  Then I categorized them and they go away but the ghost returns.    
  • ZachZach Member
    edited July 2018
    10.11 is still broken. It needs to be pulled from the servers so we can reinstall and get back to 9.34
  • James ThomasJames Thomas Member
    edited July 2018
    Uncategorized items showed up w/R10 patch. R11 still showing 3 items. Can't find them.....
  • ZachZach Member
    edited July 2018
    I've contacted support via chat and told them there are still problems with 10.11. Not sure I really got through to them, but hopefully they'll pass it along and pull this update so we can revert to 9.34
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    In my experience, you can observe the above described behaviour if you have a split transaction with a portion of the split being uncategorized. I have a situation where I have a scheduled bill reminder and if the actual bill amount is not exactly the amount in the reminder, Quicken put the difference into an uncategorized category line within the split (category) dialogue box. When this happens, I know where to look for it because the issue reoccurs each month. This might explain why others are seeing uncategorized transactions or others might have different root causes of their uncategorized transactions. The key point is, in my experience, uncategorized transactions can be difficult to find when they result from Quicken creating an uncategorized line within the split transaction dialogue box... this doesn't show up easily in the register. I believe that the situation that I have described is unspecific to a release of any particular release of Q.
  • Brent DBrent D Member
    edited July 2018
    I too have recently started having this issue.  Home page shows 4 uncategorized transactions, but there are none.  I've validated all the split transactions are completely categorized as well.  I'm using R10.11, but it may have started prior.  
  • edited October 2018
    . The latest version 10.11 (Windows for Home, Business and Rental Property).On the Home tab/my money it is now showing that I have 27 uncategorized transactions. Before the new version, I had none. When I click on the box with the message, a page appears with the circle graph and a list of transactions, all of which are categorized! I have never experienced this before.
    Sometimes when I download transactions the little flag does not appear next to accounts that have activity.
    I get more error messages than ever before which result in the software closing down.
    I have often recommended Quicken to family and friends but I have held back recently.
  • John AdamsJohn Adams Member
    edited September 2018
    Quicken Katherine - I'm the one who complained several weeks ago that with the release of R10.10 my subscription 2018 was showing over 57 transactions as uncategorized.  Clicking on the uncategorized link these would show for a fraction of a second - not sufficient time to read.  In fact they did not exist.  I reverted back to 9.34 which eliminated this problem.  I'm now running 10.11 on two other computers as a test using the same data file.  One computer shows 15 uncategorized and the other computer shows only 2 uncategorized transactions (same data file).  You might remember that you had me upload a sanitized version of my data file - to which you reported the file was highly corrupt and I needed to rebuild my data file.  Subsequently went to Quicken chat - they requested a copy of the file and saw nothing wrong with it.  The only bugaboo is the indication of uncategorized transactions beginning with R10.10 but otherwise the data file and program works fine for all of my included accounts.  I'm wondering if since casting me off to rebuild my data file Quicken has come up with a fix - or am I the only person complaining about the uncategorized transaction problem?  I did initiate a data file rebuild but so many of the accounts were inaccurate - I quickly discarded it.
    • edited October 2018

Quicken Katherine - I'm the one who complained several weeks ago that with the release of R10.10 my subscription 2018 was showing over 57 transactions as uncategorized.  Clicking on the uncategorized link these would show for a fraction of a second - not sufficient time to read.  In fact they did not exist.  I reverted back to 9.34 which eliminated this problem.  I'm now running 10.11 on two other computers as a test using the same data file.  One computer shows 15 uncategorized and the other computer shows only 2 uncategorized transactions (same data file).  You might remember that you had me upload a sanitized version of my data file - to which you reported the file was highly corrupt and I needed to rebuild my data file.  Subsequently went to Quicken chat - they requested a copy of the file and saw nothing wrong with it.  The only bugaboo is the indication of uncategorized transactions beginning with R10.10 but otherwise the data file and program works fine for all of my included accounts.  I'm wondering if since casting me off to rebuild my data file Quicken has come up with a fix - or am I the only person complaining about the uncategorized transaction problem?  I did initiate a data file rebuild but so many of the accounts were inaccurate - I quickly discarded it.

i am having the same issue.  how do you revert to an older version?
        edited October 2018

I believe there is a mundo patch that will revert to 9.34.  When I first encountered the problem probably a month ago I deleted Quicken 10.10 and 9.34 was still available for download.   I'm sticking with 9.34 as my data file runs great with no problems.  I am monitoring updates on two other computers to see if the uncategorized problem disappears.  This despite Quicken Katherine's indication that the fault is with my data file.
        • edited October 2018

it's definitely a bug
            edited October 2018

Cannot tell you the hours spent trying to rectify.  major frustration is Quicken Katherine advising problem is with my data file - according to her it's corrupted.  Meantime I'm running same data file on three computers running 9.34 and 10.11 on the other two.  Uncategorized errors on 9.34, none. second computer 10.11 - fifteen uncatgorized, third computer ruining 10.11 two uncategorized.  Will Quicken blame it on the computers?
            • edited August 2018

I have data going back to 1994 and the file is getting quite large (138 mb).

I cannot seem to find the 9.34 version file online.  Would be nice if Quicken could provide it to see if my problem also goes away.
              • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
                edited August 2018

Antonio,
                  a 2018 Release 9.34 Mondo patch file is available for download here:
                  http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Download, save to disk and then install.
                  You may have to restore your Quicken data file from a pre-10.11 backup.

Looking at https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows 

I just noticed that the new R 11.18 update Mondo file is available again (subject to change without notice).
                  I have no idea if that will fix your problems or if it will make the hole deeper ...
                • edited January 11
                  Thanks, I was able revert to version 9.34 with the patch and my issue with bogus uncategorized transactions went away.
                • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
                  edited August 2018

Thanks, I was able revert to version 9.34 with the patch and my issue with bogus uncategorized transactions went away.

Thanks for letting us know, Antonio.
                  If you aren't doing so already, create backups of your Quicken data file every time you close Quicken. One can never have enough backups.
                  You may also want to do this:

Validate your
                  Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
                  crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
                  eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
                  procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
                  your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
                  file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
                  record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
                  This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)

- Open the copied
                  file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
                  Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
                  "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
                  validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
                  problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
                  logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
                  Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
                  next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
                  Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
                  being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
                  restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
                  works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• edited October 2018

Thanks for the info.  I ran a validation and supervalidation.  Everything works great on version 9.34, but upgrading to the current 11.18 version causes the erroneous uncategorized transaction error (62 of them that appear, then disappear) to rear its ugly head again.  I reverted back to version  9.34.  There is definitely a bug with the new version.
                • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭
                  edited September 2018
                  I'm back on 9.34, since 10.11 and 11.18 have problems with the mobile app (duplication of transactions).
                  I make a point of saving all the Mondo patches, and it makes life easier. Memory is cheap.
                  Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
                  edited August 2018

I'm wondering why Quicken Katherine told me my data file was corrupt when it runs just fine on 9.34?  Actually she did explain that upgrades will reveal existing corruption.  I've spent countless hours trying to remedy this annoying uncategorized transaction error.  When I first reported the error it seemed that I was the only one having this problem.
                  edited August 2018

Thanks for the info - I downloaded and installed the R11.18 update Mondo file however the "ghost uncategorized transactions" still show on the Home page.  Clicking on them reveals nothing.  Appreciate your effort however.
                  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
                    edited August 2018

Have any of you with this issue run a Banking Transactions report and customized it for Include All Dates and only Not Categorized to try to identify the transactions?
                    edited August 2018

Thank you - I have and have 50 or more not categorized split transactions relating to mortgage payments  for an account that I should not have deleted - but stupidly did so many years ago.  However fixing these did not resolve the ghost uncategorized transactions that appeared commencing with Quicken update R10.10 and continue through R11.18.
                  • NorbertNorbert Member
                    edited November 2018
                    I had one Uncategorized Transaction after a recent Quicken update.  Reports -> Spending -> Itemized Categories pointed to an investment account where I had recored income as Miscellaneous, but not included a category.  
                  • KCMKCM Member
                    edited September 2018
                    Check your investment accounts for stray, uncategorized items among downloaded transactions. Intra-account transfers between account types, such as transfers between "cash" and "margin" sub-accounts, may post without categorization. Interest income and interest expense items may also post without a category assignment. 
                  • KCMKCM Member
                    edited November 2018
                    Check your investment accounts for stray, uncategorized items among downloaded transactions. Intra-account transfers between account types, such as transfers between "cash" and "margin" sub-accounts, may post without categorization. Interest income and interest expense items may also post without a category assignment. 
                    edited October 2018
                    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled With update today - It shows have uncategorized transactions - not ture.

Downloaded update this morning, July 10, 2018.  On Home page it shows I have 12 uncategorized transactions.  Clicking on the bar or link it takes me to a page that says I have zero uncategoried transaction which is correct.  Why is it show uncategorized transaction whith the latest update?  I have the latest 2018 Quicken version for Windows.  I'm running Windows 10
                  This discussion has been closed.