Home Inventory, Address Book and Emergency Records modernization

Leo GabryelskiLeo Gabryelski Member
It seems that the Home Inventory, Address Book and Emergency Records features have been treated as afterthoughts, but I think they could and should be updated and better integrated into the program. For example, it would be great to have the home inventory interface upgraded and modernized (it currently looks like Windows 95-98 vintage) and tied to an asset account. 
2 votes

Not Planned · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

" ... it would be great to have the home inventory ... tied to an asset account".

The ability to have your home inventory tied to a Quicken asset account is already present (to my knowledge, it's always been there).

With Home Inventory (QHI.EXE) running: File > Update Quicken, will update the balance of the Quicken Asset account, "Home Inventory" (creating the account, if necessary).

And I don't think the features you refer to are treated as "afterthoughts" by Quicken. I think they're treated as features whose modernization would not be cost effective. Something like: "too much work, for too little gain".
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Leo GabryelskiLeo Gabryelski Member
    edited July 2018
    My hope is that perhaps the new owners of Quicken will see potential value in these features and update them accordingly. I see that you are correct about the Home Inventory being tied to an asset account, which is great, but why not have the ability to upload photos and receipts, which are generally required in the case of an insurance claim, into the Home Inventory, eliminating the need to search elsewhere for the receipt? The interface could also be easily updated instead of harking back to Windows 95 and 800x600 resolution.

Intuit dropped the ball and left a lot of things hanging out to dry. The new ownership has an opportunity to shine by recognizing that and correcting past oversights, making the entire package an enjoyable, seamless user experience.
  • Charles HadlockCharles Hadlock Member ✭✭
    edited January 25
    I know the Quicken team has its hands full keeping the main program running smoothly, but I would love to see an update to the Home Inventory Manager.  It was once a stand-alone program until, more than a decade ago, it was awkwardly added to the main program -- hidden, really --  in a sub menu.  It's never listed or promoted as a feature.  Maybe that's because it's very dated. (One of the categories is Video Tapes).  I've been reluctant to start using it again because the file format (.qhi) is proprietary and the feature could disappear at any time.  Quicken, please show us you still support Home Inventory Manager.  Thx.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Home Inventory Manager.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    There are many better stand alone inventory programs that will allow you to do more than the Home Inventory Manager did.  I use one of these programs and just take the total value from that inventory program and put in in Quicken in an asset account and I update it as needed.

I just tried to set Quicken to use "classic" menus and I do not see Home Inventory Manager there anymore so I would think the feature is already on its way out.  I checked the "Help" listing in Quicken and while it says it is still there in my version (Q2018 Premier v11.18 with Windows 10 64bit) it is gone. 
  • Don108Don108 Member
    edited December 2018
    Home Inventory Manager is still available in the latest version of Quicken.  You can find it on the tool bar. 
    edited August 2018
    Don said:

Home Inventory Manager is still available in the latest version of Quicken.  You can find it on the tool bar. 

What version are you using because Home Inventory Manager is nowhere to be found in my version and is not found on the tool bar either.  It was there a couple of versions ago but is now gone.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There are 2 different inventory programs.  This is for the embedded Home Inventory.  Not the separate Home Inventory Manager which was discontinued years ago.  If you have the .idb file that is the embedded one 

How to install Home Inventory & Emergency Records Organizer
    https://www.quicken.com/support/installing-quicken-home-inventory-and-emergency-records-organizer 

Home Inventory data missing after converting to new version
    http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/account-transaction-issues/home-inventory-data-gone-after-con... 

You have to first install the Inventory program so you have to find the install file and double click on it. The install file is QuickenHomeInventory.exe (and you should also have  EmergencyRecordsOrganizer.exe).

edited August 2018
    volvogirl said:

There are 2 different inventory programs.  This is for the embedded Home Inventory.  Not the separate Home Inventory Manager which was discontinued years ago.  If you have the .idb file that is the embedded one 

https://www.quicken.com/support/installing-quicken-home-inventory-and-emergency-records-organizer 

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/account-transaction-issues/home-inventory-data-gone-after-con... 

You have to first install the Inventory program so you have to find the install file and double click on it. The install file is QuickenHomeInventory.exe (and you should also have  EmergencyRecordsOrganizer.exe).

Thanks for the clarification I had the separate program.  I still would rather have a separate home inventory manager than one within Quicken.  If it gets "broken" you will never now when or if it will be fixed.
  • Charles HadlockCharles Hadlock Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    When I close Home Inventory within Quicken, it asks if I want to save the file to a floppy disk. Quaint. It’s almost 2019 already.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    volvogirl said:

Actually I use the embedded one completely separate from Quicken.   I don't use it inside Quicken or integrate it.  I have a desktop icon for it and use it by itself.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The history on this is that the code was long since abandoned, and to bring it up to date would require a total rewrite.  And it probably would have been totally abandoned if it wasn't for the fact that the long time users griped about it."  That is why it is hidden in the way it is.

BTW talk about "quaint".  No one seems to have been able to come up with a better icon for saving a file than this one.

Everyone knows that it means to save a file, but I doubt most kids have clue at what it represents.
  • lbeaumontlbeaumont Member
    edited December 2018
    I would also like to see the Home Inventory feature refreshed. It would be helpful if I could record the model number, serial number, and manufacturer's website for major electronic equipment such as a TV, computer, audio gear and even my smartphone. A notes field that could be used to record maintenance activities or usage notes would also be helpful. Linking to the purchase transaction record in Quicken would provide quick access to purchase records. Linking from the purchase transaction record could simply creating home inventory records.
  • JHKJHK Member
    edited December 2018
    Snowman said:

There are many better stand alone inventory programs that will allow you to do more than the Home Inventory Manager did.  I use one of these programs and just take the total value from that inventory program and put in in Quicken in an asset account and I update it as needed.

I just tried to set Quicken to use "classic" menus and I do not see Home Inventory Manager there anymore so I would think the feature is already on its way out.  I checked the "Help" listing in Quicken and while it says it is still there in my version (Q2018 Premier v11.18 with Windows 10 64bit) it is gone. 

I have used QHI from its inception but am now having problems.  Can you recommend an alternative program.  I would like to upload data from my *.qhi to a stand alone inventory program.
  • JHKJHK Member
    edited December 2018
    volvogirl said:

I am interested in a stand-alone of this program.  Do you have a source.?
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Snowman said:

See if anything in this post helps.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-home-inventory-shuts-down-when-detail-vi...

Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • MikeMike Member
    edited January 16
    Add the ability to attach a file to Emergency Records Organizer.  Quicken really has so little to offer these days.  It sort of hurts to have to pay for the subscription and receive nothing in return.  Adding the ability to save scanned documents to Emergency Records Organizer would be a very nice feature -- and it would make me feel that I was actually getting something for my renewal of the software.