Quicken Freezing in OSU for new update R10.11

JamesJames Member
New Update R10.11 freezes in OSU   Must Force closure with CTRL-ALT-DEL

Comments

• Rick EtterRick Etter Member
    edited July 2018
    James as I've posted prior after you run the update and it appears to be frozen, just be patient and wait....I waited three hours for it to complete. If you watch task manager and see it states Quicken Not Responding but the CPU will bounce from 0%-50%. It will finally complete the update and return to normal. Just be patient. I know we're never had to do this before but for some reason R10.11 takes much much longer to finalize. Run the update, go get a beer or burger or take a walk and come back. I promise it'll work.
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited July 2018
    James, Rick is correct. It seems that this Version implements an initial step to reorganize your Cloud structure to better handle the processes of the new Mobile App and the reimplementation of the Budget Section in the App.

The wait time for the syncing varies from user to user. For me, it took around four minutes; for Rick- three hours. During that time you might run Task Manager to see the fluctuations of CPU % from Not responding  at 0 to as high as 30 to 60 %. All subsequent OSUs should return back to their normal syncing times.

You might be interested to read of other users experiences in this Thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/r10-11.
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • JamesJames Member
    edited July 2018
    Somehow I'm not comfortable with this status.  Worked fine in the last version.  Also found that if I use Task Manager to clear the program all the downloads are lost despite the red flag showing.  My work around is to update each account SEPARATELY.  Normally I am doing my update in the morning and cannot wait 4 minutes to 3 hours to finish as my Employer expects me at work.  I do not use the Cloud as I don't have quicken on my phone.  Freezing seems to happen during Bill updates.  Assuming Quicken will fix this in a new update.  Would be nice that they acknowledge the issue.
  • JamesJames Member
    edited August 2018
    Checked out the link and tried to send files to Quicken which would not complete.  Edited OSU settings to remove all online updated Investing, Billing etc.  OSU works fine with that workaround.  I'll just manually update the bills for now.  Waiting for R10.12!
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited July 2018
    James said:

Checked out the link and tried to send files to Quicken which would not complete.  Edited OSU settings to remove all online updated Investing, Billing etc.  OSU works fine with that workaround.  I'll just manually update the bills for now.  Waiting for R10.12!

I hear you!! (grin)

The only confirmation I received that it might be the affect of the Updating of the Cloud Function Only was a "Like"  marking from Quicken Sarah on my suggestion in the other Thread that the cause might be just the Syncing to the Cloud  Function of the Program. 

I was going to suggest going to your OSU Settings and just erasing the checkmark on the Sync to Quicken Cloud  Entry and Apply the change. Then, with leaving all the other Entries check-marked. see how the OSU runs.

Isn't it marvelous to be a beta tester for the Development Team!! (grin)
  • JamesJames Member
    edited July 2018
    James said:

Quicken is a complicated software and I understand that sometimes unintended consequences occur.  Just need to be able to figure out how to make it work until Quicken makes it work!
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited July 2018
    James said:

Agreed!!
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2018
    James said:

Hi @James and @Jerry,

The R10.11 update does indeed bring back the ability to sync budget data to the Mobile App.  After installing this update, the first initial sync with the Cloud is taking longer than normally expected to complete due to the large amount of information being synced from the budget data.

Most Users experiencing this "freeze" have reported that if the sync is left to run uninterrupted, it will eventually complete, depending on how much data there is to sync, these reports have ranged from the 5 minutes up to 3 hours as mentioned by Jerry earlier.

I hope this information helps to explain what is happening and why it appears that Quicken is frozen but please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns we can answer on this.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited July 2018
    James said:

Sarah, thanks for the information.

Awaiting the revision of the Mobile App to see the Budget Block or Section.

• JamesJames Member
    edited August 2018
    James said:

Just getting back to this.  I deleted all online services as I do not use mobile.  No more freezing but Bills do not refresh.  Seems the problem has not been resolved.  I'll keep trying to refresh bills for a month and see if it finally completes.
  • edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled The latest "patch" (Release # R10.11) STILL causes freezes.

The patch released on July 17, 2018 for my Quicken Premier (Release R10.11) has NOT resolved the freezing issue when using one-step update.  It updates some of my accounts but causes the entire program to "not respond" before completing the chore.
  • EricEric Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled One Step Update Crashes Q2018 R10.11.

I continue to lock up during OSU.  Reinstalled application, updated to R10.11, validated the data file.  NO resolution!  

Any ideas?
  • edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

I have let it run for numerous minutes with no success. The application simply stops responding according to device manager. I have to force restart at that juncture. Device manager says "Not Responding". Are you suggesting to simply ignore and wait?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Still Freezes after R10.11 when syncing. It freezes on the Processing Data scree....
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

I have let it run for numerous minutes with no success. The application simply stops responding according to device manager. I have to force restart at that juncture. Device manager says "Not Responding". Are you suggesting to simply ignore and wait?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Still Freezes after R10.11 when syncing. It freezes on the Processing Data scree....

Only if you can afford to do so for anywhere from 4 or 5 minutes up to 3 hours!! (grin)
  • dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018

Mine has been at it for 4 hours now. There doesn't seem to be any disk activity at all per task manager. CPU usage bounces around 14-16%.

It would be nice if we had a heads up from Quicken about this.
  • dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018

Update: I gave up after it ran all night, on both the laptop and desktop.
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

The Mondo Patch is out now for Q2018 R11.18. You might want to download the US Mondo Patch Update to see if it will improve your situation. You will find it here: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows.

• dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018

I use Q 2017. The update is current but I've never downloaded a Mondo patch. How is that different?
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

Here is an explanation that I found that can best describe the workings and meaning of a Mondo Patch. See this link here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/what-does-mondo-mean-as-in-mondo-patch?topic-rep....

Also you might want to reference this page from time to time showing the Mondo Patches for Q2017: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch.

• dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018

Thanks anyway, Jerry, but it didn't help. OSU still updates for hours, non responsive.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser
    edited August 2018

Hi @ dmhump1 ,

Instead of entering your Vault Password, then clicking Update Now, click Settings.

Uncheck everything having to do with Online Bills. Now click Update Now and see what happens.

I have no Online Bills Setup. I just update my Bank Registers and have no problems with R 10.11.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

dmhump1, I was going to mention along the same lines of going to your Settings  Window (One Step Update Settings) and uncheck-mark the entry of sync to Quicken Cloud in the Online Service Section.

OR as thecreator mentions uncheck-mark the Update Bills entry. Come to think about it, uncheck-mark all entries found in the Online Service Section. on the One Step Update Settings. 

thecreator  let's keep our fingers crossed. (grin) dmhump1 is running Q2017.

• Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

dmhump1, I was going to mention along the same lines of going to your Settings  Window (One Step Update Settings) and uncheck-mark the entry of sync to Quicken Cloud in the Online Service Section.

OR as thecreator mentions uncheck-mark the Update Bills entry. Come to think about it, uncheck-mark all entries found in the Online Service Section. on the One Step Update Settings. 

thecreator  let's keep our fingers crossed. (grin) dmhump1 is running Q2017.

• dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018

Thanks. Unchecking the "sync to cloud" box removed whatever was blocking the update from completing the "download quotes & investment information" process, and I no longer have to manually shut down Q17 from task manager.

Unfortunately I can't sync my data to cloud via the Mobile & Alerts tab either, which renders the mobile app pretty useless.

I do see a "reset your cloud data" option, which seems to wipe the data that's in the cloud and replace it with a fresh upload. I'm going to try that next and will report what happens.
  • dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018

Well, that was a big bust. The "reset" option froze just like the OSU process, except that task manager didn't indicate "not responsive." I gave up after 8 hours of spinning circles before force-closing the whole thing.

I guess next up is customer support (after that I'll climb Everest). The mobile app is important to me and unless you can sync to it, what's the point?
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

Well, maybe you will be more successful in climbing Mt. Everest! (grin)

I have been viewing the problems with Q2017 in this Thread that you might be interested in viewing:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2017-r17-1-windows-crashing-when-enterin...

I imagine that the trouble in syncing and using the Mobile App comes about from the work of the Development Team in trying to implement budgeting in the New App. Quicken is probably still in the staged release of it.

• Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018

Well, maybe you will be more successful in climbing Mt. Everest! (grin)

I have been viewing the problems with Q2017 in this Thread that you might be interested in viewing:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2017-r17-1-windows-crashing-when-enterin...

I imagine that the trouble in syncing and using the Mobile App comes about from the work of the Development Team in trying to implement budgeting in the New App. Quicken is probably still in the staged release of it.

• Jerry_Jerry_ Member
    edited August 2018
    AND I am getting tired of this Site's inability to process duplicate messages!!

• dmhump1dmhump1 Member
    edited August 2018
    I suspect you're right about this being related to the app budgeting update. I just wish Q would be a little more transparent about these things. A simple notification that this capability might be wonky for a while would save us all some time and trouble. (And we know they can do notifications -- I get about 3 a week asking me to buy the new version.)
  • Billy RoseBilly Rose Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken freezing when downloading accounts and attempting to sync with cloud.

Will download bank accounts, but freezes when it attempts to sync with quicken cloud. Must then use Task Manager to close a non responding quicken and then reopen. This issue has occurred in Quicken 2017 since the last update.