Serious problem with update to 11.16 deleting transactions

John FJohn F Member

One Step Update in R11.16 (Build 27.1.11.16) deleted financial transaction from Investing section and its linked deposit in my Banking section! Absolutely flabbergasted me. What happened to QA (Quality Assurance) testing these updates??? I will try restoring my saved Backup on my laptop where R10.11 is still working.

I attempted to apply Mondo Patch (QW27.1.10.11MPatch.EXE) in hopes of rolling back to R10.11 and patch failed (Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load. Could not parse the URL "Fauske\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol). What is going on here?

I suspect you are (your Patch process is) NOT properly parsing for non-standard user name in string:
[C:\Users\John A. Fauske\AppData\Local\temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys]
this path and file exist!

Comments

• gmk3gmk3 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I had a similar issue this week with 11.16 and was successfully able to revert using the R10.11 mondo patch.  Unfortunately, some time ago, I also experienced the problem you saw with the mondo patch when attempting to run the patch on my older laptop.  Apparently, it is unable to handle a space in the userid part of the directory structure.  The resolution I was given by the support team was to re-create the user account without the space (and I would assume without the "." also).  It was a lengthy, time consuming task involving moving files and reinstalling software.  It was not fun.  I have not had a problem with the mondo patch since, though.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I just noticed that I was missing 2 of my most recent monthly sweep account dividend payments, which are entered as transfers from my investment account to the linked checking account. These had been entered properly in 10.11, but were deleted by 11.16.
    I have since rolled back to 10.11, and re-entered the missing transactions.
    Fortunately, I didn't have any other investment activity during that time frame.

Now, normally, I am a strong advocate of Quicken's efforts and give them the benefit of the doubt in most instances. Up to this point, I had always felt that they were doing a decent job with Q 2018. However, the problems associated with these most recent updates are totally inexcusable. Quicken, please get your act together!
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    John F:

As of right now, they pulled the 11.16 patch so if you un-install Quicken and the re-install you will get the last patch before 11.16 which should be 10.11

PS: There was a bug in 11.6 with mobile SYNC trying to delete transactions with transfers so I would definitely not allow SYNC until you are on an older or newer release
  • John FJohn F Member
    edited September 2018
    Thank you gmk3,
    for sharing your solution to the mondo patch failure. I have been using Quicken for many years on this Windows 7 Pro machine that I built in 2009 with my "non-standard" user account name. I have not experienced such failures with all the previous Quicken versions I've migrated through, nor the many versions of other brands of software (Adobe, Microsoft, HP, Canon, Epson, BlackBerry, Samsung, etc. to name just a few!) I've installed/uninstalled/updated over the years. (Rant Redacted)
     I will constrain my use of Quicken 2018 to my two Windows 10 machines (desktop, laptop) that are still at R10.11 and carefully save each version of my Quicken data files. (Rant Redacted)
    The QA group needs some more complicated test cases to insure these errors get caught before update distribution. As with the mouse pointer snap-to failures reported elsewhere, the leaders/employees of Quicken could benefit from using (depending upon!) their product for all their daily financial transactions.
  • mtn_livingmtn_living Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I had same thing happen. The update auto installed Saturday morning. There were some small glitches with old transactions appearing as unreconciled and some other weirdness. I manually fixed that stuff and ran a validate. Today I realized that hundreds of transactions going all the way back to May of 2017 in my CMA cash account were categorized as [unspecified account]. When I used "go to matching transaction" I ended up in kind of a lost account title "Unspecified Account" with all the hundreds of transactions. I think most or all of these were cash dividends. I tried various combos of copying/moving, nothing worked. I called tech support who hung up the first time, couldn't understand me the second time and the third time finally got someone (Oscar) who said there was no record of 11.16 patch and that obviously I had done something wrong. He suggested "cant you just recategorize the transactions or re-enter them. When I tried to explain it was hundreds and hundreds of reconciled transactions he was zero help.

I too have been supportive of Quicken but they really messed up this time. I will never auto install patches again. I have started over, reinstalled Quicken Premier 2018 from their website, went to an August 1 backup and all looks good. Did a validate to make sure problem didn't reappear and it didn't which means it was the patch. About to redo a week's worth of work.....oh and reenter every frisking bank account and password. AARGH.

edited September 2018

I had same thing happen. The update auto installed Saturday morning. There were some small glitches with old transactions appearing as unreconciled and some other weirdness. I manually fixed that stuff and ran a validate. Today I realized that hundreds of transactions going all the way back to May of 2017 in my CMA cash account were categorized as [unspecified account]. When I used "go to matching transaction" I ended up in kind of a lost account title "Unspecified Account" with all the hundreds of transactions. I think most or all of these were cash dividends. I tried various combos of copying/moving, nothing worked. I called tech support who hung up the first time, couldn't understand me the second time and the third time finally got someone (Oscar) who said there was no record of 11.16 patch and that obviously I had done something wrong. He suggested "cant you just recategorize the transactions or re-enter them. When I tried to explain it was hundreds and hundreds of reconciled transactions he was zero help.

I too have been supportive of Quicken but they really messed up this time. I will never auto install patches again. I have started over, reinstalled Quicken Premier 2018 from their website, went to an August 1 backup and all looks good. Did a validate to make sure problem didn't reappear and it didn't which means it was the patch. About to redo a week's worth of work.....oh and reenter every frisking bank account and password. AARGH.

Wow. Then, I consider myself lucky that I only lost 3 transactions. They were investment account dividend payments, similar to what you reported.
    I now make it a point to configure Quicken to save a backup after each program shutdown, with up to 99 backups allowed. When the 99 are filled, I will copy them to an external HD and start over. 
    Edit >> Preferences >> Backups
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    edited September 2018

Good call on backups. I usually have a USB stick attached to my computer that I back up to every few days but was in midst of a move and hadn't been using it. The on computer backup from 8/1 saved me. Reinstalled Quicken, used backup file, resetup all online stuff and seems all good now.
  • John FJohn F Member
    edited September 2018
    gmk3 said:

I had a similar issue this week with 11.16 and was successfully able to revert using the R10.11 mondo patch.  Unfortunately, some time ago, I also experienced the problem you saw with the mondo patch when attempting to run the patch on my older laptop.  Apparently, it is unable to handle a space in the userid part of the directory structure.  The resolution I was given by the support team was to re-create the user account without the space (and I would assume without the "." also).  It was a lengthy, time consuming task involving moving files and reinstalling software.  It was not fun.  I have not had a problem with the mondo patch since, though.

gmk3, sharing your experience was appreciated. I'm a bit slow to get back with your post, but I've researched the "User Name" details further and found:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722458.aspx

User names cannot contain certain characters.
    Invalid characters include: " / \ [ ] : ; | = , + * ? < >

User names can contain all other special characters, including spaces, periods, dashes, and underscores. But it's generally not a good idea to use spaces in account names. On some non-Windows NT systems, such as UNIX, spaces aren't valid in user names and the user may have difficulty accessing these systems.

• cokercscokercs Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2018 Critical Alert regarding Transfers.

Received confirmation today of a forthcoming Quicken Critical Alert regarding transfers that are being removed or modified by Quicken.  Here were my underlying issues with Quicken and why I contacted their support.  The response was - development team is working this issue internally and the will be more communication on this in 2-3 days.

1. TRANSACTIONS DELETED/REMOVED BY QUICKEN
      A transaction was created on 8/25 in checking account to pay credit card. The transaction is now gone.  I confirmed the transaction existed by re-opening a backup of my Quicken file.  The transaction is in the back and not in my Quicken (current) file.

2. TRANSACTIONS MODIFIED BY QUICKEN
      Multiple transfers (10+) over 8+ months were made from checking to ABC credit card.
      Recently, the ABC credit card balance was off in Quicken, and I confirmed that the transfer account in the transactions was changed from ABS credit card to XYZ credit card. Unsure of what exactly happened, I changed the transfer account on the transactions back to ABC credit card.  Life was good until I re-opened Quicken. Once again, the transfer account on these same transactions was changed back to the XYZ account.

From a personal perspective, I think this may have to do with the Mobile Synch.  Not yet confirmed.
    edited September 2018
    I had something happen ten minutes ago that seems tied into this: I was looking at my YTD budget report, there was a decent $ amt in uncategorized expenses. When I clicked through to detail found a credit card payment that was a transfer from checking to that credit card in April that had lost the category in the checking side of transaction. I balance/reconcile everything every month and credit cards in real time so I know this transaction was fine yesterday. I agree it smells like something to do with mobile sync. Little or none of my category assignments are making it to mobile which shows a lot of uncatehorized transactions. When I had the very bad and subsequently retracted mobile update it wholesale stripped categories off hundreds of transfers.
  • cokercscokercs Member
    edited September 2018
    gmk3 said:

This issue is not just with investing accounts, but seems related any transaction that is a transfer. This happened with several of my transfer transactions from a checking account to credit card account.
  • Gary FortmanGary Fortman Member
    edited September 2018
    Anyone who updated to R11.16 (Build 27.1.11.16) I have ONE QUESTION, why? If everything was working BEFORE you updated, WHY did you update? If it was working before, why update? Unless you want to be a BETA TESTER, why update? I don't update for at least SIX MONTHS after an update is released. You don't need to be on the "latest and greatest" unless you want the problems.
  • John FJohn F Member
    edited September 2018
    Serious problem getting WORSE with update to 11.18!
    There are more transactions just disappearing, completely screwing up the balances.
    I attach two captures before and after a One Step Update.

Before a One Step Update:

After a One Step Update:
  • cokercscokercs Member
    edited September 2018
    Has this been resolved with the 12.15 release?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Anyone who updated to R11.16 (Build 27.1.11.16) I have ONE QUESTION, why? If everything was working BEFORE you updated, WHY did you update? If it was working before, why update? Unless you want to be a BETA TESTER, why update? I don't update for at least SIX MONTHS after an update is released. You don't need to be on the "latest and greatest" unless you want the problems.

And why are you still using mobile sync?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • John FJohn F Member
    edited September 2018
    cokercs, thank you for asking, but how could I possibly know?

I have been using Quicken and have thousands of transactions back to September 1998. I have never had a transaction disappear before the past two months.
    I never questioned the trustworthiness of the many iterations of Quicken under Intuit's many years of stewardship.

My confidence disappeared along with my transactions.

As I've mentioned (somewhere in another post), the reputation of a product and/or company is easily destroyed and difficult to "rebuild".

How many cycles of One Step Update with no errors will it take before I know I can trust Quicken to manage my financial accounts and keep my data secure?

Since no one from Quicken has acknowledged their error in programming and what circumstances triggered it to delete transactions, I cannot create a "test case" that might restore my confidence. Then again, that would be the job of a "Quality Assurance" team.

I have had many years of experience in programming and software configuration management. I used to spend considerable time observing users of the software I was responsible for while they used it with large and complex data sets. When errors showed up, the testing required before and after program versions running complex test cases to validate the "fix" worked and did not introduce any new errors.

I've suggested that Quicken employees (perhaps management too?) use their software product to maintain their own accounts. The inconvenience of the cursor jumping to the upper left corner might have been better appreciated and sooner.

Has anyone addressed the failure of the Mondo Patch (QW27.1.10.11MPatch.EXE) to work correctly with "valid" (according to the Microsoft link I provided above) user names?

For now, I've followed a number of suggestions to reset my "cloud data" and I no longer get "Quicken Mobile - Sync Now error" errors. (separate posting, similar timeframe)

Since the update to 12.15 was agressivily applied Wednesday, September 19, 2018 5:31 PM PDT, no more transactions have disappeared. Only 3-4 One Step Update cycles run so far. Not even two days? Seems a bit too soon to claim resolution, don't you think?

Perhaps you've received more reassurance from the responsible parties for these failures than I have.

• John FJohn F Member
    edited October 2018
    My caution was well founded!

One Step Update continues to DELETE transactions.

As with my previous example (above):
    1. the balances in the leftmost column are changed to prove the transactions are removed.
    2. the itemized section no longer shows the deleted transaction that was there immediately before the One Step Update.
    3. the Downloaded Transactions section, at the bottom, shows the downloaded version of the deleted transaction with the date different (presumably the date it cleared my bank) from the date I had entered manually.
    4. the transaction is also DELETED from the Bill and Income Reminders window, where it had just before shown with a Status of Paid and the correct manually entered date.
    5. when I chose Accept, the balances returned to having this amount present but the date did NOT get restored to the date I had entered manually. I have receipts for this transaction with my date, which obviously precedes the date downloaded from my bank.
    6. the transaction does NOT get restored to the Bill and Income Reminders window.

These are MY transactions. The details are for me to record.
    The download from my bank is for reconciling MY details/balances with those of my bank.

Why have the Quicken developers/programmers CHANGED the logic for how this One Step Update works?

• John FJohn F Member
    edited October 2018
    *** Report a problem to Quicken ***
    Friday, October 12, 2018 - 3:25 PM
    Bank download/ Transaction Errors
    Serious problem with One Step Update deleting transactions
    My caution remains well founded! One Step Update continues to DELETE transactions. As with multiple recent Quicken updates (now Year: 2019 - Version: R14.23 - Build: 27.1.14.23), I have captured screenshots of how OSU deletes manually entered transactions and replaces them with OSU downloaded versions (partly). Especially the date of the original transaction!
    Manually downloading (exporting) from my bank site and applying in Quicken does NOT do this!
    OSU changes: (Last download on date)
    Bank site Export/Import does NOT
    ======
    I've asked them to:
    Please contact me for my details (or explain why you have changed the concept/logic of "update" and why).
  • Mark RismanMark Risman Member
    edited October 2018
    I only discovered this issue today, as I ran a One Step Update earlier this week, and today I noticed many missing transactions, and many (or all?) of them are transfers and my checking-to-credit card transactions seem to be particularly affected (but only going back to about August; I didn't see anything missing before that)

In particular, first this evening I went to update something and saw that the balances of a few of my accounts were way off -- by thousands of dollars.

Uh oh!

Then I went to look for transactions that were missing and I found some, but noticed they showed up in Downloaded Transactions. Weird. Then I restored from backup, and found that all of my transactions were still there.

Relief.

So, I tried to fix the problem by running a report from the newest file missing the transactions, saving that, and planning to add at least what I could find there that was new, to the newly-restored file. But first I decided to do one-step-update, since restoring from backup meant that I had lost the downloaded transactions since then. So, then I go to manually make those entries and ... now missing transactions again.

Uh oh!

But at least I see what did it -- One step update

Relief!

But this really should be fixed. The issues I'm encountering seem to be in build 14.27 and possibly also 14.23 (I say that since I don't know the exact date I updated to 14.27)

John -- have you heard anything from support?

edited October 2018

I only discovered this issue today, as I ran a One Step Update earlier this week, and today I noticed many missing transactions, and many (or all?) of them are transfers and my checking-to-credit card transactions seem to be particularly affected (but only going back to about August; I didn't see anything missing before that)

In particular, first this evening I went to update something and saw that the balances of a few of my accounts were way off -- by thousands of dollars.

Uh oh!

Then I went to look for transactions that were missing and I found some, but noticed they showed up in Downloaded Transactions. Weird. Then I restored from backup, and found that all of my transactions were still there.

Relief.

So, I tried to fix the problem by running a report from the newest file missing the transactions, saving that, and planning to add at least what I could find there that was new, to the newly-restored file. But first I decided to do one-step-update, since restoring from backup meant that I had lost the downloaded transactions since then. So, then I go to manually make those entries and ... now missing transactions again.

Uh oh!

Relief!

But this really should be fixed. The issues I'm encountering seem to be in build 14.27 and possibly also 14.23 (I say that since I don't know the exact date I updated to 14.27)

Actually I've been digging into it more, and from what I am seeing, this doesn't seem to be caused by One Step Update.

When I restored my data, and then went to close Quicken and said "OK" to cloud sync, I lost my transactions again and had to restore again.

When I went to One Step Update, and changed the settings so that cloud sync is not included in the One Step Update (there's a checkbox for that), then ran the One Step Update, it ran but didn't delete any of my transactions.

Also note that for now I checked the checkbox which says "don't remind me"  in the close-Quicken popup dialog, which asks about Cloud Sync. So, at least for now, I won't accidentally click "OK" out of habit on that screen, and lose my data again.
  • John FJohn F Member
    edited October 2018
    Mark,
    I regret that I have NOT received any response from Support to my "Report a problem..." from the Help menu in Quicken (now Year: 2019 - Version: R14.27 - Build: 27.1.14.27). More than a week ago!

I have been going to my bank website and "Exporting" my transactions to Quicken manually from there for each of my accounts (Saving, Checking, and 2 Credit cards), then manually matching each of those downloaded transactions with my previously manually entered transactions using the "Downloaded Transactions" section at the bottom of the Quicken window. My previously entered transactions are NOT DELETED, but get "matched" there and when I click "Accept" I get a cha-ching sound and the transaction line gets a "c" in the "Clr" column. The "Date" is NOT changed from the one I entered manually (date the transaction was made) to the bank clearing date. Exactly as OSU used to work!

Only after all transactions have been reconciled (cleared) manually, do I dare to run OSU to get my online "Quicken Mobile & Web" updated!

My observations (limited) cannot rule out your theory/evidence for "Cloud Sync" being the failure point. We can only HOPE the Quicken QA team can figure out how to test for what the developers have broken. This worked correctly for MANY years before about three months ago.

I'll try your suggestion to remove Cloud Sync from the OSU settings. I can fully appreciate your caution to NOT "accidentally click OK out of habit". <chuckle>
    edited October 2018

Uh oh!

Relief.

Uh oh!

Relief!

Mark,
    That is correct. The issue happens during OSU if synching of the cloud data is enabled in the OSU settings. In the OSU settings, I always uncheck the "Cloud Synch" box. OSU will then only download transactions. After I match up and accept the downloaded transactions, then I backup my data file, and then I manually synch to the cloud, using the blue Synch Now button (Mobile & Web tab >> Synch Now ). I haven't had any problems doing it that way. The key is to not enable Synch to Cloud in OSU.
  • John FJohn F Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you Mark R. and Roger M. for your updates.
    I've tried a few more attempts to get my Quicken Cloud accounts "Sync'ed" and what a mess!

The slight benefit of being able to check my Quicken data online is FAR OUTWEIGHED by the deletion and duplication of transactions that get back into my offline Quicken data file.

I've deleted my Cloud Account data and will delete the Mobile Quicken apps on my Android and iOS devices. I am DONE with tools/features that threaten my accounting data.
    I can only HOPE they don't damage the transaction download functions of OSU or I'll have to forget that too and try to rely on my bank "export to Quicken" feature.

I'm disappointed in the Quicken Team, but grateful for Mark's and Roger's input.
    edited October 2018
    Yes - I too hope we don't have any further damage, and btw I too have a long history of software development (and now I work on development of a software test system), so for sure that helps a bit
This discussion has been closed.