ira contributions in downloaded transactions

I have an automatic monthly contribution to an IRA, made as a transfer from Checking to a Vanguard account. I do One-Step Updates that include both accounts. Some months, the transfer gets properly classified in the IRA as a ContribX contribution for current tax year; sometimes, it's incorrectly classified as MiscInc. Editing the latter and switching the transaction type (in the IRA) creates a duplicate entry in the Checking Account; trying to then delete either one of the duplicates in Checking screws up the transaction back on the IRA side. 

I can't quite pinpoint who is at fault (!) I have not tried creating a scheduled transfer. I am suspicious that the order of download has some impact. And I wouldn't mind doing a manual adjustment, but I can't figure out a method that works "safely." Ideas?

I'm using Q2018 Premier Windows on Windows10 (in VM Fusion) Thanks!

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Do a scheduled reminder of the transfer and I would do it in the IRA, thus creating the debit transaction in the checking account automatically.  Have it happen before the download can happen.

Then, when you do the download, the d/l'd transactions have transactions waiting to be matched to in both accounts.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Stewch9Stewch9 Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks! I'll give that a try.  FWIW, I've confirmed that if the transaction is created in the Checking account, as a transfer to the IRA, it gets classified correctly. So yes, having it created before the download makes a lot of sense.  Thx
  • bkmbkm Member
    This method did not work for me. I'm using Quicken 2019 Premier R18.15, 27.1.18.15.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bkm said:
    This method did not work for me. I'm using Quicken 2019 Premier R18.15, 27.1.18.15.
    Recording the transfer,  via a scheduled transaction, didn't work for you?  HOW, WHY, What happened?
    We're other users ... NOT Mind Readers.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • bkmbkm Member
    NotACPA said:
    bkm said:
    Recording the transfer,  via a scheduled transaction, didn't work for you?  HOW, WHY, What happened?
    We're other users ... NOT Mind Readers.
    Of course the scheduled transaction "worked". The scheduled transaction was entered properly into my bank account register, and I saw the amount deposited into my brokerage account register. The downloaded transaction from the brokerage account did not Match the scheduled transaction. My comment was that splasher's suggestion did not work, and even on a later version of Quicken. I admit Quoting the user might have been more effective in conveying the information, but since that was the only suggestion so far provided in this thread I thought mind reading would not be necessary.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The downloaded transaction from the brokerage account did not Match the scheduled transaction"
    Why not?  Differing dates?  Differing amounts?  What?
    Mind reading still needed.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • bkmbkm Member
    NotACPA said:
    "The downloaded transaction from the brokerage account did not Match the scheduled transaction"
    Why not?  Differing dates?  Differing amounts?  What?
    Mind reading still needed.
    That is the point of this article, right? To figure that out?

Same date. Same amount.

To try something different I deleted the Scheduled Transaction and entered it in again. I must wait until mid-March to find out if it worked. (I'm not sure but I believe the original Scheduled Transaction was a Bill Reminder and this new Scheduled Transaction is a Transfer Reminder.)