Wells Fargo Advisors downloading same transactions to two different investment accounts

Just started 8/7/18, One Step Update is downloading the same transactions to two unique investment accounts during the single update session.  Tried a reset on each, no difference.  Second day it has occurred.  Unique account numbers, and linked properly when doing the reset.

Comments

• bnc0123bnc0123 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have a very similar problem with Wells Fargo that started last Friday Aug 3, 2018. One step update is downloading the same banking transactions into all 3 of my investment accounts. I talked to Quicken and tried all the usual troubleshooting steps including Quicken software reinstall, file validation, online reset and reactivate etc. I made no progress. I called Wells Fargo and opened a ticket with them. 
  • edited August 2018
    Thanks, please post if you hear.  I also tried deactivate and activate, will see tomorrow, assuming there is a transaction, what happens.  Credit card, credit line and deposits seem OK.
    edited August 2018
    Yes I have no problems with other accounts (ETrade, Bank of America credit card, and Wells Fargo banking). Its just Wells Fargo investment accounts which are all getting the bogus transactions. I am on Windows 10 and Quicken 2018 Deluxe R10.11.
  • edited August 2018
    Same here but Premier R11.16
    edited August 2018
    I also discovered that if I do an extra one step update that has no downloaded transactions, then my Wells Fargo Advisor brokerage balances and holdings that you can see from Tools/Online Center, are all wiped out :(  
    edited August 2018
    I still have the same problem today with one slight difference. Bogus transactions only downloaded to one investment account incorrectly.
  • edited August 2018
    Nothing posted today so I don't know, but Quicken did have an update to R11.18.  However no mention in the corrections list of a download issue being resolved.
    edited August 2018
    Same problem again today. I am still on Quicken Deluxe 2018 r10.11. 
    edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018
    Thanks. I posted there that is also occurred on R11.16
  • John DJohn D Member
    edited August 2018
    I am having a similar problem.  Two dividend transactions in a WF investment account are also beig shown in a second WF investment account.  And all three WF investment accounts are not updating to latest holdings totals when I use one step update.  I have 2018 Quicken Deluxe, R11.16, 
  • BobCBobC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Hello:

I am having similar problems. 

My computer
    is a Dell Precision 5510 work station, running Windows 10 Pro, v 1803, Build
    17134.165.  I am running Quicken H&B 2017, Version R17.2, Build 26.1.17.2.  There were two updates to Quicken (R17.1 and R17.2) that I installed, that were about the time I first saw this issue, although it appears that others have seen it without installing either.

This started for me on 8/8/2018, when I did a one step update.  All accounts (bank checking, savings, credit card and other (non Wells Fargo Advisors) investment accounts updated properly, as far as I know.  All share balances are OK for Schwab & Vanguard.  However, two transactions that were supposed to be associated with a single Wells Fargo Advisor (WFA) account, were downloaded to all 4 of my WFA accounts.  The two downloaded transactions were correct for one account only, and included a dividend and a stock split.

No problem, I thought.  I did NOT immediately accept the stock split, which Quicken offered to do for me, as the first account I looked at had none of that holding in it.  I saw that holding was only in one of my accounts, so I deleted the transactions downloaded in the other three accounts instead of accepting them.

Only then did I realize that Quicken had "lost" or wiped out its memory of how many shares Quicken thinks WFA says I have for each holding in all of my WFA accounts.  So Quicken now believes that WFA says I have no shares of any holding, in any of my WFA accounts.  Thus, when I try to do a "Reconcile Shares" in any of my WFA accounts, the "Shares Reported" column shows 0 for every holding.  The "Shares in Quicken" column is still correct, but of course the "Difference" column in the "Reconcile Shares" function shows a "securities comparison mismatch" that is totally bogus and worse, 100% of each holding in each WFA account.  Quicken offers to create placeholder transactions to remove all of my shares of all holdings in all WFA accounts.  Wow, a really bad idea.  At least, at this moment, the share amounts still in Quicken's own internal registers are all still correct.  Yea for that!  But over time, this will become impossible to manage.  Quicken should be seeing the share balances reported by WFA as identical to the shares in Quicken.

I attribute this to some change in the format or content of shares information Quicken is downloading from WFA, but whatever and whoever caused this, it is really irritating, and kind of a big deal.   I suspect that it is a change in either Quicken or WFA expected formats or communications protocols or security settings or something similar, that is causing this issue. I suspect that, once again, it isn't the "intended" consequence of such a change, but the untested, unexpected, and undesired unintended consequence.  The devil is in those details..... ARGH....

I will also call WFA and request they address this issue as well as Quicken.

I have tried various "update" functions, but have been unable to find a work around to the problem as yet.  I hope Quicken and WFA can get this resolved before significant time, when multiple activities are posted to all accounts.  That will be a real mess to try and fix manually.  I will also call WFA and request they work with Quicken to resolve the issue.

I did not try de-activate/reactivate or "reset" functions, but I see that has not worked for  bnc0123 above; thanks to bnc0123 for trying those steps.

Any suggested work arounds and/or information from WFA or Quicken on when we should expect a correction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

8/13/2018 UPDATE:  I spoke to both Quicken Support and WFA Internet/Quicken Support today.  WFA initially connected me to a person who turned out to be a Quicken support person.  This person, while well intended and polite, was not expert in Quicken Investment accounts, and did not understand what I was explaining to him until I went over it several times.  He seemed to be reading a"script" he had in front of him, while giving me instructions.  He spent an hour and a half of my time "diagnosing" the problem by trying what has already been described in this forum thread - the standard de-activate and re-activate process, and a database verify and repair step, along with a few other checks.  He then told me there was a communications problem, and it was with WFA, and I needed to work with them.  One of his steps included a database validate and repair.  Running that dropped the communications setup with WFA entirely; I was able to partially recover from that by returning to the pre validate database and working from that.

Ultimately, after describing again why me, working directly with WFA, would be unlikely to resolve this, and that individuals at Q and WFA who were expert in the details, needed to work together to resolve this, to no apparent affect, I asked to talk to a supervisor.  I spent another 15 minutes with a "supervisor", who told me the same thing, but also gave me a case number and told me they would forward the issue to the developers.  Who knows what will actually happen.

I then called WFA a second time, and told them their first pass off to Quicken was not helpful, and wasted over an hour of my time, they gave me case number and told me they would forward to their WFA experts, who would work with Quicken to resolve this issue.

I'm not holding my breath.  Any work arounds someone discovers in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
    edited August 2018
    Bob, thanks for the detailed write up. I share your frustration when dealing with support people who are tied to their scripts. I also have an open case number with WFA that is over 10 days old.

I just did a one step update and the problem of duplicate transactions being downloaded to multiple brokerage accounts continues. I expect to be upgraded from Quicken Deluxe 2018 Windows version 10.11 to version 11.18 tomorrow.
  • BobCBobC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    bnc0123 said:

Bob, thanks for the detailed write up. I share your frustration when dealing with support people who are tied to their scripts. I also have an open case number with WFA that is over 10 days old.

I just did a one step update and the problem of duplicate transactions being downloaded to multiple brokerage accounts continues. I expect to be upgraded from Quicken Deluxe 2018 Windows version 10.11 to version 11.18 tomorrow.

Hi bnc0123:

Thanks for your input and the list of things you tried.  I'll be very interested if the upgrade resolves the issue/s.  I guess it is better to be guardedly optimistic than grumpy, so I'll try and hold positive thoughts.

Thanks again,
    Bob
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    bnc0123 said:

From C. D. Bales:

I just came across this discussion, and I think there may be some misunderstanding that may be clouding the issue. I'll take a stab at seeing if I can be of some help.

1.) I won't say it's impossible for Quicken to be partially, or totally, at fault here; but I think the place to start is with the most likely culprit: the financial institution. Until you can pin down the source, I think that expecting Quicken Support to be of much help will prove unfruitful (even then, I don't think investment account problems are one of their strong points.

Downloads of investment accounts are controlled by the financial institution; either directly, or indirectly by a software company they hired for the purpose. If there is anything wrong with the data downloaded, only the financial institution can get it corrected. And the frontline support people at the financial institutions are too often either unaware or unconcerned about this.

2.) Every time you download investment transactions, the download should include your holdings at that financial institution. If those downloaded holdings are incorrect, Quicken will have no way to know that, much less any way to correct it. It is those downloaded holdings that Quicken uses to compare to its holdings - and to then tell you when there is a difference:

a.) usually immediately following the download

b.) anytime you initiate a "Reconcile shares"

c.) whenever you are on the Holdings tab for the account in the Online Center and you click "Compare to Portfolio". What you see on that Holdings tab SHOULD be what was downloaded by the financial institution on the date shown (which should be the date of the last download for the account).

The bottom line here is that I see no evidence in this discussion that Quicken has "lost" or "wiped out" any holdings: what you need to do is look at the holdings that were actually downloaded. [See instructions below]. If the download contained holdings that showed zero shares for the holdings, that is what Quicken will present when any of the three options above are initiated.

3.) If your download is assigning the same transactions to two different accounts, it's not unreasonable to assume that at least one of those accounts may have incorrect holdings downloaded.

4.) If it were me, I would create a New (test) Quicken file. I would setup the two problematic accounts in that file and download to them. Based on previous comments here, I might try to do two downloads for each account where different transactions were expected in the two downloads. In any event, I would carefully note the results of each download (transactions AND holdings). I would make sure that I captured the OFX Log from the New file (in addition to the OFX Log from your primary Quicken file) - see below - to be able to determine whether there were any fundamental differences. If things work correctly in a New Quicken file (after multiple downloads), there is some cause to believe your original Quicken file may have some corruption ... and that corruption may not be correctable.

5.) At the end of the day, if the download contains incorrect information, only the financial institution can fix it. And by the same token, if the downloaded data is correct, I believe Quicken will have to get involved (and they may well want your Quicken log files).

**** To determine what was actually downloaded.

_ Go to Help > Log Files > OFX Log

_ Click the "Save As" button to create a .TXT file, which can be examined in Notepad, Wordpad, or Word (among others)

_ NOTE: if you view the OFX Log from your primary Quicken file, there may be a LOT of data for other downloads and other financial institutions to wade through ... but it still could be important to have the Log file data - the .TXT file will retain just what it had when you did the "Save As".

_ Open the .TXT file of your OFX Log data in your choice of software.

I believe the OFX Log info you want will start after the token/data that reads < MESSAGE > Successful Sign On (for the financial institution in question).

I think the investment transactions section of the OFX Log should begin with the token < INVTRANLIST >, and the investment holdings section of the OFX Log should begin with the token < INVPOSLIST >.

Account numbers should have the token < ACCTID >.

In the holdings section of the OFX Log, each individual holding should begin with the token < SECID >, followed by info such as its CUSIP, name, ticker, and number of shares held (token < UNITS >).

If I've gotten any of the OFX stuff wrong, there should be some others here who can correct me.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited August 2018
    As expected Quicken Deluxe 2018 Windows updated from version R10.11 to version R11.18 today. The duplicate transactions in multiple brokerage accounts from Wells Fargo Advisors is still an issue. I will call Wells Fargo again later today. For the record, I have always thought this was a Wells Fargo issue. I only talked to Quicken support once after Wells Fargo support transferred me to them. Getting Wells Fargo to take ownership of this problem is difficult.
    edited August 2018
    My call to Wells Fargo was typical. They promised to look into the issue. They gave me a new ticket number. No real progress. 

• BD305BD305 Member
    edited August 2018
    bnc0123 said:

My call to Wells Fargo was typical. They promised to look into the issue. They gave me a new ticket number. No real progress. 

same here, q11.18. duplicate transactions downloaded from wells advisors into two unique accounts. happened two days in a row now. 
  • edited August 2018
    Today. I had a single transaction on one WF Advisors account (IRA) and it did not post to the other account, so it would appear it worked as it should today.  Fingers crossed.  Quicken Premier R.11.18
  • edited August 2018
    Market up 300+ nothing downloaded yet, I still have same transactions in two different accounts.

• michael darabmichael darab Member
    edited August 2018
    Same problem with Quicken Premier 2018 R 11.18.   Deactivated all accounts and rebuild, run File Validate & repair after all accounts were removed and then added back for download. No problems before and after.  But still having the same problem same transaction being added to two different accounts. Problem at this time is only with Wells Fargo accounts.  
    edited August 2018
    Just got off the phone with WFA support. They expect to have this problem fixed by Aug 28. Temporary workaround is to delete extra transactions and download brokerage data directly from their website by manually importing the created QFX file into Quicken.

Not all that confident in a specific date. They did take ownership of the problem at last. Only took 2 weeks !?
  • John DJohn D Member
    edited August 2018
    I received a similar call and message from WFA Support as reported above by bnc0123 - i.e. acknowledged that it was a WF issue and they expected to implement the fix in WF system(s) on August 28. Also same information was conveyed to me regarding the temporary workaround,
  • EarthEarth Member
    edited August 2018
    Having the same issue.   I have multiple accounts with WFA.   for example, today, AAPL dividend posted in all accounts!   i only hold the stock in one accout
    I am using Q2017 RPM R17.4
    I looked at the OFXLOG file and the issue is clearly not from quicken but rather WFA is pushing the dividend erroneously to all my accounts.  

• BD305BD305 Member
    edited August 2018
    bnc0123 said:

Just got off the phone with WFA support. They expect to have this problem fixed by Aug 28. Temporary workaround is to delete extra transactions and download brokerage data directly from their website by manually importing the created QFX file into Quicken.

Not all that confident in a specific date. They did take ownership of the problem at last. Only took 2 weeks !?

great news thanks. 
  • TrkTrk Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Brokerage transactions going to wrong accounts.

When I download brokerage transactions from Wells Fargo Advisors, the same transactions get entered into all my brokerage accounts, instead of just the account they belong to. They used to be entered into the correct account until the las week or so. 
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled merging.

Hey Trk,

That definitely sounds unusual.

Are you able to upload a screenshot of the registers showing the same transactions in each of them?

To capture a screenshot please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots.

To attach an image please post a comment and select the camera icon.

-Quicken Tyka

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Brokerage transactions going to wrong accounts.
    -Quicken Tyka
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

I would bet that the problem is that Wells Fargo Advisors is actually sending the same transaction to all the accounts.

The OFX log would be the place to look.  But you would need someone that knows what to look at in it.

Investment accounts are Direct Connect.  Which means the OFX data is sent directly from your financial institution to Quicken.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Brokerage transactions going to wrong accounts.
  • TrkTrk Member
    edited August 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled merging.

Hey Trk,

That definitely sounds unusual.

Are you able to upload a screenshot of the registers showing the same transactions in each of them?

To capture a screenshot please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots.

To attach an image please post a comment and select the camera icon.

-Quicken Tyka

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a Wells Fargo problem that is being addressed.
  • TrkTrk Member
    edited August 2018
    QPW said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

I would bet that the problem is that Wells Fargo Advisors is actually sending the same transaction to all the accounts.

The OFX log would be the place to look.  But you would need someone that knows what to look at in it.

Investment accounts are Direct Connect.  Which means the OFX data is sent directly from your financial institution to Quicken.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a Wells Fargo problem that is being addressed.
This discussion has been closed.