Quicken 2017 R17.1 (Windows) - Crashing when entering/saving scheduled transactions

This morning, I got the R17.1 update for Quicken 2017 on Windows 10.  I did something with a scheduled transaction shortly after it restarted after applying the update, changed the date on something I think.  And it crashed, which I figured was just a fluke.  Whatever it was that I had changed was still changed after it restarted, so I didn't think much of it and went about my day.

But now I am trying to enter upcoming transactions into my register and it crashes every single time I enter them, without actually entering them in the register.  I'm stuck, unable to put any of my upcoming transactions in there.  Is there anything I can do/try other than keep submitting the crash reports and hoping it gets fixed soon?

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • MirandaMiranda Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    Thank you, sorry I meant to add that in the original post... I did do a validate/repair, but there were no data errors.
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    If you haven't already, I suggest you restore a datafile backup saved prior to the issue.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • MirandaMiranda Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    Sadly, that does not have any effect.  My last backup was from June 18, well before this update from today, and after restoring it, attempting to enter or save any scheduled transactions results in a crash and a reporting window.
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    The next step would be to rollback the Quicken update.  I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update while disconnected from the network.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend that you download and apply the 2017 Release 16.2 Mondo Patch: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from updating without your approval, I suggest you adjust Windows User Account Control Settings appropriately.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • David MannionDavid Mannion Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    I'm having the exact same problem!  It only seems to crash on me when I enter transfer type transactions from the Bills (Bill Reminders) screen.  I can enter non transfers from the Bills screen or enter the transfers directly in the account register.  It also just started tonight after the auto update.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Miranda ,

I do not trust Automatic Backups, so I always make a Manual Backup, after making Major Changes, like adding Transactions.

Release 16.2 wipe out the Password Vault, but I simply restore the last Manual Backup and it was fine.

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

You have not added your Flavor of Quicken, like Starter or Windows 10 Build information.

See this Article to reinstall Quicken 2017:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/installing-reinstalling-and-upgrading-to-windows...

• MirandaMiranda Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    David, you are right!  The transaction I kept trying to enter into my bank register yesterday was my car payment, which obviously has a transfer to the associated loan account. 

I just tried entering the Comcast bill, which is a simple charge to my credit card, and it was fine.  But anything involving a transfer... car payment, Roth IRA contribution, etc, it crashes immediately.
  • MirandaMiranda Member
    edited August 2018
    This is Quicken Deluxe 2017 and Windows 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.165.

I am usually better about making manual backups, the one from June 18 is actually the last manual one, so I've apparently been slacking this summer.  I hadn't added any new transactions or major account changes, I was just trying to enter some upcoming payments and transfers into the register.

I'll try reinstalling later today, but it sounds like David is experiencing the same thing and he narrowed it down to transactions involving transfers.  I am seeing the same thing... the transactions that are crashing it when entering or editing them involve some kind of transfer to another account, like my car payment where part of it is decreasing the loan, or my Roth IRA where the money is transferring from my bank to the Roth account.  Transactions that are just charges to my credit card are not crashing it.
  • PhilipPhilip Member
    edited August 2018
    I started having the exact same issue yesterday and still continuing today. Anyone have theirs start working? I have uninstalled, restored backups going back weeks, all with no luck. 
  • Erik HartErik Hart Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    i am having the same problem...  NOTHING fixes it.
    edited August 2018
    dont bother uninstalling and reinstalling   it doesnt work either.

• JamesJames Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Crashes as I attempt to enter or modify transactions in Bills.

Quicken 2017 Premier for Windows. Build 26.1.17.1, Version R17.1.  Just took the R17.1 update a couple of days ago.  Whenever I attempt to enter a transaction by using a scheduled Bill the system crashes, rendering Quicken useless to me.  I need this fixed ASAP or rolled back to where it was before I took this update.
  • JackJack Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm having the same problem since installing 26.1.17.1
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and I apologize that you are experiencing a crash when entering scheduled transactions in Quicken after installing the R17.1& 17.2 releases.

We have opened a ticket with Development to investigate this behavior further.  I'll be back to share updates as they are received.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited August 2018
    Any answers yet?
  • edited August 2018
    Same problem for me.  Have worked with support to fix, by downloading the Mondo patch, uninstall, reinstall, on and on.  Nothing works!   I had no problems until I downloaded the update yesterday.
  • Ralph SanJuanRalph SanJuan Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    I received the R17.1 auto-update 2 days ago for Quicken Deluxe 2017. Then had several syncing issues.  Today I noticed that an update to R17.2 was available.  I performed hat update and all seems fine now.  Might check under the HELP tab then CHECK FOR UPDATE to see if it shows the available update.   
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    Correction - I did the R17.2 update a couple of hours ago and all seemed to be working fine at that time.  Although I just tried to sync again a few minutes ago and the error while syncing has returned.
  • MirandaMiranda Member
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    I did get the 17.2 update earlier today, but it has not resolved the crashing issue when entering scheduled transactions with transfers.  I haven't had the syncing issue, so I don't know if the patch was supposed to address that.  The patch notes only mentioned mobile sync, which I do not use at all.
    edited August 2018
    Sherlock said:
    I knew our issues were not exactly identical but since yours appeared to start following the 17.1 update (as mine did) I wanted to at least point out that a 17.2 update existed in hopes that it might help you. Although it appears that both 17.1 and 17.2 are flawed.

Regarding the mobile app, you're really not missing much.  It used to be very nice but over the past year or so it's been plagued with issues and has become almost worthless as time goes by.
  • jlnavejlnave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Count me in. A couple of days ago, Quicken 2017 started crashing when trying to enter a bill payment transaction. I've tried several different payments with the same result. I also upgraded to R17.2 with no change. I validated my data file and everything checked out ok.
  • blaketblaket Member
    edited August 2018
    I have the same problem. Upgraded to R17.2 a few hours ago and Quicken crashes when entering a scheduled bill. Data file checks out.
  • Chris GarrettChris Garrett Member
    edited August 2018
    I was on the chat with an agent for 4 hours last night and what we finally had to do to get the problem fixed was:

***ALWAYS DO A BACKUP BEFORE TESTING ANYTHING***
    1) Backup your current data file,
    2) Do a complete uninstall from my computer.
    3) reinstall with no internet connection. (This keeps quicken from downloading the current patch.)
    4)Install the R16.2Mondo patch manually.
    5) Restore your backup file.

After following these instructions the transaction worked fine.

Since I was testing on my laptop, I added the newest patch and restored the backup again and was able to reproduce the error with no other changes.

edited August 2018

I was on the chat with an agent for 4 hours last night and what we finally had to do to get the problem fixed was:

3) reinstall with no internet connection. (This keeps quicken from downloading the current patch.)

Since I was testing on my laptop, I added the newest patch and restored the backup again and was able to reproduce the error with no other changes.

Where can we download the r16.2
     patch?

And when we reconnect to the internet how do we prevent quicken from just auto updating again?
  • Chris GarrettChris Garrett Member
    edited August 2018

I found the patch at http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    (moderators if this link to a 3rd party isn't allowed please delete)

As far as keeping it from updating. When I do my one step update every morning I just don't click "download" when informed that there is an update available. So far that has worked. (but I don't know for how long)
  • ChicagoDan3ChicagoDan3 Member
    edited August 2018
    Another QW 2017 user here.  I had seen 17.1 and 17.2 after I had done OSU but declined to install them because I wanted to see what the fallout would be.  This morning when I started Quicken the update automatically ran.  Now I hear about these problems with entering transactions with transfers.  I have some of those that I'll need to enter mid month.
  • TKATKA Member
    edited August 2018
    +1. Started seeing the same crashing behavior since receiving the R17.2 update.
  • Chris EngelChris Engel Member
    edited August 2018
    Same here, unusable after R17.2 update, did the R16.2 backlevel suggested above to get past the issue
  • edited August 2018
    I'm having the same problem.  Since the last update, any time I try to record a scheduled transaction, Quicken crashes.

This discussion has been closed.