Reconciling prior balance is incorrect, Quicken call center employees not notating problems

When I CTRL-R to reconcile using Quicken 2017, the Prior Balance is incorrect.  Even if I type the correct prior balance in, Quicken insists on changing it back to the incorrect prior balance.  If I elect to "Finish Later" before completing the process, when I go back to it, Quicken again imposes its own incorrect prior balance onto the reconciliation, ultimately forcing me to do a "Balance Adjustment" at the end of the reconciliation.  (I then have to delete the bogus balance adjustment after reconciliation so that my account balance is correct.)  

I was in contact with Quicken earlier this year, and they confirmed that this is a bug in their software.  Twice.  Both times were 1-2 hour phone calls that included sharing of my desktop so the employees could see the error with their own eyes.  Each time, they took me through their entire flowchart, involving reinstalling Quicken, creating a new data file, etc.  I showed them once in April, and again sometime in May or June.  To my great disappointment, both of these call center employees failed to escalate my case after gathering all necessary evidence.  When I call Quicken today, I am told there is nothing in my call history to indicate evidence has been gathered, and worse, they continue to proceed as if the error is due to some corruption on my hard drive or something.

The last time I called about it (maybe May or June 2018), in addition to sharing my desktop, I even offered to send them my Quicken data file since I really don't care if they know about my bills and stuff (my credit card numbers aren't in the file, and I don't do any online syncing at all using Quicken).  They took this offer - I uploaded it to my web server and they were able to immediately download it.  The guy thanked me and said this should really help the programmers address this bug.

Still not fixed, even after the recent Quicken 2017 update.

Not only is it August (no results), but far more alarming, I contacted Quicken today by phone to simply ask when Quicken estimates this bug will be fixed.  Instead of answering my question, the female representative said, "This is how our software works, and if you want to reconcile, you have to do the balance adjustment and then delete the balance adjustment after you're done reconciling."  This duct tape solution is of course what I do every month, but the way she described this so casually, acceptingly and unapologetically makes it sound like Quicken is now training their employees to think of this as a "feature" instead of a "bug."  She didn't even seem to understand that this isn't how accounting ought to work.  She was so "ho hum" about it and didn't seem to have any appreciation for the severity and absurdity of this problem.

I told her the last two people I spoke with a few months ago were very transparent about this being a Quicken bug, and were very apologetic about this.  Something at Quicken has really changed between April and today.

She kept asking if I wanted to create a case number for it (but also told me that doing so may not accomplish much since resetting the computer, reinstalling the software, etc. probably isn't going to fix this problem), which made me think she just wanted to be done with the phone call.  (In other words, "Would you like to end the phone call now or would you like to waste my time by doing a bunch of stuff that won't solve anything?")  I reiterated that I didn't call for tech support, I called to ask tech support when the bug will be fixed, and again she said, "This is how our software works."  After much back and forth, I was finally able to get her to admit that this software behavior is indeed a "bug," but it was kind of like this:  "Fine, it's a bug.  Now do you want me to create the case number?"

I finally asked her exactly what it means to create a case number - does that mean it's be escalated and someone would call me back?  She said yes.  That would have been nice to know earlier in the conversation.  So I said sure, go ahead and create it.  I asked when someone would call me back?  She said she doesn't have that information.  I said, "I'm just looking for a ballpark - sometime today or tomorrow?  Next week?"  Again she said she doesn't have that information.  Then 10 seconds of dead silence.  I finally said the words she had clearly been waiting for during the entire call:  "OK, I guess that's it."  She quickly said thanks and have a good day, and hung up.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 7
    And what was the case number?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • ChadChad Member
    edited January 7
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Chad said:

Hello Chad,

Thank you for taking the time to share this experience with the Quicken Community.  I would like to apologize for the experiences you have had with Support through this issue and assure you that each contact with Support is documented.

I've taken the liberty of reviewing not only the call log for Case 02015419 but each of your contacts with Support since January of 2018 and have submitted case 02015419 to our Senior Management staff for review and follow-up with the Representative.  I sincerely apologize for the misinformation you were given and the incorrect expectations set during this contact. 

Each contact with Support is documented in our internal customer management system which creates a case and generates a case number; however, creating a case only records the contact with Support and does not create an escalation nor trigger a callback from another Representative.

I searched through our open, reported and known issues but, was unable to find an open and/or resolved ticket reporting issues or incorrect amounts with the prior balance amounts when reconciling, I apologize.

Since I was unable to locate a report of this issue, I have been investigating further, working with my data file and copy of Quicken in an attempt to replicate the incorrect prior balance amount that cannot be changed but so far have been unable too.  We need to investigate this issue and behavior more in-depth to understand exactly what is happening and causing the change in the prior balance amount.

I understand that due to these issues, you had started over, manually entering the transaction data, is that correct?
      If so, may I ask, was an "Opening Balance" line created when the new account was established?  
      If so, what was the date and amount of the Opening Balance entry?  Was it marked as "reconciled" automatically? 
      Does the Opening Balance entry still exist in the account register in Quicken?
      When the reconcile is completed and the adjustment transaction created - is this created as an expense or deposit transaction?
      Have you attempted to manually un-reconcile the transactions to the beginning of the account history and re-reconciled at all?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited January 7
    Chad said:

Sarah I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are confusing "prior balance" with "Opening Balance".  They aren't the same.

If you have an that isn't linked to an online account, when you start reconcile you get this different dialog that has the prior balance in it and allows you to change it.

Whereas here is a checking account connected to an online account.
    Notice in this case the prior balance can't be edited.

In both case though what Quicken is doing is calculating that prior balance.
    And if that balance wrong, then my first question would be "why".  That either leads to a bug in Quicken, a damaged data file, or a misunderstanding by the user on how that value should be calculated.

It should be the sum of all the reconciled transactions (of which the Opening Balance is just one).

And I will point out that Quicken adds up all the reconciled transactions, even if they are in the future or past the "Ending Balance" entered (which I consider a bug).

Now playing with changing the prior number I will go back to the without the 8/30/2018 transaction and change the prior balance to 1,111.11 and ending balance of 2,257.89, and start the reconcile.

Notice 2,323.33 - 1,111.11 is how the Opening Balance Difference was calculated.

I selected Done, and I didn't get any balance adjustment.

Note I don't consider the process of changing the prior balance "reconciling".

The term means to bring your records into alignment with the financial institutions.
    It is instead just like a balance adjustment, which basically says "I give up" I can't get my account register to reconcile.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited January 7
    Chad said:

Excellent QPW.  You nailed it.

Quicken "office of the president" is reaching out to me.  Once our schedules line up and we finally connect, I will report back the results of our call.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited January 7
    Jesse (office of the president) scheduled a call with me for 11:00am EST for Tuesday, 8/28/18.  I sat at my phone from 11am to 11:40am, no call.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

Jesse (office of the president) scheduled a call with me for 11:00am EST for Tuesday, 8/28/18.  I sat at my phone from 11am to 11:40am, no call.

Hey Chad,

Did you receive a call back confirmation via email?

Can you either respond to that email or a previous email and set  a callback time.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • ChadChad Member
    edited January 7
    Chad said:

Juan H. from the Office of the President e-mailed me - he is going to call me Tuesday morning (9/4).
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

Hey Chad,

Thank you for responding and let us know that the call back has been sorted out!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • ChadChad Member
    edited January 7
    Update:  John from Quicken Office of the President called today as scheduled.  He told me that there is indeed a bug in Quicken 2017 which causes reconciliation to go haywire if you click on "Finish Later" to postpone working on reconciliation.  When you resume reconciliation later, Quicken incorrectly changes the balance, which necessitates a bogus balance adjustment to make everything add up.

I was happy to hear that they are working to fix the bug, and he guessed that it may be done as early as the 2nd or 3rd week of September.  Of course, no guarantees, but I'm just happy to hear they're aware of it and working on it.

I asked what the software behavior will be once the bug is fixed:  will users have to endure a permanent balance adjustment?  He said no - everything should just add up and be correct, with no manipulation needed on the part of the user after the software update completes.

Can't wait for that.

He also said that he listened to a recording of my call and said that the employee was out of line, and they already spoke to her and took corrective measures.
  • Todd HoatsonTodd Hoatson Member
    edited January 7
    Hi Chad, so did they give you a workaround in the meantime?  Are you able to reconcile?  Did you use QPW's method (which I didn't totally follow, unfortunately)?  Or do you simply need to wait until the bug is fixed later this month (or so)...?

I seem to be having about the same problem.  Times are tight - so I really needed to get through this reconcile to understand how much I have to work with.  This bug really isn't helping...
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited September 2018

Hi Chad, so did they give you a workaround in the meantime?  Are you able to reconcile?  Did you use QPW's method (which I didn't totally follow, unfortunately)?  Or do you simply need to wait until the bug is fixed later this month (or so)...?

I seem to be having about the same problem.  Times are tight - so I really needed to get through this reconcile to understand how much I have to work with.  This bug really isn't helping...

Todd Hoatson I didn't give a workaround.  I don't know of one, I was trying to explain to Quicken Sarah exactly what was happening so that Quicken Inc can get a handle on what is going on.

But I will say this.  The complaint is that changing the prior balance basically doesn't "work" because Quicken is continuing to calculate the prior balance based on the transactions.

Now if the user is allowed to change the prior balance then surely then Quicken shouldn't "interfere" with what they have set.

But frankly I think it is wrong for Quicken to allow the user to set the prior balance.

The prior balance is something that isn't "negotiable".  Being able to change it is like adding up a series of numbers and they come up to $111.33 and the person saying they don't like that number and so they changed it to $123.00.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Quicken's calculated prior balance should be correct.  Note when connected to an online account you aren't even given a choice, so it better be right.

So why isn't it?

There are a number of reasons this can be true.
    And it is the "process of reconciling" that should tell you which one it is.
    Reconciling is the process of finding any differences between what is in Quicken and what your financial institution records say it is.

And BTW the most likely reason for a difference is a mistake in the transactions entered into Quicken.

To find such a problem can be very involved, especially if you have been in a habit of changing the prior balance from what Quicken says it is.  That means that you might been hiding a problem all this time, and so that problem may be way back in your transactions.

What Quicken is doing is adding up your reconciled transactions, and that is your calculated prior balance.

You can see this by sorting by the CLR field, and selecting all the Reconciled transaction (click first transaction, hold shift click the last one) and looking at the "Selected" amount at the bottom right of the register.

So you have this number, it should be the same number that is your ending balance of your last statement from the financial institution (provided that is what you are reconciling to).  If it isn't then clearly you aren't really "reconciled".  And so if you go to the next statement and you are entering what the statement says for the prior balance, overriding Quicken's calculation, then you already have a problem.

The main causes I can think of that might cause a difference are:
    1. Reconciled transaction deleted.
    2. Reconciled transaction amount changed.
    3. Reconciled transaction change to uncleared or cleared.
    4. Quicken calculation problem.
    Being able to enter the prior balance is basically telling Quicken to "ignore" what it really knows about your reconciled transactions, and just "reconcile" the transactions you select.  As you are telling it just to add up those transactions and see if they add up to what your statement says they should add up to, ignoring all the prior reconciled transactions in the register.

Clearly Quicken isn't properly allowing you to override "ignoring prior reconciled transactions", and that is a bug, but it is also questionable of why you would want to do this.

To me it is just like putting in a balance adjustment.  You have decided you can't figure out why your reconcile doesn't balance, so you just put in an adjustment to line up with your financial institution's balance.  But clearly you haven't really reconciled.
    Your transactions don't match what the financial institution has, because if they did there would be no need for a balance adjustment.  That is of course there isn't any bug in Quicken doing the selection/adding of the transactions.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited September 2018

No, there is no workaround currently other than just continuing to let Quicken put its balance adjustment in (which makes the account balance wrong) and then deleting that adjustment to make the account balance again what it should be.

As for the "main causes" listed above:
    1. I understand how Quicken works with reconciling.  It is simple arithmetic, certainly far beneath the level of understanding of mathematics that I had to achieve to get a bachelors of arts in mathematics, and as such I would never (and have never) deleted any reconciled transaction.  There's no way this would happen on accident either.  Even if I fell on my keyboard and accidentally hit CTRL-D (or right-click --> Delete), I'd still have to carelessly click "yes" to confirm.  I am more likely to set my house on fire with a cigarette than I am to accidentally delete a Reconciled transaction... and I don't smoke.
    2. Same thing with changing a reconciled transaction.  Even if I did ever do that (and why would I??), Quicken has a confirmation dialogue for this that would make it impossible for me to do this by accident.
    3. Reconciled transaction changed to uncleared or cleared... again, confirmation dialogue, and why would I do this?
    Let's also suppose hypothetically that all these users who are experiencing this issue were all guilty of accidentally deleting reconciled transactions or something.  It seems to me the Quicken software should be ready for this:  have a "trash bin" or something from which accidentally-deleted transactions can be recovered (and from which Quicken support staff can obtain proof in support calls that the reconciliation problem is on the customer's end).  And why aren't reconciliation reports automatically generated and stored as part of the Quicken data file (accessible directly through Quicken)?  They would take up negligible space on the hard drive and would, again, provide a way to obtain proof that the customer messed up (or proof that Quicken has a bug).  Why not keep a log file of actions performed?  Any of these three things would allow Quicken support to be far more effective and would empower both customer and Quicken support people.

There were no errors inputting what I've inputted.  I inputted transactions from December through April with no errors, reconciling every statement perfectly.  The very next month, this error happened.  I did NOT delete or change any previously reconciled transaction in the course of that single month.  That would be an incredibly stupid thing for me to do, especially when the whole point of re-inputting my transactions in the first place was to eliminate the possibility of user error (and the extremely unlikely claim made by Quicken that my errors last year were likely caused by hard drive data corruption).  During that month, I was being EXTREMELY careful with Quicken.  The problem still happened.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited September 2018

Note that I did list Quicken "calculation" as a possible reason, and now that I think of it I can add another that is Quicken''s fault.  Quicken mobile has been known to mess up data files, removing transactions and such.

And of course there could be other such problems in Quicken.

But one thing I will point out if you really "reconcile" (the process not just running Quicken's dialogs) eventually you would come to the point where you would find something "wrong".  Missing transactions, changed transactions, Quicken calculation problem something.  Because the full reconcile process would involve "checking Quicken's work" too.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited September 2018

Remind me of why we're still discussing this... I thought we already determined in the phone call that this is definitely due to a bug that causes things to go haywire when the user clicks on "Finish Later" - or am I talking now with a different person than the one on the phone?  We ended the phone call knowing what was causing the problem, but now you've gone back and listed possible user errors.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited September 2018

I don't work for Quicken, I'm just another user.  And I'm sorry, I forgot that in your original post you pointed out this it the source of the problem.

In that case then Quicken Inc should have all they need to fix this problem.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited September 2018

That makes your reply above pretty confusing for newcomers to this thread considering that Todd asked me if "they" (Quicken Office of the President) gave me a workaround, then you jumped in and said "I" didn't give a workaround.  You definitely had me confused...
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited September 2018

There must be more to the issue than just clicking Finish Later. I just tried it and no change to my prior reconciled balance.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited September 2018

Sorry Chad, if I could removed that comment(s) I would.

But I do want to amended my comment above:
    "In that case then Quicken Inc should have all they need to fix this problem."

First off it isn't "a problem".

There is clearly two problems.
    1. Prior balance incorrect.
    2. The user can't override the prior balance because Quicken insists on adding in its calculation of the prior balance.

I hope the person from "Quicken Office of the President" really understands how to reproduce the problem with the prior balance (and has done so).  There is little to no chance they will fix the problem if the developers can't reproduce it.  And as Ms. Higgins pointed out, I can't reproduce it either.
  • Todd HoatsonTodd Hoatson Member
    edited September 2018

I want to reinforce what Chad said in his post from a couple days ago...

> 1. I understand how Quicken works with reconciling.  ... I would never (and have
    > never) deleted any reconciled transaction.  There's no way this would happen on
    > accident either.  ...

Same for me as well.

> 2. Same thing with changing a reconciled transaction.  Even if I did ever do that
    > (and why would I??), Quicken has a confirmation dialogue for this that would
    > make it impossible for me to do this by accident.

Same for me as well.

> 3. Reconciled transaction changed to uncleared or cleared... again, confirmation
    > dialogue, and why would I do this?

Same for me as well.  I don't remember clearly what I did in the past, because reconciling only happens once a month and lots of stuff happens in a month to push out those memories.

But I'm a detail person, and I understand well the basic concepts of bookkeeping that go into reconciling bank accounts.  I know better than to do these things on purpose, and Quicken makes it near impossible to do these things accidentally.  (Which is Chad's point, I believe.)

> Let's also suppose hypothetically that all these users who are experiencing this
    > issue were all guilty of accidentally deleting reconciled transactions or something.

Hypothetical, but also highly unlikely, given what is written above.

> It seems to me the Quicken software should be ready for this:  have a "trash bin"
    > or something from which accidentally-deleted transactions can be recovered
    > (and from which Quicken support staff can obtain proof in support calls that the
    > reconciliation problem is on the customer's end).  And why aren't reconciliation
    > reports automatically generated and stored as part of the Quicken data file
    > (accessible directly through Quicken)?  They would take up negligible space on
    > the hard drive and would, again, provide a way to obtain proof that the customer
    > messed up (or proof that Quicken has a bug).  Why not keep a log file of actions
    > performed?  Any of these three things would allow Quicken support to be far
    > more effective and would empower both customer and Quicken support people.

As a software developer myself, I've wondered about this kind of thing several times.  There's no record for the *user* to go back and check what happened in a reconciliation, let alone tech support.  Seems kinda strange...

In regards to what mshiggins wrote:

> There must be more to the issue than just clicking Finish Later. I just tried it and
    > no change to my prior reconciled balance.

I don't believe that is the necessary condition - at least not in my case.  Sometimes I have seen that clicking Finish Later resolves the problem, but not always.  I have never seen it cause the problem.

And to respond to QPW:

> There is little to no chance they will fix the problem if the developers can't
    > reproduce it.

It really comes down to how important it is to Quicken.  How hard are they willing to work to reproduce it?  Let's just step back and take it all in for a moment...

This is not about a set of complex calculations - it's not rocket science - as pointed out earlier.  This is about high-school-level-bookkeeping kinds of calculations.  This also isn't about some fringe feature of Quicken.

So now numbers of Quicken users have all been left with the vague feeling that Quicken is not able to reliably do basic math in the course of carrying out it's basic functions.  That's really bad for word-of-mouth PR...!

I've used Quicken for 10 years, and it seems that it has become less reliable in more recent years.  I dropped TurboTax a few years ago for that reason (and because their tech support was terrible), and I was hopeful when Quicken was separated from Intuit that maybe things would get better.

So far, seeing that the "Office of the President" is getting involved helps me to keep my hope alive.  I'll see what happens after the next update.

There are other options out there...
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited September 2018

> There is little to no chance they will fix the problem if the developers can't
    > reproduce it.

It really comes down to how important it is to Quicken.  How hard are they willing to work to reproduce it?  Let's just step back and take it all in for a moment...

This is not about a set of complex calculations - it's not rocket science - as pointed out earlier.  This is about high-school-level-bookkeeping kinds of calculations.  This also isn't about some fringe feature of Quicken.

And yet neither Ms. Higgins nor I can reproduce the problem given the steps above.
    Ms. Higgins has been using Quicken for at least 20 years if I'm not incorrect, and I have been using it since 1992.  I'm also a software developer with over 40 years of experience.

You are asking developers that have many problems and features to work on to "work hard" on reproducing/fixing your problem without some kind of reproducible use case.   And frankly I think your problem is more "fringe" than you think.  Most Quicken users have their accounts setup for automatic transaction downloading and as such wouldn't have an "editable prior balance".  Notice that Quicken Sarah didn't even know what was being talked about at first.

This isn't about " complex calculations - it's not rocket science" it is about getting the information to get at the root of the problem so that it can be found and fixed.

BTW I can tell you it isn't a calculation problem.  Computers NEVER add up numbers incorrectly.  But what happens all the time is that the "list of numbers to add" get messed up in some way.  As in the proper transactions don't get selected.

Quicken is probably on the order of hundreds of thousands of lines of code.  No one is going to "inspect the code" to find the problem.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited September 2018
    Today I was prompted to install an update to Quicken 2017 (R17.4).

Going through the list of updates, the only item that seems to have anything to do with reconciling is from R16.2:  "Fixed:  An issue where cleared transactions were omitted from the reconcile list."

R17.2 and R17.4 seem to only address issues related to mobile sync and scheduled transactions.

Time will tell if this works - fingers crossed as I await another month's worth of bank and credit card statements. There wasn't anything about wrong reconciliation dates or "Finish Later" bugs, so that has me a little worried.  Nonetheless, my fingers are still crossed.  I will report back when I know more.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

Today I was prompted to install an update to Quicken 2017 (R17.4).

Going through the list of updates, the only item that seems to have anything to do with reconciling is from R16.2:  "Fixed:  An issue where cleared transactions were omitted from the reconcile list."

R17.2 and R17.4 seem to only address issues related to mobile sync and scheduled transactions.

Time will tell if this works - fingers crossed as I await another month's worth of bank and credit card statements. There wasn't anything about wrong reconciliation dates or "Finish Later" bugs, so that has me a little worried.  Nonetheless, my fingers are still crossed.  I will report back when I know more.

Hello Chad,

Our apologies for any confusion.  The R17.4 release for Quicken 2017 is a hot fix and was created specifically to resolve the crash reported by multiple Users who entering reminders and scheduled transactions in Quicken and does not contain fixes for any other known issues or bugs in the software. It is is limited to only resolving the crash.

The release notes have not been published yet as R17.4 is still in a staged release format but they should be available soon at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

I also took the liberty of checking the status of the open ticket with Development for the "Finish Later" bug in reconcile and the ticket is still under investigation with no eta on when a fix will be available, I apologize.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if you have any further questions/concerns regarding the R17.4 update for Quicken for Windows.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • ChadChad Member
    edited October 2018
    I just went through reconciliation of a VISA card, and the same problem as described above affects this account too (not just my checking account).  The charges and payments/credits in the reconciliation window are exactly the same as the payments/credits and purchases on the paper statement, and yet Quicken shows a Difference of $70.51.  I have not deleted or uncleared any past transactions.

Pretty disappointing for accounting software to not be able to do accounting correctly.  It's like ordering a hamburger and getting a bun with no meat.

Is there any update on when this will be fixed?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

I just went through reconciliation of a VISA card, and the same problem as described above affects this account too (not just my checking account).  The charges and payments/credits in the reconciliation window are exactly the same as the payments/credits and purchases on the paper statement, and yet Quicken shows a Difference of $70.51.  I have not deleted or uncleared any past transactions.

Pretty disappointing for accounting software to not be able to do accounting correctly.  It's like ordering a hamburger and getting a bun with no meat.

Do you have any OTHER reconciled ("R" in the CLR column) transaction(s) that fall AFTER your card statement date?  Q will include those in the "Reconciled Balance" since, per that R in the CLR column, they ARE reconciled.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • ChadChad Member
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

No, I don't.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited October 2018
    Just reconciled my Discover Card today, which (so far) does not have the same problem as my checking account and my VISA account since I haven't had to do any balance adjustment yet for reconciliation to add up.  But there is still one issue, and I'm not sure if it's related or independent of the incorrect reconciliation balance issue.

Right off the bat after hitting CTRL-R, it says, "The prior ending statement date: 9/7/2018."  This is flat out wrong, and it cannot be edited (it is not a field, it's just an un-editable line of text at the top of the reconciliation window).  The prior statement ending date is August 20, 2018 (18 days prior to what Quicken thinks).  I verified that the only reconciled transactions currently in the account are those 8/20/18 and before.

Even though the prior ending statement date is more than two weeks off, the "New Statement Ending" date field (which I could edit if I wanted to) was correctly estimated by the Quicken software to be 9/20/18.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

Just reconciled my Discover Card today, which (so far) does not have the same problem as my checking account and my VISA account since I haven't had to do any balance adjustment yet for reconciliation to add up.  But there is still one issue, and I'm not sure if it's related or independent of the incorrect reconciliation balance issue.

Right off the bat after hitting CTRL-R, it says, "The prior ending statement date: 9/7/2018."  This is flat out wrong, and it cannot be edited (it is not a field, it's just an un-editable line of text at the top of the reconciliation window).  The prior statement ending date is August 20, 2018 (18 days prior to what Quicken thinks).  I verified that the only reconciled transactions currently in the account are those 8/20/18 and before.

Even though the prior ending statement date is more than two weeks off, the "New Statement Ending" date field (which I could edit if I wanted to) was correctly estimated by the Quicken software to be 9/20/18.

From what I have seen that date they give is the last time you reconciled.

They are "assuming" that is the same date as your statement date or something.  And that might not even be what that date is.  What I do know is I completely ignore that date because I have found it to be useless and it isn't how reconciling works.

Quicken's reconcile calculations do not depend on the last reconcile or statement date.

It is a calculation done based on the transactions that are marked reconciled.  And when you get into the actual reconcile dialog the "cleared balance" is of course based on if a transaction is marked cleared or not.
  • ChadChad Member
    edited September 2018
    Chad said:

Interesting.  I wish Quicken would label it correctly then:  "The last time you reconciled was 9/7/2018."
  • edited October 2018
    I have been having the exact same issue.  I balance my checking account one month and then the next month when I go to balance the starting balance - SHOULD match the ending balance from last month but it does not.  So I did the stupid add an entry and mark it as resolved so the starting balance will be correct.  Then I noticed this today - I am looking at my checking account in Quicken.  The blue line in the register shows the balance as of today.  This number has always matched the number for my checking account in the account list - but today it does not.  It is off $3 less than the starting balance was off when reconciling.  This is scary - Quicken needs to fix this problem.  This doesn't involve reconciling or any possible deleted transactions from a previous reconciliation.  This is just looking at my checking account and matching the balance for the last entry for today - matching the balance in the account list  for my checking account on the left hand side of the screen.  Took a photo - 
This discussion has been closed.