Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to match a bill reminder to a downloaded transaction?

Hello, running Quicken Premier 2017 R17.2 on Win10 PC.  

I have a few Bill Reminders set up.  They are set as reminders only.
The transactions are automatically paid from my FI, not using Quicken Bill Pay or anything through Quicken.
How can I clear or match the Bill Reminder to a downloaded transaction from my bank?
Thank yo in advance!

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    The answer depends on if you have automatic transaction entry on or off.

If it is on the downloaded transactions go directly into the register.

The best way is to make sure the reminder is entered into the register before the transaction is downloaded.  That way if the amounts line up, it will match automatically and get the status New Match (note if you don't see the text in the Status column you can widen the column to see it).

Basically the transaction in the register and the downloaded one merge.

If the transaction entered into the register is a different amount then the downloaded one you will have two transactions, the one entered by the reminder, which will have the Status of Uncleared, and the downloaded one that will have the status New.

To match them first change the amount of the "Uncleared" transaction to the amount of the downloaded one.  Next click on the status of the "Uncleared" transaction.  You will get a menu that lets you match it.  It will present you with a dialog with the downloaded transaction to match.  Typically there will only be the one matching transaction and you just have to click OK.  In the rare case of multiple transactions with the same amount you can select the proper one and then OK.

At this point the two transactions will be merged into one with a Status of New Match.

Note if you ever have a case where a downloaded transaction matched the wrong transaction in the register (I have never had this happen, but if you have a lot of transactions with the same amount it might happen), you can click on the Status, New Match and select to Unmatch it.  And it will be split back to two transactions.

Also as a tip you can temporarily sort by the Status column to group all the New/New Match/Unreconciled together to make sure you have them all.

If you aren't using automatic transaction entry there will be a Downloaded Transactions tab at the bottom of the register.

Automatic matched transactions will be at the top of the list, and you can click on them to see them in the register.  You can click on it and accept it to enter it into the register.  You can click on Edit or right click to do unmatch if needed.

For transactions that should match, what I would do it change the amount of the one that should have matched in the register, and then it should show up matched in the Downloaded transactions tab, and can be accepted in.

Note there is also manual match in the Edit/right click menu, and unlike with automatic entry it will allow you to match to transactions in the register even if the amounts don't agree.  But what it will do is make the transaction a split transaction, with a line for the amount difference.  And that split line will not be categorized.  Most likely not what most people would want to do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    To control automatic transaction entry you can set both a global and per account setting.
    Global:  Edit -> Preferences

Per account select the settings (gear) icon from the top right of the account and then
    Edit account details -> Online Services tab -> Click on the "entry link".

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    As a side note.

When in automatic entry mode you are suppose to "Review" downloaded transactions.
    You do this by clicking on a downloaded transactions New status and select Reviewed.  At that point the New/blue dot goes away.  You can also select at that time to mark them all reviewed.  Since they are all in the register you can review them all and use sorting and such, and when you known the are all right, then select to mark them all reviewed.

When not in automatic entry mode you are suppose to look at the transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab and Accept them into the register.

Note that the Downloaded Transactions tab has an Accept All just like the review all selection, but there is a difference that means that Accept All is seldom recommended.

The difference is because with automatic entry the transactions are already in the register, you can see the category assigned for all of them at once.

With using the Downloaded Transactions tab you can't tell what category is going to be assigned until you click on that transaction and it shows it to you in the register.
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Your answer isn't quite accurate.  For payments that are different each month, such as electric bill, phone bill, credit cards, etc. this does not work.  Because I don't know what the amounts of these will be each month, I have the amount on the reminder set to $0. 

Quicken does not match those bill reminders to the payments when those transactions are downloaded.  I have to go into the Bill Reminders page and manually skip those reminders.

I'm using Quicken 2017 Premier, and this has been an issue in all previous versions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    JB said:

Your answer isn't quite accurate.  For payments that are different each month, such as electric bill, phone bill, credit cards, etc. this does not work.  Because I don't know what the amounts of these will be each month, I have the amount on the reminder set to $0. 

Quicken does not match those bill reminders to the payments when those transactions are downloaded.  I have to go into the Bill Reminders page and manually skip those reminders.

I'm using Quicken 2017 Premier, and this has been an issue in all previous versions.

Automatic match REQUIRES the amount to be the same (this goes for whether you are using automatic transaction entry or not).

In the case where you the amounts aren't the same, you have to do a manual match.

For automatic transaction entry mode this is the procedure I use.
    1. Enter scheduled transaction into register (prefered before the downloaded transaction arrives.)
    2. Download transaction. At this point you have two transactions for the one "real" one.  One marked New (downloaded transaction) and one marked Cleared, the one entered through the scheduled reminder.
    3. Change the amount on the "Cleared" transaction to match the one on the downloaded transaction.
    4. Click on the Cleared status for that transaction, and select to match it to a downloaded transaction.  A dialog should pop up showing only that one transaction (because the amount has to match), and you can just select OK.  The two transactions will be merged.
    You could do what you did and just skip the reminder, but since the reminder hold the category information that will not work for more "complicated" transactions like a paycheck reminder.

What's more I suggest instead of setting the reminder to $0 setting it to the average amount you pay so that you can use it for the projected balances and in the budget views.

Also you might want to look into the "Online Bills".  If an online bill is linked to a reminder then when it is downloaded Quicken will change the amount and date to what was downloaded.  This doesn't always get you the exact amount because say your statement comes in and it has the amount to pay, this is the amount Quicken is going to get.  But if you return something before you pay your bill most financial institutions will reduce your payment by that amount.  But at least it gives a ballpark number.

BTW do NOT use automatic reconcile with automatic entry.  If you do each time you download it will run an reconcile and if there isn't mismatch in amounts it will mark the transactions reconciled, and the New or New Match will be removed.  The problem with this is that reconcile doesn't care about getting the categories correct.
    So you should instead not use it so that you can properly review your downloaded transactions.  You can still reconcile to online balances.  You just need to start the reconcile manually using Ctrl+R whenever you want to reconcile.

For the people not using automatic transaction entry the flow is more like this.
    1. Enter scheduled transaction into register
    2. Download transaction.
    3. Transactions go to the Downloaded Transactions tab.  Again the automatic matching will not happen if the amounts aren't the same. So you will need to change the amount of the transaction in the register. Once you do that it will show as matched in the Downloaded Transactions tab, and you can accept it into the register.
    There is a "manual match" option in the Downloaded Transactions tab that one might be tempted to use.  99% chance you don't want to use it.  Here is how it works.
    Say you have a transaction in the register for $100, and you download a transaction for $110.  If you use the manual match from the Downloaded Transactions tab it will allow you to select the $100 transaction, but what it is going to do is create a split transaction with one line for the $100 and your category, and another line for the $10 with no category assigned.  Most likely not what you wanted.
This discussion has been closed.