Capital One reauthorize

If you are having issues with capital one re-authorization, here is a a solution:
1. Go to your Capital One account ONLINE
2. Click on the settings (Under your image or picture) Top right
3. Select Security
4. If you see Linked accounts with Quicken, Click the Icon to the right to Unlink Quicken
5. Confirm Unlink and log out.

In Quicken software
1. Go to Capital Account in quicken and view transactions
2. Click the Cog icon for settings
3. Click Account Details
4. Select the Online Services tab
5. Click Reset Account
6. You will be prompted to reauthorize. Follow the instructions and the account will be reauthorized and download will work

Note:
If you have multiple Capital One accounts, I have a hardware store CC that is Capital One, You "May Need to do this multiple times. However, if both CC accounts have the same user id and password it will not work. Go to the second account and change something so it will recognize it as a separate account.

Comments

• cscs Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled capital one accounts need reauthorization every day.

Quicken 2017 R17.2 (26.1.17.2)

Over the last few days the new Cap1 authorization is being requested every day.  And this morning the reauth has been requested for each account multiple times, it doesn't seem to work or stick. Need I say that this is time-wasting and infuriating?

I have multiple Cap1 credit card accounts and 360 accounts in my Quicken file (8 accounts, 3 different login ids).  So even a routine workaround isn't that simple.

And Quicken people (or their proxies), don't tell me to deactivate and reactivate or any of that nonsense. Fix the dang software.  (Even if it works, it's an annoying process that then requires you to clean up a ton of duplicate transactions.)
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited August 2018
    cs said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled capital one accounts need reauthorization every day.

Over the last few days the new Cap1 authorization is being requested every day.  And this morning the reauth has been requested for each account multiple times, it doesn't seem to work or stick. Need I say that this is time-wasting and infuriating?

I have multiple Cap1 credit card accounts and 360 accounts in my Quicken file (8 accounts, 3 different login ids).  So even a routine workaround isn't that simple.

And Quicken people (or their proxies), don't tell me to deactivate and reactivate or any of that nonsense. Fix the dang software.  (Even if it works, it's an annoying process that then requires you to clean up a ton of duplicate transactions.)

Hey CS,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

Thank you for taking the time to come to the community.

I would give the solution listed above a try and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • John SJohn S Member
    edited August 2018
    Does not work for me.
  • lablover57lablover57 Member
    edited August 2018
    It especially does not work if you have a cap one cc, it thinks the login and password are the same. I had to remove my cc and re-authorize that way. Then, it worked. I then had to add my cc card information again. A huge bug I would say...
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • BethBeth Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One problem- again.

We have a capital one credit card and some capital one 360 savings accounts. Have had problem for the last 2 weeks downloading. Keeps saying I have to reauthorize, which I do. Sometimes that works. most of the time now.,
  • BethBeth Member
    edited August 2018
    cs said:

Kind of worked. I have a credit card and several 360 accounts. I followed Ahmads directions and unlinked the accounts. QUicken locked up and I had to CRT ALT DELETE to get out. Then followed the rest and the credit card reauthorized and downloaded. I changed an item on of the 360 accounts and had to reauthorize, and this time unchecked the credit card and left the rest checked. Got an error message that the Quicken servers could not connect WITH directions to essentially open Capital One online and I left that OPEN. Then I opened QUicken onestep and indicated that I ONLY wanted the capital one accounts updated. All Cap One accounts then did update. Have not tried to update everything, including non Capital One accounts with Cap one accounts all together but will try tomorrow.  I should add my login and user name are the same for the credit card and the 360 accounts.

One thing I have noticed is that when I break out of being locked up with task manager, Quicken shows as 32 bit. I have a 64 bit computer. No idea if this is a factor to this ongoing problem with Capital one or not, but the problem keeps reappearing it seems every few weeks or months and only with the capital one accounts.
  • John SJohn S Member
    edited August 2018
    Still not working.  Quicken now says - oops we are having problems...it's not your fault....
    Any idea when Intuit will fix this?
  • lablover57lablover57 Member
    edited August 2018
    Intuit no longer owns Quicken
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • edited August 2018
    cs said:

Yeah, this isn't a permanent solution. The problem is that many companies are moving to 2 or even 3 level authentication which is throwing these financial programs into crazy land. As a software developer I know how hard it is to try to stay on top of new changes when you have no input in such decisions. Hopefully it will all eventually clear out. I have the same issue with multiple accounts including First National Bank and Sychrony.
  • edited August 2018
    cs said:

As far as 32 bit, I have 64 windows 10 and yes it does show as 32.
  • John SJohn S Member
    edited August 2018
    Still unable to connect.  Quicken says; Oops we are having a problem, don't contact C1, they can not fix the problem.  Who at Quicken is fixing the problem and when should it be fixed?
  • BethBeth Member
    edited August 2018
    Beth said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capital One problem- again.

We have a capital one credit card and some capital one 360 savings accounts. Have had problem for the last 2 weeks downloading. Keeps saying I have to reauthorize, which I do. Sometimes that works. most of the time now.,

STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CAPITALONE
  • John SJohn S Member
    edited August 2018
    Beth said:

Me too
  • cscs Member
    edited August 2018
    Mine has been working for a few days now, so I'll post what I did in case it helps anyone.

1.  Don't need to do anything in your Cap1 accounts (ignore what they said above).
    2.  Go to each of your Cap1 accounts in Quicken (card & bank accts) that are under a single id, and deactivate online update.
    3.  Let's assume you have 1 card account, and 2 bank accts (mine are 360 accts).  Activate online download for one of the accounts, let's say bank, and make sure to check all the Cap1 accounts under that id, even if they're different type (card). And then make sure to link the accounts correctly.
    4.  Now activate online download for the other type of acct (this time card, since you did bank in previous step), and once again MAKE SURE TO CHECK ALL THE ACCOUNTS IN THE LIST.  Again link the accounts correctly in Quicken.

One issue seems to be that you download each type of account separately, but there's only one list for an id, so if you don't check all the accounts under that id, things get messed up.  It's not the world's best user interface, and the whole thing seems to be quite fragile, but I don't know whose fault that is.

Anyway, hope this helps, although YMMV.
  • cscs Member
    edited August 2018
    cs said:

Mine has been working for a few days now, so I'll post what I did in case it helps anyone.

1.  Don't need to do anything in your Cap1 accounts (ignore what they said above).
    2.  Go to each of your Cap1 accounts in Quicken (card & bank accts) that are under a single id, and deactivate online update.
    3.  Let's assume you have 1 card account, and 2 bank accts (mine are 360 accts).  Activate online download for one of the accounts, let's say bank, and make sure to check all the Cap1 accounts under that id, even if they're different type (card). And then make sure to link the accounts correctly.
    4.  Now activate online download for the other type of acct (this time card, since you did bank in previous step), and once again MAKE SURE TO CHECK ALL THE ACCOUNTS IN THE LIST.  Again link the accounts correctly in Quicken.

One issue seems to be that you download each type of account separately, but there's only one list for an id, so if you don't check all the accounts under that id, things get messed up.  It's not the world's best user interface, and the whole thing seems to be quite fragile, but I don't know whose fault that is.

Forgot to add: rinse & repeat for each set of your Cap1 accounts under a single id.  (I have 3 sets of accounts under separate ids.)
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited August 2018
    cs said:

This FINALLY seems to have done the trick for me. Thank you!
  • dpw-ctdpw-ct Member
    edited August 2018
    I reauthorized capital one but I am now missing about a month of venture credit card transactions Aug1-aug 27, how do I fix this
  • edited August 2018
    Try going to the website and download the transactions into a Quicken file then import them back. MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR QUICKEN FILE FIRST. If Quicken ate the transactions they will be put back. If they still there but you can't see them then it will double up hence the backup.
  • dpw-ctdpw-ct Member
    edited August 2018
    what format file should I import from capitalone to quicken
  • edited August 2018
    QFX format or QIF Format whichever is provided by the website. Normally Windows will automatically open Quicken and load the file. If not then save it to the download folder and using Quicken Go to the Select File, File Import then select either WebConnect or QIF depending on the file downloaded. Disclaimer, Make sure you copy the QDF file from DOCUMENTS Folder Under Quicken Folder to some other location, if the import goes south you can copy the back up file and overlay the messed up one. Also, there were occasions that import file did nothing. In that case you may want to try to rebuild the QDF, Quicken file, by going to File, File Operation then select Repair and Validate.
  • Mark HopewellMark Hopewell Member
    edited August 2018
    cs said:

Here's what we're doing after 23 years w/Quicken and 16+ years with CapOne (started with ING).
    1. Writing a check for all accounts balances to a bank that is helpful.
    2. Exporting Quicken data (93 MB) over MANY years.
    3. Removing Quicken from the PC since it cannot resolve this and has gone to a subscription.
    4. Getting on with our life instead of spending hours every week trying to resolve this.
  • edited August 2018
    cs said:

I really understand. After I posted my solution Capital One isn't connecting anymore and I spent hours trying to get it to reauthorize without any luck. I NEED to use some software for my bookkeeping and really stuck.
  • tombtomb Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capitol One 360 Account reauthorization.

I am receiving a request for reauthorization of my Capitol One 360 accounts when I attempt an update. When I click on the reauthorize icon I get a small rotating circle to the right of the icon and it just sits there and continually rotates. The cancel button does nothing and the only way out is to hit Cntrl, Shilf, Esc. and close the program. In the task manager window it tells me that quicken is not responding.
    I am running Quicken Home and Business 2017 R17.1 Build 26.1.17.1 on a Windows 10 machine.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited September 2018
    tomb said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Capitol One 360 Account reauthorization.

I am receiving a request for reauthorization of my Capitol One 360 accounts when I attempt an update. When I click on the reauthorize icon I get a small rotating circle to the right of the icon and it just sits there and continually rotates. The cancel button does nothing and the only way out is to hit Cntrl, Shilf, Esc. and close the program. In the task manager window it tells me that quicken is not responding.
    I am running Quicken Home and Business 2017 R17.1 Build 26.1.17.1 on a Windows 10 machine.

Hey Tomb,

Sorry you're still receiving error messages with Capital One.

I have moved you to an ongoing post regarding the reauthorization method.

I would try some of the fixes listed above that other users have reported having success with.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • tombtomb Member
    edited September 2018
    tomb said:

And if I do what is suggested at the top of this thread exactly how many transactions will it download? Just the ones that have not been downloaded before or all of them creating a ton of duplicates?
  • Mark HopewellMark Hopewell Member
    edited September 2018
    tomb said:

I have done the "fixes", which involved going through four Capital One accounts, manually deleting dozens of duplicates which were previously downloaded, then I was able to download transactions.
    Until the next time when the reauthorization screen popped up again and froze Quicken.
    Again.
    This is really bad - worked great for years, now is consuming hours per week.
  • edited September 2018
    tomb said:

Me too Mark, it worked for a week then it is asking to reauthorize and no luck, keeps saying it failed but you go to capital one and it's authorized. Go figure.
  • edited September 2018
    tomb said:

Tomp, make a physical copy of the Quicken file, it should be in your Documents under Quicken. Then do the procedure. this way if it dups then you can put th original file back. That's said, when I did it it didn't duplicate anything.
  • tombtomb Member
    edited September 2018
    tomb said:

But if the re-authorization request keeps coming back what is the point? Who is asking for it anyway, is it Capitol One or Quicken? I am beginning to think that this is a ploy by Quicken to get you to upgrade.
    Come on Quicken fix this.
  • tombtomb Member
    edited September 2018
    Not only is this problem still there, but I am getting a message that TD Bank is not updating due to security issues yet it works fine. What exactly is going on with this software? I ask again. Is anybody at Quicken really listening?? Are we valued customers or just an exploited revenue stream?
This discussion has been closed.