Change to reconciled transaction warning

JKDJKD Member
Please add a warning if an edit will cause a reconciled transaction amount to change. (Current system: Quicken Mac Deluxe 2018).
1 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

This Idea has been implemented.

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hey JKD,

Thank you for the contributing this idea, I can definitely see how that would be helpful.

In the mean time, do you have the CLR column added?

This will show if a transaction has been reconciled or not and maybe helpful when editing transactions.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • JKDJKD Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks, good suggestion. I do have this field displayed, and I recommend this to anyone else whose search gets them to this post. (I also strongly recommend monthly account reconciliation so you can discover and true-up any issues within the scope of just one month.)

To give additional context around my initial post, in case it helps: I'm going into reconciled credit card transactions to retroactively itemize within them, to use Quicken reporting to get a better understanding of our monthly spend over the past year. Through this process I managed to change the dollar amount of a top-level transaction, which I could tell because my current balance was now off from my bank by $32.25. I tracked it down by walking backward through monthly reconciled amounts until I found the month where the change occurred. I then walked through the likely transactions in that month until I found the one with a newly itemized entry that matched the dollar amount of the account's balance change. Fortunately it was only one transaction! A warning, though, at the point where my work changed the previously-reconciled transaction's amount in the first place would have helped me avoid that work. 

Thanks, again, for your reply. I already have a positive impression of Quicken, and it makes me feel even better about Quicken knowing that these posts are monitored and that helpful tips are forthcoming. This has been a very positive interaction.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really, this idea should be that a warning should be given whenever ANY change is being made to a reconciled transaction.

That is how it works in QM2007.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs: