Idea for Edit Income Reminder. In Optional Settings - Auto Enter in X Days.

Idea for Edit Income Reminder. In Optional Settings - Auto Enter in X Days. I have transactions due date set to the last day of the month. I would like the auto enter to occur the 1st of the month.
2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Until, perhaps some day in the future, some programmer at Quicken makes a change and allows for something like
    • Automatically enter on the [first, last, 1...31st] day of the month the transaction is due*
      (* but not later than due date, e.g., due date = 1/15, auto enter on 1/21 would not be allowed)
    and given the fact that "last day of the month" is a variable target (can occur on 28, 29, 30 or 31st) the best I can suggest for now is that you use
    • Automatically enter ... [28] days before due date
      (or 29, 30, 31).
    This will make your transaction appear as recorded in the register on or around the 1st of the month. Well, yes, there's a little fudge factor, but right now it can't be helped.

IMHO, for planning purposes it is really not necessary to make all scheduled payments for the month appear in the register on the 1st of the month. My reminders are set to remind me as many days in advance as needed, e.g., for credit card payments I use about 21 days. That's about the date when the credit card statement for the month is generated.
    The Projected Balances view will show your transactions, whether already recorded in the register or still pending as future reminder on the due date.
    Settings in your account register allow you to show future dated transactions, including reminders as if they were transactions already, for a number of days (7, 14, 30, 90 days, 12 months) ahead.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @Bill

Not sure why you want to schedule for the day after the last day of the month when you can auto-enter on the first day of the month?

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@Bill

Not sure why you want to schedule for the day after the last day of the month when you can auto-enter on the first day of the month?

I read it as pre-entering the end of the month transaction at the beginning of that month.

So as an example, on 9/1, enter my my 9/30 interest income in my checking account so I can see what my cash flow is going to be.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@Bill

Ah, not the way I interpreted the idea, but your interpretation makes more sense.

I would go with UKR's second bullet.
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have all my Bills enter on the 1st of the month. the only ones I have an issue with are the ones that are on the last day of the month. I like to see each month what is going out and what is left. Now that I am retired this is an easy way to help budget my spending.

I know I can adjust it prior to each month. But why have Quicken it I have to do it by hand when it requires so little programming. My career was programming and IT management before you start to tell me how hard it is. 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I have all my Bills enter on the 1st of the month. the only ones I have an issue with are the ones that are on the last day of the month. I like to see each month what is going out and what is left. Now that I am retired this is an easy way to help budget my spending.

I know I can adjust it prior to each month. But why have Quicken it I have to do it by hand when it requires so little programming. My career was programming and IT management before you start to tell me how hard it is. 

I confess I'm having trouble following what the main issue is in this thread.

You know you can schedule reminders for the last day of the month, right?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2019

Yes! But he wants the transaction to be added to the register on the first of the month.
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

This is the 1st sentence: I have all my Bills enter on the 1st of the month.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

• Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I am asking for both a selected date and how many days before.
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Also for Social Security checks come in on a specific day of the week in a specific week. It would very useful to have a "2nd Wednesday" as an example" which week and which day.

I would think that a lot of us that started with Quicken in the 80's DOS version are still using it or nearing or in retirement. We didn't makeup the SSI rules we just have to live with them. This is something that would make Quicken work with it easier.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • mshiggins
    edited December 2020

Also for Social Security checks come in on a specific day of the week in a specific week. It would very useful to have a "2nd Wednesday" as an example" which week and which day.

I would think that a lot of us that started with Quicken in the 80's DOS version are still using it or nearing or in retirement. We didn't makeup the SSI rules we just have to live with them. This is something that would make Quicken work with it easier.

Thanks,
    Bill

There is a second Wednesday type schedule frequency:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7863666/faq-how-to-record-social-security-income-customize-day-of-month-for-schedule
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks,
    Bill

mshiggins,
    Thank your very much. I have looked several times  and i guess I was expecting to see something different. I should have checked further. It seems obvious now that I have seen it. LOL  Again Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Until, perhaps some day in the future, some programmer at Quicken makes a change and allows for something like

• Automatically enter on the [first, last, 1...31st] day of the month the transaction is due*
      (* but not later than due date, e.g., due date = 1/15, auto enter on 1/21 would not be allowed)
    and given the fact that "last day of the month" is a variable target (can occur on 28, 29, 30 or 31st) the best I can suggest for now is that you use
      (or 29, 30, 31).
    This will make your transaction appear as recorded in the register on or around the 1st of the month. Well, yes, there's a little fudge factor, but right now it can't be helped.

IMHO, for planning purposes it is really not necessary to make all scheduled payments for the month appear in the register on the 1st of the month. My reminders are set to remind me as many days in advance as needed, e.g., for credit card payments I use about 21 days. That's about the date when the credit card statement for the month is generated.
    The Projected Balances view will show your transactions, whether already recorded in the register or still pending as future reminder on the due date.
    Settings in your account register allow you to show future dated transactions, including reminders as if they were transactions already, for a number of days (7, 14, 30, 90 days, 12 months) ahead.

So in your humble opinion it better to have to do a work around every month than making an very simple change to Quicken. Its sad that you want the product to be less than it could be. 

I have been using this product since the very early DOS days. I have not complained about any of the file and download issues thru the years. I as for one simple change to make my life better ant you think I should change how I get my bills and set them up to fit Quicken and adjust my life to how quicken works. That does not bode well for Quicken staying a top notch product.

Why have such limited thinking?  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

(or 29, 30, 31).

Limited thinking?
    Not so, I've seen how Quicken can screw up something that works just fine adding a feature that should be so simple.  A example of that is downloaded loans.  When they incorporated that abysmal failure, they made the process of creating a loan to another person a whole lot harder.
    Simple little features are never little or simple.
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

(or 29, 30, 31).

I agreed. after putting a loan in and seeing how it worked I restored back prior and did it the old way.

I would hope that they could put a 1st day of month instead of a calculation without screwing up the system.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

(or 29, 30, 31).

One thing that "drives" these kind of "mistakes" is that people don't realize that Quicken Inc has its own aggend/problems to solve.  And as such will do things in a way that is the "best" for them.

For instance in the case of the downloading of loans the people that requested it (or at least the long time users) envisioned it as nothing more than taking the existing system which generated the "details" of the transactions, and just download/match the net amounts from the loan.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that they had another problem they wanted to solve in this area.  People were complaining about the fact that the loan wizard didn't work for their kind of loan.  And given all the different kinds of loan schedules the financial institutions are coming up with it certainly seems like a near impossible task to get it working for them all.

So you flip the problem on the head and say "let's just believe what the financial institution says".  So that is how you get to a "download" that locks the whole account/no transactions showing.

On this request for what definitely a minor change to the reminders.

Under normal circumstances (like a year ago) I would say the risk is low, but that changed because of again how the Quicken developer envisioned a new feature.

When I look at what Online Bills does, my take would have been.  You take the existing reminders, and add the option to update the date/amount based on what is downloaded.  Basically you could then leave almost everything else unchanged.

Now I can't really see the purpose of having an Online Bill that isn't connected to a reminder, but that is exactly where they came from.

And then they "linked" it to the reminders.  And then for the 2018 release of Quicken they went even further down that path trying to make the "new Bills view" the "driver" of all of this.  And they tossed out views they didn't think people were using until the outcries were heard.

So that brings us to the present where even if a person is using the reminders in a purely manual mode they are finding they aren't working right.  I do believe they have a handle on fixing that part of it.

But they have had several patch releases for the 2018 Quicken release and now in both 2017 and 2016 that have caused all kinds of crashes and data corruption for people using the Online Bills feature.  These problems have yet to be fixed, and most likely people are going to find that their data files are corrupted beyond repair.  As in when they fix the problem, it won't magically make the corrupted data files "all better".
    I have a data file like that, and I doubt I will ever be able to use it again without it constantly crashing.  (I have rebuilt my data file using QIF exports/imports).

Given that this request ties into this same area, unfortunately the risk just went up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

(or 29, 30, 31).

P.S.  Even though I think the risk has gone up, I do still think this is a minor feature they could get in without messing it up.  But it also depends on if they think the majority of people need it and how long their task list is.  And believe me it is a very long task list!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

(or 29, 30, 31).

I would also like the enhancement that Bill suggested. The change would let me see my projected balance well in advance ... not just alert me that a transaction is expected ... but let me see the impact of that future transaction.  Rather than tell us how you want us to use Quicken  .. ask us how we would like to use Quicken. Developers do not always know what is "best".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Bill ... you can view reminders in the register.  For a given account, click on the "gear" icon in the upper right of the register .. select "reminders to show in register. You can see the impact of upcoming reminders in your running balance.
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    Quicken, I know there are work arounds. I have to go into my Bill and Income Reminders every month and change the number of days to automatically enter on the 1st for bills that do not come in on the same date every month.

I would like an option to automatically enter on an exact day of the month. In my case the 1st. This would save me time every month. The reason I got Quicken in the 1st place.

I am more than willing to do the programming for you for free if that would help.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    I still have to go through my bills that come out on different days every month such as Social Security and change the number of days before to due date. It would actually automate my monthly entry if you could put add an
    option for "Automatically enter on the 1st of the month" or something to accomplish this manual task every month for several automatic entries .

It would be so very appreciated.

Thanks you,

Bill Pothen
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bill44

Thank you for the response and interest in the idea. In regards to creating a reminder for social security, that option is currently available.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7863666/faq-how-to-record-social-security-income-customize-day-of-month-for-schedule

I hope this helps, and this idea will remain open will hopefully gain more traction.

-Quicken Tyka 
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bill44
    Bill44 Member ✭✭
    I have multiple entries that are paid throughout the month, I have to adjust every month so they will automatically enter into the register on the 1st of the month. I don't want a reminder. I would like it to be automatic each month.