when will quicken deluxe 2019 be available

edited December 2018 in Before you Buy
quicken deluxe when will quicken 2019 come out?

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Victoria,
    Under the "subscription model" which was implemented for Q US with the current release of Q ... there's really no such thing as Q2019.  It's just another iteration of the current product, which is now on a "continuous release" cycle.

SO, go ahead and buy the current product and you'll get all of the releases/updates for the duration of your subscription.

CHECK the length of those subscriptions.  Because Amazon, eBay, etc usually have better deals that does Quicken itself.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't doubt that .the marketing guys will slap a 2019 on the next set of boxes or website, but as NotACPA stated, there really isn't going to be a Q2019, that is different from the current subscription release, you will just be buying a subscription of some designated length of time.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    According to Eric Dunn, Quicken Inc.'s CEO, post on 7/12/2018:
     With the shift to the membership model, we will continue to have new releases of Quicken each fall (Quicken 2019 coming soon!), but the improvements will already have been delivered to Members in our monthly releases (all members will always get the latest version of Quicken,including 2019 when available.) 

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sherlock said:

With the shift to the membership model, we will continue to have new releases of Quicken each fall (Quicken 2019 coming soon!), but the improvements will already have been delivered to Members in our monthly releases (all members will always get the latest version of Quicken,including 2019 when available.) 

That's a pretty confusing statement that you quoted.

On one hand, there WILL be a new release of Quicken each fall...but they've already been delivered in monthly releases to subscribers.  So, for subscribers...nothing will be new.  

What the heck does THAT mean?

And when we get to "Quicken 2020", EVERYONE will be on the subscription model, so basically, everyone will already have the upgraded version.

This is corporate speak at its "finest".  

If Eric Dunn is saying that, yes, the next MAJOR upgrade with new and "exciting" features will be in the fall for Quicken subscribers...then fine.

But if he means that current subscribers already have what's "new", then his statement means nothing.  
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

Welcome to Quicken ;-)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

I don't really see how this is such a puzzling statement for you.

You highlight MAJOR.  Let me ask you something, do you consider the changes between Quicken 2017 and 2018 major?

And the same for most years.  Lots of people complain when there are changes, a lots complain when there isn't the changes they want.  So the term "major" seems to all be in the eye of the beholder.

And to marketing that is trying to drum up sales, new features are MAJOR.

The only real thing that changes what it takes to get those features.
    If you are already on the subscription (and by definition paying for new features) you get them automatically.

If you aren't on the subscription it is just "old school" and you will have to pay up to get them.

"Quicken 2019 sales pitch" isn't really for the people that are on the subscription (other that to say that they will get what they have paid for by the agreement they signed up for).  It is mostly for the people that aren't on the subscription.

But even in 2021 there will be people that might choose to finally upgrade from an older version or come from another company.  And there is always just reminding people of the features they have and they are adding so that they will consider the subscription worth paying for.  After all they can stop paying for it and go "manual" or can go to a competitor.

BTW you notice I said 2021, not 2020.  2020 is still "old school" for Quicken 2017 users that now have to decide if the upgrade is worth it to them.

And also notice one more thing.  Just because the subscription users will get all the new features that are in Quicken 2019, that doesn't necessarily mean they will get them before the Quicken 2019 release.  Some features are most likely in development right now and will be released in that timeframe.
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

@Hopeful1

If none of that makes sense to you, go back to my statement.  Marketing will slap a new number on the box for those new to the product or that that have not bought Quicken under the subscription policy yet.  It is all marketing.

edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

So...if there IS going to be what I call "major" features added, then a new year version would hold true.

For example, adding Online Billers, as flawed as that may be, was a "major" feature added.

If Quicken is adding or improving features and advertised as marketable , that would hold true to the same business model Quicken has used in the past before the subscription.  That being...release a new year version with new and improved features that can be marketed as such.  We have all seen that marketing chart listing "What's New In Quicken". 

This would obviously help marketing Quicken, as you would then see the Quicken ads for "look...here's what's new and improved in Quicken".

But, this also seems to be contradictory to Quicken's subscription plan of NOT releasing "major" features and improvements in the fall, concentrating on getting those ready for the fall and therefore ignoring other issues because resources are being used to "push" new marketed features and improvements in the fall.

What we've been told all along from Mr Dunn is that the new "subscription" policy of Quicken was in part to avoid having to develop and push to market new and improved features in the fall release, thus having a steady stream of development throughout the year.  

If that were truly the case, then "holding back" features until a fall release goes completely against that policy.  

So, to summarize, if Quicken is still going to release "major" features and improvements in the fall, the entire subscription malarky we've been sold is fake news.  

And as to QPW, my remark about Quicken 2017 users and the year 2020, that is the year Quicken 2017 will be terminated for downloads (April 30, 2020) and thus all "active" users will be on Quicken's subscription plan.  I'm fully aware that the Quicken "label" will be "Quicken 2021".

Anyone see my point here?
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

Anyone see my point here?
    Not really.  In Fall 2018, Quicken can put out a box (or website) touting the new 2019 features based on what was in the product in Fall 2017.  Unlike other news, that would not be fake news, it just all depends on what your reference point was. 

I think you are just trying to split hairs.

edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

I think you may have missed my point.

Is Quicken contemplating a "major" update and enhancement of features in the fall or not?

If they are, it goes against their marketing of the subscription plan where they were going to eliminate that fall deadline in lieu of continuous upgrades (not updates) and having to meet that fall deadline for such.

Part of Eric Dunn's justification for the subscription product was to eliminate that fall deadline.  Major upgrades would be pushed out whenever they were finished and refined and tested without having to be "under the gun" to release something new each and every October, presumably for marketing purposes to entice users to upgrade because of the new and improved features.

That was supposed to have been eliminated.  Therefore, if Quicken came up with a new feature, it could be released any time.  And this still could occur, but from a marketing standpoint, it seems in my view that they still want to market and release new marketable features in the fall and call it Quicken 2019. 

And if they still insist on using the fall to bring out some new features in Quicken, then it DOES take away resources from other portions of Quicken that may need to be fixed.  Because there WILL be a deadline to market that (those) new feature(s).  

I don't think that Quicken marketing will include "What's new and improved" items that have already been released from previous versions, including what's already been released in Quicken 2018 during the year. 

Because, that WOULDN'T be anything that's new and improved.  And if they did include that in their marketing materials as "new and improved" in Quicken, that would be misleading marketing too.  

For example, I don't think marketing a "new refined look for online bills" would be a marketable "new feature" in Quicken, as that's already been added.

And if they DiD market that as a new feature, it would be incorrect...because it's not new or improved.

If they wanted to go in that direction, they could add or say anything in their marketing materials.  Heck, they could market as "new" downloading transactions...because it didn't exist in the 1990's versions.  

And no, I'm not trying to split hairs.  I'm trying to wrap my head around the Eric Dunn justification for this entire subscription plan, in regards to product development and implementation.  

Because if there truly is a fall deadline to add new features to Quicken, it goes against part of the rationale for the Quicken subscription.  Which only leaves Quicken two reasons:

1 Get everyone on the same version for easier support

2 Make more money by shortening the time period for termination of downloads.  

It eliminates reason #3, which would have been to develop, add or fix features at ANY time during the year without adding any time constraint for completion and release.  

Did I explain that a bit better?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

I think it is simple:  Quicken will continue to develop new features targeted for the annual fall release and subsequent months fixing the bugs introduced. The difference is users with an active subscription will experience the staged releases.  By the end of April 2020, the new subscription model will have enabled Quicken to only have the current product on each platform to maintain and support thereby reducing costs.  Could this lead to a lower cost, better maintained product with fewer unnecessary new features and bugs?  Time will tell.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

Quicken is NOT planning "major new features" around a calendar change in the name on the box. They used to, but they don't any more. It's as simple as that. The product development teams are no longer slaves to the marketing needs of a new annual release. I've heard this not only from Eric Dunn, but from at least one of the product managers. I think they've been quite clear about this, but for some reason you seem to still be doubting it.

I'm a Quicken Mac user. We're currently on version 5.7.2. When Quicken 2018 shipped last fall, it was version 5.0 -- so there have been 7 larger updates (and numerous smaller fixes) over the course of the last 11 or so months. Since the 5.7 release was in late July, I'd assume a new release will be forthcoming fairly soon, since they tend to come roughly 6 weeks apart (depending on the feature set, number of bugs turned up during testing, time to quash bugs, etc.) That next release might still fall under the Quicken 2018 umbrella, as version 5.8. the next release after that, if they stick to the version numbering they've been following, might be versions 6.0 and be called Quicken 2019. But the key is that the version number and the year on the box is not tied to what features there are in that next release. The change from 5.8 to 6.0 is no more significant that the change from 5.5 to 5.6 to 5.8. The developers did not hold back features from 5.6 and 5.7 and 5.8 in order to be able to deliver a "ta-dah!" moment with 6.0.

So, to try to make it crystal clear: no, Quicken is not aiming to deliver a "major" feature set upgrade when the box changes from Quicken 2018 to Quicken 2019. They've already eliminated the year nomenclature in the software -- the application is just called "Quicken", not "Quicken 2018". At some point, they might remove it from the boxes as well, or they may leave the years on the boxes if they feel it helps from a marketing perspective. But the software will continue to advance incrementally, as new features and fixes become available, without regard to the change in the label on the box. 

QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2018
    Sherlock said:

Quicken is NOT planning "major new features" around a calendar change in the name on the box. They used to, but they don't any more. It's as simple as that. The product development teams are no longer slaves to the marketing needs of a new annual release. I've heard this not only from Eric Dunn, but from at least one of the product managers. I think they've been quite clear about this, but for some reason you seem to still be doubting it.

I'm a Quicken Mac user. We're currently on version 5.7.2. When Quicken 2018 shipped last fall, it was version 5.0 -- so there have been 7 larger updates (and numerous smaller fixes) over the course of the last 11 or so months. Since the 5.7 release was in late July, I'd assume a new release will be forthcoming fairly soon, since they tend to come roughly 6 weeks apart (depending on the feature set, number of bugs turned up during testing, time to quash bugs, etc.) That next release might still fall under the Quicken 2018 umbrella, as version 5.8. the next release after that, if they stick to the version numbering they've been following, might be versions 6.0 and be called Quicken 2019. But the key is that the version number and the year on the box is not tied to what features there are in that next release. The change from 5.8 to 6.0 is no more significant that the change from 5.5 to 5.6 to 5.8. The developers did not hold back features from 5.6 and 5.7 and 5.8 in order to be able to deliver a "ta-dah!" moment with 6.0.

So, to try to make it crystal clear: no, Quicken is not aiming to deliver a "major" feature set upgrade when the box changes from Quicken 2018 to Quicken 2019. They've already eliminated the year nomenclature in the software -- the application is just called "Quicken", not "Quicken 2018". At some point, they might remove it from the boxes as well, or they may leave the years on the boxes if they feel it helps from a marketing perspective. But the software will continue to advance incrementally, as new features and fixes become available, without regard to the change in the label on the box. 

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

Is Quicken contemplating a "major" update and enhancement of features in the fall or not?
    Yes they are (my guess).

Of course back to the definition of "major", yours and theirs might be completely different.

And the people on the subscription will get them when they come out.  This is no different than say the people that are on the Microsoft Office 365 subscription.  You have "Outlook 2016" and there will be a "Outlook 2018", but to someone on the Office 365 subscription it will just be the "next update" of which they had already been getting every couple of months.  It will just be a more "major" release.  To someone like me that uses 1/100 of those features I doubt anything in Microsoft Office will be "major" to me.

And no, I'm not trying to split hairs.  I'm trying to wrap my head around the Eric Dunn justification for this entire subscription plan, in regards to product development and implementation.  
    Justifying the subscription plan is EASY.  Justifying it to you might be very hard though.

Quicken Inc is a business, and as such the justifications are for the business.
    Now that does tie into the customers because without them you have no business, but it is still a business justification.
    1. Constant revenue.
    2. Much less duplicate of development on different branches/versions of Quicken.
    3. Less training and support costs because they only need to know what the current version is now doing.
    4. Documentation costs for the same reason (think of the website and such).
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

BTW since it looks like I stated something different on the "major" than the others have, let me clarify what I mean.

I have no idea whatsoever if what they will release at that time you will call major.
    I do believe though that whatever they release their marketing will call it major.

And I want to point out one justification that I left out of my list.
    1. The absence of "Major" changes is a good thing.  Major changes imply lots of new code and interactions for users.  Yes that can be a good thing, but it is also the source of the "big bang" problem of yearly releases.  From a customer standpoint it is usually much better to put out a "minor" feature and then refine it into a "major" feature over time.
    edited December 2018
    Poor Victoria.  Getting all of this philosophy after asking a simple question.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

BTW they have already announced a "major feature" that will most likely come out in that timeframe.  Quicken Web (a web interface on the existing Quicken Cloud data).
    edited September 2018
    Sherlock said:

I don't know whether this is being timed to release at the same time as the marketing change to Quicken 2019; it seems logical. I'd only note that this is a new service from the team that develops the mobile product -- it is not something the Mac development team or Windows development team have had to create and either hold back for, or rush the release of because of, the marketing deadline of years past. 
  • KimKim Member
    edited December 2018
    The problem I see if that we are trying to convert data for one client from Quicken to Quickbooks and the QB site says  we need Quicken 2019 to do that.  How do we know if we have Quicken 2019 then if we have the desktop version?  :)

• You can skip using the Quicken Converter and convert directly to QuickBooks using the Conversion Utility, if you have a version of Quicken that is a parallel version of QuickBooks Desktop (e.g., Quicken 2019 to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2019)."
    edited October 2018
    Kim said:

The problem I see if that we are trying to convert data for one client from Quicken to Quickbooks and the QB site says  we need Quicken 2019 to do that.  How do we know if we have Quicken 2019 then if we have the desktop version?  :)

• You can skip using the Quicken Converter and convert directly to QuickBooks using the Conversion Utility, if you have a version of Quicken that is a parallel version of QuickBooks Desktop (e.g., Quicken 2019 to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2019)."
    This is probably a question better asked on an Intuit Quickbooks forum.

Quicken 2019, for both Mac and Windows products, was ushered in with only small bug-fix releases, not major changes like in the pre-subscription days. I can't imagine why Quickbooks would convert a Quicken 2019 data file but not a Quicken 2018 data file, since there was no change to the database structure. But Quickbooks support would need to answer that definitively.

As for Quicken 2019, it is really just a change of the label on the box, a marketing change rather than a technological one. How do you know if you have it? If you have a current Quicken subscription, and you've downloaded an update since the start of October, you have Quicken 2019. (Go to About Quicken to see that it shows Quicken 2019.) For Mac users, this happened with the version 5.8.1 update; for Windows users, it's version 27.1.14.23 (R14.23). 
  • John GittingsJohn Gittings Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Kim said:

Who owns quickbooks?
    edited October 2018
    Kim said:

Quickbooks is owned by Intuit. Quicken is a completely separate product, owned by a different company. (They were once both owned by Intuit, but were never closely linked beyond the first five characters in their names.)
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Kim said:

QuickBooks Support

https://community.intuit.com/products...
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Kim said:

Just for clarity, Quicken was Intuit's first product. But over 2 years ago, they spun off the product into a separate company and sold it to H.I.G. Capital. But QuickBooks and Quicken were always separate and different products (though they may have shared some UI similarities due to being developed by the same company originally).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Emily LynEmily Lyn Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    So is that why the "2019" version I just purchased says 2018 when I open it? 

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

Where does it say "2018"?

The "subscription version of Quicken" (2018/2019 US and 2017/2018 Canadian) have dropped putting the number in either the title or the Desktop shortcut.

If you have 2018 in the title it is most likely just your data file name that has that in it.

To check what version you have select Help -> About Quicken

This is the only place Quicken has the "year" any more.  And the year just changed when a given patch was installed.  It doesn't signify a big bang new release any more.
    edited November 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

when i open Q, it says "Quicken Deluxe 2018" in upper left corner. I checked, and the file name in my computer program files is simply Quicken.  But you're right, when i click on Help, About Q, it shows 2019. Weird. Oh well, thank you for your help, QPW.
    edited November 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

Emily, what Release/Build of Quicken are you running?  Your issue is, probably, resolved in the later versions.

Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

And, my Title Bar, like QPW's, shows no date .... but the product name.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

@Emily Lyn, can you post a screenshot of what you are looking at?
    edited November 2018
    Emily Lyn said:

Don't know how to do screen shot. It sounds like its ok, tho, bcs when i went to Help - About Quicken - it indicated that I have version 2019. Maybe the date I'm showing is the date of my backup file, as I just updated from 2016
This discussion has been closed.