Unable to reconnect to PSECU after they changed to Express Web Connect

Running Windows 2016 Deluxe version R18.2 Build 25.1.18.2 on Windows 10

PSECU changed their Quicken download method to Express Web Connect in mid August. I was able to reconnect at that time. Then they did major system work over Labor Day weekend. After on-line banking was back up I was unable to connect to download. I disconnected my accounts and am unable to reconnect. The Activation processes finds my accounts but they all show "Unknown Type" and the activation fails.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You may want to consider attempting Arctic Hare's sledgehammer approach:

Most Express Web Connect connectivity issues can be resolved (permanently) by executing the procedure below. It is important that you follow procedure precisely. Don't skip steps or use alternate methods.Please post (detailed) results.

To start, as a diagnostic test, create a new Quicken file and try to set up your Express Web Connect downloads in the newly created file. If you can successfully download via EWC into the new file (and maintain the correct currency setting for all affected accounts), then deactivate the online connections in the test file and go back to your old/original file and complete the following procedure, being careful to follow it exactly and not skip any steps. If you were able to download into the new file, executing the following procedure will likely resolve your downloading issues. 

1. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Go into Tools-->Account List
    4. For all active Express Web Connect (EWC) connections, including Hidden accounts, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate". Before closing each Account Details dialogue box, delete the financial institution name and account number from the General tab. Note: you do not have to deactivate Direct Connect or Web Connect connections; leave those activated.
    5. Once you are done deactivating all EWC connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button or the "UPDATE ACCOUNTS" button (it is labelled differently between versions). [Note: some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. If this applies to you, contact Quicken tech support for a method to deactivate the EWC connected mortgage]
    6. Close Quicken [don't skip this step]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    8. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    9. Open the newly created copy;
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c" or anything starting with "TEMP", which don't appear in your account list or category list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup.
    11. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    12. Again, open the newly created file.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    14. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    15. Again, open the newly created file.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to the Online Centre. Hold the Ctrl+Shift+F3 keys and click Contact Info in the Online Center screen. This will bring up a list of all FI profiles contained in the data file. There should be no FI's in that list other than those associated with direct connect connections; i.e. if you use Express Web Connect or Web Connect to connect to a particular FI, then that FI should not appear in this list. If any FIs for which you use WC or EWC do show up, delete them from this list because it may help clear any invalid profiles from your data file. 
    18. Close Quicken.
    19. Reopen Quicken.
    20. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    21. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the link account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    22. Once the setup process completes, you'll probably be back up and running
    23. You may have duplicate transactions, which you can accept into the register (if not accepting automatically) and delete
    Please post back with detailed results.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Joe MagidJoe Magid Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I'll give it a try (either later tonight or tomorrow - too long in front of the computer today...) and let you know how I make out. Appreciate the instructions.
  • Mark MearsMark Mears Member
    edited September 2018
    I went thru all the steps (about 45 minutes) and all looked good.  Things were being erased and cleared - but still not able to connect to PSECU.
     I can add all other online accounts back - just not PSECU.
    edited October 2018
    I've performed the steps as instructed. There were no account related errors on the first validation. I ran a second validation anyway. No dice - still get Uknown Type for all accounts found.
    edited September 2018
    Joe Magid said:

I've performed the steps as instructed. There were no account related errors on the first validation. I ran a second validation anyway. No dice - still get Uknown Type for all accounts found.

Just to confirm, you were able to successfully download the PSECU accounts via EWC into the new file (and maintain the correct currency setting for all affected accounts) when you performed the diagnostic test, correct?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited September 2018
    Joe Magid said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "diagnostic test". I was able to reconnect PayPal  EWC without issue. PSECU finds all of my accounts, but it doesn't know what type they are and cannot complete the last step of linking to existing accounts (or adding new ones).

My inclination is to believe that the issue is on PSECU's side of things. Something they did when they updated their systems over the Labor Day weekend seems to have broken EWC.
    edited September 2018
    Joe Magid said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "diagnostic test".
    The instructions asked you to perform a "diagnostic test" before beginning the attempt to fix the issue associated with your datafile.  You were asked to create a new datafile to verify you are able to perform all the account downloads in the new datafile.  The purpose of the test is to determine if the issue is specific to the original datafile.   If the test fails, there is no point to proceeding with the subsequent instructions and Quicken Support needs to be contacted: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited September 2018
    I called support, and after redoing much of the steps above, including a super validate file (File/File Operations/Validate and Repair while holding down <ctrl><shift>), it was determined that the issue is with the bank and the appropriate support team would be working with PSECU to address the issue.
    edited September 2018
    Joe Magid said:

Sorry, I did sort of miss that buried at the top. I did that test. Failed for my bank, succeeded for PayPal. Clearly, as per below, an issue between the bank and Quicken.
  • Mary DavisMary Davis Member
    edited September 2018
    Has PSECU resolved this issue yet?  I have spent numerous hours on the phone with them and Quicken since this reconnect issue started with no positive results.  It has been a week since I last spoke to them and they are each told me its the others software :(
    edited January 8

Has PSECU resolved this issue yet?  I have spent numerous hours on the phone with them and Quicken since this reconnect issue started with no positive results.  It has been a week since I last spoke to them and they are each told me its the others software :(

Not to my knowledge Mary. I have not heard from either Quicken or PSECU after my prior calls. I am as certain as I can be without knowing the inner workings of the interface that the problem is PSECU's. I am an experienced IT professional who has set up more than a few data interfaces, so my certainty is not without justification. I will have to call them when I can carve out some time to work up the chain until I get someone willing to take responsibility. It is quite a pain to not have it working.

If you are able to call PSECU, it would be great if you could let them know that you've been in touch with other customers, including an experienced IT guy. The fact that everything worked fine prior to their Labor Day upgrade and stopped working thereafter is a pretty clear indicator that they broke something on their side of things.
  • Neil MatzNeil Matz Member
    edited September 2018
    I too have had nothing but issues since the switch over.  Have to reset account almost every update, my vehicle loan doesn't update, Had to abandon my checking history and let it create a new one just to connect.  
    edited November 2018
    Since I tried everything else I also tried creating a completely new account.  When it got to the part of looking for the account it again came up with the list, type unknown, ignore(not a drop down or choice).  I also, with tech support, deleted an account (charge card) to see if it would pick it up and it was the same,the list, type unknown, ignore.  When I imported a prevously saved copy so I could have my account back it will not reactivate it.  I am not a complete novice with tech here but I do think that somewhere in the system it might be blocking it after so many attempts.  I have been working on this on and off for weeks!

edited September 2018
    I just got off the phone with a manager in PSECU's call center. It seems
    their IT folks were skeptical that there was an issue, but she finally
    convinced them it wasn't working on Friday. They called Quicken who
    confirmed it from their end (no idea why Quicken didn't call their PSECU
    contact last week...). PSECU will be making a firewall change sometime
    today, so hopefully it will be working tomorrow. 
    edited September 2018
    PSECU's issue appears to be resolved. I was able to properly connect, retrieve my accounts, link and load/reconcile transactions in my accounts.
    edited September 2018
    I can't wait to get home and try it.....crossing my fingers I am able to as well!
  • romi.madiaromi.madia Member
    edited October 2018
    MY PSECU account was working and as of this week, unable to connect to financial institution.  I have done all the above suggestions priot to get it to work and its doing it again.  Help.  I don't have hours to spend fixing this again
  • Chuck ClemensChuck Clemens Member
    edited November 2018
    My PSECU account has been working on and off since the conversion to express connect.  Currently it is not working and numerous attempts to correct have failed.  I keep resetting my accounts and when they seem to work properly, only to have the problem return the next day when I attempt to download.  I too have been going through these problems since the conversion. 
    edited November 2018
    Romi & Chuck - I think the correct course of action is to call PSECU
    (800) 237-7328 ext. 3838 and report each time there is an issue. I
    believe this is their technical customer support desk. They will
    subsequently bring the issue to the attention of the IT department who
    needs to address the issue(s).

Mine was working fine until a
    couple or 3 days ago, I'm now getting a password error, which I know is
    not the case as I have no problem logging into the PSECU website... I
    need to all too!
    edited November 2018
    Update on the situation.

I ended up on the phone with Quicken
    support who had me disconnect and reconnect my accounts (major PITA).
    They told me that when a bank updates its security protocols and fails
    to notify Quicken (so they can pull down the update to then update on
    our install when we next connect), this is the only way to fix the
    problem. I'm not sure if a more simple reset would have fixed the issue,
    but if it crops up again, I will try that first.

Also, there are now somewhat useful troubleshooting tips at www.psecu/quicken

I
    did call PSECU to pass along the information from Quicken with the hope
    that their IT shop will be more diligent in notifying Quicken when
    there are security protocol updates.
  • Sandy KurtzSandy Kurtz Member
    edited December 2018
    Come on, PSECU, get it together and help your customers because I am at my wit's end with this problem! Quicken support has been great but I can't say the same for PSECU. I've called, talked with supervisors, heard promises of call backs, but nothing has been fixed. I ended up having to create a whole new data file, recreating all my accounts, setting up paychecks, etc. This worked for a while but as of today I'm having all of the same earlier errors--not downloading my accounts and changing the attributes for my loan. I'm seriously considering changing to another credit union that can actually handle EBC.
  • edited November 2018

Come on, PSECU, get it together and help your customers because I am at my wit's end with this problem! Quicken support has been great but I can't say the same for PSECU. I've called, talked with supervisors, heard promises of call backs, but nothing has been fixed. I ended up having to create a whole new data file, recreating all my accounts, setting up paychecks, etc. This worked for a while but as of today I'm having all of the same earlier errors--not downloading my accounts and changing the attributes for my loan. I'm seriously considering changing to another credit union that can actually handle EBC.

This transition was terrible.  I'm in another online chat, yet again, dealing with this stupid web connect.  PSECU always tells you to contact Quicken.  PSECU does not let you talk to their IT directly.  You get just Customer Support.
  • edited November 2018
    Joe Magid said:

Romi & Chuck - I think the correct course of action is to call PSECU
    (800) 237-7328 ext. 3838 and report each time there is an issue. I
    believe this is their technical customer support desk. They will
    subsequently bring the issue to the attention of the IT department who
    needs to address the issue(s).

Mine was working fine until a
    couple or 3 days ago, I'm now getting a password error, which I know is
    not the case as I have no problem logging into the PSECU website... I
    need to all too!

Every time I contact PSECU, their IT department, through their customer service department, always tells me to contact Quicken.  It is frustrating to never hear directly from PSECU.  We are members there.  We should have accountability from them.
  • Sarah HopkinsSarah Hopkins Member
    edited November 2018

Everything was FINALLY (mostly) working for me until 5-6 days ago and now NOTHING is working. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the accounts and now Quicken can't find any PSECU accounts.
    edited November 2018

Sarah - I think you need to call Quicken Support at (650) 250-1900 to run you through the steps to reset internal settings so it can properly find the accounts.

Chris - I believe PSECU is causing the issue with some kind of maintenance or other action they are taking, but Quicken support has to help you through fixing it once it's busted on the Quicken client end.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Here is another approach you can try. We recently learned something new about Express Web Connect.

Instead of Disconnect/Reconnect, try Disconnect/Add Account. That is, disconnect all your PSECU accounts. Then do Tools > Add Account and go through the motions of adding one of your PSECU accounts. Quicken should discover all your PSECU accounts and allow you to link them to your existing Quicken accounts. In the process, it should update the account info on Quicken's EWC server because of the Add Account action.

I don't use PSECU, so can't try this. Good luck.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • edited November 2018

Joe - I was directed here by Quicken Chat to do the escalation.  Unfortunately, the Validate routine described found issues in my back up going all the way back to September.  I am sure these data integrity issues were introduced after another round of PSECU-QUICKEN support.  But if PSECU is going to take actions which render Quicken unusable, they have a responsibility to alert Quicken and the credit union's membership if at all possible.  (I realize this is another issue, but I don't understand why Quicken doesn't have the tools to correct an issue in a corrupted file instead of telling me to start new.  I'd be better off with a paper register or Excel if I have to start new every few months.  If the data make sense on the front end, then the back end should be correctable to match the front end.)
    edited November 2018

Chris - I would not use chat support. I expect that is off-shored and less competent than the people staffing the phone. I have not experienced any integrity issues caused by the connection issues. That doesn't mean when you run Super Validate it won't find problems - I had to fix some paycheck transactions that lost their splits, but I don't think the downloads had anything to do with it. The download either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it's not putting anything into the data files.

Even if you have a lot of integrity issues, if they are fixable one-by-one, that might be a bullet worth biting and then get on the phone with support and let them guide you through the steps to reset whatever it is that is getting out of synch and stopping the connection from working.
  • edited November 2018

Joe - I used chat support on Tuesday and phone support Wednesday.  Phone support was not good either.  I could hear every technician in the room reverberating through the microphone of my representative.  After an hour or so, I was told to start a new data file (again).  If there is a systematic way to use super validate (we just used validate this week) to get the file back in shape, I don't know what that is.  No one from Quicken has taken the time to go through this with me.  Chris
    edited November 2018

If you hold down the shift and Ctrl keys when you select Validate and Repair (File > File operations) it will give you the option to do a Super validation. I don't know that it will fix your issues, but can't hurt to try.

FWIW, I have over 30 years worth of data in my Quicken File (yeah, I should do year end copy and truncate at some intermediate point...), so lots of opportunities for it to get messed up, but it hasn't.
This discussion has been closed.