Upgrade now or later? Win2016 Premier to a subscription .

PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Before you Buy
Way back when the good deals were available I purchased a 2yr+3mo Deluxe "subscription"  retail box package at a substantial discount.

Currently I'm a pretty happy QW 2016 user whose "Plan" expires Mar 2019.

I use Quicken for money tracking and investment management and I would like to become more familiar with planning/budgeting.

I'm wondering if there have been enough improvement/upgrades to make it worthwhile to upgrade now or to let my current "Plan" run to expiration and then "Subscribe"?

Opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited September 2018
    I did the same.  I'm waiting until April 2020 for my Quicken 2017 to terminate downloads.

So far, it seems almost every Quicken 2018 update gets pulled because there are issues.  
  • Hopeful1Hopeful1 Member
    edited September 2018
    I did the same.  I'm waiting until April 2020 for my Quicken 2017 to terminate downloads.

So far, it seems almost every Quicken 2018 update gets pulled because there are issues.  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @PutterFlutters

You actually have until 4/30/2019:

I would wait until mid-March 2019 and activate your subscription then, no need to waste too much time on overlap and Quicken will have time to fix more things.  When you do activate, only patch to the release that seems the most stable using the releases at: Quicken Patches

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

I would wait until mid-March 2019 and activate your subscription then, no need to waste too much time on overlap and Quicken will have time to fix more things.  When you do activate, only patch to the release that seems the most stable using the releases at: Quicken Patches

I thought so to but under MY ACCOUNT @ quicken.com

Thanks....:-)
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

That does not look like the user account information for a user with only QW2016.

Not shown in your screenshot are the words "PLAN DETAILS" (at the left), which indicates that Q believes that you have "Subscription Quicken" that expires on 3/9/2019.  There is no "PLAN DETAILS" shown for pre-subscription versions of Quicken.

By chance have you participated in Quicken Beta Testing with the same Quicken ID?

edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

That was just a quick text cut and paste...here is a screen shot

Nope on the Beta Testing.... I break things too easily...:-)
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

That screenshot indicates that you own a subscription that it sounds like you are not using.  The fact that you can download either QW or QM and/or redeem the DropBox offer are other indicators that it is subscription Q.  Neither of those features are available to QW2016 users.

It would not appear that you have activated your 24+3 month subscription purchase yet.

Your QW2016 is good until 4/30/2019 though.

edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

AH HA!!!
    "I THINK" (and that usually hurts AND gets me in trouble).... I've found out what is has happened.

In 2016 I purchased Quicken 2016 Premiere from INTUIT 

Later from QUICKEN I downloaded/evaluated/returned

I called QUICKEN support just now and was told that QUICKEN couldn't verify that the Quicken Deluxe 2016 was purchased in 2016 and since that information was not passed during the transition Intuit > Quicken.  If the support folks of Quicken could see what I see on THEIR website I bet this would solved.

Quicken I've talked to can't seem to connect the dots that show that I "returned??" both of the 2018 downloads and the only product I am using is Quicken Premier 2016 which should discontinue/expire April 30th 2019 according to:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

Now all this hubbub is about 53 days of usage I will probably not get.

I know there are real Quicken folks here...lurking...maybe one will take pity on me :-)

after all at current prices....53 days is worth....   

53days x  $0.123260273972603 /day =  $6.53

Probably wouldn't cover a Grande at Starbucks.  (I get free senior coffee at McDonalds . :-) 

Anyone else reading this far recognize I might have too much time on my hands?  :-)

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

I don't see why your think you won't get those 53 days.

Here is how I see it.
    You bought Quicken 2016, its online support will expire at the end of April 2019.
    You bought Quicken 2018, and returned it.  Quicken Inc's system isn't "smart" enough to actually cancel the the subscription.

So in effect you could use Quicken 2018 right now until March 9, 2019 for free.

On March 9, 2018 if you are using Quicken 2016 you can continue to do so until the end of April 2019.  If you are using Quicken 2018 at that time you could switch back to Quicken 2016 to get the 53 days, and then activate your new subscription for use of Quicken 2018 after the end of April.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

Note, that Quicken 2016 can read a 2018/2017 data file.
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

BIG :-)

Proverbs 16:27-29 TLB - Idle hands are the devil's workshop . 

Guess we'll see :-)

P.S. The quote's source is Google of course.... :-)

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

Hello Putterflutters,

I took the liberty of doing some research and hopefully can clear up some of this confusion.

The information you are seeing in the My Account page at www.quicken.com is for a previously purchased subscription through www.quicken.com that has been cancelled and refunded. 

In looking through the full history of your account,  a subscription for Quicken 2018 was purchased originally at the end of Oct. in 2017 then cancelled and refunded.

A second www.quicken.com purchase was made on 03/09/18 that has been cancelled and refunded (this is the 3/9/18 - 3/9/19 terms visible in the My Account) and according to our database records there is not an active subscription associated with your Quicken ID.

When you are ready to upgrade and use the Retail Purchased Quicken 2018 CD to install, you will be prompted to enter an Activation Code.  Once the Activation Code has been entered,  the retail purchased subscription terms are activated and the My Account section will update to reflect the new terms, ensuring you receive the full 2 years and 3 months subscription period.

I hope this information helps to clarify the current status of your account and how retail purchased subscriptions work but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns that we may assist with on this.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

Hmm interesting.  What is displayed really should reflect that there isn't an active subscription.
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

ALL HAIL SARAH!!!!  :-)
    Thank you... :-)
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

Hi QPW,

I absolutely agree and am looking further into this.

Thanks!

Sarah
    edited September 2018
    splasher said:

@PutterFlutters

Hi PutterFlutters,

You are very welcome :)

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.