NET framework 4.6.1, Locked out!

Did a required Quicken update and now Quicken Locked me out.  Requires NET Framework 4.6.1 to continue.  I have Q 2016 Premier on Win 7 SP1 64bit with NET Framework 4.5.2 installed.  Microsoft won't let me install 4.6.1 because it is for 32 bit system.  This is ridiculous !     PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Did you try this:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (Web Installer) for Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981

• Gary FortmanGary Fortman Member
    edited September 2018
    Why did you update? They are never “required “.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The installer should have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions in it and install the one needed based on your system.  You might try the latest .Net version install:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-7
  • marchandstermarchandster Member
    edited September 2018

As a non-expert user, when I see a message that says I should update in order to proceed, I tend to do it.  What I don't expect is for the install to break my existing version and lock me out. or to have to go exploring how to install some functionality that I don't understand.  This type of experience is becoming common, in my experience.
  • Gary FortmanGary Fortman Member
    edited September 2018

If you want to be a “beta tester”, please continue as you are doing. If your current system is working, why would you upgrade? Your call.
  • FredFred Member
    edited October 2018
    HAs this been answered?  I have same problem and when I try to download the .NET Framework is tells me it is not supported by my system.  Still can't access Quicke
  • DRMickDRMick Member
    edited October 2018
    As far as I know Quicken has still not explained why they require this update and lock you out when you try.  It is unreasonable for them to require you to go to another provider to allow you access to their software that you bought. You can try their support but they are only available during business hours. Let us know what happens. 
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quicken for Windows is built on Microsoft's .NET Framework. Newer versions of Quicken require newer versions of .Net.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Fred said:

HAs this been answered?  I have same problem and when I try to download the .NET Framework is tells me it is not supported by my system.  Still can't access Quicke

@Fred provided you are on Windows 8 or newer the .Net 4.6.1 should be compatible with your system.

If it is complaining about installing it there isn't much anyone here can tell you.
    You need to contact Microsoft or use one of their forums or use other forums that help people with Windows problems.

This isn't a Quicken problem, it is a Windows .Net install problem.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    DRMick said:

As far as I know Quicken has still not explained why they require this update and lock you out when you try.  It is unreasonable for them to require you to go to another provider to allow you access to their software that you bought. You can try their support but they are only available during business hours. Let us know what happens. 

Under normal circumstances the install would kick of off the .Net install if needed.

Something is wrong with your and Fred's machines, and that install isn't happening.
    And it becomes clearer what the problem is when Fred tried the manual install.

For some reason it was rejected on his machine.  Well if you can't install it manually then clearly Quicken wouldn't be able to install it automatically.

It also very normal that software is built on "libraries" and that those libraries need to be updated from time to time.  If for no other reason, to keep up with security, and for bug fixes.
  • FredFred Member
    edited December 2018
    I have tried everything and cannot get Service Pack 1 to load onto my Windows 7.  I have gone through all of the suggestions on the Microsoft boards.  Nothing works.  I'm MANY, MANY hours into this now.  Quicken did refund my money for the '19 purchase.
    If I just buy and download Windows 10 do you think that will solve my problem?  Assuming IT will download onto my computer.  I'm just tired of wasting time on this.
    Thanks for all of the help.

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Fred said:

I have tried everything and cannot get Service Pack 1 to load onto my Windows 7.  I have gone through all of the suggestions on the Microsoft boards.  Nothing works.  I'm MANY, MANY hours into this now.  Quicken did refund my money for the '19 purchase.
    If I just buy and download Windows 10 do you think that will solve my problem?  Assuming IT will download onto my computer.  I'm just tired of wasting time on this.
    Thanks for all of the help.

Upgrading to Win 10 is very likely to resolve this issue.
    edited October 2018
  • FredFred Member
    edited October 2018
    Well I've got Windows 10 now.  Everything works great. Except......

Now when I try to open Quicken I get a box..

qw.exe. - Application Error

The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).  Click OK to close the application

Back to square 1....
    edited October 2018
    Did you fully update Windows 10? Uninstall and reinstall Quicken.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops
    at startup?

Please
    try this:

Close
    Quicken.

Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename
    your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to
    QdataX.QDF

Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having
    done that start Quicken as usual.

If
    Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply
    load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has
    options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point
      without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu
        bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file
        and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to
      start at all,
      • When done, reboot your
        computer and then reinstall Quicken from your CD or saved downloaded
        installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch
        release level.

This discussion has been closed.