Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Full Category is not showing on reports in Quicken Premier 2018 for Mac, Version 5.8.0

Geo H
Geo H Member ✭✭
Even though the Category:Subcategory appears on the Transaction screen, only the Subcategory field is displayed on a report when the Category column is selected.

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hello Geo, appreciate your questions.

Pictures speak louder than words.

Can you please provide a screen shot of this issue: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-...

Thank you in advance for your information.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    If you are referring to the New Report > Transaction Report, sorted by other than Category... I concur. It does not seem to follow the setting in preferences for display of long or short category names. I suggest you use menu Help > Report a Problem to report this. I will too.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

• Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

• Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks RickO, I have reported the problem and here is the screen shot showing the issues Harold
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Hello Geo, appreciate your questions.

Pictures speak louder than words.

Can you please provide a screen shot of this issue: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-...

Thank you in advance for your information.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

I have posted the screen shot.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Geo H said:

Thanks RickO, I have reported the problem and here is the screen shot showing the issues Harold

Thank you Geo for providing the screen shot and for providing the information to Quicken.

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    RickO said:

If you are referring to the New Report > Transaction Report, sorted by other than Category... I concur. It does not seem to follow the setting in preferences for display of long or short category names. I suggest you use menu Help > Report a Problem to report this. I will too.

I have filed a Problem Report RickO, thanks.
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    I am told that a fix for this is in the works, coming out later. At that time, the reports will honor the short/long category name setting in preferences.
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Any idea when later is?  And thanks for the update.
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Geo H said:

I'm going to guess within a couple months or so, but that's purely a guess.
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Geo H said:

QH, did you email me about a solution?
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    The previous post in this thread (which has been removed) is not from Quicken. DO NOT call the number posted. It is a scam.
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Geo H said:

I got your warning on the scam.  I was suspicious early on, from the English used.  I called the number but got no answer.  An hour later I got 3 calls from other numbers on my answering machine, which I ignored.  How does this happen in the Community?  It came from the first person to respond to my issue "Quicken Harold".
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    Geo H said:

Geo... The scammers are making user names that look like Quicken employees but are not. Basically scam clones. Quicken is working on ways to eliminate this scourge.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Geo H said:

:-\   not seeing that.... There are several things that are SUPER easy to implement that Quicken has not bothered to do... they would not necessarily eliminate the problem but at least provide ways of a heads-up to forum users as warnings... but alas not of these super easy solutions are being used, even as a stop-gap measure...
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

Just updated to Quicken 2019 for Mac.  Full/Long Category still not showing up.
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just updated to Quicken for Mac 2019.  Long Category still not being reported correctly; just the Subcategory
  • RickO
    edited October 2018
    Geo H said:

Just updated to Quicken for Mac 2019.  Long Category still not being reported correctly; just the Subcategory

The year designation on QMac really doesn't mean anything any more, now that we're on the subscription plan. It's purely a branding thing now and doesn't reflect any expectations for any major changes from one year to the next.

The 5.8.1 release (QM2019) was a minor update to 5.8.0 (QM2018). We might have to wait for 5.9.x to be released to see this fix implemented. 

Also, please don't post the same thing multiple times in one thread.
  • RickO
    edited October 2018
    RickO said:

See below.
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Geo H said:

RickO,  I'm afraid I don't understand the concept of a thread.  I'm totally new to this way of communicating and not sure where to put my comments and to whom I may be commenting to.  
  • RickO
    edited October 2018
    Geo H said:

Geo,

No problem... a thread just means a series of posts (comments and replies) as you are reading here. It is frowned upon to post the same thing multiple times, which it looked like you had done. However, it may have just been a glitch with the forum where you posted once but it appeared multiple times. No worries.

Hopefully we'll see the fix for your original issue about long category names in reports in the 5.9.x release. Watch for it to be mentioned in the release notes.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Geo H said:

So any comment/reply ANYWHERE in this entire thread means that an e-mail notification will go out to all that are FOLLOWING this thread (if you click on the # beside the FOLLOW/UNFOLLOW box at the top, you will see a list of all the FOLLOWERS, aka subscribers to thsi specific thread).

As for the release notes, you can see them either when you try to download an update when it becomes available, you may see them posted as a new announcement thread in this forum, or you can follow them here: Subscription Release of Quicken

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Geo H said:

Just updated to 5.9.1 and I still don't see a fix.  Will I need to do something to existing reports to show fix or should it just work?  
  • RickO
    edited December 2018
    Geo H said:

I don't think it's fixed yet. Didn't see it in the release notes.
  • Geo H
    Geo H Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Geo H said:

Will it be that specific in the upgrade notes?
  • RickO
    edited December 2018
    Geo H said:

Generally speaking, fixes such as this are listed in the Quality Improvement section of the release notes. I can't promise that every single fix is always listed, though I would think this one would be sufficiently important to list.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Geo H said:

So it's 2019 and I have to run a ton of reports but I'm just learning there is no way to run a category report??? Is that right? VERY frustrating!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Geo H said:

Go to Reports > New Reports.

Customize away. 

For over 99% of my reports, I use New Reports and shy away from any of the stock Quicken "old style" reports.  The New Reports are very flexible regarding customization options and will give you a category report.

Just a note however...whenever you create a New Report it automatically saves to the list of reports. 
This discussion has been closed.