Amounts getting changed when changing payee name (Win 2018 12.15)

Using Windows Quicken 2018 R12.15

I just noticed that my Charge / Payment amounts are getting changed when I change the Payee to a name that is in memorized payees list that has a amount tied to it. I have never seen this occur before. It used to only change the Name and Category if it was blank. Now it is overriding the entire transaction with the memorized transaction and overriding the amount which does not make sense if it is a downloaded transaction. When changing a downloaded transaction Payee it also changes the transaction to uncleared since it has over ridden the original transaction completely.

I only recently noticed it after my online balance started not matching and now I have to reconcile everything over again.

Quicken support recommendations were not helpful. I did validate file (no error), restart Quicken, (no change), reinstall mondo patch (was already on that version and no change).

I want to make sure it is not my install causing the problem and that this is actually a change in Quicken functionality, is anyone else noticing this?? Seems like a big oversight if so.

Comments

• MICHAEL FIRESTEINMICHAEL FIRESTEIN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    yes i've noticed it for years.  . i use auto rename to avoid this.  manual rename - if its in the memorized payee list it will change to last value.    i can not find an option so that there is no amount associated with memorized payees.  which ids my preferred choice because most of the time the amounts are different.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    I noticed this also. This is a new "feature",  it has not always been this way.

Everyone who downloads "Check" as the payee from their bank is in for a rude awakening when they try to change it like they have in the past using the QuickFill pull-down menu.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yes this is new and I am also seeing it.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just ran into the same problem.
  • david20david20 Member
    edited October 2018
    I want to note that I hadn't changed any preferences or options before noticing this.
    I seem to remember the amount and category data pull in IF I was creating a NEW transaction with a memorized Payee, but I've never seen it change on an existing transaction if those fields were already filled in.

As a temporary workaround I have disabled the setting "Preferences > Data entry and Quickfill > Data entry > Recall memorized payees (requires automatic completion)" which seems to allow the memorized payee name to be entered, but doesn't fill in the Category automatically like it used to.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    david20 said:

I want to note that I hadn't changed any preferences or options before noticing this.
    I seem to remember the amount and category data pull in IF I was creating a NEW transaction with a memorized Payee, but I've never seen it change on an existing transaction if those fields were already filled in.

As a temporary workaround I have disabled the setting "Preferences > Data entry and Quickfill > Data entry > Recall memorized payees (requires automatic completion)" which seems to allow the memorized payee name to be entered, but doesn't fill in the Category automatically like it used to.

Just so people know another workaround has been pointed out.  If you edit the memorized payee and remove the amount, and then lock it, it will not change the amount when entered.

Of course it will also mean that if you pull up a memorized payee for a manual entry it would fill in the last amount you entered.  But hopefully there isn't many uses like that were the two uses overlap.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    david20 said:

Forget that!  I just tried it and it didn't work.

I tried it on a reconciled transaction and not only did it zero the amount, it also set the cleared state to uncleared.
  • david20david20 Member
    edited September 2018
    david20 said:

I had tried a blank amount, but when saving it to the Memorized Payee, it was changed to 0.00 and the transaction was also changed to 0.00 when trying to use it. Maybe I did something different?
    edited September 2018

yes i've noticed it for years.  . i use auto rename to avoid this.  manual rename - if its in the memorized payee list it will change to last value.    i can not find an option so that there is no amount associated with memorized payees.  which ids my preferred choice because most of the time the amounts are different.

there maybe a way .,  go into the memorized payee list and one by one zero out the amount and check the lock box.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I just tried this (because others had suggested it), and it doesn't work.

What Quicken is doing now is replacing the transaction completely with what is in the memorized payee.  That includes zeroing the amount if that is what is in the memorized payee, and it will also change the cleared status to what is in the memorized payee.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

From C. D. Bales:

"i can not find an option so that there is no amount associated with memorized payees."

There is no such option. But a memorized transactions can have a zero amount.

Edit the memorized transaction and change its amount to $0.00 (you can just blank the amount).

[I have about 250 memorized transactions and only four have a non-zero amount. I also never auto-memorize.]

[My personal preference is that changing a transaction payee would not change any other transaction field.]
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited September 2018
    david20 said:

yep.  don't really understand the logic in the programming. .in the memorized payee list i also have the lock box checked and the cleared box unchecked.   if i change the payee the amount is zeroed out.     .  
    edited September 2018

if  reconciled transactions are being changed to cleared, go into the memorized payee list and see what happens when you edit them and then clear the box list as "Marked as cleared"  unfortunately, the amount will revert to whatever is in the amount box.  don't understand why Q is changing program to create problems for users like for bank reconciliation.    
    edited September 2018

i was incorrect at least after update 12.15. zeroing amount for payee in in memorized list results in $0 when renaming.    maybe Q is trying to force users to it fee based online banking and printing checks from Quicken.   the only time I have to rename payee is when checks are downloaded because i do not use Q fee based services and don't  manually enter checks.  for manual/hand written checks my bank does not download the payee. 
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    david20 said:

Actually, if your MP amount is 0, then finding them is easy.  It is the ones that change to a # that are hard to find.

Quicken needs to send out an email to all users with this version/release of Quicken and warn them of the issue.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Brad JonesBrad Jones Member
    edited September 2018
    I have multiple accounts set up in Quicken. This issue is only happening in one of the accounts. When I change to another checking account, for instance, the changing of the name functions as it used to, allowing for a Payee name change without changing the Category or Amount. This leads me to believe that there is a setting within Q that we can change to eliminate this issue. Very frustrating!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    david20 said:

BTW for people that have been caught by this and are wondering which got changed turn on the Downloaded Amount column.  It will have the original amount in it to help you correct these.
  • edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Windows Upgrade today (9/18/18) has a bug with memory payee's, overwrites downloa....

After downloading and accepting transactions, when I edit the PAYEE, the rest of the entry is overwritten, losing the downloaded data and replacing everything (amount!) with what was stored in memory. This now functions like the entry of a NEW item, but should not work this way for EDITING.
  • B ZARKB ZARK Member
    edited September 2018
    welcome to the crowd of all users who are experiencing this problem ,   
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Auto fill changes amount in register.

Today my Quicken 2018 for Windows updated to version R12.8  

I downloaded transactions from my bank as usual.  When going through them to save them in the register, the auto fill changed the Payee as per usual, but starting today it is now also changing the amount from what it should be (the current transaction) to the amount from last time I used that Payee.  

Very annoying!  How do I fix this??
  • Ron VeroneseRon Veronese Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please fix this bug...

Amount changes when modifying the Payee. This never used to happen. You could add a new payment, identify the payee, and the amount would be populated from the last amount entered for that payee. But now, you may have already entered an amount for a payee and if, for any reason, wish to modify the payee, the amount uncharacteristically changes to the last amount of that payee. This is dangerous to randomly modify an intentional amount previously entered.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just so people know, this is a bug introduced, it isn't the intended behavior.
    edited November 2018
    Please see if one of these work-arounds affects this problem for you:

a)
    After correcting the payee, click on another field in the transaction rather than hitting Tab or Enter right way. Then it appears you can hit Enter to save the edited transaction without disturbing the other fields.

b)
    -- Go to Edit > Preferences > Data Entry and Quickfill
    -- Un-check Complete fields using previous entries and Recall memorized payees.
    -- Click on OK, then go back and turn these options back on

Either of these seems to fix this problem for me, but please report back whether it fixes it for you as well. 
  • Jackson BearJackson Bear Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Renaming Function is Changing Payment Amount in Downloaded Transactions.

When, and particularly why, did the Renaming function begin changing the Payment amount in addition to the Payee, Memo, and Category? Up until today, I had used the Renaming rules to standardize my Payee names, but can no longer do so without creating an erroneous Payment.  Quicken 2018 v. R12.15, Microsoft Windows 10 Home operating system
    edited September 2018

a)
    After correcting the payee, click on another field in the transaction rather than hitting Tab or Enter right way. Then it appears you can hit Enter to save the edited transaction without disturbing the other fields.

b)

Either of these seems to fix this problem for me, but please report back whether it fixes it for you as well. 

Thanks, Jim, but your fix "b" did not work for me.
    edited September 2018

a)

b)

You're right, b) doesn't help this problem. I was confused because I had "Automatically memorize new transactions" checked and it was adding the corrected transaction to the Memorized Payee list. 
    edited September 2018
    QPW said:

Is Quicken planning to fix the bug!?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    QPW said:

I would think so, but of course I can't speak for them, and they seldom announce such things in advance.
  • ChrisChris Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Renaming Function is Changing Payment Amount in Downloaded Transactions.

When, and particularly why, did the Renaming function begin changing the Payment amount in addition to the Payee, Memo, and Category? Up until today, I had used the Renaming rules to standardize my Payee names, but can no longer do so without creating an erroneous Payment.  Quicken 2018 v. R12.15, Microsoft Windows 10 Home operating system

For me the problem just started today when I started Quicken a d it automatically "updated" to R12.8
    edited November 2018
    One more work-around to try:

c) 
    -- Un-check Recall memorized payees.
    -- Click on OK, 

The name of this setting is confusing and Quicken Help is unclear on this, but apparently this is the setting that is supposed to control whether it fills in the other fields when you hit Tab or Enter after picking a memorized payee.

With this setting un-checked, it will not automatically fill in the other fields. This is what we want when editing a payee, but an inconvenience if you have repeated transactions that you enter manually. If necessary, you can turn it back on when entering transactions manually.
This discussion has been closed.