Use Quicken in Parallels w/Win10 or Bootcamp w/Win10

I was just curious if any users out there were using Quicken in a Parallels window of Windows 10 or direct on Bootcamp with Windows 10?  (if you are using a MacBook).

I have been using an iMac & Macbook for the past 7-8 years or so and have typically set up the separate partition with Bootcamp.  I have dabbled with using Parallels so I did not have/to reboot.  However, I was not completely enamored with the Parallels experience and would usually just run Bootcamp.   My experience with Win10 home version was that even using the Bootcamp version in Parallels, that Parallels and Win10 did not get along nice and I would have to "reactivate" my Windows after using Parallels.  

Have not used Parallels lately but am getting  a new laptop.  Have been contemplating the idea of not setting up Bootcamp immediately and attempting to use Win10 in a Parallels configuration.  So am curious if anyone has tried it and have any pros / cons?

I've been using Quicken for a long time (long long time) and don't really want to try the Mac version of Quicken.  While I really would like to try it, everything I read is that the data file does not truly convert, so am willing to keep a Windows setup, and it is essentially driven by my Quicken use.  Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've used Oracle's VirtualBox to run Windows 10 on Macs with no problems. Best part is that it's free.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • edited December 2018
    Been using Parallels (latest versions), Win10, QW2016 Premier for quite a while now and happy with that setup. My recent hardware upgrades (faster processor & SSD) have made life even nicer.

No recent experience with Boot Camp or any other similar set up.  Been a long time since I tried boot camp.  I went to Parallels to avoid the reboots.
  • Beijing MacBeijing Mac Member
    edited October 2018

Been using Parallels (latest versions), Win10, QW2016 Premier for quite a while now and happy with that setup. My recent hardware upgrades (faster processor & SSD) have made life even nicer.

No recent experience with Boot Camp or any other similar set up.  Been a long time since I tried boot camp.  I went to Parallels to avoid the reboots.

Putter - thank you for your feedback -- I have recently gotten Parallels 14 installed on my new MacBook and Win10 installed -- so far, so good.  Quicken 2017 installed and looks good, seems to respond better than the Bootcamp installation on my 2015 13" MacBook Bootcamp installation.  Got my fingers crossed!
  • Smarty2009Smarty2009 Member
    edited December 2018
    I've been using Quicken Premier (2017) under Parallels since 2009 with no problems and like it. I too am leary about the Mac version for the same reasons - everything not converted from Windows to Mac version (this is a major bug IMHO!). However, recently with Parallels 14.1.0 and the same version of Quicken everytime I exit/close Quicken it doesn't close and in Task Manager indicates "not responding". I have to kill Quicken. This had happened to me intermittently in the past, but now it's happening all the time. Not sure whether this is Quicken or Parallels.
  • edited December 2018

I've been using Quicken Premier (2017) under Parallels since 2009 with no problems and like it. I too am leary about the Mac version for the same reasons - everything not converted from Windows to Mac version (this is a major bug IMHO!). However, recently with Parallels 14.1.0 and the same version of Quicken everytime I exit/close Quicken it doesn't close and in Task Manager indicates "not responding". I have to kill Quicken. This had happened to me intermittently in the past, but now it's happening all the time. Not sure whether this is Quicken or Parallels.

I think we might have been having the same problems.  Somehow I stumbled across a solution that sorta works for me.

I close Quicken using the close icon "X" (top right of the Quicken window).  Any other methodology seems to just cause Quicken to hang and I end up using Windows Task Manager...which worries me as to what state the data file is in.

I backup the backups of my backups.
  • Smarty2009Smarty2009 Member
    edited December 2018

Thanks. I keep forgetting to try that. Will make a point of trying it next time. I always back up before exiting.
  • Dawne HolzDawne Holz Member
    edited January 24
    Beijing Mac - 

I having been using Quicken for Windows for a very long time, too. My current datafile goes back to 1/1/02. (I purged data prior to that with transactions back to 1979, won't do that again!). So, I have a LOT of transactions and accounts, including checking, savings, money markets, CDs, 401Ks, investments, assets (real estate, life insurance), escrows.

When I switched to a Mac about 5 years ago, I started running Parallels and Windows 10. I found it pretty easy to set up and had it working so I need only click the icon on my Mac dock and Quicken would open in Parallels. To close, I clicked the X for Windows then icon on Mac task bar for Parallels and selected Quit (I think...).

However - I wanted to tell you that as a very long time user of Q4W, I took the plunge and switched to Q4M (Deluxe 2019, now) in June 2018. It crunched on my data file for quite a while, but brought in all 22 of my various accounts and the 10's of thousands of transactions with no errors. Now, there is a learning curve, but as a Mac user, you'll appreciate that Q4M is a lot more Mac-a-fied.

Note: I ran BOTH Q4W and Q4M for over a month, entering transactions in both datafiles, as I wasn't ready to trust all my years of data to a newbie. No major issues.

Here's my take on the big picture...

Advantage Q4M:
    Downloading transactions. I used to have all sorts of issues with Q4W and downloads. I was constantly disconnecting accounts and reconnecting; resetting the CC thing; and swearing a lot. I have NO issues with Q4M downloading from two banks, PayPal, two credit cards, and three investment firms. In fact, it updates stock prices each time you open Q4M.
    Backups. It creates a backup file every time you close the app. You can still also do manuals.

Advantage Q4W:
    Report customization. I recall being able to customize my reports a lot more in Q4W, but I'm hoping the Q4M developers have heard the cries of customers and are working on this.

I suggest Q4W users on Mac try Q4M (2019), running parallel (pardon the pun) datafiles - for however long they are comfortable - and see what they think. So far (knock on wood) I have found only minor things that needed fixing - and in every case, it's been a function of me not setting something up correctly (in one case, I had hidden payees that I needed for a report, whoops).

There's my 2 cents....

Dawne

• edited January 15
    I am in the same boat as all of you....years (and years and years) of using quicken windows on my MacBook with Parallels & Windows 10.  

Here are my 2 issues, maybe someone can address.  Windows 10 constantly wants to update and every time I try I get error messages that I don't have enough space.  It must have something to do with the virtual machine space because there is tons of available space on my MacBook.  So I get annoying banners that cover up my quicken data that I have to X-out of ALL THE TIME!  Other than that quicken works well without me updating Windows 10.

2nd issue, I'm using Quicken Home & Business.  I've been thinking for a long time about trying Quicken for Mac alongside my windows just for security that the transition is smooth.  However there is no Home & Business for Mac.  Anyone know if this is coming? and if I switch from this version to the highest version for Mac will the transition still be smooth since it won't be the same version.

Love to hear anyone's thoughts on these issues.

Lynn
  • DennisDennis Member
    edited December 2018

I am in the same boat as all of you....years (and years and years) of using quicken windows on my MacBook with Parallels & Windows 10.  

Here are my 2 issues, maybe someone can address.  Windows 10 constantly wants to update and every time I try I get error messages that I don't have enough space.  It must have something to do with the virtual machine space because there is tons of available space on my MacBook.  So I get annoying banners that cover up my quicken data that I have to X-out of ALL THE TIME!  Other than that quicken works well without me updating Windows 10.

2nd issue, I'm using Quicken Home & Business.  I've been thinking for a long time about trying Quicken for Mac alongside my windows just for security that the transition is smooth.  However there is no Home & Business for Mac.  Anyone know if this is coming? and if I switch from this version to the highest version for Mac will the transition still be smooth since it won't be the same version.

Lynn

Lynn,

1. Try letting Windows do the updates prior to launching Quicken. After launching the Windows virtual machine, go to Windows Settings>Update & Security, and click "Check for Updates" or "Install Updates". Some updates require a restart of the Windows VM. You may have to do this Check for updates process more than once to get them all installed.

2. No harm in trying Q for Mac in tandem. You can always return it if it doesn't work for you.
    I'm not sure if Qmac will import and convert a Qwin H&B file. If you decide to try it, I would make a copy of your data file, rename it something totally different and save it to desktop. Then use that file for your Qmac trial.
  • Hub SmilyHub Smily Member
    edited December 2018

Lynn

1 Alternatively, you can download and install the update patch or Mondo patch from the Quicken site...thus bypassing the process from within Quicken.

2 There is NO Quicken Mac Home and Business in the foreseeable future.  If you require the business and/or rental modules in the Windows version, you will be out of luck when you convert your Windows data file to Mac.  All business and rental accounts become "regular" accounts in Mac...and of course there are NONE of the business and rental features available.

If you have a subscription to Quicken Windows (ie v 2018 or 2019...which are essentially the same), then you can download Quicken Mac for free and try it.

I have QW and converted to QM...not without some issues and a lot of cleaning up.  Transfers in and out of accounts seem to be the biggest issue in my case.

Just be aware that the Mac version is no where what the Windows version is.  

I still have BOTH versions installed hoping that one day Quicken Mac will reach some sort of parity with the Windows version.  
  • DennisDennis Member
    edited December 2018

Lynn

The mondo patch is a Quicken update, not a Windows 10 update. 
  • edited January 2

Lynn

Dennis, thanks for you input.  I did just try the Windows update as you suggested prior to opening Quicken.  I get the same message as always that updates can't be installed due to lack of space on the drive.  I tried cleaning up disk space and all those kinds of things.  However the weird thing is it tells me the update requires 2GB of space and when I go to my C: drive it says I have 10.7 GB free of 32.2GB available.   My C: drive is on the VM that Windows is installed.

However, my Z: drive (the Mac drive) shows 196GB free of 465 GB.  For some reason, Windows doesn't find enough space for the updates.  That being said, I'm fine without updating Windows except for the constant nagging reminders every time I open Quicken that there are updates for Windows to be installed.  I haven't figured out how to disable those reminders and I have to X-out of so many windows to finally get to Quicken.

Any thoughts on this?
  • edited January 2

Lynn

Oh, and I forgot to say that I have absolutely nothing installed in Windows 10 other than Quicken.  All I have is Parallels, Windows 10 & Quicken.  I don't use windows for anything else.  I'm not sure what else there is to delete to make more space.
  • DennisDennis Member
    edited January 3

Lynn

Lynn, which versions of MacOS and Parallels are you running? Older Parallels versions don't play well with MacOS Mojave.

I'm not sure this will change things, but you can try expanding the Windows VM hard drive space by going into Parallels Control Center prior to launching the Windows VM. Control Center>Hardware Tab>Hard Disk>Advanced Settings>Properties.
  • edited January 3

Lynn

Dennis, I'm running the both the latest MacOS Mojave & the newest Parallels Desktop 14 which is supposed to function well with Mojave. The 2 seem to be working well together.  I think the key here is expanding the Windows VM hard drive and I just didn't know how to do that.  I just tried to access those settings but when I open Parallels, it automatically opens to Windows Control Center.  Some of those settings (the ones I think I need) are locked and it says I can't make those changes with the VM running.  I'm not sure how to quit the VM and then access the Control Center without the VM starting up again.
  • edited January 3

Lynn

I guess I'm saying that I don't know what the Parallels Control Center is (that you mentioned) compared to the Windows Control Center that I seem to be accessing.
  • Hub SmilyHub Smily Member
    edited January 3

Lynn

See this Parallels Knowledge Base article for increasing the size of your virtual machine:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/113972