Quicken Home Inventory shuts down when "Detail' view is selected.

Ron WRon W Member ✭✭
I am using Quicken 2017 R17 Home and Business on a Windows 10 operating system.. For some reason, the Home Inventory program no longer allows me to access detail view. When I click on the detail icon for any item, it appears that the boundary of the detail tries to open, but then the program closes without any notice. The problem happens using my laptop, but does not happen with my desktop. I don’t know if this is a mouse driver issue, Window update issue, or Quicken issue. The program worked fine earlier this year.

Comments

• Martin BMartin B Member
    edited November 2018
    I am using Quicken 2019 R15.16 and have the same issue.  Quicken Home Inventory will not display 'details' of the items in inventory.  The program closes.    I need help too.
  • David ShafferDavid Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Me too.  Did anyone figure this out.
    Thanks
    edited November 2018
    I spoke with Quicken Tech Support for about an hour trying various options. All failed. Quicken Technical Experts are working for a solution. Meanwhile I use QHI on a 2011 copy of Quicken on a second computer not upgraded.
  • Clayton200Clayton200 Member
    edited November 2018
    Martin B said:

I spoke with Quicken Tech Support for about an hour trying various options. All failed. Quicken Technical Experts are working for a solution. Meanwhile I use QHI on a 2011 copy of Quicken on a second computer not upgraded.

Have a similar issue, since day one if I edit an item in the list the app closes. I can edit any and every thing in the Detail View. Whatever solves your issues will probably fix mine. Good luck to us all...
    edited November 2018
    This just started.  Has always been rock solid.  I am using 2016.   You can still do most anything you want from "list View" as far as values and adding items etc.  But you can't access serial numbers or notes unless you run a report.  I hate it when something I rely on just stops working out of the blue.  Looks from my extensive internet search that there is no fix.  I even tried a backup copy of my inventory database to no avail   Hopefully someone comes up with something.
    edited November 2018
    Eureka - I did what Martha said (on another thread) about removing Windows 10 updates back to 9/12/2018 and everything worked.  There is one it will not let you remove.  I removed three security updates and one flash update.  I suspect the flash update and should have removed them one at a time but did not.  Maybe someone else can remove one at a time and report back.  I know it will be difficult to keep it working. But now I am monitoring updates.  I am using Quicken Deluxe 2016 R18.4
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If you haven't tried  do a clean re installation of Quicken.
    Use the QcleanUI to uninstall Quicken.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Make sure you save a copy of your Quicken data file before you remove Quicken.

If this still does not work report back with what version and build of Quicken (Help-About)
    also include what Windows you are using including version and build of Windows if this info is available for your particular OS.
    Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    jl747 said:

If this still does not work report back with what version and build of Quicken (Help-About)
    also include what Windows you are using including version and build of Windows if this info is available for your particular OS.

I don't think you need to uninstall Quicken.
    The Home Inventory program is a stand-alone executable.
    After creating a backup of your QHI.IDB (usually found in \Documents\Quicken) you can try to reinstall it by following these instructions:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/installing-quicken-home-inventory-and-emergency-records-organizer
    However, I don't think it will solve this problem. I'm not aware of the programmers having made any changes (at least, I don't remember seeing any notes in the What's New for the latest patch file)
    edited November 2018
    jl747 said:

UKR, SuperUser. You made me think and I did a reinstall of just Home Inventory. Guess what? I can now add, delete, and/or edit items in the list view like I used to be able to back before my 2013 crash. This has bugged me now for nearly two years and you fixed it. Thanks!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    jl747 said:

You're welcome, Clayton.
    I was just firing a shot in the dark ... and someone yelled "Ouch!"  ;-)

I mean, if a Windows update can clobber Quicken to the point it must be reinstalled, isn't it logical to assume that it could also clobber QHI, a standalone feature?
    edited November 2018
    jl747 said:

Yep, it does. FWIW, A Shot In The Dark reminds me of The Pink Panther. Thanks again.

For me though, a New PC 01/13/2017 and Quicken was the first thing installed. From that initial installation I had the crash on edit list view on. Updating Q or Win 10 made no difference. I even had to perform a Quicken Uninstall and Reinstall here awhile back. It didn't change anything for QHI. But the reinstall today seems to have fixed it.
  • Ron WRon W Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Eureka - I did what Martha said (on another thread) about removing Windows 10 updates back to 9/12/2018 and everything worked.  There is one it will not let you remove.  I removed three security updates and one flash update.  I suspect the flash update and should have removed them one at a time but did not.  Maybe someone else can remove one at a time and report back.  I know it will be difficult to keep it working. But now I am monitoring updates.  I am using Quicken Deluxe 2016 R18.4

David, I tried uninstalling one at a time and restarted after each. I could not uninstall some updates.  I started with Flash update, but the problem remains.
    edited November 2018

Ron - Check out my next post.  There will be my latest findings.
    edited January 2019
    I am working with Windows 10 Pro and Quicken 2016.
    OK - Here is my latest info.    At least for me I have found the specific update that causes the fail.  When I remove it, QHI works normal and after it is applied QHI terminates in List View.  
    This is the offending update.  

The problem is that Windows 10 want to keep installing it - so I found a Microsoft Utility that will hide updates from Windows Update.  Do a google search on "how to hide windows updates"  It's called the "Show and Hide Updates Tool"  and you can easily download it and install it as a Windows Tool. 
    AFTER you have uninstalled the above update run the tool and you will see this :

This is the tool above after I selected the offending update.  This will hide this update from Windows and as long as this is the only update which corrupts the QHI program we should be good.
    Let me know if you have any questions.  I discovered this all last evening and this morning.  Let me know if it helps you all.   I have to have my Quicken Home Inventory or my OCD takes control...lol

edited November 2018

I am working with Windows 10 Pro and Quicken 2016.
    OK - Here is my latest info.    At least for me I have found the specific update that causes the fail.  When I remove it, QHI works normal and after it is applied QHI terminates in List View.  
    This is the offending update.  

The problem is that Windows 10 want to keep installing it - so I found a Microsoft Utility that will hide updates from Windows Update.  Do a google search on "how to hide windows updates"  It's called the "Show and Hide Updates Tool"  and you can easily download it and install it as a Windows Tool. 
    AFTER you have uninstalled the above update run the tool and you will see this :

This is the tool above after I selected the offending update.  This will hide this update from Windows and as long as this is the only update which corrupts the QHI program we should be good.
    Let me know if you have any questions.  I discovered this all last evening and this morning.  Let me know if it helps you all.   I have to have my Quicken Home Inventory or my OCD takes control...lol

David,
    Nice find.

I also had this Update too.
    I removed it and now QHI is working as it should be.

That tool is also a good find.
    They (MS) sure do not make it easy to Hide or stop installing updates.

Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • Steve WhiteSteve White Member
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QHI input screen.

Using Quicken 2017 Deluxe.  QHI loads data and presents all data location/category screens.  Once the Input detail button is pushed, a distorted input screen is displayed for only 1 sec, then QHI program shuts down.  All other QHI features work find.  Input used to work fine up until about 2-3 months ago.  No impact to regular Quicken either.  Problem is only related to detailed input screen.  Quicken program delete/reloads and backups do not fix problem.  I'm using Windows 10, version 1803.  Various compatibility settings do not fix problem.  QHI usage is at a standstill.  Quicken tech support was not helpful.
    edited November 2018
    I have exactly the same experience with QHI and with Quicken Technical Support. Technical Support worked with me for an hour -- cleanup, remove everything quicken, reload latest quicken and QHI, etc, etc.
    edited November 2018

Using Quicken 2017 Deluxe.  QHI loads data and presents all data location/category screens.  Once the Input detail button is pushed, a distorted input screen is displayed for only 1 sec, then QHI program shuts down.  All other QHI features work find.  Input used to work fine up until about 2-3 months ago.  No impact to regular Quicken either.  Problem is only related to detailed input screen.  Quicken program delete/reloads and backups do not fix problem.  I'm using Windows 10, version 1803.  Various compatibility settings do not fix problem.  QHI usage is at a standstill.  Quicken tech support was not helpful.

Did you see my solution above?
    edited November 2018

Thanks.  Took me awhile.  saw the update..uninstalled it...restarted computer...suspect the update got installed anyway during the reboot, because it no longer shows up.  used your tool and my screen (using the tool) matches yours.  No change to QHI.  The windows update listing will not let me uninstall any of the windows updates or security updates...only the adobe updates.  Is this normal?  Perhaps i need to do a full windows restore back to before 12 Sep 2018.  Thoughts?
    edited November 2018

If the update was reinstalled it would be in the installed updates list.   If that particular update is not there you should be OK.  It seems to me a restore point to earlier would work too.  What version Quicken you on?   I believe that you have to block KB4467702 to get QUI working again.
  • Ron WRon W Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Thanks David.  But this fix did not work for me.  Uninstalling Update KB4467702 did not fix the problem.  I checked that the update is not shown and wanted to uninstall a few more updates, but am not offered that option.  I am looking for other programs that will hopefully be compatible. 
  • Ron WRon W Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Also, I noted that this update is installed on my desktop machine and QHI works like it always did.
    edited November 2018
    Ron W said:

Thanks David.  But this fix did not work for me.  Uninstalling Update KB4467702 did not fix the problem.  I checked that the update is not shown and wanted to uninstall a few more updates, but am not offered that option.  I am looking for other programs that will hopefully be compatible. 

Maybe because it's a different version of Quicken.  This certainly has robbed me of quite a few hours.  And probably not enough folks use it for Quicken to care.
    edited November 2018
    Ron W said:

Also, I noted that this update is installed on my desktop machine and QHI works like it always did.

Desktop is Win10 obviously?  
  • Ron WRon W Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Both machines are running Windows 10 Home.
    edited November 2018

system fixed....but i'm not sure exactly what happened.  when investigating a possible system restore I had gone to the level of executing the system restore, but then it asked me to close files.  When selecting to close them manually, the system automatically went into shutting down and performed a system installation of fixes.  upon reboot...QHI now fully works.  PFM.  Your tool still shows the update KB4467702 as hidden.  the windows system update and security folder now states that i'm missing an "important security and quality fixes".  7702 must be the culprit.    Also....as a unsuspecting bonus....my fonts are now back to small high definition as well.  What a major improvement.  I went back into system restore and upped my restore disk space to 50 GB....just in case.  thanks so much for your help!
    edited January 2019
    If you want an alternative to QHI and I do believe the only one that can import the QHI file (as of my last search) there is a program called Attic Manager.

I do use it as a backup to QHI.
    http://www.guacosoft.com/attic/

That is if you can not get QHI to work.

Windows 10 Pro 1903
    edited January 2019
    Not sure what is going on but QHI just started to act up again.
    When I go to open it  Quicken gets minimized and QHI does not open.
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
    edited November 2018
    jl747 said:

Not sure what is going on but QHI just started to act up again.
    When I go to open it  Quicken gets minimized and QHI does not open.

I believe this is going to be an ongoing battle.  Maybe time for your Attic Manager find.  Thanks
    edited December 2018

Dave...recent slew of 2018-11 cumulative updates for win10 v1809 wiped out my hidden 2018-11 cumulative update for v1803 (KB4467702) ---- which was the original culprit three weeks ago.  QHI data screen problem is back.  To make matters worse, my restore points that saved that config were also deleted.  Have you encountered this problem?
This discussion has been closed.