Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Canada, property management, multiple users - which version should I buy?

UnknownUnknown Member
edited December 2018 in Before you Buy
I'm a bit confused by all the product offerings, and I am unsure of which version I should pick.  Some advice would be helpful for those who already have experience with the product.

The requirements are:
- for a small business 
- with rental properties
- handles Canada tax requirements
- mac/pc - don't care
- integration with Canadian banks would be good.
- there may be multiple users of the software in different geographical locations - so online would be good.  If we can't do online, then we'd have to run multiple copies of the software and somehow syncronize the data files using dropbox or something like that.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @pdwalker: there is no version of Quicken that supports multiple users. None of the Canadian versions of Quicken include the rental property features. Only the Canadian versions of Quicken can download transactions from Canadian banks. Based on your criteria, it seems that Quicken is not a good fit for your requirements.

Note: attempting to use with Quicken with multiple users by running multiple copies of the software and somehow syncronize the data files using dropbox or something like that is a sure fire recipe to corrupt the Quicken data base file.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Since you are looking for a multi-user capable product, may I suggest that you look at the Canadian version of QuickBooks?
    https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2020

@pdwalker: there is no version of Quicken that supports multiple users. None of the Canadian versions of Quicken include the rental property features. Only the Canadian versions of Quicken can download transactions from Canadian banks. Based on your criteria, it seems that Quicken is not a good fit for your requirements.

Note: attempting to use with Quicken with multiple users by running multiple copies of the software and somehow syncronize the data files using dropbox or something like that is a sure fire recipe to corrupt the Quicken data base file.

Artic Hare, 

Yes, I understand the issues with sharing data files and quicken, given that it is a single user program.  However, it's a risk that can be managed through procedure (and backups).
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited September 2018
    So, it seems to come down to Quicken Deluxe or Home and Business or the online QuickbooksUKR.

Last question, I hope: Ignoring the multiuser angle for the moment - how do these two compare feature wise?

Any recommendations one way or another?

Again, thanks for the feedback.  It is helping.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well Quicken is a personal finance program. The Home & Business version would be for self employed people. Quicken really doesn’t have full Business features like inventory and payroll.

You really need QuickBooks for a business.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Well Quicken is a personal finance program. The Home & Business version would be for self employed people. Quicken really doesn’t have full Business features like inventory and payroll.

You really need QuickBooks for a business.

Also, Quickbooks is a true accounting software using GAAP whereas Quicken does not and so is not as rigid.

Not sure how important this next one is but Quicken handles investment accounts but Quickbooks does not.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.