Entering transactions no longer retain security name in Q 2018, R12.15

StanR
StanR Member ✭✭✭
The latest update to Q2018, R12.15 "Fixed" a problem "An issue where a newly added investment transaction retained the security of the previously entered transaction".

I always thought that was a great feature and not a bug. It has been that way as long as I can remember and I've been using Quicken since the DOS days. My broker, Wells Fargo Advisors, doesn't download automatic MM purchases so I have to manually enter those, which I do at the end of the month. It was quite easy the old way since I only had to enter the security name once and then I could run through all the entries.Now I have to enter the security name each time. Yes, I can at least cut and paste, but that is an extra step.

What was the harm the other way? If you didn't want to use that security you would have to enter the one you wanted, which is just what you have to do now. But if you do want to use that security, you have to enter it where you didn't before.

What do others think?

Stan
ASUS Prime Z370-A, Core i7-8700K, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB System Disk, WDC 1 TB HDD data disk, ASUS Radeon 1 GB HD7790, ASUS VE248 Monitor
Windows 10 - 64 bit Fall 2019 (V1909, Build 18363.657)

4 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In my opinion, the prior behavior was desirable if you're entering multiple transactions with the same security.  The only issue I could see was for someone who relies on the mouse to access the pull-down menu to select the next security as the pull-down menu was initialized to the location of the current security in the menu.  As I tend to rely on the keyboard, I start to type the next security's name and then may use the arrow keys to scroll the remaining alphabetized menu to select the desired security.
  • Stefano189
    Stefano189 Member
    I am in full agreement with StanR.  The "fix" just added extra mouse clicks.
  • David9
    David9 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I just upgraded to Premier, version 18.6, from the 2016 version of Quicken.  The very first thing I did was to enter transactions in one of my investment accounts, and ran into this problem.  What a PITA it would be if for every cash transaction I have to manually enter and re-enter the name of the brokerage's money market account.

[removed - off-topic]
  • jimsmoney
    jimsmoney Unconfirmed, Member
    I fully agree with stan.  This was not a bug that needed fixing.  At least give us the option to retain the previous Security when manually adding transactions.  P.S. I have already selected "Recall memorized payees " under the "Data Entry and Quickfill" preference.
  • dgilfor
    dgilfor Member
    Just updated from 2016 to 2020 and noticed that my transactions no longer retain the security name. Over many years my security list is very large and I enter many transactions every month with similar security names. I now have to retype each entry as the list is too long to scroll. If I knew this feature was taken away, I would never have upgraded (or should I say - downgraded).
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @dgilfor

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to print a collapsed view of a report.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Do you still hold positions in each of those many securities?  If not, how about hiding the ones that are no longer in play?
    Do TOOLS, Security List and check the HIDE box for securities you no longer want to see in the dropdown list.  Prior transactions for those securities will be unaffected.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dgilfor Another thing you can do besides the hiding of securities as @NotACPA suggests is use the ticker symbol.

For the record every month I need to enter about 5 transactions in three accounts manually because Lending Club accounts/notes aren't supported and it was much easier before when the security name was retained.

I'm luck in the sense that I don't have any other securities with a similar name so I only have to type le, and it fills in, but I have to do it for 15 transactions which gets pretty old fast.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/