Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Q Mac 2018: Downloaded transactions not updating the Category

For the past two months all my downloaded transaction categories are automatically assigned Uncategorized. The downloaded payee name is correctly updating to my saved payee's and the category is always assigned Uncategorized. Never had this issue before. This is happing with American Express and other banks. Using Quicken 5.8.0.

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello Batman, appreciate your question.

When you are downloading transactions from the bank, many transactions will come in as Uncategorized.

One recommendation of troubleshooting is to make a test file and try adding the transactions into a new file to see if the transactions auto-categorize as they are coming in.

If not, I would reach out to Quicken Support so that they can look into this issue further.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, the test file works, downloaded transactions are auto-categorized. So, how do i fix my current file? 
  • Shelley@
    [email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have been having similar problems with Quicken 5.8.2 (Quicken 2019) that started possibly when Quicken upgraded to 2019. For the past month or so, all of my transactions download as uncategorized in all of my banks. I spent HOURS on the phone with Quicken support today, and their suggestion was similar to @Batman's-- create a new test file. Add all my banks to the new test file, and download transactions just to see if they are being categorized in the new test file. (They were.) THEN, having confirmed that the new file can categorize transactions, export my old quicken data file to a quicken windows transfer file (QXF) on my desktop. Import the QXF file into my recently created test file. If the bank accounts that you add have the same names, they'll automatically import the transactions. If not, you have to MOVE the imported transactions, using select all, into the bank account that you just set up in the test file. Then you have to wait a day or so, and see if downloaded transactions in the test file continue come in with categories. 

I am not convinced this will solve the problem, since I don't use Quicken's default categories, and haven't for the 20+ years I have used Quicken. I was able to confirm that the Quicken categories populate my downloaded transactions, but the problem I am having is that Quicken doesn't seem to remember/recognize my custom categories. Since I just built my test file, I can't confirm one way or another. I will report back.  
  • Shelley@
    edited December 2018
    Some updates: creating a new file, as Quicken support suggested, wiped out all my budgets, and historical budget data. And, as it turned out, all my new transactions are still coming in uncategorized.

It appears that Quicken will auto-categorize transactions to Quicken's pre-existing categories after downloading, but doesn't auto-categorize to custom categories. Since I don't use, and delete, most pre-existing categories, all of my transactions are downloaded as "uncategorized". This was not the case when I first started using Quicken Mac 2016, so something seems to have broken it. Transactions are memorized properly, so if I manually enter a payee, the previously used category is automatically assigned. The problem is with downloaded transactions. This happens on my existing file, and also on a new test file, with newly set up accounts-- the test file auto categorizes, until I delete the Quicken categories and assign my own. Is this a bug? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

Some updates: creating a new file, as Quicken support suggested, wiped out all my budgets, and historical budget data. And, as it turned out, all my new transactions are still coming in uncategorized.

It appears that Quicken will auto-categorize transactions to Quicken's pre-existing categories after downloading, but doesn't auto-categorize to custom categories. Since I don't use, and delete, most pre-existing categories, all of my transactions are downloaded as "uncategorized". This was not the case when I first started using Quicken Mac 2016, so something seems to have broken it. Transactions are memorized properly, so if I manually enter a payee, the previously used category is automatically assigned. The problem is with downloaded transactions. This happens on my existing file, and also on a new test file, with newly set up accounts-- the test file auto categorizes, until I delete the Quicken categories and assign my own. Is this a bug? 

This has just started happening to me as well.  I have all custom categories which Quicken for Mac used to handle well.  Now, downloaded transactions from Citibank all come in as uncategorized, even though there are 100's of the same transactions in the register.  They definitely change something!!!!  
  • Shelley@
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

I hope somebody is tracking this. It was a complete drag to have to rebuild my Quicken file just to discover that it doesn't fix anything. ☹️ 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

Yep, rebuilt mine also by exporting 15 years of data from Quicken Windows. Still not categorizing downloaded transactions. Shelley is correct: It appears that Quicken will auto-categorize transactions to Quicken's pre-existing categories after downloading, but doesn't auto-categorize to custom categories. I will post this in another thread to increase the visibility.
  • Richard Riley
    Richard Riley Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

I have also tried all of the suggestions and they continue to come uncategorized. Worked fine until Q Mac 2019.
  • joanwolcott
    joanwolcott Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

Same issue. Another problem just created...as of Nov. 1  my "household" category (expense.."Money Out") is now downloading into the "Money In" on reports.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

In Microsoft Money (no longer supported), if you edited a transaction category the program would ask if you want to apply that change to all past and/or future transactions for that merchant. So simple and intuitive, no digging through supporting category tables to check the right boxes. Does Quicken have anything similar?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Like the users above I do not use Quicken categories and have deleted them. All transactions that I download from my bank come in as uncategorized since the 2019 upgrade.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

When you change a category in the category list, ALL transactions are updated. There is no option to selectively update only past or future transactions.

If you only want to update future transactions, you need to create a new category to be used.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Shelley@
    edited January 2019
    I agree that Quicken support can be challenging, but I had a truly AMAZING experience last week with Sergio (hope you are reading, Quicken!) who was extremely knowledgeable and spend almost an hour and a half on the phone with me. He confirmed that this is known issue, implied that Quicken is working on it (although I didn't end up feeling confident about that), gave me some background about the problem, and offered a couple tips for fixing uncategorized transactions. Briefly: 

By design, Quicken Mac does not use renaming rules, which Windows did, to allow users to define Payee names and associated categories. Apparently that option opens the door to unintentional file corruption issues. In Mac, Quicken "learns" the payee and category from changes made directly to the register. In theory, if you change a category enough times, Quicken will memorize it. For some reason, pre-existing "rules" have been erased from Quicken's memory, so custom categories are no longer getting applied, but also not being re-memorized. Sergio said that we can FORCE Quicken to memorize custom categories, using a trick that has already been described in the forum-- I hadn't tried it because I didn't understand the rationale. 

1) Before downloading transactions, clean up the payee list (Window/Payees). This is time consuming! You may see multiple transactions for a common payee-- Starbucks, SQUSTARBUCKS, Starbucks #2367, etc. If you select them all and call them "Starbucks", the next time Quicken downloads any related transaction, it will rename the payee "Starbucks". It's important to make the changes in the payee list-- changes made in the register will affect that register entry only. Needless to say, after three years, my payee list is huge. I only changed payees that I use regularly (Quicken shows you how many times a payee is used). You can search the payee list by name, which simplifies the process: if you search "Starbucks" every payee that contains Starbucks will show up and can be changed. NOTE: Be careful, because this process is destructive. Changes made to the payee list change the register. If you have a hundred entries for Starbucks and you delete the payee in the payee list, all those payees will disappear from the register, although the transactions will remain.

2) Download transactions. Find a payee you want to change-- using the above example, "Starbucks." Manually create a register transaction that EXACTLY MATCHES the DATE and AMOUNT of one of the downloaded Starbucks transactions. Assign the correct category. The newly created transaction  will have a red pencil in the "status" column. Drag the newly created transaction OVER the matching downloaded transaction. The two transactions will merge, and the pencil will turn blue. At this point, according to Sergio, Quicken should have memorized the correct category for the payee Starbucks. Only do this ONCE for each payee you want to associate with a custom category. Then EXIT the program. Do NOT reconcile, because once a transaction has been reconciled or reviewed, Quicken will not "learn" from it. 

In theory, this method will re-teach Quicken the custom category associations. I have only gotten as far as cleaning up my HUGE payee list, so I can't confirm that it works. I'll report back. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Shelley said:

I agree that Quicken support can be challenging, but I had a truly AMAZING experience last week with Sergio (hope you are reading, Quicken!) who was extremely knowledgeable and spend almost an hour and a half on the phone with me. He confirmed that this is known issue, implied that Quicken is working on it (although I didn't end up feeling confident about that), gave me some background about the problem, and offered a couple tips for fixing uncategorized transactions. Briefly: 

By design, Quicken Mac does not use renaming rules, which Windows did, to allow users to define Payee names and associated categories. Apparently that option opens the door to unintentional file corruption issues. In Mac, Quicken "learns" the payee and category from changes made directly to the register. In theory, if you change a category enough times, Quicken will memorize it. For some reason, pre-existing "rules" have been erased from Quicken's memory, so custom categories are no longer getting applied, but also not being re-memorized. Sergio said that we can FORCE Quicken to memorize custom categories, using a trick that has already been described in the forum-- I hadn't tried it because I didn't understand the rationale. 

1) Before downloading transactions, clean up the payee list (Window/Payees). This is time consuming! You may see multiple transactions for a common payee-- Starbucks, SQUSTARBUCKS, Starbucks #2367, etc. If you select them all and call them "Starbucks", the next time Quicken downloads any related transaction, it will rename the payee "Starbucks". It's important to make the changes in the payee list-- changes made in the register will affect that register entry only. Needless to say, after three years, my payee list is huge. I only changed payees that I use regularly (Quicken shows you how many times a payee is used). You can search the payee list by name, which simplifies the process: if you search "Starbucks" every payee that contains Starbucks will show up and can be changed. NOTE: Be careful, because this process is destructive. Changes made to the payee list change the register. If you have a hundred entries for Starbucks and you delete the payee in the payee list, all those payees will disappear from the register, although the transactions will remain.

2) Download transactions. Find a payee you want to change-- using the above example, "Starbucks." Manually create a register transaction that EXACTLY MATCHES the DATE and AMOUNT of one of the downloaded Starbucks transactions. Assign the correct category. The newly created transaction  will have a red pencil in the "status" column. Drag the newly created transaction OVER the matching downloaded transaction. The two transactions will merge, and the pencil will turn blue. At this point, according to Sergio, Quicken should have memorized the correct category for the payee Starbucks. Only do this ONCE for each payee you want to associate with a custom category. Then EXIT the program. Do NOT reconcile, because once a transaction has been reconciled or reviewed, Quicken will not "learn" from it. 

In theory, this method will re-teach Quicken the custom category associations. I have only gotten as far as cleaning up my HUGE payee list, so I can't confirm that it works. I'll report back. 

Very good description. I'd suggest one alteration: don't delete any Payees during your clean-up, but instead merge them. Select two or more Payees with similar names that you want to now be the same Payee; then select the Merge Payees button at the bottom of the Payees window. It will warn you that all the selected Payees will be renamed to the first one in your list (and note that if the Payee name you want to retain is different, you can edit it after merging). By merging rather than deleting, you insure that you don't end up with any transactions with unknown Payees.

(Should you really want to do a major clean-up on your Payee list and get rid of a lot of one-time Payees you don't care about -- and there's no particular need to do this -- you could create a transaction with a Payee called "Misc. Payees" or "Deleted Payee", and then merge all the Payees you no longer want with that one -- again, just so you don't end up with mysterious transactions with no Payee.)

The absence of a renaming rules like the Windows version has been a frequent request from users to the developers, and the Mac product manager has indicated they plan to address this in a future version -- we just don't yet know when that will be.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Shelley@
    edited November 2018
    Shelley said:

Thank you for confirming that this is in the development pipeline-- I was worried I might be spreading misinformation! And yes, MERGE. I meant merge when I said "select" all Starbucks and rename, but that wasn't clear. :) 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Shelley said:

You can add your VOTE to Have Local Rules for Renaming Payees.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited December 2018
    Shelley said:

Hi Shelley,

I'm glad to hear you had such a great experience with Support and our Agent "Sergio", I was able to locate the contact in our system and have forwarded your message to Sergio's manager so they may be aware of what a great job he's doing.

Thank you for taking the time to share this experience and the information provided with the Community, it's appreciated!

Sarah
  • Shelley@
    edited December 2018
    Shelley said:

I am sorry to report that (at least so far) the solution provided to me by Sergio does not work. I merged several payees following the above method two days ago, and all of the transactions downloaded today as "uncategorized". I will try merging some payees/transactions today, but this definitely appears to be a bug. I hope the folks at Quicken are aware of it, and working on a fix. ☹️ 
  • nomdeweb
    nomdeweb Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Same here. Tested this out and still “uncategorized”.
  • Michael Putzel
    Michael Putzel Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Shelley said:

What a bummer after all your work. I was about to start on Sergio's solution, but I guess I'll have to hope Quicken itself fixes this serious shortcoming in its app. 
  • Richard225
    Richard225 Member
    edited January 2019
    Shelley said:

Any update from Quicken on fixing this?
  • tcburke3
    tcburke3 Member ✭✭
    i may have something interesting to add to this... i have 2 computers and a laptop and use Quicken on all three with the same file. one of the computers is new at the end of 2018 and does not fill in categories. the laptop and the older computer do as they have always done. same file, same version of the software, but on different computers achieving different results. i suspect the problem is specific to a file on the local computer installation, not the quicken file itself. it seems that as long as i had an old version installed, it prevents updated versions from not categorizing.
  • WOW WOW WOW!!!! Most recent upgrade (Quicken Mac Version 5.12.5 (Build 512.29294.100)) COMPLETELY FIXED THIS PROBLEM, which I have been living with for over a year. In fact I recently decided that it was worth it to me to laboriously re-enter every. single. custom. category. EVERY time I download hundreds of transactions, just because Quicken otherwise works well for me. Today I updated, downloaded transactions, expecting I would spend half an hour at the task and THEY ARE ALL CATEGORIZED PROPERLY!!! WOOT. I have so much free time I decided to post a big thank you to the hard working and often maligned tech team developing this software. Your efforts are MUCH APPRECIATED. THANK YOU. Don't give up!! 😊
This discussion has been closed.