Home Quicken for Windows All Things Canadian (Windows)

Quicken has changed the currency of some of my Canadian bank accounts to USD symbol, but the amount

Answers

• Eldon BullockEldon Bullock Member ✭✭
    Thanks gibby999. I just tried it on my system and it worked...changed my account back to Canadian. Quicken should be able to fix this...no way a download should change the account currency without some kind of warning/option to ignore the change.
  • pcw368pcw368 Member ✭✭
    Jacques, I have the same problem that Quicken is downloading to my Canadian Capital One Costco Mastercard in US$. It was in Canadian $ originally and yesterday it just started to download in US$. Had to delete the account, make a new one and it downloaded the first time in Canadian $. Now this AM, it has done the same thing gain in US$. I managed to reset back to yesterday and have to now got to forget the downloads and manually enter and reconcile the account by myself. Not trying that again until Quicken says it is okay. Only a couple of transactions a day to record so I'll continue manually. Lost all this years data in Mastercard up to May 5th this year.
  • Pallor17Pallor17 Member
    My Capital One bank credit card can finally download the transactions but refuses to link to my existing account and insists that I open a new credit card account in Quicken. Furthermore, it's opening the account in USD and the balance information is wrong. What's going on?
  • I am having a similar problem, although not as extreme. My Capital One account downloaded but in US funds.
  • :( Why is it when a Canadian Fund Capital One credit card imports you don't have the option to choose which currency it is in. It defaults to US funds but the card is Canadian
  • Let me correct myself It defaults to US funds and does not give the option to choose Canadian.
  • RennebergRenneberg Member ✭✭
    I am also having this issue with my Capital One account, and because the account has changed to USD, all of the net worth historical information for that account is being affected with a CAD to USD conversion rate.

I've tried it on two different installations of Quicken (separate computers) which old backup files, and it does the same thing each time.
  • Bruce_HBruce_H Member
    I also have a Costco Credit Card and my currency was changed to USD this morning when I downloaded the transaction.
    I un-linked the web updates, edited the already downloaded and processed QFX file.
    I then imported the QFX file, quicken confirmed the account to link to and then imported the file, no new entries were added to my files as they were already processed, but it did change the currency back to CAN!
    So it would appear that it is really quite simple to change the currency on any account using an already processed QFX file!
  • Eldon BullockEldon Bullock Member ✭✭
    I have contacted Capital One for our Costco Mastercard and they are aware that they are downloading a file with the wrong currency. They are looking into the problem. They also suggested contacting quicken, since it shouldn't change the currency based on a download file without some kind of warning.
  • John TelferJohn Telfer Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    As of today, my Canadian dollar credit card with Capital One has been changed to USD. As a result, all transactions in the account, including historical amounts, are now misstated. The program will not let me change the currency of the account back to CAD. 

(edited to include original title in description)
  • vkvrgicvkvrgic Member ✭✭
    > @"Bill Burrington" said:
    > Thanks gibby999, changing the currency designation in the QFX file downloaded from Capital One Mastercard corrected the currency back to Canadian. I also noticed that it is giving the statement balance as a positive number, but quicken expects a negative number. That caused the reconcile to fail.
    >
    > For people who are not familiar how to do this, here's how (its a lot simpler that it looks!):
    >
    > 1) Download the transaction update file (QFX) from the bank as you always do.
    > 2) Instead of clicking on "Open" to read the file into quicken, click on "Save"
    > 3) Click on "Open Folder"
    > 4) Right-click on the QFX file that was just downloaded > "Open with" > "Notepad"
    > 5a) Find the line that says "USD" and change USD to CAN (use capital letters)
    > 6) Click "File" > "Save" and close Notepad.
    > 7) Double-click the newly modified QFX file and it will be read into Quicken.
    >
    > This will correct the account back to Canadian dollars, and import the transactions.
    >
    > You will need to do this procedure every time you want to download your transaction data until such time as Capital One get their act together and correct their download file. Its a pain, but less work than all the other options.
    >
    > NOTE: If you find that reconcile fails and brings you to manual reconcile, it may be because the statement balance is showing negative in quicken (at bottom right of manual reconcile window). For example, the reconciled balance is $252.00 and the statement balance is $-252.00. If that is the case, do the following edits in the QFX file in addition to the USD to CAN edit:
    >
    > 5b) Find the line (near the bottom) that says "xxx.xx" where xxx.xx is your statement balance.
    > 5c) Add a minus sign so it says "-xxx.xx

Thanks Bill ! This procedure helped me.

It's unfortunate that Capital one can't get their act together but until they do, I will use this procedure from destroying my Quicken file.

Thanks again!
  • barbisraelbarbisrael Member
    I have been using Quicken for years, and all of a sudden it has changed the currency of my Capital One Mastercard to USD. It has never been USD and I don't know how to change it back to CAD.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    See the answer on how to fix this here:
    (removed self-reference to merged thread)

You will need a new download file, which you will have to manually modify. 
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• MommabearMommabear Member
    I recently upgraded to Quicken Deluxe & when I downloaded transactions for Capital One Costco balances were in US dollars. When I checked acct detail screen it showed US NOT CDN.
    edited September 2019
    See if this solution helps: 
    (removed self-reference to merged thread)

You will need a new download file, which you will have to manually modify.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• OSOS Member
    Looking at the Costco Capital One card Account it shows that the credit card is a US credit card rather than a CDN credit card. Can the Quicken techs change the card to a CDN one as a Quicken user cannot change this designation? Personally I do not want to reload all of the transactions for the this account as all of my Capital One transactions for years are now in my budget categories as $CDN but increased by the $US exchange rate - so approximately 1.32 too high. I assume that if the Quicken techs can change the designation back to a CDN credit card then all of my transaction will revert back to $CDN rather that the amount being an error factor of 1.32?
  • SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Capital One Aspire & Costco credit cards not downloading - Canadian version.
  • MommabearMommabear Member
    I followed instructions as indicated. The qfx file already showed currency as CDN not US.
    When I opened file to import pop up window appeared asking if I wanted to create new account or link to existing account. Selected link to existing account however Capital one was not appearing in drop down box therefore could not link.
    I then selected create new account & file downloaded. Currency on acct screen showed CDN & balance in CDN dollars.

I had previously had Quicken starter. I got a new computer & decided to upgrade to Quicken Deluxe. I imported backup file & downloaded my 1st qfx file & this is when I had the problem. Prior to this I have never had a currency problem.
    Should I go back to Quicken starter as I don't know whether the problem is with Quicken Deluxe or reinstall Quicken Deluxe, import backup file, check that currency shows CDN, then download & save QFX. Check to make sure downloaded file shows currency as CDN then import & see what happens
  • mwlahnmwlahn Member ✭✭
    I can't believe that after this issue has been going on for SO LONG that Quicken hasn't come up with a fix. The last time it happened to me I reported it and needed help to get things straightened out (June) the folks on the chat line said that there were working on a fix. Now almost three months later it's still happening and no fix. *sigh*
  • A1MB1GA1MB1G Member ✭✭
    I setup various TD Bank accounts and credit cards in Quicken with Web Connect so it downloads transactions automatically. Every time I update my accounts, it changes the currency of my credit cards from CAD to USD. Any ideas/suggestions as to why this is happening?
  • ColinGruchyColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ditto with 2 CAD dollar credit card accounts. One with TD, one with RBC. I spent hours recreating the accounts because the transfers to my CAD chequing account started to make currency conversions when I was integrating the transfers. I finally got everything working. Then I made the stupid mistake of enabling Express Web Connect again. Once I did that, both accounts changed back to USD. So I put them both in the hidden list and started afresh with 2 brand new accounts which have remained CAD. [removed - rant redacted/off-topic]
  • dc600dc600 Member ✭✭
    This appears to be resolved now. No more changing the currency to Canadian
    Can anyone else confirm this?

? Add your vote here:

(

• lemayplemayp Member ✭✭
    I was using Quicken to download transactions from my capitalOne credit card for years. But very recently I realized that after a download of the transactions from the bank, the "Account Currency" suddenly changed to "U.S. Dollar", while it was "Canadian Dollar" before. It looks like if something in the download file was not properly set and affect my quicken account configuration for this credit card.

Anyway for me to set back my account to "Canadian Dollar"?
  • lemayplemayp Member ✭✭
    Hi,

Someone moved my questions inside this thread since my research didn't show me this thread. Whoever did that, it is very appreciated.

I have just downloaded my september transaction and attempt to follow the steps described in the second post just to realised that CapitalOne has finally fixed the issue, i.e. the following was already set in the .qfx file:

<CURDEF>CAD</CURDEF>

and the edit account details now show once again the Canadian Dollar as the currency.

I hope this will get resolved for everybody who faced the situation.

> @lemayp said:
    > I was using Quicken to download transactions from my capitalOne credit card for years. But very recently I realized that after a download of the transactions from the bank, the "Account Currency" suddenly changed to "U.S. Dollar", while it was "Canadian Dollar" before. It looks like if something in the download file was not properly set and affect my quicken account configuration for this credit card.
    >
    > Any way for me to set back my account to "Canadian Dollar"?
  • CoolHandJoeCoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    This has not been resolved. I have no US currency accounts. All my accounts were setup with CAD and updates did not break the accounts until I shut it down and opened it again days later. One of my 14 accounts a TD Line of Credit switched from CAD to USD. Downloading the QFX file and manually editing the entries is not acceptable for a product for which we pay on a monthly/yearly basis. How hard can it be to either setup something that pops up and says this account was CAD before the update and wants to change to USD is that correct? Yes/No. Or, allow an individual to change the currency. It's ridiculous that this has been around for so many years and it seems like such a simple thing to prevent it from happening in the first place. Please fix this it is driving me crazy. Quicken Home and Business 2019
This discussion has been closed.