Home Quicken for Windows All Things Canadian (Windows)

Quicken has changed the currency of some of my Canadian bank accounts to USD symbol, but the amount

13»

Answers

• CoolHandJoeCoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    Update. I just went through the process of creating a new account for the TD LOC in CAD and transferred my transactions. Without closing and opening Quicken I updated the account and it switched to USD. Very frustrating that I can't go into the account and manually set it but a little switch in a qfx file can screw the whole thing in a seemingly irreparable way ... forever with no prompting or warning. Truly, I don't feel like my data is safe with this organization at all. If Quicken can let a bug like this fester for years I wonder what else they're ignoring.
  • CoolHandJoeCoolHandJoe Member ✭✭
    One final update for anyone else that is also having this issue with TD. There is no option available through TD to download the .qfx file manually for the LOC accounts so the fix where you edit the line in the file from USD to CAD is not even possible. When I enter a transfer from my chequing it asks me to enter a conversion rate for the money. I could enter 1:1 but then I'm afraid the money will actually be entered as US funds and I'll have to undo all of this later somehow. Please, if that one little line in the download can change it from CAD to USD why can't you provide a method to change it back? Why can't I go into my account settings and change it? It's clearly possible and easy.
  • sol65sol65 Member ✭✭
    I'm using the US version of Quicken for Windows subscription desktop program and just experienced a similar problem. I live near Canada with two children living there so I have a few Canadian bank accounts along with serveral US bank, investment and credit card accounts. I don't have frequent transactions in the Canadian accounts. One of my Canadian accounts changed its currency from CAD to USD sometime in the past couple weeks much as others have described here. There is no easy fix. I suppose that create a "new" account in Quicken, transfer the balance and then hide the old account but all of my historical expense reporting will be incorrect.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sol65 the fix to try is as described in the Accepted Answer post in this thread, here:

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    @sol65 Hint for the future, if you use Copy instead of Move you should get prompted (at least not as much).  That has been a complaint for a long time that they have never addressed.  When you go to move a reconciled transaction they ask you if you want to do it.  Make sense for one transaction, but the ask on every transaction when doing multiple ones.  This way the FAQ on moving transaction suggests using Copy instead.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17263538#Comment_17263538
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
    @sol65 yes that is one way to compensate for the problem. Glad it worked out for you.

That said, since you are using the US version, how are you able to download data into the CAN acct? My understanding is that this bug is only occurs when downloading data from the bank into Quicken.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

edited February 24
    EDITED to make what I want to say clearer.

@smayer97 I don't see anywhere that @sol65 said he is using the US version of Quicken.  What I see is that he had some transactions where he wired  money from a US bank/account (which I'm guessing might be manually entered) or enter into his Canadian account that is in Quicken.

Besides the Move prompting on all the reconciled transactions, another thing it does is prompt/mess up any for the transactions that require a currency change.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
    edited February 24

@smayer97 I don't see anywhere that @sol65 said he is using the US version of Quicken.  ...
    Here:
    sol65 said:
    I'm using the US version of Quicken for Windows subscription desktop program and just experienced a similar problem....

? Add your vote here:

(

Boy I'm getting "blind" in my old age!
  • DRNCanDRNCan Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem with a US$ account and a CAN$ account. The US$ account started showing up as a CAD$ account and the CAD$ account shows up as a US$ account. I had chatted with support and in the end they suggested updating manually. Not sure how this is a fix. Nice to see that I am not the only one as the Quicken advisor said I was the only one they had ever heard had the problem! ... and they call it Support, lol.

If they would only let the user manually override the currency in Account Details it would solve the problem. Even put in an option in Preferences to allow you to update that field in Account Details if they are afraid someone might make and error. It is a real pain transferring funds from one account to another manually.

Come on Quicken, do your job and fix this!
This discussion has been closed.