Can not add online payees Quicken 2016 ver R18.4 build 25.1.18.4 and BofA

Not entirely sure when this started but it is fairly recent.

I can not add an online payee to Quicken.

I can enter all the information and at the last screen where it asks you to verify the info, when you press Accept the window closes and no new payee is added. 

Also if you add a payee at the BofA website the online payee doesn't show up in quicken.

And to add insult to injury if I do make a payment from an existing quicken Online Payee to BofA Or on the BofA website once the payment is cleared and I download the next time I Match the transaction and Quicken overwrites the BofA assigned check number with "Sent" OR if I dont Match it will add the same transaction as a New transaction.

I have been using Quicken since 1991 and this stuff drives me crazy

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    While this is an old link: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-bill-pay-with-bank-of-america

I believe it still addresses the BOA issue.  Also, you cannot add an online payee to BOA and expect it to sync to Q.  There is no interface to provide this data. 

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • Dana NanceDana Nance Member
    edited September 2018
    GeoffG said:

While this is an old link: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-bill-pay-with-bank-of-america

I believe it still addresses the BOA issue.  Also, you cannot add an online payee to BOA and expect it to sync to Q.  There is no interface to provide this data. 

Also, you cannot add an online payee to BOA and expect it to sync to Q.  There is no interface to provide this data.

It has worked in the past!

Thank you for the link I'll check it out
    edited September 2018
    GeoffG said:

I checked out the link bit there was nothing relevant to my issue.

I can upload a payment to BofA from the existing list of online payees and it shows up in BofA. I cannot create a new online payee in Quicken.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    GeoffG said:

Also, you cannot add an online payee to BOA and expect it to sync to Q.  There is no interface to provide this data.  
    That is an incorrect statement as Dana Nance pointed out.
    Direct Connect/OFX protocol for this is two-way.

Now whether the financial institution or Quicken messed it up in someway is another story.

When I had an Wells Fargo account some 15/20 years ago, and used bill pay (through Quicken) my online payee information synced just fine between the two.
    I could create online payees either in Quicken or on the Wells Fargo website.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    GeoffG said:

That has not been my experience with my FI.  I have a good number of online billers in Q that are not listed at my bank that pay without issue, and a few payees at the bank that are not listed in Q.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    GeoffG said:

I think that it must be up to the financial institution of what they want to support.  But the protocols are there to do it.
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for all the input BUT the underlying issue is NOT being able to create a new online payee...

The secondary issue is when doing a one step update a payment whether initiated at BofA or from quicken is not correctly linked to the payment in the register, it gets over written if you match it. if the payment date is changed at BofA it does not update in quicken,ETC ETC ETC.

QUICKEN Personnel What say you?

I did a Super patch (or whatever its called) I did a super validation, I disconnected and reconnected the account, I reset the account, I created the payee at BofA and it does not show up in quicken, I deleted older online payees thinking that maybe somehow I reached a maximum number of online payees. The only thing left to do is uninstall and reinstall but for the life of me I can not find the CD or online download.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thanks for all the input BUT the underlying issue is NOT being able to create a new online payee...

The secondary issue is when doing a one step update a payment whether initiated at BofA or from quicken is not correctly linked to the payment in the register, it gets over written if you match it. if the payment date is changed at BofA it does not update in quicken,ETC ETC ETC.

QUICKEN Personnel What say you?

I did a Super patch (or whatever its called) I did a super validation, I disconnected and reconnected the account, I reset the account, I created the payee at BofA and it does not show up in quicken, I deleted older online payees thinking that maybe somehow I reached a maximum number of online payees. The only thing left to do is uninstall and reinstall but for the life of me I can not find the CD or online download.

As I said I haven't used bill pay in a long time, so I can't give any advice on your problem.  There are other users here that are using it that might come in and make some suggestions, but I wanted to let you know this is mostly a user to user forum.  In general the Quicken employees that are posting here are "moderators".  They are to keep the forum running smoothly.   They aren't support people.  At times they do try to answer some problems they might have some idea about, but if you need direct support from Quicken you should be contacting Quicken Support:
    http://quicken.com/contact-support
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

I don't believe you have a Quicken software problem; I think you have a Quicken data problem.

I have no problem adding online payees to my Q2016 R18.4 file - and I use BofA for my billpayer.

To get a better indication, try creating a New (test) Quicken file. Setup the one BofA account in Quicken with billpay. See if you can add a new online payee in the New (test) file.

If you can add new online payees in the New (test) Quicken file; then I believe your regular file has a problem.

You could try deactivating all your BofA Quicken account(s) for Online Billpay, then reactivating them for Online Billpay.

In order to get a new online payee created at the BofA web site to download, also schedule a payment to that new payee at the BofA web site. The next One Step Update should download the new Online Payee and the new scheduled billpay transaction.

[If you do not have a real-world payment to use, just schedule a $1.00 payment for some date well in the future, do a One Step Update to get the online payee added to Quicken, then delete the scheduled bill payment.]

In the same vein; when I add a new Online Payee in Quicken, that payee does not get added to the Online Payee List at the BofA web site until I schedule a transaction for that new online payee.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited October 2018
    Duhhhh! I'll try that, cant believe I didn't think of that. Thanks
    edited October 2018
    mshiggins said:

From C. D. Bales:

I don't believe you have a Quicken software problem; I think you have a Quicken data problem.

I have no problem adding online payees to my Q2016 R18.4 file - and I use BofA for my billpayer.

To get a better indication, try creating a New (test) Quicken file. Setup the one BofA account in Quicken with billpay. See if you can add a new online payee in the New (test) file.

If you can add new online payees in the New (test) Quicken file; then I believe your regular file has a problem.

You could try deactivating all your BofA Quicken account(s) for Online Billpay, then reactivating them for Online Billpay.

In order to get a new online payee created at the BofA web site to download, also schedule a payment to that new payee at the BofA web site. The next One Step Update should download the new Online Payee and the new scheduled billpay transaction.

[If you do not have a real-world payment to use, just schedule a $1.00 payment for some date well in the future, do a One Step Update to get the online payee added to Quicken, then delete the scheduled bill payment.]

In the same vein; when I add a new Online Payee in Quicken, that payee does not get added to the Online Payee List at the BofA web site until I schedule a transaction for that new online payee.

Thank you MSHiggens and C. D. Bales

Well I have confirmed that it does seem to be a file issue.

I created a new quicken file and created the bofa accounts and linked via direct connect. on first update all my bofa online payees showed up in my online payee list in quicken (as expected) I was able to make a new payee and upload a payment to bofa  and it showed up in the payment to be made area in bofa. (as expected)

I went to original file ( with issue) and deactivated the account from bofa. I did a super validate. I closed Quicken reopened and re activated the direct connection to bofa. did an update and it downloaded new transactions, the pending payments created and uploaded in the "New" quicken bofa account.

I changed the payment date at bofa and did an update in the original quicken file( with issues) and the problem still exists, updated date comes in as a NEW transaction.

I switched to the "New" quicken file and did an update and it downloaded the updated payment and showed "Date Change" and when accepted, updated the original transaction.

ALL that being said.... How the heck do I fix the original file. I have been using  it since 1989 and do not want to start over or do a year end split or the like.

I suspect I can create a new quicken file that is blank and do an export/ import from the old file. ( thought I tried that once but it was not able to import all transactions????) guess I will try it again. Unless anyone has a better idea...

edited October 2018
    So I contacted Quicken CS, that was a waste. they told me to contact BofA  or create a new quicken file.
    I contacted BofA and as expected they don't have a fix.

It is clearly an issue with the existing quicken file and I can't for the life of me figure why quicken doesn't know how their file system works or have a tool to make changes to the file to make a correction.

edited October 2018
    I started looking at my backups 8-27-18 works as expected 9-1-18 does not work as expected release 18.4  9-2018 related???????
    edited October 2018
    Well the backup from 8-27-18 crashes quicken when I try to update with BofA. found an older file 8-19-18 that works as expected 
This discussion has been closed.