Recategorize Transactions When Removing A Category

MattMatt Member
I would like to see the ability to specify a new category to place transactions in when removing an existing category. Currently, it just places them in an uncategorized category.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You might approach this differently in how you change categories. Instead of removing it (which will result in uncategorized transx), rename the category in the Category list.

Or, use live searching and batch selecting/Get Info to batch change multiple transactions at once. 
  • MattMatt Member
    edited September 2018
    I was unaware of the batch change method, which helps a lot. Thank you for pointing that out.

Honestly, if you remove a category, you should be able to pick a different category to replace it. If you want that to be uncategorized, you can do that. But if you want it to be something else, you can do that as well.

In my case, I'm removing a couple of subcategories. I want to just recategorize them as the parent category. Part of this change is caused by Quicken wanting to continually categorize these transactions in the parent category after downloading. I've gotten sick of having to continually update the categories. But it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to maintain the subcategories anyway. 

One more thing. Does the above method work on a split transactions? I don't see how you could easily do that.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Matt said:

I was unaware of the batch change method, which helps a lot. Thank you for pointing that out.

Honestly, if you remove a category, you should be able to pick a different category to replace it. If you want that to be uncategorized, you can do that. But if you want it to be something else, you can do that as well.

In my case, I'm removing a couple of subcategories. I want to just recategorize them as the parent category. Part of this change is caused by Quicken wanting to continually categorize these transactions in the parent category after downloading. I've gotten sick of having to continually update the categories. But it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to maintain the subcategories anyway. 

One more thing. Does the above method work on a split transactions? I don't see how you could easily do that.

To your last question: no, batch editing does not work on Split transactions. That's a major shortcoming they need to fix. Please click to go to this idea thread about that functionality, and click on the blue Vote button at the upper right. This topic has been on the wishlist for a long time, has a significant number of votes, and wouldn't require underlying database/architecture changes to implement, so there's some reason to hope this will be implemented in the not-too-far-off future.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MattMatt Member
    edited September 2018
    Matt said:

Done. Thanks for the link.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Matt said:

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Matt said:

Matt,

If you want to change a subcategory to a main category, just open the Categories window and drag the subcategory out in between any two main categories. You will see a blue insertion line. Make sure the subcategory doesn't have the same name as an existing main category, or Quicken will ask you to merge them. If so, rename one first (unless you really do want to merge them). 

Keep in mind that Edit > Undo will undo these category changes if you make a mistake as long as you don't close the file.
  • MattMatt Member
    edited September 2018
    Matt said:

Again, something I didn’t realize. Then again, I’m just a casual user.

Maybe I should’ve made the suggestion to make the Quicken UI more intuitive. I guess I’ve been a little spoiled with some of the newer websites and apps that have a nice clean UI. I’m just thinking of a few ideas that would move Quicken in that direction.

My thought on this topic is that you should not have to go to the user manual unless you are doing something very advanced. Otherwise, the UI should be intuitive enough that you can figure it out. A lot of times that means having multiple ways to do the same thing, since intuitive means different things to different people.