Matching different transaction amounts

Quicken Home and Business 2018 R12.15

How can I match a manual transaction of $35 to a downloaded transaction of $200 in my register?

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you are using automatic transaction entry mode (transactions go directly into the register), change the amount of the manually entered transaction to $200 and then click on the red pencil/Uncleared status icon (you can see the text if you expand the Status/blue dot column), and select to Manually Match a downloaded transaction.  I dialog will come up with the downloaded transaction and you just need to accept it.

If you are not using automatic entry mode the downloaded transaction should be in the Downloaded Transactions tab, and the procedure would be to change the amount of the manual transaction to $200, and at that point Quicken should change the downloaded transaction's status from New to Match, and you can then click on it and accept it.

Note there is a manual match in the Downloaded Transactions tab that can be reached by selecting edit  on the downloaded transaction, but if you match the $35 to $200 Quicken will create a split transaction with a split line to make up the difference.  Most likely not what you want.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Daniel,
    you said: "How can I match a manual transaction of $35 to a downloaded transaction of $200 in my register?"

Why would you want to do that?
    Is there something more going on that you are not telling us, like
    • "How can I match multiple transactions (individual checks received from customers) to a single downloaded bank deposit transaction?"
    Please provide more detail.
  • Daniel GentDaniel Gent Member
    edited October 2018
    The $35 is what was owed to the account, the $200 was the payment made. $35 of it was to settle the account, and the remainder went towards another account.
    edited October 2018
    I apologize for the late response/lack of information.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In your checking account make one transaction for $200 deposit with Splits
    Category X                      35.00
    [other account] transfer 165.00
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

Are you not keeping the other account in Quicken? You got to put the $165 somewhere.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ultimately you need to end up like UKR said with a split transaction that has a total of the downloaded transaction, with splits for other transactions, but since there are several variations on how to get to that point I'm going to list the ones that come to mind.

One idea would be that you don't pre enter anything, and you just split the downloaded transaction once it is in the register.

The next is that you enter a split transaction like UKR suggested before the downloaded transaction comes in, and it should be match automatically to the downloaded transaction.

If you didn't get that split transaction in before the downloaded transaction, you update your manually entered transaction(s) to be one split transaction, and then use the manual match methods I described above.

If you aren't using automatic entry mode there are is two more variations of this process.

One is you have two transactions in your register, one is for the $35 with some category.  The other is the transfer to the other account for $165.

If you select the downloaded transaction ($200) in the Downloaded Transactions tab and then select Edit -> Match Manually and this dialog will come up:

And as you can see you can select multiple transactions.

If you do this and the Difference is zero, what Quicken will do is combine those two transactions into one split transaction, and then combine it with your downloaded one.

The last variation, what if you started with only the $35 transaction in the register.
    If you did the same manual match, selecting just the $35 transaction, and then accepted that match with the difference, Quicken will again create a split transaction, but the second split line will be for $165 with no category.  You would need to go into that transaction and put in the right account for the transfer.

Edit:
    Note that when in automatic entry mode the Manual Match dialog will only allow for matching one transaction for the exact amount, so you would have to use one of the other methods that get the split transaction in first.
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for the detailed response. I have been searching around the web and found others referring to the "Downloaded Transactions" tab, mine appears to be missing. I have been through my settings and can't seem to find some missed check box or anything. Any ideas why?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thank you for the detailed response. I have been searching around the web and found others referring to the "Downloaded Transactions" tab, mine appears to be missing. I have been through my settings and can't seem to find some missed check box or anything. Any ideas why?

When in automatic transaction entry mode you don't have a Downloaded Transactions tab.  You review your transactions in the register.

With automatic entry mode off you get a Downloaded Transactions tab at the bottom of each register.  Your downloaded transactions go there and you have need to click on each and accept them into the register.

There is both a global setting for this, and you can override it per account:
    Global:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions -> Automatically add to...
    There is one setting for non investment accounts, and another for investment accounts.

To override per account right click on an account in the Account bar and select Edit/Delete account -> Online Services tab -> select the Automatic entry link.
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

The other account is in quicken.
    edited October 2018
    Thank you again, I got the split portion figured out finally. I apologize I am crash coursing myself through this program. How do I get the split payment linked to the invoice it was to pay? When I enter receive payment it creates a duplicate entry, but the invoice shows a balance due.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thank you again, I got the split portion figured out finally. I apologize I am crash coursing myself through this program. How do I get the split payment linked to the invoice it was to pay? When I enter receive payment it creates a duplicate entry, but the invoice shows a balance due.

Well that is where I "drop out" of the picture because I don't use Home & Business and as such don't have invoices.  Hopefully someone that does will be able to answer.
    edited October 2018

Thank you so much for your help!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Daniel,
    if all of this Q&A here is about marking a Customer Invoice as paid when the customer pays more than one due invoice with one payment ...
    Quicken will not properly mark invoices as paid if you receive payment in your checking account and mark it as a transfer to your [Customer Invoices] account.
    If customer pays with direct deposit into your checking or PayPal, etc., account ... Before accepting downloaded transactions go into your Customer Invoices account and record a New Customer Payment transaction for $200, as per your example.
    In this dialog mark the invoice(s) that this payment applies to ($35 in your example).
    Any excess ($165) will be held as a credit towards future invoices. (Note the Existing Credits box in the dialog. Apply any existing credits from prior payments you have received so that all your invoices that have not been marked paid properly will now be marked as paid.)
    Once you have processed this customer's payment and saved the transaction you can go back into your checking account and accept the downloaded transaction, making sure that it is matched to the payment (deposit) transaction you just created.
  • Rick GumpertzRick Gumpertz Member
    edited October 2018
    Please explain in much more detail what the $35 is and what the other $165 is.  Was there a $35 deposit to the account or a $200 deposit?
        - If $35, where did the other $165 disappear to?  Why did the bank think the deposit was $165?
        - If $200, where did the other $165 come from?  Why did you enter a transaction for only $35?