Offer Stock Ticker Symbols in brokerage account registers....and more....

QW 2016 Premier and probably most other versions/platforms.....

When working with incoming dividends (and probably other places too) it would sure help if the Ticker Symbol as well as the Name were available/shown in the account registers (and again, probably other places too).

for instance

ISHARES CORE S&P SMALL-CAP E
and
ISHARES CORE S&P TOTAL US STOCK MARKET EFT

can be almost indistinguishable if the column in the register shows only the first few characters of a Name.

IJR
ITOT

are much easier to recognize.

There is a similar problem in the Bills area when trying to manage dividends.  The long official name are there but not ticker symbols.

Bottom line:  
I would like to suggest that when possible; display (either/both) the names & ticker symbols for securities. 

Just a thought.

P.S. In most cases I can think of,  if I could only have one or the other... Ticker Symbols would wind hands down.

2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    While you are waiting for this to be implemented, have you considered adding the symbol to the security name?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited December 2018
    Sounds like a neat little work-around.
    I'll make a working copy of my data file and give it a try.
    Thank you very much.  :-)

P.S.
    Might you know of any other discussion/reading along these lines?

P.P.S.
    Any time I find something like that I worry that there might be some unexpected side effects.

Wonder if the key field in a security's record is either the Ticker Symbol or the Name.  Hopefully/maybe it's a system generated key that only the coders see.  Otherwise changing might be "Challenging".  

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    The key field for quotes is the ticker.

The key field for matching to downloaded transactions and balances is the CUSIP. If the downloaded CUSIP doesn't match one of your securities, you get a Match confirmation dialog that suggests a match by comparing your names to the downloaded name.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • edited December 2018
    AH SO... CUSIP... that would seem to be the most reasonable key.

I had noticed that CUSIP appeared in the Security Name for Domestic Bonds and as the Symbol for those bonds.

I'm a thinking that even though system generated symbol for Domestic Bonds might duplicate the record's Key field in the Symbol field changing the Symbol would have no impact on the key field which would still be the CUSIP....RIGHT?

I doubt it... but is the KEY FIELD (CUSIP) easily viewable?  Think'n it would be a REALLY dangerous field to edit.

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    In QWin 2018, you can see the CUSIP field by going to Tools > Security list  or in the Security Detail view > Edit Security Details > Other Info. 

You are not allowed to edit the CUSIP ID, but you can clear it in Edit Security Details by un-checking Matched with online Security. That will force Quicken to go through the matching dialog and resetting it the next time you download from your brokerage.

When matching, make sure you pick the correct security, since similarly named but different securities (different share classes of a mutual fund for example) must be kept separate.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • edited December 2018
    Thank you.  
    I have a new toy I can play with on a rainy afternoon.

Naturally when I picked my first random CUSIP to play with it was a Call Option and that wasn't a good place to start.

BUT... I can now add another $0.02 worth into my general fund of knowledge.
    Thanks again.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited December 2018
    I notice that this IDEA thread has been flagged for both QWin and QMac... If you want, you can add your VOTE to Add Security Symbol column to investment accounts' transactions view.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests Related to Investments (for QMac). Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • It would be so useful to have the transactions List on investment accounts display the ticket symbol.  Please allow this and/or make the transactions list configurable.