Reports default currency - not USD

Unknown
Unknown Member
I'M using QUicken Canada deluxe 2018. I have accounts in multiple currencies but - using the canadian edition - my preferred default would be CAD.  All reports and graphs are showing in USD. How can I change the default to see my reports to show CAD?  On side question, why are projected balances shown in USD instead of the currency set for this account?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If I only knew the Canadian version ...

In the US version you have two places to control the currency in reports and views:
    - In the Currency List, choose a currency as the "Home currency"
    - In reports, when viewing a report, click the Customize gear icon. In the Display tab select the "Currency" from the pulldown list.

Reports showing data from accounts of multiple currencies, the default setting is to use "Home Currency". Individual transactions will be converted as needed.
    To get the account's actual currency to show in a report, filter the report to select only $ - accounts (or C$ accounts).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

In the US version you have two places to control the currency in reports and views:
    - In reports, when viewing a report, click the Customize gear icon. In the Display tab select the "Currency" from the pulldown list.

Reports showing data from accounts of multiple currencies, the default setting is to use "Home Currency". Individual transactions will be converted as needed.
    To get the account's actual currency to show in a report, filter the report to select only $ - accounts (or C$ accounts).

Thanks for quick answer... I found it for reports.  In the canadian version there is nowhere to set home currency.  I went to help section also and it's not suggesting anything about it.  I may have to move to US version.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

> " I may have to move to US version."
    Don't.
    If you file taxes in Canada, download transactions from Canadian banks and brokerages, print paper cheques drawn on Canadian banks, etc. stay with the Canadian version.
    The US version can only communicate with US banks and brokerages and is geared towards the US Income Tax system. There is no "can-do-both-US-and-Canadian-things" version (yet?).
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)
    Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

Canadian SuperUser jumping in here... 

I'm not sure offhand why @Martin is seeing reports in USD, but I can attest that isn't normal. I can probably assist with this sometime this weekend, but not today.

I'll try and follow up on this sometime over the next few days.

I will echo UKR's comment - switching to the US version would be a disaster. BTW, the Canadian version actually has much better multi-currency support that the US version.

Oh, yes, I do have CAD and USD bank accounts and I have CAD and USD investment accounts and it all that works fine for me... so, I have to suggest, whatever the problem, it is solvable. ...and the solution isn't switching to the US version of Q.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    @UKR I have bought the US version just now before reading your reply. But it's not allowing me to install saying my PC don,t meet requirements - which it does... whatever.. this SW angers me so much sometimes.  I asked for a refund and re-installed the CAD version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

Thanks! That would be much appreciated. I don't understand why My home and all pages and and projected balances are showing in USD. I see nowhere a place to set a home currency. I would think - having the CAD version - it should show in CAD by default. Is it also normal that projected balances are not shown in the account set currency?  it's also all showing in USD. (eg Euro account projected balance showing in USD)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I even made sure that my laptop default currency is CAD in case it could impact.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Meanwhile, you may want to add your VOTE to Merge support for importing data from US and CA FIs/Banks for US and CA versions of QWin.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
    edited December 2018
    @Martin: Here is where you set the currency for reports. You open this dialogue box by clicking the gear icon. You can then set the reporting currency. Does this satisfactorily address your issue?

edited December 2018
    @Martin: I just noticed that you indicated you found the setting for reports already. Can you better explain or provide a photo of what is still not reporting in the correct currency? There is no home currency for the Canadian version. The home currency for the Canadian version is locked to CAD. More specifically, what exactly are you referring to when you refer to "projected balances"?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    @Martin by any chance was your data file created using an US version of Quicken?

I have the opportunity in the past of having both versions and I can give a bit of details on what I saw.

When I took my US data file and opened it in the Canadian version it opened it with no problem, but of course the home currency was set to USD. And for whatever reason they don't have a way to change it in the Canadian version as you have all noted.

And playing around with both versions I was able change the home currency on the US version (no matter which version created the data file).

So basically I think if the data file has its home currency set to USD, the only way to get it to CAD would be to open the data file in the US version of Quicken.

Above you said that you bought the US version of Quicken, but couldn't get it installed.
    My best guess on that is because you tried to install it on a machine where the Canadian version is already installed.  For the most part the US and the Canadian version are the same program, and as such there is no way to have them both installed on the same machine at the same time.

So you could install on another machine or try uninstalling the Canadian version first.
    I would also suggest if you want to do that you use this procedure to get a clean uninstall:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

@Martin by any chance was your data file created using an US version of Quicken?

I have the opportunity in the past of having both versions and I can give a bit of details on what I saw.

When I took my US data file and opened it in the Canadian version it opened it with no problem, but of course the home currency was set to USD. And for whatever reason they don't have a way to change it in the Canadian version as you have all noted.

And playing around with both versions I was able change the home currency on the US version (no matter which version created the data file).

So basically I think if the data file has its home currency set to USD, the only way to get it to CAD would be to open the data file in the US version of Quicken.

Above you said that you bought the US version of Quicken, but couldn't get it installed.
    My best guess on that is because you tried to install it on a machine where the Canadian version is already installed.  For the most part the US and the Canadian version are the same program, and as such there is no way to have them both installed on the same machine at the same time.

So you could install on another machine or try uninstalling the Canadian version first.
    I would also suggest if you want to do that you use this procedure to get a clean uninstall:

i think you nailed it...  I've been switching between USD and CAD versions... the file i use was probably created in USD... iwill create a new file from the CAD version to see... i may have to transfer the content...  I removed the CAD version to try to install USD... it didn't work.. won't install... it says my PC don't meet requirements.  I'm using windows emulator on a mac.  I will try to create a new file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

@Martin: I just noticed that you indicated you found the setting for reports already. Can you better explain or provide a photo of what is still not reporting in the correct currency? There is no home currency for the Canadian version. The home currency for the Canadian version is locked to CAD. More specifically, what exactly are you referring to when you refer to "projected balances"?

yes i was able to make specific reports in CAD.  it's the report in main pages that is a problem.  like spending tabs and home tabs and projected balances...  but i think the issue is that I opened a USD file on a CAD version... somehow the base currency must be hard coded as USD... i will test
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Meanwhile, you may want to add your VOTE to Merge support for importing data from US and CA FIs/Banks for US and CA versions of QWin.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

done! :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    so that was it... because i imported a file created in the US version to the Canadian version, it kept base currency as USD. I would have to transfer all, account by account and rebuild a new CAD file to have the balances of default reports and views in CAD.  Definitely it would be a good feature to add the Home base currency to the Canadian version. Also - most disappointing feature - the projected balances are always shown in home currency and not in the account set currency.  Since currencies are always fluctuating and the exchange rate in the app is rarely the one actually applied, it makes it difficult to use projected balances for foreign currencies accounts.  Ms Money was better on this. oh well.  Thanks all for your help, I was surprised how quick people pitched in the help.  cheers
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

The emulator must make it think it is Windows XP, which Quicken US 2018 doesn't support.  Interesting that the Canadian version doesn't have the same problem since it is basically the same code.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

so that was it... because i imported a file created in the US version to the Canadian version, it kept base currency as USD. I would have to transfer all, account by account and rebuild a new CAD file to have the balances of default reports and views in CAD.  Definitely it would be a good feature to add the Home base currency to the Canadian version. Also - most disappointing feature - the projected balances are always shown in home currency and not in the account set currency.  Since currencies are always fluctuating and the exchange rate in the app is rarely the one actually applied, it makes it difficult to use projected balances for foreign currencies accounts.  Ms Money was better on this. oh well.  Thanks all for your help, I was surprised how quick people pitched in the help.  cheers

If you know someone that has a Windows machine that might be willing to help you could install the US version there and switch the home currency on your data file. And then it should be fine in the Canadian version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

indeed... I run windows 10 on the emulator... so it meets requirements.  US doesn't install at all, but canadian version does. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

I still have a windows laptop... i will try that.  Biggest disappointment though is really not seeing project balances in currency of the account...  It seems like obvious, in terms of code it's even easier as it wouldn't have to add lookup to conversion table.   but yea, software work in mysterious ways sometimes :)

edited October 2018
    Martin said:

@Martin: I'm still not certain that I understand what you mean by projected balances; however, if you are referring to the pane on the left hand side that indicates the current balances for each account, those ARE presented in the account's denominated currency. I have a mix of USD and CAD accounts. The CAD ones just have a $ whereas the USD ones have a US$ prefix. Are you referring to some other view? Perhaps you can be more specific.
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

In the emulator, how much memory have you allocated to Win 10? It is possible that Quicken US requires more than Quicken CAD. I'm guessing here, but that is a plausible explanation for the "does not meet requirements" statement.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

in 'Bills and Income' tab... there is 'Projected Balances' a very cool tab if you never used.  The currencies are showing right on the side bar with the accounts names and balance though
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

good point... it could be.  The error message was pointing to the version on windows though.  but mayeb trying to up the memory and cores would have helped. I may try later.
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

Yes, the "Projected Balance" on the bills and income tab is always in the home currency. I tend to look at projected balance in my register instead, and that way I can see all the detail and the line items and projected balance are in the account's native currency. 

I believe that the reason the projected balance on the bills and income tab is in the home currency is because it does allow you to show groups of accounts and the comprising accounts might be in mixed currencies... so, it shows them all in a common currency.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

Oh thanks, I had not seen we could add upcoming activities there... I assume there is no way to add a graph... especially showing future transactions?  I see there is 'Account overview' that includes a graph for past but then again it shows in Home currency
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

You can add images in JPG format by using the CAMERA (not Movie camera) icon below.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Martin said:

Thanks.. i meant for the software to generate a graph showing upcoming balances like on the tab Bills and income/Projected Balance
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Thanks for this - I have been struggling for the past year with the identical issue, trying to figure out how to set my home currency to CAD while using the CAD version of Quicken.  I had also transitioned from the US version, which I'd used for decades previously.  I am so aggravated having to go in and re-set the currency EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a report - and then if you do a drill-down report, you have to do it again.  This is especially problematic when doing taxes because if I forget to change the setting on each and every report I run, then I'm reporting incorrectly.  What would be involved in creating a new CAD file on the CAD version of Quicken?  It is key that I be able to keep all the past data.  Thanks for any thoughts.
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

@Larissa: a couple of thoughts here...

Once you have a report customized to your liking, you can save the report so that you don't have to reconfigure it next time.

I have never used the US version. Nonetheless, others have indicated that you can set the Home currency in the US version. Why not open your file in the US version and set the Home currency to Canadian and then use that file in the Canadian version?

Note: I would take care not to change other things when the file is open in the US version. There are other things that don't port well. For example, the investment classes won't appear correctly when you've set the allocations in one version and opened it in the other.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Thanks for these thoughts. Yes, I can save customized reports, but every time I try to zoom in on anything, it reverts to USD, even though all the accounts are set to CAD. You can’t have both the US version and the Cdn version on the same computer - my old US software was uninstalled when I took the plunge and converted to the Cdn version. BUT, there is a fairly high likelihood that I still have the US version on another laptop. I’ll think about what you’ve suggested - I think it’s worth trying although I doubt it will go smoothly! Thanks for the suggestion!
This discussion has been closed.