What are the mondo patches and when are they needed or not needed

What are the mondo patches and when are they needed?  What are their pros and cons?

All I see is vague information about the mondo patch, such as: 

"Mondo Patch Update: If you are unable
to update Quicken, or if you receive an error while updating, download
the Mondo Patch update (because of its size, the Mondo Patch can take
longer to install)."

I have used a lot of software in my lifetime and I have never come across anything like this.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks something smells. 

http://commonsensej.blogspot.com/2015/06/intuits-troubled-quicken.html

When one of the most comprehensive description comes in this form, you know you are in trouble:

<u style="text-decoration-line: line-through;">https://supporthelp.com/how-to-update-mondo-patch-quicken-2017-for-windows/<br></u>(Scam link)

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There is two form of the patch installs "normal" and "Mondo" (Mondo refers to "big").

The "normal" is an increment update with just the files needed for the update, and it also checks the version number of the files as it is installing and skips any file that is already at the same version or newer.

The "Mondo" has "all the files" and ignores the versions of the files that it is installing, and as such replaces all the files during the install no matter if they are older, the same, or newer than the ones it is installing.

There is nothing "smelly" about them.

The main reason for providing both is the Mondo patch files tend to be larger and install more so they tend to take more time to download and install.

As of the blog post and bugs and such.  There are some problems that are out of Quicken Inc's control like the ever changing financial institution websites that break Express Web Connect downloading of transactions.

Other are more under their control, like introducing bugs while adding new features.

If you ask long time users it usually goes like this "Why did you put in useless XXX feature?  You shouldn't add these features, you should only do bug fixes!  And in the next breath, except of course for the features I would like (... ignore all those other user requests!)"

And of course the "Quicken is so old (over 30 year) and buggy they should rewrite it all, and be done in a week... (no idea what it really takes)"  Quicken Mac started a total rewrite in 2007 and they still haven't got all the features of Quicken Mac 2007 (but a few new ones), let alone equal to Quicken 2018 Windows.

The truth is that they are probably between a hard place and a rock.  I'm sure the code is very complicated and convoluted after all these years.  But is actually that code that is their edge up over everyone else.  The concepts on what Quicken does isn't complicated, it is all the thousands of details adding up the makes it hard to reproduce.
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

There is two form of the patch installs "normal" and "Mondo" (Mondo refers to "big").

The "normal" is an increment update with just the files needed for the update, and it also checks the version number of the files as it is installing and skips any file that is already at the same version or newer.

The "Mondo" has "all the files" and ignores the versions of the files that it is installing, and as such replaces all the files during the install no matter if they are older, the same, or newer than the ones it is installing.

The main reason for providing both is the Mondo patch files tend to be larger and install more so they tend to take more time to download and install.

As of the blog post and bugs and such.  There are some problems that are out of Quicken Inc's control like the ever changing financial institution websites that break Express Web Connect downloading of transactions.

Other are more under their control, like introducing bugs while adding new features.

If you ask long time users it usually goes like this "Why did you put in useless XXX feature?  You shouldn't add these features, you should only do bug fixes!  And in the next breath, except of course for the features I would like (... ignore all those other user requests!)"

And of course the "Quicken is so old (over 30 year) and buggy they should rewrite it all, and be done in a week... (no idea what it really takes)"  Quicken Mac started a total rewrite in 2007 and they still haven't got all the features of Quicken Mac 2007 (but a few new ones), let alone equal to Quicken 2018 Windows.

The truth is that they are probably between a hard place and a rock.  I'm sure the code is very complicated and convoluted after all these years.  But is actually that code that is their edge up over everyone else.  The concepts on what Quicken does isn't complicated, it is all the thousands of details adding up the makes it hard to reproduce.

All the patches and updates don't sound like sound software design to me.  But then again, what do I know.  I am hoping that we get some more explanation on this.

So if someone needs to upgrade from Quicken 20XX version y to Quicken 20XX version y + 1, they are sometimes told to download the mondo patch?  They are downloading far larger than what's needed?  Once they have used this mondo path, how does what's on their computer now differ from someone that didn't jump through the extra hoop (besides the mondo patch being on their computer)?
  • edited December 2018
    I think something smells alright.

Those links you offered:
    • 3 years old; when Intuit was running the show, from who?????
    • supporthelp.com.  ...    really?  Fraudulent support site.  That someone will probably call because you posted the number.
    Come on now...  Hope the moderators are watching.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Silverthunder ,

The Mondo Patch was created by Intuit / Quicken and now carried forward by Quicken, Inc for Customers that aren't Software Geeks, but a lazy person's out.

It covers up a problem, on the Customer's Computer, to be honest.

For Quicken 2018 Windows Versions, the Correct way to fix a problem with Quicken's Behavior, is simply to uninstall, clean and then reinstall Quicken. The Reinstall process brings Quicken Up to the latest version available.

To me, the fastest way to correct a problem and do maintenance on the Computer at the same time, is to follow the suggestions in this article:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/reinstalling-quicken-2018-for-windows?rfm=1&...

The Manual Patch Update is provided by Quicken, Inc., to allow Customers the ability to get the latest version, fast, before the patch is released to the General Customer Audience. The patches are posted by Quicken, for that reason. Otherwise, the patch is downloaded through the Quicken Program, itself.

Intuit no longer owns Quicken, but does own the Name Quicken, which licenses the Name Quicken for others to use.

Reference:  https://www.quicken.com/
    Scroll down.

"© 2018 Quicken Inc. All rights reserved. Quicken is a registered trademark of Intuit Inc., used under license.
    "

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

In a perfect world the Mondo patches wouldn't be needed.  And the "normal" ones might not be needed either.  In fact in a perfect world no patches would be needed.

In a perfect world all software would be the "final release", as in it would have all the features the user every wanted, and no bugs and as such would never need updating.  But of course this isn't a perfect world, and things change, so updates are needed.

If you are upgrading to a supported version of Quicken after the install it checks for updates and downloads them and installs them automatically.

These updates are designed to be "incremental".  As in they only contain the files that are needed to bring the software up to the point where the software is "current".

Right off the bat there is a "problem" in that statement.  "supported" for old versions of Quicken is about 3.5 years from the release.  After that point if you don't have the latest patch install, then you can't bring your version of Quicken up to the "most current patch level".  Customers should be saving these patches.
    But for the ones haven't the SuperUsers contributed the old patches they had, and I made them available here: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

The "non" mondo patch is just like what would be sent automatically to the supported versions of Quicken.

The Mondo patch is like I said "all the files".  In a way it is just like the original install, but will not install unless the original install is first installed.  This ensures you have paid for that version of Quicken.

And the other difference I noted is that when the non Mondo patch installs say it need to install fileX.exe it will first check the version of fileX.exe and if it is already at the version it has in the install package it will skip it.  This allows for a faster install, and also in some cases for an install where the customer might already have a newer version of a file on their machine and so it will keep that version.  This is needed in some cases of updates.  I don't think Quicken really needs this, but this is a standard install package that allows for that use case.

In a perfect world that would be all that is needed.  But again this isn't a perfect world.
    As thecreator said below sometimes there are problems on the customer machine, like bad permissions or installing the wrong way, or someone changing files, or a disk write failure...

So the Mondo patch install copies all the files over replacing all the files trying to get the customer's machine to match what the developers actually released.

No matter if you get the patch automatically, or manually install the non Mondo patch, or the Mondo patch install the goal is always the same.  And that is to get all the program files that Quicken used to the state that the developers intended them to be.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Those links you offered:

• supporthelp.com.  ...    really?  Fraudulent support site.  That someone will probably call because you posted the number.
    Yes, I agree, the Moderators should take out those links.  They are old and lead support sites that charged people money when they can get Quicken support for free for supported versions.  Or come here if their version isn't supported, and ask other users for free.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Those links you offered:

P.S. If you click on the number next to the UNFOLLOW button, you can see who is following this thread.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

P.S. on the size of all the patches.  Some of them are "very large".  Larger than the original install.  The reason for this is because the patch system they were/are using isn't perfect either.   The newer patch system they have been using for about a year now might be better, time will tell.  But what was happening is that the first patch comes out with the files that changed. Now the go to do the second patch.  You might have some customers at the original install level, and some at patch one.  So patch two adds the files that changed from patch 1 to 2.  And so on.
    During the install of the patch it looks first installs patch 1, and then 2, and on and on.

The sum of all the changes can far exceed the original number of files installed because some files might have been changed multiple times.  And an ironic twist can happen, the Mondo patch can be smaller than the non Mondo patch if enough of these multiple changes of the same file happen.

Also note on the patches at my site I have been keeping them up to date for several years now.
  • SilverthunderSilverthunder Member
    edited October 2018
    QPW said:

Thanks, good explanation.  Thank you also for everything else you do in this community.  Some of my complaints were probably unfounded.  One complaint of mine that still seems to hold is that Quicken or Intuit do not explain these things themselves.  I can understand Quicken having poor support staff (they want to keep their costs in check so that the price of the software doesn't have to be too high).  But, spending a few thousand to have some proper help information on their website, seems to be a no brainer.