Quicken Win 2019 Premier Running Slow

Background:  Updated to QWin Premier 2019 R14.23  Build 27.1.14.23 from last version of QWin Premier 2018 as part of membership.  Very long time Quicken user, annual upgrades prior to membership, large ~170MB data file with transactions going back nearly 25 years and multiple accounts, several with many transactions. 

After the upgrade to QWin 2019, observed that Quicken operates much slower than the 2018 version in loading and displaying the file after launching Quicken, opening an investing account which has many transactions, accepting / entering downloaded transactions in an investment account (though one-step update appears to operate with the equivalent performance as the 2018 version).  Recent releases of Quicken had improved performance, but with this Quicken update performance has degraded for me.

Anyone else observing similar degradation in performance after the update to QWin 2019?

Comments

• bill Lbill L Member
    edited October 2018
    my data is a lot less but I am having the same problem. Also registers a duplicate of a transaction and then disappears.Seems a little buggy right now
  • TerryTerry Member
    edited January 22
    I have the same problem I had with Quicken Premier 2018 for Win as I do now with 2019 version.  When open my Account List it fills my screen even if I adjust it, close it and restart the program.  If I do anything in my Accounts Lists it freezes.  Any thoughts from any body? Or should we ask the Quicken tech guys to take a look at it.  So far this is the only problem I have found with the new version.

Terry
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 18.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 will be upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 14.23+ patch released
    10/8/2018

- 2019 ... Release R 14.23 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 12.8 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

3) Everyone in their own separate Community Posts (we like to keep problem solving discussions down to one user per post) ...
    Please provide more
    details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if
    you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding
    16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to
    see the "File Information" window 
    (See below)

Is any cloud backup
    software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is
    running?

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g.
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how
    many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:

- Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you
    have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of
    Transactions".

If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at
    the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of
    Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the
    Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box.
    Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it
    here.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or
    GIF.

To attach the image
    here, start composing your response. At the bottom of the text entry window
    you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera
    icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select and upload the
    captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at
    wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Steve DSteve D Member
    edited January 13

I've got the same problem. Quicken Premier 2019 (build 27.1.14.27) runs like a snail. When adding a transaction or entering an expense transaction (paying a bill), once ENTER is clicked it takes 8-9 seconds for it to take effect and show on the register. I've timed it with a stopwatch and times are consistently at or longer than 8.5 seconds. I had no problem with the 2018 version. This is making it almost unusable. I've done the VALIDATION as above without any improvement.
    The 2019 version promised that we would "Enjoy a fresh, streamlined Quicken experience". This is definitely not the case, as it is neither enjoyable nor streamlined.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Steve D said:

I've got the same problem. Quicken Premier 2019 (build 27.1.14.27) runs like a snail. When adding a transaction or entering an expense transaction (paying a bill), once ENTER is clicked it takes 8-9 seconds for it to take effect and show on the register. I've timed it with a stopwatch and times are consistently at or longer than 8.5 seconds. I had no problem with the 2018 version. This is making it almost unusable. I've done the VALIDATION as above without any improvement.
    The 2019 version promised that we would "Enjoy a fresh, streamlined Quicken experience". This is definitely not the case, as it is neither enjoyable nor streamlined.

Steve,
    which view in Quicken are you working with? Bill, Income & Transfer view from the Bills & Income tab? The account register? Some other view?
    Can you give us the File Information view (as described above) ... and please start your own separate NEW POST if you want us to dig deeper into your issue.
  • TerryTerry Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the same version and build.  No problems with  the registries or account List.  Runs smooth and fast.  Could it be a hardware issue?   I am running a 2017 HP All-in-One Desktop, Model BJ00D4T with 12.0 GB RAM 64-bit operating system X64-based process processor with a Intel(R) Core(TM i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHZ 2l.90 GHz.  
  • Steve DSteve D Member
    edited January 13
    Steve D said:

Working with "Bill, Income & Transfer" view. It even takes the 8-9 seconds just to switch between the different views (Stack View, Calendar View, etc.), along with the other option boxes. As I said before, this was not a problem with the 2018 version.
    Here's the File Information view you asked for:

Also, I don't think it's a hardware issue. Just tried it on another computer and I have the same problem.
    Just looking for a fix.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, Steve, for the version information.
    The Bills, Income & Transfer view can be slow when it needs to rebuild the entire list of reminders you have in your data file.
    I find that this setting works best for my slow Intel Core I3 processor:

Since there have been several complaints about this view, I'm hoping for the Quicken programmers to be working on improving it in a future release.
  • GoQwknGoQwkn Member
    edited October 2018
    Amendment to my original post.  Patch release updated Qwin Premier 2019 to R14.27 Build 27.1.14.27.  Did not observe any material improvements to issues mentioned in my original post.  Loading and displaying my large (~170MB) data file is slow, taking between 18-20 seconds.

Answers to some questions / comments in the reply.  Performed the various "troubleshooting 101" tips.  Largest single account has 10,600 transactions.  No cloud backup software is actively accessing my data file while Quicken is running.
  • Roger EversonRoger Everson Member ✭✭
    edited January 23

I am truly surprised at how little
    outcry there is about this slow response issue.

I've been using quicken
    so long, I think my first version actually ran on DOS.  There have been
    many complaints over the years, but I've always considered it a bit of picky
    whining.  This is different.  Nearly every action is slow.  Many
    actions, such as switching views, finding transactions, initiating reports, and
    most especially, anything involving the Bills and Income tab are agonizingly
    slow.  Switching from one view to another can easily take 15 to 30
    seconds.  

Yes, I have a lot of transactions, over 40,000. So
    what?  You do expect us to actually use the program, do you not?

Does the Quicken support team not see these issues? Do they
    even care?  I think, at the very least, they should acknowledge the
    problem and talk about the efforts to correct it.  Remember, we pay
    you to provide a quality product.

What say you, Quicken team?

edited October 2018

I've been using quicken
    seconds.  

Really? No more comments?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    First, understand this is a user to user forum.  There are no Q developers monitoring this site.  So you are a long time user, but you did not state what version you are on or what troubleshooting you've attempted.  Have you followed any of the validation steps outlined above?

As a rough benchmark, I can say that Q2019 runs on my system about the same as previous versions. 

Post back the needed info so someone can better assist you.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • Dean MechlerDean Mechler Member
    edited January 10
    Q 2019  R14.27  B1.14.27 
    EXTREMELY slow to load and then works ok...
    i7 w/ m.2 SSD and 16 gig Ram.
    Get it Fixed!
    edited November 2018
    GeoffG said:

First, understand this is a user to user forum.  There are no Q developers monitoring this site.  So you are a long time user, but you did not state what version you are on or what troubleshooting you've attempted.  Have you followed any of the validation steps outlined above?

As a rough benchmark, I can say that Q2019 runs on my system about the same as previous versions. 

I regret the error, but the post started with the version numbers in the first post That said, as of this morning, I am running Quicken 2019, Home and Business, version 15.16, Build 27.1.15.16.  I understand that this is a user forum, but Quicken Sarah shows up from time to time, who is "official",  Further, I'm not noticing any improvements after this morning's update, with full understanding that I have been running with this particular update for about 15 minutes.  This updated with no prior notice or opportunity to pause, FWIW.
    edited November 2018
    GeoffG said:

Have you attempted UKR's validation steps mentioned above?  This is the single most effective method of resolving data file issues.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • GoQwknGoQwkn Member
    edited November 2018
    Patch release updated Qwin Premier 2019 to R15.16 Build 27.1.15.16.  Did not observe any material improvements to load time performance issues mentioned in my original post. 
  • ADAWDADAWD Member
    edited December 2018
    I am also a 25 year user and the latest 2019 version is absolutely the slowest I have EVER experienced ... almost to the point I can't use it!  The area it seems to slow down the most is in investment accounts.  I try to enter a trade and it takes 60 to 90 seconds to enter the transaction after i hit save.  I can't believe they are advertising 2019 version as the fastest version yet when I experiencing the exact opposite in 25 years.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    ADAWD said:

I am also a 25 year user and the latest 2019 version is absolutely the slowest I have EVER experienced ... almost to the point I can't use it!  The area it seems to slow down the most is in investment accounts.  I try to enter a trade and it takes 60 to 90 seconds to enter the transaction after i hit save.  I can't believe they are advertising 2019 version as the fastest version yet when I experiencing the exact opposite in 25 years.

ADAWD,
    Have you performed the actions shown near the top of this message thread (Mondo Patch install and Validate procedure)?
    Can you also show and tell us about the File Information requested?
    Everybody's problems are different. If you would like to discuss this in detail, please start a separate NEW POST and give us all the pertinent details.
    edited November 2018
    GeoffG said:

Did all of the above. No improvement.  Started by doing all three Validate options available. Made a copy of the file using the quicken file copy option. Completely deleted quicken and did a clean install using all methods to remove all scraps of the previously installed copy of quicken.  Did yet another Verify operation.  No appreciable improvement.  Still seems related to the Bills and Income tab.  I'm convinced that there is an issue with indexing the file data related to that tab's function.
  • Dean RampyDean Rampy Member
    edited January 13

I've been using quicken
    seconds.  

I have the same problem.  I have been using Quicken since 1998.  I talked with support about the problem and their advice was to keep the transaction history for only the past 1-2 years.  That makes this program totally worthless.
  • DaronDaron Member
    edited December 2018
    Also a Quicken veteran back to 1998.  2018 slowed down for me at annoying levels but 2019 has become a joke with no improvements shown.  One-step update takes forever.  Editing a transaction in any account yields similar lag times indicated above.  Latest version installed today with zero improvements.  On a new Dell less than a year old with a zippy processor, plenty of memory, and lots of HDD room.  I also am surprised there are not more posts out here about this.  I'll go through steps above and report back but am not expecting I will see anything different...
  • Bob StevensBob Stevens Member
    edited December 2018
    I also had this same problem but solved it.  I had installed Iolo's Phoenix360 software suite and purposefully left the antivirus component uninstalled because I was already using Norton's Antivirus.  Today I realized that Iolo went ahead and installed its antivirus utility onto my system too -- so I had dual antivirus utilities running.  Upon disabling Iolo, Quicken is back to normal operation speed again.  I'd suggest that if any of you are having speed issues that you make sure that you're not conflicting with antivirus.  Don't have more than one antivirus utility running and if it's slow try disabling it to see if Quicken's performance improves... 
  • Rob BarkerRob Barker Member
    edited December 2018
    I've done all the things too, re-installed, updated, turned off anti-virus, turned off firewalls, ran in compatibility mode, etc.  Also a 20+ year user but archive every couple of years - largest account has less then 6k transactions.  For me, the slowness happens all over but is most noticeable and frustrating simply entering transactions in an account view.   First several transactions (doesn't seem to be a specific pattern) will enter fine then the hangs start - simply tabbing to the next field, or clicking any button will hang for, yeah probably around 8 seconds, seems longer at times.   In task manger, when this happens Quicken goes to 'not responding' until it clears.  While it's not responding I can't click anything - cursor sometimes disappears from Quicken window, sometimes hovers and I can try to click.  Clicks and any typing done while not responding will cache and then will release when the 'not responding' clears. I can't see any memory, disk, or network activity that could be accounting for the problem.  PC isn't super flash but win10 with latest updates and about a year old and is otherwise quick and responsive.  Quicken just updated itself today.  still this problem persists
  • Adam PressmanAdam Pressman Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Steve D said:

Indeed. I call it Quicken on Mars. Every mouse click or Enter key press takes 7 to 10 secs for a response. I've about 4500 transactions in the slowest account and it does appear a little faster in accounts with just a few hundred. I've done all that is cited here and this is MUCH slower than the prior release on the same machine.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member
    edited January 10
    Quicken freezes on me often. It doesn't respond and it acts odd when I select things. If i choose a down arrow it collapses the entire menu before I can view it right after I select for it to expand.

I'm running Quicken Deluxe
    2019 Ver R16.14 Build 27.1.16.14

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit with 8G of ram

I find dealing with the Bills and Income section is painful. It takes forever to change from screen to screen. Sometimes selecting my accounts will freeze quicken as well.
    edited January 27
    SuzieQ, thanks for including the Task Manager image.  While Quicken shows Not responding, I believe it can enter that state (notice CPU usage is still > 0) while waiting for online input (ie. online bills).  While I know this is frustrating and other users are posting similar issues, I'm wondering if it's more environmental and not Quicken.  As I've stated before, I am not experiencing any response issues, but when going from tab to tab, it does take a few seconds for the data fetch to generate the new screen. 

I notice you use Chrome.  I had a previous getsatisfaction user express an issue that could not be resolved even with Quicken support.  If I recall correctly, he was able to identify his issue to a firewall setting  within Chrome.  I believe he set the default browser to IE 11and he was able to resolve the issue.  As a test, can you change default to IE 11, reboot and see if there is any improvement?

I found the post: go to "Problem Solved!"
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/chase-cc-locking-up-quicken-in-one-step-update

• SuzieQSuzieQ Member
    edited January 2
    I don't use the online portion of Quicken other than manually requesting the One Step Update Retrieval. My file is on my computer only. I was not doing an update that at the time of the screenshot. I was only going from different tabs of the Bills & Income section or changing to different accounts.

My default browser according to my OS is Edge. I had Chrome open at the time. I've noticed the lag has been worse since a recent MS OS update. I notice that Skype and photo viewer are taking more memory. I ended them in taskmanager. Quicken responded well for a while then started the lag again.

I suspect something has a memory leak. Quicken is the only thing that has a failure to respond. It's either the problem or what shows there's an issue.
  • Chip RodgersChip Rodgers Member
    edited January 2
    Steve D said:

Same here. Been a Quicken user for 25+ years. This is awful! Takes 5 minutes to load Quicken. Everything is like molasses.

I’m on version 27.1.16.14.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member
    edited January 2
    I changed my default browser to IE 11 and it does seem to not have the memory drain like when it was set to Edge. I'm also noticing I need to terminate Skype. I had the app and the program installed. I don't have it start with windows. Even though I end task it, it tends to come back on. I uninstalled one and terminated the other to see if it comes back. I don't think it's Skype though.

I have Chrome open to browse the web and I'm seeing quicken not respond when going from selection to selection. I'm trying to recreate it but can't. It's not all of the time. I was seeing the poor response to drop downs earlier without Chrome so there's something else not right with that. I click on a drop down and I have to click on it a few times because the first couple of times will collapse on me before showing the full menu. Like it times out in half a second and goes back to nothing being selected.

I've also often had issues with deposits or other bills not showing when I download them. If I close the app and open it back up, they'll be there. It happens rarely but that's been happening for months and even with the 2017 version. I'm not sure if it's only with Wells Fargo or with other accounts too. I validated my accounts a month or so ago trying to troubleshoot something else. Everything was fine. I don't have too many transactions. I'm trying to find something in common each time. (I just clicked on File three times before it would show the menu. I'm using a wired mouse.)

I think I'll do an error check of my drive, optimize, and move my quicken file to a different folder on a different drive. I'm at a loss.

Update: I just did all of that. Nothing worth mentioning for the state of my drives. I had nothing open when I tested Quicken again with the file in a folder on the C drive. (It was on a different drive before.) I figure having it in the same drive as the program might help. Yet here's a pic of my task manager when choosing different options for the Bills & Income tab. When I click on Bills in particular, Quicken jumps off a bridge. I found the stack view is the closest to what I want so I can split out what account has things due. It's slow...most of the bills views are slow. There's too much bubble gum and not enough pop for what i get in this. I'm tempted to just use Excel. I just want a list of my bills without any animation or cute graphics. Make this thing look film noir if it'll make it respond faster.image
    edited January 27
    Do you have access to another PC/laptop to test performance against?
This discussion has been closed.