Home Quicken for Windows Installing and Updating (Windows)

Quicken Win 2019 Premier Running Slow

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Steve D said:

I've got the same problem. Quicken Premier 2019 (build 27.1.14.27) runs like a snail. When adding a transaction or entering an expense transaction (paying a bill), once ENTER is clicked it takes 8-9 seconds for it to take effect and show on the register. I've timed it with a stopwatch and times are consistently at or longer than 8.5 seconds. I had no problem with the 2018 version. This is making it almost unusable. I've done the VALIDATION as above without any improvement.
    The 2019 version promised that we would "Enjoy a fresh, streamlined Quicken experience". This is definitely not the case, as it is neither enjoyable nor streamlined.

Same problem.  I upgraded from Quicken 2016 which worked fine.  I downloaded the newest version yesterday and it runs like molasses.  I cleaned my computer and rebooted it hoping that would be a quick fix.  No luck.  I restarted Quicken and timed how long it took to launch - six minutes!!!  I called support and was told my computer was the problem.  Not so, I have a brand new Dell with lots of RAM and storage.  The support guy told me to uninstall Quicken and reinstall.  I did that and went through my computer and deleted any file related to Quicken.  I downloaded again, but the same problem.  Then I downloaded the Mondo patch hoping that would do it.  Once again, no luck.  The program runs so slowly that it's not useful.  Where are the Quicken people?  If so many people are having this problem, they need to find a solution. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I use this workstation for CAD and virtual machines.  I get really tired of being told its the hardware, frankly.

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I use this workstation for CAD and virtual machines.  I get really tired of being told its the hardware, frankly.

I never said it was hardware.  I said it MAY be the environment.  That does not mean hardware, that means the interaction of software and operating system in addition to outside interfaces.  There are untold Q2018/19 installations working as intended, so it would seem Quicken software is not necessarily the problem.  Only Quicken Inc. can see and identify this type of issue.  I'm pointing out there may be other factors with ones PC that Quicken Inc. cannot control and cannot code around.  Software firewalls that block or inhibit internet access for Quicken as an example.

Some users look for solutions and others throw up their and hands and cry it's a bug.  I would rather see users explore the possibilities.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

We have seen in the past video drivers that just didn't get along with Quicken but worked fine with other software and changing them cured the problem. 

Finely tuned devices may work fine for some instances and not for others, an example would be a top fuel dragster trying to negotiate downtown NYC traffic.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rob BarkerRob Barker Member
    edited January 2019

There's definatly a link to the 2019 updates, same environment was working fine for me for months and these frequent hangs started with one of the 2019 updates and yes, windows would have had updates and drivers etc and it's very possible it's a combination of things (performance issues like this one are almost always a combination of things.)  It doesn't have to happen to everyone for it to be a bug - but there must be some common thread to those of us facing this issue.   What are/were the video driver issues?  What sort of firewall issues could we be facing?  How could Chrome v IE have anything to do with how quicken responds in it's own user interface?
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

Do you have access to another PC/laptop to test performance against?

I do want to try it on another computer. Thought that was against the license but for testing I'm sure it'd be fine. I could uninstall from the other computer if need be. I may tackle that this weekend if there's time.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I just realized that I had automatic backups set to run under my preferences. (Edit, Preferences, Backup, Uncheck automatic backups.)

I opened the directory for the backups and it started running in August through middle of Sept then again in Jan. I'm wondering if it was shut off by an update (perhaps it's in another folder I haven't noticed taking up space on my computer.) I manually run my backups to a different drive.

Funny enough, I swear Aug/Sept was when I was having slow issues before. Then an update happened and it worked better again.

I'm also seeing that I have animations turned on for Setup preferences. I'm going to uncheck that as well. I've seen animations be an issue with other programs before. When I would send a file in Office as an email attachment, my keyboard strokes would only take a few keys and skip others. I turned off animations and it was helpful. Granted this is not the same product...but what if.

Someone mentioned the quicken file being on a cloud service. That's what made me look into the preferences. I had moved my quicken file. My backup folder was still there from before moving it. It was November and December dates. I upgraded to the newer Quicken in November. It was probably a black friday deal or something of the sort that made me finally upgrade. I was upset that 2017 was slow as well. It's funny to see backups from then too. It does seem to be working better but still has a lag.

Also, I updated a video driver. I used to get prompted but haven't in some time. Not sure how much that will help.
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

No need to uninstall on your "production" system.  Quicken allows up to three installations, and I believe the 2019 release is even more allowed.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

I hope to try another pc this weekend too but may not have time.  I did disconnect mine primary machine from the network/internet to see if that helped (thinking cloud or firewall type things) but the hangs came back all be it after a couple of days.    Interesting re auto backups, I'll switch mine off and see...
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

well that was quick - pretty much hung immediately after I switched off automatic backup
    edited January 2019

I've noticed quicken using the GPU engine, this PC uses Intel's built in GPU - I wonder if that is a common thread.  Anyone have these hangs with a separate video card?   Is there a way to tell quicken to not use the GPU?
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I don't think I've noticed it using GPU. I see it in Chrome and Chrome seems to have an affect on the speed.

Windows update slowed everything down substantially today. It was fine when it was done.
    edited January 2019

hmm, i wonder if it is quicken and chrome running *at the same time* - I am not sure that I have seen the problem happen when chrome is not running (it usually is) but it did hang while I was disconnected from the network (but IIRC Chrome was open)  hmmm.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Terry said:

I have the same problem I had with Quicken Premier 2018 for Win as I do now with 2019 version.  When open my Account List it fills my screen even if I adjust it, close it and restart the program.  If I do anything in my Accounts Lists it freezes.  Any thoughts from any body? Or should we ask the Quicken tech guys to take a look at it.  So far this is the only problem I have found with the new version.

Terry

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with tech to resolve the same problem with no luck, 1/09/2019
    edited January 2019

SuzieQ I would recommend against turning OFF auto backup - "I just realized that I had automatic backups set to run under my
    preferences. (Edit, Preferences, Backup, Uncheck automatic backups.)".  There is no performance hit as this process takes place as Quicken is closing and will be devastating if you need to recover a file.
    edited January 2019

yeah auto backup isn't related

I just tried a fresh reboot with only quicken running an the machine disconnected from the network/internet (and Chrome not running) and the slow down started after about a dozen transactions.
    edited January 2019
    UKR said:

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 18.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 will be upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 14.23+ patch released
    10/8/2018

- 2019 ... Release R 14.23 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 12.8 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

3) Everyone in their own separate Community Posts (we like to keep problem solving discussions down to one user per post) ...
    Please provide more
    details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if
    you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding
    16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to
    see the "File Information" window 
    (See below)

Is any cloud backup
    software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is
    running?

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g.
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how
    many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:

- Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you
    have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of
    Transactions".

If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at
    the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of
    Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the
    Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box.
    Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it
    here.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or
    GIF.

To attach the image
    here, start composing your response. At the bottom of the text entry window
    you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera
    icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select and upload the
    captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at
    wherever the cursor is located in the text.

I've created a brand new file, with one account, and started entering transactions.  By about the 30th transaction it started to hang, reporting in task manager as 'not responding' - I think we can safely rule out large files.
    edited January 2019

Q 2019  R14.27  B1.14.27 
    EXTREMELY slow to load and then works ok...
    i7 w/ m.2 SSD and 16 gig Ram.
    Get it Fixed!

windows 10 64 bit?
    edited January 2019
    SuzieQ said:

Quicken freezes on me often. It doesn't respond and it acts odd when I select things. If i choose a down arrow it collapses the entire menu before I can view it right after I select for it to expand.

I'm running Quicken Deluxe
    2019 Ver R16.14 Build 27.1.16.14

I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 bit with 8G of ram

I find dealing with the Bills and Income section is painful. It takes forever to change from screen to screen. Sometimes selecting my accounts will freeze quicken as well.

I'm starting to think 64-bit is contributing to this problem - I created a brand new data file on my 64bit machine (the one I always use Quicken on) and it only took about 30 transactions to start slowing down and see 'not responding' in task manager.  I've installed quickin on an old 32 bit laptop and so far, it seems to be working with a small test file.  I'm going to copy my data file to the old laptop and work off that for a while and see hot it goes.   If it's ok, I'll upgrade the os to 64 bit and see how that goes.  
    edited January 2019
    GeoffG said:

I'm moving my datafile to an old laptop with 32bit windows 10 installed (and updated) and so far it seems ok.   Those of you who don't see the problem, who is on 64 bit windows 10?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    UKR said:

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to
    ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the
    required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 18.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... Release R 17.4 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2018 will be upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 14.23+ patch released
    10/8/2018

- 2019 ... Release R 14.23 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2016 ... Release R 7 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- 2017 ... all users should have been updated to 2018 already

- 2018 ... Release R 12.8 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows

( * minimum required
    release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even
    if you are on the latest release already:

Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch
    file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click
    "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when
    done with the above.

2) Validate

Validate your
    Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this
    procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of
    your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file, skip directly to the last
    step.

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and
    "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being
    validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your
    problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors
    logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text.
    Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is
    being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.

- Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and
    restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it
    works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

3) Everyone in their own separate Community Posts (we like to keep problem solving discussions down to one user per post) ...
    Please provide more
    details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if
    you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding
    16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to
    see the "File Information" window 
    (See below)

Is any cloud backup
    software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is
    running?

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g.
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how
    many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:

- Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you
    have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of
    Transactions".

If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at
    the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of
    Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the
    Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box.
    Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it
    here.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or
    GIF.

To attach the image
    here, start composing your response. At the bottom of the text entry window
    you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera
    icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select and upload the
    captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at
    wherever the cursor is located in the text.

I was on a chat with Quicken support for almost two hours. He had me create a test file and enter a few transactions. They worked fine so he declared there’s nothing wrong with the program and it must be my file. Come on, Quicken. I’ve been building that file for 25 years through many versions of Quicken and never had a problem. After all, it’s a Quicken file. Why does it not work worth a damn on the very latest version? If so many of us are having this problem, why can’t the Quicken techies tackle this problem? How do you even get hold of someone who can actually help?
    edited January 2019

Back to the GPU - I think I might have found the cause.  Early testing looks good...   I loaded Quicken onto a laptop and used that for the last week with no hang problems - while there are a lot of differences between the lappy and my desktop, GPU hardware acceleration seems to be the significant difference.  The desktop has Intel HD Graphics 630 and when i disabled that device in device manager, Quicken didn't hang - even seemed fast.  I checked for a driver update and was surprised that it found one (I thought Win10 did that automagically) and after the driver update I rebooted - unfortunately (or fortunately?) this reboot triggered a large Win10 update - anyway, early testing seems positive.  I'll work this week off the desktop with updated Intel HD Graphics 630 drivers and a freshly updated Windows 10 64bit OS. 

edited January 2019

Nope. scratch that.  POS software, anyone know how to roll back to 2018?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019

I have the same graphics driver and disabled it. It’s still took minutes for Quicken to load, but the transactions did register a bit faster. Make that not as slowly. It’s still not fast and nothing like my previous version of Quicken in which things were instantaneous. I just don’t understand why the smart people at Quicken can’t address and fix this problem.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I do dual screens. This was happening before the dual screen. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. I updated the drivers a week or so ago. I thought I saw things being better then noticed that Norton was having issues. I use Norton off of my Xfinity account. I've reinstalled it twice now.

I just disabled the Intel 3000 just to see how that all works.

Update: It still stops responding but only when I'm resetting my bank account that never works with one step update. It's also freezing when going back and forth between the different tabs under Bills & Income.

The worst however is now projected balances won't show me my balances at all. I keep seeing my stacked bill view. I'm going to disable the NVIDIA.

Second Update: The driver I changed to is not a fan of my tv/monitor. It only wants to use 4:3 ratio.Of my two monitors one is a tv and the other is not. I think I'm going to try to go back to the NVIDIA but mess around with the aspect ratios.

What I'm seeing now is it takes a bit for the Bill stack view to "load" for a better word. Once it displays once, everything goes back and forth between tabs and accounts fine. I re-enabled the NVIDIA and things went back to having more freeze ups.

I'm looking at the NVIDIA Control Panel and may make some changes but I'm not sure where to start. I decided to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 from date 3.22.2018 Version 23.21.13.9135 to date 11/14/2017 version 23.21.13.8831.

None of this made any difference. Going to 4:3 seemed to work well but still had freezing at the bills. The fix was to stop using the tab for the Bills which is a work around and not a fix. A few posts below I have threads that showed me how to change my view so I can function again.

When I'd start the program, I'd start in the Bills section. Now I do everything from the Home.
  • hellpopshellpops Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Without pointing fingers, updates to Windows 10 1803,  KB4023057 and KB4100347 installed two days ago (after a number of failures) and Quicken since has been more responsive. Holding my breath and crossing my fingers...
    edited January 2019
    I found it responsive with the latest Win10 updates - but only for a little while, the slowness eventually returned.   Watching task manager carefully I noticed spikes in Disk activity around the same time as Quicken shows 'not responsive'  - my data file was on the D drive (Quicken is on C drive) and there are substantial differences -  D is mirrored Intel raid HDDs, C is a single SSD.  I've found the quickest way to get to the hangs is by doing either a validate file or a copy file (high disk usage activities) and the slowness would hang around for several minutes after either of those activities.

I am getting good results after moving my data file to the C Drive,  I suspect that it has more to do with it being on the same drive as the program, however it's possible the RAID set up is effecting quicken worse then other programs.  Not sure but this is the setup i have been using for years without problem until Quicken 2019

My latest testing is being done with Intel HD Graphics 630 enabled and both quicken program and data files on C drive, an SSD.   It is continuing to be responsive and only 'hangs' briefly after backups, copies or validations but recovers quickly.  I believe that is related to the file size as it doesn't do that with my small test file and normal day to day usage is perfectly fine.   Will see how the week goes!

Anyone else with the problem have the data file on a separate disk?
    RAID or non-RAID?
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    hellpops said:

Without pointing fingers, updates to Windows 10 1803,  KB4023057 and KB4100347 installed two days ago (after a number of failures) and Quicken since has been more responsive. Holding my breath and crossing my fingers...

These didn't help quicken stop freezing for me.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I found it responsive with the latest Win10 updates - but only for a little while, the slowness eventually returned.   Watching task manager carefully I noticed spikes in Disk activity around the same time as Quicken shows 'not responsive'  - my data file was on the D drive (Quicken is on C drive) and there are substantial differences -  D is mirrored Intel raid HDDs, C is a single SSD.  I've found the quickest way to get to the hangs is by doing either a validate file or a copy file (high disk usage activities) and the slowness would hang around for several minutes after either of those activities.

I am getting good results after moving my data file to the C Drive,  I suspect that it has more to do with it being on the same drive as the program, however it's possible the RAID set up is effecting quicken worse then other programs.  Not sure but this is the setup i have been using for years without problem until Quicken 2019

My latest testing is being done with Intel HD Graphics 630 enabled and both quicken program and data files on C drive, an SSD.   It is continuing to be responsive and only 'hangs' briefly after backups, copies or validations but recovers quickly.  I believe that is related to the file size as it doesn't do that with my small test file and normal day to day usage is perfectly fine.   Will see how the week goes!

RAID or non-RAID?

I had my file on a D drive but not RAID. I moved it to C to check for improvement. There really wasn't any. Now I just copy my backup to the other drive.

There was suggestions earlier in this thread about amount of transactions. I'm well under that. My file validates. I have nothing that relates to what they've said in the past, however my file is 30M. My largest problem is bills. I've been using Quicken for years as well.

I'll try resetting my bill reminders to be new as of this year. I don't know if that will make my file smaller or help with it loading my bills but it's worth a try.

Update: I can't reset them. None of them show that they were created earlier than the current date they are due.

However, I found two other threads that may assist me for what I use Quicken for.

The Bills and Income section is now completely useless to me as it freezes and doesn't give me what I need for a view at all. My next comment will have the two threads that I'm pursing.
  • SuzieQSuzieQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

RAID or non-RAID?

Options for viewing Bills if you are having freezing like I am. I still see it freeze but the GUI cuteness isn't holding it back as well.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/viewing-bills-income-section-in-quicken-2019-can...

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/i-dont-like-the-new-bills-view
This discussion has been closed.